Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Zola

Let's hope he doesn't give up after a couple of games and move on for another year. Once the International break is over, we'd be playing mid week just about every week, so there are plenty of chances for the squad players to impress. It's a decision for a player to make, either be an automatic pick at Palace, or compete for a spot at a team challenging for silverware. If he needs a guarantee to play every game, better sell him with a clause.

10 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

He's been issued the #12 shirt, the first person to sport that number since the departure of the legend himself.

RLC has massive, massive shoes to fill. Massive pressure to put on such a young lad's shoulders, I hope he can handle it. 

I think you are over-stating the situation. MASSIVELY!!!

11 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

He's been issued the #12 shirt, the first person to sport that number since the departure of the legend himself.

RLC has massive, massive shoes to fill. Massive pressure to put on such a young lad's shoulders, I hope he can handle it. 

he's doomed i tell ye ! doooooomed !

It's really not working out so far this season for RLC. All he can do is be patient and hope to get some minutes, but when he does he is really going to need to grab the chance and impress Sarri, rather than "coast" through a game as he has a habit of doing.

And things won't be any easier next season, as @RIP Mourinho knows, Mason Mount will be back, straight into the first 11 and push RLC further down the pecking order!

:wink:

Europa League and League Cup games are going to be crucial for RLC. 

He's got to stand out in those matches and show he's got something to offer the first team. 

As things stand, short of injuries and suspensions I can't see him getting any first team minutes in the league, especially once Fabregas is back fit. 

26 minutes ago, Nibs said:

It's really not working out so far this season for RLC. All he can do is be patient and hope to get some minutes, but when he does he is really going to need to grab the chance and impress Sarri, rather than "coast" through a game as he has a habit of doing.

And things won't be any easier next season, as @RIP Mourinho knows, Mason Mount will be back, straight into the first 11 and push RLC further down the pecking order!

:wink:

I'm not nibbling, Nibs!

RLC will have plenty of chances to play this season in the cups and later in the season when we'll need to rest players. He just needs to be patient for now. Harry Kane really forced Pocchetino into picking him due to his performances in the Europa League - hopefully RLC will do something similar. 

Crucial few months for Ruben, Ethan and Hudson-Odoi I think. Being with the first team and not playing. For Ethan and Hudson-Odoi it might be beneficial but for Ruben it can be a bit frustrating. I think Ruben is maybe neck to neck with Ross but ahead of Danny in the pecking order. 

I really hope Sarri will utilize these guys in the Europea League groupstage, FA Cup and Carabao Cup. Main aim is to make the Champions League so I wish we'd be willing to sacrifice at least one of the cups to get these guys on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, evissy said:

I really hope Sarri will utilize these guys in the Europea League groupstage, FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

He has to really, its far too many games for the first 11 to play. I'm expecting all of them to get some decent minutes this year.

2 hours ago, Kentonio said:

He has to really, its far too many games for the first 11 to play. I'm expecting all of them to get some decent minutes this year.

It's a pretty deep squad this year. I can see a change to the entire 1st 11 and still field a strong squad

CHO Giroud Willian

Barkley Fabergas RLC

Emerson Christensen Ampadu Zappacosta

Caballero

It's only the start of the season, I think we need to put things into perspective a bit, we haven't even started playing two games a week yet, as soon as we do we'll see more of Hudson-Odoi and RLC. 

I think everyone knows this is a huge step up for RLC, Southgate put a lot of confidence in him by taking him into the World Cup squad when there were better players than him to take, should we also do the same? Yes, I think so. He has to play more games, same with Barkley, and they will. I don't mean to be harsh but I would say RLC is currently our worst midfielder in the first team, which is pretty good really because he's a good player. I don't think he's better than DD or Barkley, not from what I've seen just yet, but I haven't seen enough of RLC in a Chelsea shirt to properly judge him. He needs to take more risks and cover more ground for me to see what he's fully capable of. 

He's too static at the moment, how will he cope when he's told to run a lot more than he already is? Will the fatigue get to him? Will it make him half the player he is once he adjusts on those mandatory skills? Because let's face it he must improve if he wants his place here, the same goes for Barkley and even Drinkwater (although it looks like Danny will be out the door soon). 

After the International break Sarri will have to use all our players in rotation, if he keeps making one change every game we will eventually be tired and injuries will occur. He has depth especially in games against weaker opposition. Ruben should be ideal to start against PAOK in Greece alongside Ampadu and Hodson-Odoi. No better games to start them than in the Europa League group stages.

47 minutes ago, TrueBlueBIH said:

After the International break Sarri will have to use all our players in rotation, if he keeps making one change every game we will eventually be tired and injuries will occur. He has depth especially in games against weaker opposition. Ruben should be ideal to start against PAOK in Greece alongside Ampadu and Hodson-Odoi. No better games to start them than in the Europa League group stages.

Very true. We go from 1 game a week to one every 3 days now virtually up until mid December so Sarri will have to rotate or players will suffer burnout by Christmas. However we’ve been saying this the last few years and not many of them have got a run out. Will Sarri be different will have to see! 

3 hours ago, Remodez said:

He's been subbed in twice in 4 games, that's more than I thought he would get so promising signs so far.

I'm not sure he would have seen any minutes to date had Fabregas not been injured. 

I'm intrigued to see who ends up missing out once everyone is fit and available and wonder if we might start seeing Kante and Jorginho getting subbed off in the future.