Thibaut Courtois

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I'm speechless. A colleague who is mostly indifferent to football came to tell me "my club" needs a new goalie. How on earth did he become the first to know for a fact this deal has been done :laugh2:

Still, he's probably right and Courtois is about to leave us. My preferred replacement would be Oblak, but the chances of that happening are small. We could do worse than Cillessen, though. I think he has stagnated by being on the bench for Barcelona, but when he's rediscovered his match fitness he'll do well. Not on the imaginary list of world class goalies, but Chelsea FC are not on their list either anymore.

Edited by Valerie

1 minute ago, evissy said:

Because we are desperate. 

But we’re not. 

We’re not going to sell Courtois until we have a replacement in place.

If we can’t find one we’ll make Courtois see out the final year of his contract because in the grand scheme of things losing out on £30m isn’t something to stress over when our chances of getting back into the Champions League are greater with Tibo here for the year than selling him and getting in a sub par replacement. 

2 hours ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

So Navas is going to the bench?

Can’t see it personally, Navas is a better shot stopper and has a better distribution. It is Courtois forcing the move, Madrid have chased De Gea for 2 seasons, had a bid rejected for Kepa and were initially after Allison but put off by the price. Courtois is a low cost option and I reckon he would get a reality check when he has no protection in front of him, Ramos and Marcelo often get caught out of position. 

I wouldn’t mind us asking for Navas as a short term stop gap alternative.

15 hours ago, nelson1 said:

Hooked and reeling the Jock in, cock in one hand, keyboard in another.

You'll do well here, just joined (or re-joined, I suspect)  and abusing people already.  I'd give it a week and a half.

12 hours ago, Total-Football said:

It is indicative of a larger aspect of Courtois weakness that makes me think he won't be missed. I don't see how we aren't a better team if we replace him with Alisson who not only facilitates Sarri's style better but also had more decisive moments last season.

So, did you watch  every match they both played last year, in full?  NOW I understand the total-football tag!

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

You'll do well here, just joined (or re-joined, I suspect)  and abusing people already.  I'd give it a week and a half.

So, did you watch  every match they both played last year, in full?  NOW I understand the total-football tag!

I watchedpretty much every Chelsea game last season and also watched Roma in the Champions League and against Napoli. He pulled off great performances in at least two games that saved his team points whereas I can't think of a game last year that Courtois managed to win points for us. I just think he is being overrated in this thread and we will be better if we replace him adequately.

14 hours ago, Total-Football said:

He isn't world class and when we replaced him with Caballero (who is sh*t) we barely noticed a difference in our performance levels. Plus Sarri won't like how awful he is at playing the ball out with his feet.

He isnt World class? He's top 3-4 for sure and are now losing him for free practically........anyhow, we have made so many mistakes the last 3 years and this is one of them. Why are we in such a clusterf**k? The Club must have known all this.......

1 hour ago, atomis said:

He isnt World class? He's top 3-4 for sure and are now losing him for free practically........anyhow, we have made so many mistakes the last 3 years and this is one of them. Why are we in such a clusterf**k? The Club must have known all this.......

Him being top 3-4 is more a ringing indictment of how poor goalkeepers are nowadays, then any praise for his ability. Although even then I could name 5/6 players who outperformed him last season. He was bang average last season.

5 hours ago, Brutos said:

Resign Cech he will get a huge lift coming back and will do a good job in a team that can defend

Cech is long past his best and even if he wasn't there would be massive question marks on whether he can play in Sarri's system, everytime we tried a high line in his time he was sketchy at best.

Praying for a miracle and somehow Courtois has a change of heart. 

Considering Liverpools bid for allison wemt public yesterday, you would think if we were serious about him, we wouldve responded. 

So either we were put off by the price, we already have someone else lined up, or we are still trying to negotiate a renewal with Courtois. 

3 hours ago, Total-Football said:

I watchedpretty much every Chelsea game last season and also watched Roma in the Champions League and against Napoli. He pulled off great performances in at least two games that saved his team points whereas I can't think of a game last year that Courtois managed to win points for us. I just think he is being overrated in this thread and we will be better if we replace him adequately.

I don't think anyone in here is saying just sell him we are OK with Willy on goal (well, maybe some), but most recognise that the tricky bit is replacing a good to top (depending on the opinion of each poster) goal keeper with a decent replacement in such a short time. Even you recognise this, see the bold highlighted part of your message. Now, how do we get a top goalie to replace him in 2-3 weeks' time assuming our first choice is going to Liverpool?

1 hour ago, Total-Football said:

Him being top 3-4 is more a ringing indictment of how poor goalkeepers are nowadays, then any praise for his ability. Although even then I could name 5/6 players who outperformed him last season. He was bang average last season.

He wasnt at his best many times yes but still well worth the admission.......and just now I read pool have agreed 66m for Alisson......for 66m he can go there for all I care.

I still believe hennas a good season in him, paying 5 million for Cech for one season find a proper replacement Vs £50+ million for someone who could end up being horrible for me makes better sense. The only keepers that can replace Tibo are Olbak and De gea and both are unattainable

Cech is long past his best and even if he wasn't there would be massive question marks on whether he can play in Sarri's system, everytime we tried a high line in his time he was sketchy at best.

5 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Cech has one great season left in him for us. Pete will turn it on once he gets back in blue. Don't underestimate motivation and pride

He hasn't been any good since he left.

Petr is a legend but to say he is still at that level is daft given we have all seen him these past few years, his best days are long gone.

38 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

He hasn't been any good since he left.

Petr is a legend but to say he is still at that level is daft given we have all seen him these past few years, his best days are long gone.

So he leaves Chelsea and magically is no longer any good? I put some weight on Arsenal being sh!t defensively. Szezcney, thought of as poor at Arsenal, now set to be #1 at Juvetus after magically improving after leaving Arsenal 

Pete hasn't exactly been 2006 Cech but we've seen GKs just as old as him thrive. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues