Thibaut Courtois

9 minutes ago, Total-Football said:

He is overrated and lost us the game against Barcelona (among other games as well). His sale won't be as bad as people are making out.

Which other games? Talking purely big games he's only really been bad in two and we won one of them anyway.

39 minutes ago, atomis said:

You can bet your ass it wil be felt.....of course we will. Selling a World class keeper for 30m and bringing a way inferior for more......good job Chelsea.

He isn't world class and when we replaced him with Caballero (who is sh*t) we barely noticed a difference in our performance levels. Plus Sarri won't like how awful he is at playing the ball out with his feet.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Which other games? Talking purely big games he's only really been bad in two and we won one of them anyway.

Burnley 3-2, Man City 1-0 and Crystal Palace 2-1 are games where he let in soft goals that cost us points. It would be okay if he made up for it by winning us games with great saves but he never did last season. Also his crap distribution and hoofing nature was a big part of why we were so poor offensively last season.  He was not missed last season when he was replaced.

If Courtois leaves, which is looking almost certain now, I'd say try and go for one of the following:

Pickford - Young, English, but will be expensive and Everton haven't got the best record with dealing with us
Donnarumma - Only 19, and got lots of potential by the looks of things, if we're looking to build a new generation of players.
Pope - Only 1 year older than Pickford, and looks to have potential as well.

I don't think there is a goalkeeper out there better than Courtois that we could realistically get, so whoever replaces him is going to be a downgrade, in which case, I think we need to think about the future and sign someone young who has potential and a long career ahead of them.

8 minutes ago, Total-Football said:

Burnley 3-2, Man City 1-0 and Crystal Palace 2-1 are games where he let in soft goals that cost us points. It would be okay if he made up for it by winning us games with great saves but he never did last season. Also his crap distribution and hoofing nature was a big part of why we were so poor offensively last season.  He was not missed last season when he was replaced.

Okay, so i am no massive fan of Courtois. Anyone who has seen my posts on him will see that I have problems with some of the technical aspects of his game. If you work out Chelsea's defensive set up you will always score against us because these flaws in his technical make up will be exposed. However, i still think it is thin ice to be pointing at particular games and saying the keeper lost us the game. I don't recall any howlers from Courtois (a la Lloris in the WC final). Therefore yes he may have conceded soft goals but you could always then argue about poor defending, lack of cover from midfielders, a forward player not tracking back thus creating an overload etc.

I am still convinced that the club are comfortable with selling Courtois simply because he doesn't fit the Sarri style and this will simply be down to his poor ability on the ball.

2 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Okay, so i am no massive fan of Courtois. Anyone who has seen my posts on him will see that I have problems with some of the technical aspects of his game. If you work out Chelsea's defensive set up you will always score against us because these flaws in his technical make up will be exposed. However, i still think it is thin ice to be pointing at particular games and saying the keeper lost us the game. I don't recall any howlers from Courtois (a la Lloris in the WC final). Therefore yes he may have conceded soft goals but you could always then argue about poor defending, lack of cover from midfielders, a forward player not tracking back thus creating an overload etc.

I am still convinced that the club are comfortable with selling Courtois simply because he doesn't fit the Sarri style and this will simply be down to his poor ability on the ball.

It is indicative of a larger aspect of Courtois weakness that makes me think he won't be missed. I don't see how we aren't a better team if we replace him with Alisson who not only facilitates Sarri's style better but also had more decisive moments last season.

Just now, Total-Football said:

It is indicative of a larger aspect of Courtois weakness that makes me think he won't be missed. I don't see how we aren't a better team if we replace him with Alisson who not only facilitates Sarri's style better but also had more decisive moments last season.

Agreed, but i think we may have missed the boat with Alisson. I think people may well initially be disappointed with who we get but if the system is right and the keeper is a baller then i think all of these concerns will be forgotten quickly.

As a basic example, and only an example, Yann Sommer is clearly not deemed to be in the same category as Courtois and he is only six foot tall. However he can play with the ball at his feet. If we signed a player like him people would be up in arms but its all about the system and a player like him could be ideal in the Sarri system.

That's how comes the likes of Pepe Reina has had the career he has had. Its about the right style of player fitting the right style of football. Courtois wuoldn't last five minutes with Sarri when he starts shanking the ball all over the pitch (okay that was an exaggeration)

2 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Anyone fancy Big Willy for one season?

If he can cut out the stupid errors and rashness then he would be a decent stop gap. Plus he’s great at pens..

He can't cut out the errors though, they have been persistent all through his career.

he is a back up for a reason 

Edited by Chelsbear

If Courtois leaves, which is looking almost certain now, I'd say try and go for one of the following:

Donnarumma - Only 19, and got lots of potential by the looks of things, if we're looking to build a new generation of players.

I'd love us to sign this lad. He amazing and has had a lot of sh*t flung at him at Milan, plus they are pretty much broke so a halfway decent offer should be enough to get him. It helps that the manager is Italian too, I would say.
1 hour ago, Kev56 said:

40m euros for Courtios, pool are going to pay a rumoured £63m for Allison

The fees paid for keepers when you factor in the fact that it is the most specific role in football are remarkably low.Indeed the fee we received for Cech is currently the 10th highest fee ever paid for a keeper.

if and a big if the offer for Courtois is indeed €40 million it will be just about the world record fee paid for a keeper( the current top fee is Emerson who cost, based on current exchange €39 million) that’s why I find the sums being talked about for Allison as unlikely.

16 minutes ago, terraloon said:

The fees paid for keepers when you factor in the fact that it is the most specific role in football are remarkably low.Indeed the fee we received for Cech is currently the 10th highest fee ever paid for a keeper.

if and a big if the offer for Courtois is indeed €40 million it will be just about the world record fee paid for a keeper( the current top fee is Emerson who cost, based on current exchange €39 million) that’s why I find the sums being talked about for Allison as unlikely.

Always been the same and it's historically been the lowest paid job as well, after the manager. The money used to rise from back to front.

9 hours ago, JM7 said:

Anyone fancy Big Willy for one season?

If he can cut out the stupid errors and rashness then he would be a decent stop gap. Plus he’s great at pens..

Been wishing for this for years but I've now come to accept that at 50 I've stopped growing :biggrin:

In all seriousness making Caballero number 1 would be a disaster on so many levels. Willy tries to play but has proven on numerous occasions he is just not that good. A reasonable shot stopper, easily gets dominated in the box.

He has a decent spring (smaller keepers often do) and has made some decent saves. However one man's acrobat diving save is another man's poor starting position and moving of feet.

Look at Pickford in comparison, similar build, similar spring, but Pickford's starting position can be so aggressive he dominates the area and breathes confidence through the back four, Caballero brings hesitation and indecision to his defence.

When people have said about us going for Pickford I have scoffed at our chances of getting him, but really, are Everton going to be more of a force than us this season, I bl00dy hope not.

I am actually amazed that Pickford is not on the Scouse radar as he has proven he has the potential to be measurably better than Alisson, English quota, and he is the other side of Stanley Park