Krc-fan

Thibaut Courtois

On 4/6/2018 at 17:26, big blue said:

Other than sign another keeper and bench Courtois, which would no doubt cause unrest in the squad, there's nothing we can do if he wants to run his contract down. 

If he doesn't want to extend, it would be great to get some money for him, but if we can't, we are best trying to get 1 more good season out of him, and work on getting his replacement in for next summer imo. 

Why? I would not play someone who does not want to play for us, has already decided that we are not in his future and would go out of his way to run down a contract than take a transfer. 

If we are anyways going to lose money, it would be better if we buy his replacement next season itself, bench him for 2 years and let him rot on the bench. 

All this said, I really doubt if we wanted to transfer thibaut, he would not accept it. 

18 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Why? I would not play someone who does not want to play for us, has already decided that we are not in his future and would go out of his way to run down a contract than take a transfer. 

If we are anyways going to lose money, it would be better if we buy his replacement next season itself, bench him for 2 years and let him rot on the bench. 

All this said, I really doubt if we wanted to transfer thibaut, he would not accept it. 

I'm just going off Courtois saying he will definately be here next season. I don't think it's as simple as or as black and white, as if he doesn't want to extend then sell him. 

He has 12 months left on his contract, he is pretty much in the driving seat in this situation. If he wants to see the last 12 months of his contract up, and pick up a big signing on fee somewhere, then we can't force him to do otherwise. 

In that case, I would rather play him for season, than have a disgruntled 100k a week player in the stands, especially since we look like missing out on champions league football. 

Ozil, Sanchez, Goretzka, Lewandowski all refused to extend and played okay in their final year of contract, I don't see it as that big of an issue. 

The club should've dealt with this last summer, while we still had a bit of leverage. 

It's business at the end of day. 

26 minutes ago, big blue said:

I'm just going off Courtois saying he will definately be here next season. I don't think it's as simple as or as black and white, as if he doesn't want to extend then sell him. 

He has 12 months left on his contract, he is pretty much in the driving seat in this situation. If he wants to see the last 12 months of his contract up, and pick up a big signing on fee somewhere, then we can't force him to do otherwise. 

In that case, I would rather play him for season, than have a disgruntled 100k a week player in the stands, especially since we look like missing out on champions league football. 

Ozil, Sanchez, Goretzka, Lewandowski all refused to extend and played okay in their final year of contract, I don't see it as that big of an issue. 

The club should've dealt with this last summer, while we still had a bit of leverage. 

It's business at the end of day. 

Lets agree to disagree. I would not play a player who does not want to be here. 

Sanchez was hopeless for these 6 months. Ozil blew hot and cold like he normally does. Cant say about goretzka or lewa, have not watched bundesliga much this season. 

My reasoning is simple, a player has to be 100% committed to the club to be playing. And I dont see that happening when the player has already made up his mind on leaving the club. I dont see Tibo doing what Cech did in 2012 for the club, when he knows "well next year I will be playing for real madrid, so no worries, will get that elusive CL medal sooner than later". 

8 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Lets agree to disagree. I would not play a player who does not want to be here. 

Sanchez was hopeless for these 6 months. Ozil blew hot and cold like he normally does. Cant say about goretzka or lewa, have not watched bundesliga much this season. 

My reasoning is simple, a player has to be 100% committed to the club to be playing. And I dont see that happening when the player has already made up his mind on leaving the club. I dont see Tibo doing what Cech did in 2012 for the club, when he knows "well next year I will be playing for real madrid, so no worries, will get that elusive CL medal sooner than later". 

I personally agree, I know its awkward but if he doesn't want to sign and commit to Chelsea,then don't expect first team football 

12 hours ago, Argo said:

See that save he made from Stevens late on when he just plucked it from the air and caught it like it was nothing? De Gea would have likely fingertipped it over the bar and it been proof he's the greatest ever!!!

Yes he was very solid yesterday with a real presence about him. A lot pundits talk about keepers and to be honest haven't a clue what their talking about, keepers who fly around diving everywhere are usually in the wrong position anyway, keepers who you see not diving around everywhere and not making mistakes are the ones that know their job

19 hours ago, Argo said:

See that save he made from Stevens late on when he just plucked it from the air and caught it like it was nothing? De Gea would have likely fingertipped it over the bar and it been proof he's the greatest ever!!!

I thought the same thing at the time. Although i have my criticisms of Courtois, De Gea would not have been able to hold onto the ball like that, he would have had to push it over the bar and people would be saying it was a brilliant save.

Thibaut Courtois to sue former Belgium coach Marc Wilmots
Last Updated: 25/04/18

Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and his father are launching legal action against former Belgium coach Marc Wilmots after he accused them of leaking team information.

Courtois released a statement on social media saying he was taking action for "libel and defamation" after Wilmots made the accusation in an interview with BeIN SPORTS.

Wilmots had claimed in the interview that he was told that Courtois' father Thierry had leaked team selections during the 2016 European Championship.
The Chelsea 'keeper, and his father, both deny the accusation, and Courtois said on Twitter: "'Wilmots - not for the first time - reiterates publicly and intentionally accusations against my honour and reputation as well as my father and we decided together to file a complaint accompanied by criminal indemnification proceedings for libel and defamation."

Wilmots was sacked by Belgium following the defeat to Wales in the quarter-finals of Euro 2016, and fell out with his goalkeeper after Courtois claimed "Belgium were tactically outclassed" following their 2-0 loss to Italy.

On 16/04/2018 at 15:58, jack_super_class said:

I'm not praising him until he signs a new contract.

There's been a few tabloids claiming he will see out his contract and leave on a free. I'd be inclined to sign a new keeper this summer and either sell him or bench him. Another player imo who has never had his heart here.

I’ve never fully taken to Courtois, there was always the niggling feeling that he doesn’t care much about Chelsea, more about himself.

I wouldn’t be sad if he goes. He’ll never reach Cech’s level.

16 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’ve never fully taken to Courtois, there was always the niggling feeling that he doesn’t care much about Chelsea, more about himself.

I wouldn’t be sad if he goes. He’ll never reach Cech’s level.

With the possible exception of 10-11, he's better than post head injury Cech was at any point.

2 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

There's been a few tabloids claiming he will see out his contract and leave on a free. I'd be inclined to sign a new keeper this summer and either sell him or bench him. Another player imo who has never had his heart here.

Have a sneaking feeling he will pull that also.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

With the possible exception of 10-11, he's better than post head injury Cech was at any point.

No way. Can you see Courtois making big game saves like Cech has been doing consistently in domestic cups and champions league?

Just think of the 2012 champions league, and that worldie save against Carroll. Also the world class save against Hernandez in FA cup.

No chance Courtois will even come close.

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

No way. Can you see Courtois making big game saves like Cech has been doing consistently in domestic cups and champions league?

Just think of the 2012 champions league, and that worldie save against Carroll. Also the world class save against Hernandez in FA cup.

No chance Courtois will even come close.

Since he's arrived he's played a big part in winning us points against United, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal more times than i can count. And the last domestic cup we won it was thanks to him we didn't get royally spanked in the semi's never mind go through.

He holds all the cards in negotiations. We pay him the big bucks or he refuses to sign, or maybe he'll refuse to sign regardless of what we offer, in which case we'll sell, and he'll get the move he craves. He won't want to stay with us for his final year if we won't play him, knowing if he signed an extension or moved he'd be getting paid much more. A year on lower wages and no games won't appeal. I'll be happy if he stays but if he goes it won't really bother me either. He's a good keeper, not a great one, and there are other good keepers out there. Where he excels is in the air, which is important in the Prem. I don't think he really excels in any other area, though he's clearly more than competent.

Never been a big fan of Courtois. 

With the constant uncertainty around him and his general moody demeanour, I've never taken to him. He's also beena level below the top, top class keeper he was meant to be here. 

He's been okay-good mostly, occasionally very good, but not outstanding.

My memories of Cech, especially pre-head injury, are that he would regularly pull off that one crucial save In a game, something that would ensure the result remains intact. 

With Courtois though, he's been steady-good a lot of the time but when those crucial moments In a game have propped up, he's been found wanting too often. 

This season, he's had a few very poor games, most recently against Barcelona. He was a big part of the CL exit. 

Today however, he actually made that telling contribution to save the game. 

20 minutes ago, Bluefog said:

Never been a big fan of Courtois. 

With the constant uncertainty around him and his general moody demeanour, I've never taken to him. He's also beena level below the top, top class keeper he was meant to be here. 

He's been okay-good mostly, occasionally very good, but not outstanding.

My memories of Cech, especially pre-head injury, are that he would regularly pull off that one crucial save In a game, something that would ensure the result remains intact. 

With Courtois though, he's been steady-good a lot of the time but when those crucial moments In a game have propped up, he's been found wanting too often. 

This season, he's had a few very poor games, most recently against Barcelona. He was a big part of the CL exit. 

Today however, he actually made that telling contribution to save the game. 

He saves us points all the time, it's just because his positioning is so good he doesn't need to make the saves for the camera people confuse that with him having it easy and never earning us the points when need be.

If he goes, we will quickly realize how good we had it.