Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Big loftus-Cheek fan and always maintained that he’d make it and prove to be a very effective player for us, thought I’d been proven right two seasons ago. Been very unlucky with injuries, although he does have a reputation for being too injury prone, sadly they seem to of taken a toll on him already, physically and I think mentally in a big way. I wonder what’s going on in his head, undoubtedly there is still a really talented player here, but it just seems he’ll never turn this dark period around, I hope I’m wrong, he’ll be looking over his shoulder now as well at Gallagher and Anjorin etc...just can’t see him staying at this point.

Injuries have been cruel to RLC.  I hope he has a fantastic season at Fulham and builds his confidence back.  I've always struggled with him, and while slightly harsh given how much time he has spent out, for 24 or 25 years old I still don't know his best position or what he has really accomplished.  Hopefully his best years are ahead of him - would be great to see him back driving forward again.

8 minutes ago, The Brit said:

That stupid friendly on a pitch sunday league players wouldn't relish playing on has a lot to answer for. 

I think thats a bit of a easy out that game, its been proven since that theres every chance RLC would be injured in other situations anyway. Not to say it wasnt stupid because of the pitch, not so much because there was a game as I still think we needed that game and it helped us win the cup.

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think thats a bit of a easy out that game, its been proven since that theres every chance RLC would be injured in other situations anyway. Not to say it wasnt stupid because of the pitch, not so much because there was a game as I still think we needed that game and it helped us win the cup.

Really? Sarri made public comments that we needed rest and was furious when RLC got injured. We definitely didn't need that game, despite it being for a good cause.

On Ruben himself, it's just sad to see him struggle with injuries. Physically he has everything and in that period toward the end of Sarri's reign we really saw his potential for the first time. Watching Havertz in recent weeks there is nothing in his locker that Ruben didn't show in that period.

Very sadly he hasn't looked the same since the achilles injury. I hope to see him in our colours again but I fear we may not.

I've never been convinced he was going to make it here. He's a reasonably tidy player, good at holding the ball and can go on the odd run through midfield, but other than that he's never really had much to his play. He's not a goal scorer. He's not a ball winner. His final product was never particularly great. There are lots of others who would be ahead of him, even if he was fully fit.

Bit unfair to label him as "not a goalscorer" as he did get 10 in that Sarri season, from 17 starts and 21 sub appearances.

If you dig into the detail though, the goals were against Bate Borisov (3), Burnley, Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff, Brighton, Watford and Eintracht Frankfurt, which does sort of suggest that maybe his level is a bit below what we actually aspire to.

He's a bit like that cracking looking girl that is a bit limp when you get her in the sack ... the idea of RLC being better than the actual reality ... 🙂

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Really? Sarri made public comments that we needed rest and was furious when RLC got injured. We definitely didn't need that game, despite it being for a good cause.

My opinion is we did need that game, otherwise we go more than 3 weeks without a game in the lead up to a European final which is hardly ideal for game readiness.

Can't judge about him only not starting one game when most teams are regularly rotating. 

He needs regular playing time and match fitness. By the end of the year I think we'll have a clearer picture of whether RLC has any hopes of getting to a level where he has a future at Chelsea. 

20 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Can't judge about him only not starting one game when most teams are regularly rotating. 

He needs regular playing time and match fitness. By the end of the year I think we'll have a clearer picture of whether RLC has any hopes of getting to a level where he has a future at Chelsea. 

I feel coming from a club with PL winning aspirations like Chelsea,  at his age with his experience and going to Fulham who are , most likely relegation candidates, he should be the star of their show, first name on the team sheet, a can’t do without player who starts every game ?

Maybe that will come, but I seriously wonder if the injury has had more effect than we realise ?

I’ve been guilty of overrating players who come through our youth. 

Ruben is becoming a lost cause though and he, in my opinion, had the most talent of the lot. 

Mount has surpassed that. Mount and James are the two standouts now and will hopefully continue to progress at the incredible rate they have been. 

Statistically, Tammy is doing well, he’s just not easy on the eye with a poor touch and movement (This has improved this season) but he keeps popping up with a goal or assist. So I’m happy he is still here. 

CHO clearly has zero faith from the manager. He will be gone as he has been managed poorly. There is a reason there is big interest in him, I just wish the manager could see his potential. 

Gilmour is still too young but he’s an unreal talent. High hopes for him. 

42 minutes ago, MayosNoun! said:

I’ve been guilty of overrating players who come through our youth. 

Ruben is becoming a lost cause though and he, in my opinion, had the most talent of the lot. 

Mount has surpassed that. Mount and James are the two standouts now and will hopefully continue to progress at the incredible rate they have been. 

Statistically, Tammy is doing well, he’s just not easy on the eye with a poor touch and movement (This has improved this season) but he keeps popping up with a goal or assist. So I’m happy he is still here. 

CHO clearly has zero faith from the manager. He will be gone as he has been managed poorly. There is a reason there is big interest in him, I just wish the manager could see his potential. 

Gilmour is still too young but he’s an unreal talent. High hopes for him. 

Callum managed poorly, I don't think so. Frank will play the players who have the right qualities and attitudes, and he has already stated that Callum needs to show more than he has.

Edited by Malcolm9

I don't get the 'poorly managed' thing. How is he poorly managed, or even destroyed, as someone posted? What are the signs of this?

The starting eleven are presumably picked with a system in mind that is supposed to be beat the opponent of the day. If CHO or anybody else is not in the starting line-up, then they either don't fit the strategy (but might be if the match pans out a certain way), or they aren't giving what the manager wants them to give. In the latter case, they may still make the bench because you just never know about the bad luck we may have with injuries during a match.

Surely a top team battling for silverware and CL qualification is about the results. It's not about giving someone playing time because the fans desperately want him to succeed, and cry 'mismanagement' because they're not getting their way. If CHO needs more TLC and nurturing, perhaps he should go back to the reserves. If he needs more playing time, he needs to go on loan. Knuckling down and cutting down on potentially harmful behaviour undercutting his potential and his opportunities is also an option, obviously.

OK, this should really be in the CHO thread, but it partly applies to RLC as well :wink:

Edited by Valerie
23 hours ago, Sindre said:

Benched again for Fulham yesterday evening. Seems to be behind Bobby Reid in the pecking order and he's useless.

He needs to turn that situation around or it's curtains for his Chelsea-future i'm afraid.

no he was not on the bench.. tied searching online but could not find any injury news either.. this was always the risk in joining a relegation threatened fulham.. they will always look at shoring up with defensive options when in trouble.

He came on at 83 mins yesterday, I feel sorry for him, I just think the injuries have taken their toll and he has to pace himself.

Teams like Fulham need hard workers and if RLC has to pace himself it will be tricky for him.

Perhaps he might do something from the bench like a super sub.

Our other injury prone MF, Barkley is doing well and was heavily involved in Villas 3-0 over Arsenal yesterday.

On 03/11/2020 at 08:28, dkw said:

I`m going to be absolutely gutted if we see RLC leave the club and not play to his obvious talent due to the injuries he has had. I honestly believe he had everything needed to be an absolute start at our club but unfortunately now I can see him drifting down the league levels. 

The worst part is D, is that RLC would've loved it last season. Last season was the time when every young player got their chance to break through, and he wasn't availabile due to injury. What a season he could've had if he was fit to play? He looked like he was about to break through under Sarri until that stupid injury he caught. 

Such a shame... 

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

If he can't get games at Fuham, what hope does he have with Chelsea? Either he's injured, or Scott Parker and his team has found out RLC is way overhyped. For a team as desperate as Fulham, they'd play anyone if it gives better chance of winning.

Fulham was always going to be a strange loan destination. He needs to be at a mid table team, strange that he himself opted to go to Fulham if reports are to believed.