Ruben Loftus-Cheek

5 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It's harder to show some quality when he's playing for such a weak side, but there is still time for RLC though, he just got there.

I actually think it's easier, you're more likely to be considered a teams talisman lower down the table, there isn't the constant pressure to win and teams don't park jumbo jets infront of the goal.

Many players that starred for a Fulham/Palace/WHU level side but have been unable to make the step up effectively (SWP, Ben Haim, Begovic, Sidwell, Moses as a winger examples from us alone) and some flop at a top team then find their level further down (Fabianski prime example).

36 minutes ago, Argo said:

I actually think it's easier, you're more likely to be considered a teams talisman lower down the table, there isn't the constant pressure to win and teams don't park jumbo jets infront of the goal.

Many players that starred for a Fulham/Palace/WHU level side but have been unable to make the step up effectively (SWP, Ben Haim, Begovic, Sidwell, Moses as a winger examples from us alone) and some flop at a top team then find their level further down (Fabianski prime example).

Well you're right, but it takes some time to build the team around him though... He's like getting the ball in the opposition half and if nobody is making a run or making space... His only option is to run by 3-4 players and shoot. With us he could do great moves with 1-2 touches or simply score after 1 touch.

2 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I'd keep one of Barkley or Loftus Cheek. One injury to either of Mount, Kova or Havertz and it leaves us a little short.

Imagine that they were both to play out of their skins between now and May 21, to the point where we are all screaming at the club to give them new contracts for a further 5+ years, it begs the question as to why didn’t they perform that way whilst they were in the squad previously ? There may be reasons, none of which spring to mind with Barkley ? but I can’t help but feel that they have both had their chance at our level , that neither is or will be good enough to start regularly and don’t equal the quality of player FL is looking for to match his ambition for the club ? 

I think Barkley can have his moments when he feels like it, but I don’t think he would be happy being a permanent substitute and I actually think he’s worth more than that - he would be better off playing regularly somewhere than hardly ever at Chelsea. I fear RLC’s recovery from injuries are a problem that may never be properly fixed ?

Besides, when I’m looking at Silva, Chilwell, Ziyech, James, Mount, Kante, Mendy, Havertz, Pulisic and Werner I see the potential for achievement that I don’t see with RB & RLC, I also see the clubs ambition and I believe the maturing of existing players on loan or in recovery, plus the transfer window of summer 21 will see Frank get the quality players that are currently missing and that will be needed to achieve the PL 21/22.

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Imagine that they were both to play out of their skins between now and May 21, to the point where we are all screaming at the club to give them new contracts for a further 5+ years, it begs the question as to why didn’t they perform that way whilst they were in the squad previously ? There may be reasons, none of which spring to mind with Barkley ? but I can’t help but feel that they have both had their chance at our level , that neither is or will be good enough to start regularly and don’t equal the quality of player FL is looking for to match his ambition for the club ? 

I think Barkley can have his moments when he feels like it, but I don’t think he would be happy being a permanent substitute and I actually think he’s worth more than that - he would be better off playing regularly somewhere than hardly ever at Chelsea. I fear RLC’s recovery from injuries are a problem that may never be properly fixed ?

The argument would be that both had injuries and haven't played regular football since 

15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Besides, when I’m looking at Silva, Chilwell, Ziyech, James, Mount, Kante, Mendy, Havertz, Pulisic and Werner I see the potential for achievement that I don’t see with RB & RLC, I also see the clubs ambition and I believe the maturing of existing players on loan or in recovery, plus the transfer window of summer 21 will see Frank get the quality players that are currently missing and that will be needed to achieve the PL 21/22.

Don't think thats a fair assessment of RLC. Majority of the times he has performed well when given the chance, same can't be said for Barkely. Even when RLC has had bad games he's not been as bad as Barkley on a bad day.

12 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Don't think thats a fair assessment of RLC. Majority of the times he has performed well when given the chance, same can't be said for Barkely. Even when RLC has had bad games he's not been as bad as Barkley on a bad day.

Of course these matters will always be subjective, but I don’t remember being as excited about either player in the way I was about Ziyech after Saturday’s game ?

Like many, I had great hopes for Ruben, but sadly, for whatever reasons, it hasn’t happened for him and I don’t now believe that it will at Chelsea - I just don’t think he’s capable of being at the level that is needed to play for Chelsea ?

In Ziyech and some others I see potential, desire ambition and ‘what could be’ that I didn’t  see when watching RLC or RB before their loans I’m afraid ? 

On 12/11/2020 at 16:34, Remodez said:

I disagree, reason he hasn't built on his promise is because he's lost tactically in terms of how to regularly influence a game. 

On 14/11/2020 at 23:06, Argo said:

We have Gallagher who's progressing really well, he should be considered ahead of both now, especially Ruben.

Saw him in a few games .. seems a good honest worker but I haven’t seen the quality on the bell yet.. to consider him ready to start with the current lot we have..

8 hours ago, Jangz said:

Saw him in a few games .. seems a good honest worker but I haven’t seen the quality on the bell yet.. to consider him ready to start with the current lot we have..

But that's the thing (and it often gets lost in translation regarding promoting young players) we don't nesseserily need him to be a starter.

We also need squad players who can come in and do good jobs (especially from tactical POV's) when we need to rest key men or there's injury's.

If Conor can be that type of player for us then it saves us digging into the market and spending £30m on similar, £30m which can go towards pushing the boat out for a world class CB.

Edited by Argo
5 hours ago, Argo said:

But that's the thing (and it often gets lost in translation regarding promoting young players) we don't nesseserily need him to be a starter.

We also need squad players who can come in and do good jobs (especially from tactical POV's) when we need to rest key men or there's injury's.

If Conor can be that type of player for us then it saves us digging into the market and spending £30m on similar, £30m which can go towards pushing the boat out for a world class CB.

I think with players like Connor in a squad like ours it will also depend on the manager a bit and even then there has to be one out standing attribute the player brings.. Sir Alex always found a role for combative players in a squad.. AW loved players who could pick a pass in the final third like a TR.. klop also like a high energy/adrenaline player in the front line... Mou liked a big experienced striker... and so on.. 

So for Conor to be a squad player he needs to probably look at a deeper role because in the whole we are good with options.

16 hours ago, Jangz said:

He's a very skillful player from what I've seen earlier. He's just playing within himself this season. Also scores goals.

RLC has had a lot of injuries, might be last chance saloon for him at CFC.

Similarly, I see Barkley did his hamstring yesterday a couple of weeks back he got the winner though even before that match Barkley was doubtful with his knee. 

Seems injuries continue to prematurely end careers for me.

Back to RLC let's hope he comes off the bench and scores or provides an assist.