ForeverCarefree

Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

I should be rejoicing about his consistent sh*t attitude?

Yeah, but hoping or laughing at him having a hard time against WHU isn't any good for us as a whole!

I don't care how much of an ass he might be I just want the team to do well the other strikers playing in the pre-season have done better than Costa so far Traore and Batshuayi.

Costa is a level above lukaku when he is at his best, but i do think lukaku has a couple of gears left in him before he reaches his best. He also has plenty of time to become more of a big game player.

It looks like costa is going to be staying, so the comparison doesnt really matter too much any way, as it looking less likely an either or situation.

If costa wanted out, id have been happy for us to replace him with lukaku, but i think it would be better to sort the defence out first.

We've had loads of players I didn't like, but every single time one of them played for us I wanted him to be brilliant and help us win. Actually wanting a player on your own team to fail in a game because you dont like him is just moronic.

Just because Costa has a low shot to goals ratio, does not mean he is a better "finisher".

Kun, Kane and Lukaku take a lot of shots from outside the box, which costa does not because he is trying to do his "fake" move which the defenders read perfectly 99 out of 100 times. Something which is not accounted for in those stats. 

Kun had 4 shots on goal per game in PL

Kane had 4.2 shots on goal per game in PL

Lukaku had 3.2 shots on goal per game in PL

Costa had just 2.4 shots on goal per game in PL.

And correspondingly Kun scored 24, Kane scored 25, Lukaku scored 18 and Costa just 12.

So stats should be used really carefully because in most cases they can be bogus or just telling half a story.

Rest of the stats give an interesting read too.

Costa won just 1.5 aerial duels per game, Lukaku 2.5 Kun just 0.3 and Kane 2

I have generally seen people cribbing, whining, moaning about Lukaku's first touch but the stats say something else.

Lukaku had 2.2 bad control per game

Costa had 2.9 bad control per game

Aguero had 2 bad control per game

Kane had 1.8 bad control per game

Honestly getting hard for me to find anything that says that costa is a world class striker who cant be replaced with Lukaku.

Stats can be seen on the below links:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/78498

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/24248

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/14260

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/83532

I don't know how that bad control stat is measured, but from watching both players it seems clear as day that Costa is more suited to playing with his back to goal, receiving the ball in tight situations and breaking down packed defences. Diego has far better close control and dribbles past players in tighter situations than Lukaku who I've only seen get past defenders when he has acres of space to use his pace and strength. Lukaku is fantastic when there's space behind the defence to run into, but we don't get that too often and Costa is pretty good in those situations too.

Shut up about stats for the love of God.

Valuable contribution to the discussion  ::clap2::

Edited by Samdwich

Costa is a level above lukaku when he is at his best, but i do think lukaku has a couple of gears left in him before he reaches his best. He also has plenty of time to become more of a big game player.

It looks like costa is going to be staying, so the comparison doesnt really matter too much any way, as it looking less likely an either or situation.

If costa wanted out, id have been happy for us to replace him with lukaku, but i think it would be better to sort the defence out first.

Dear god I hope this Batshuayi is up to scratch and we can all unite behind a quality goalscorer instead of bickering over Costa vs Lukaku.

Is Costa perfect? No. His attitude annoys me, his temperament is jumped on by officials and media and if we got a bid of 50 mil in today's market, id want us to accept it.

Is Lukaku the real deal? Too early to tell. Yes he's got goals regularly, but he's THE man at Everton and games involving them (particularly under martinez) are usually quite open as they cant defend so they have to throw men forward. We have a very different playing style which may or may not suit Lukaku.

Either way, i think most of us, if not all, would agree that the figures being bandied around for Lukaku are laughable. 70 million quid is a joke and if that's the only price Everton will sell for we should look elsewhere.

What an odd thing to say...

An odd thing to say and I'm sure he wishes he phrased that differently.

Why all the anger and vitriol in the replies though? It doesn't take a great deal of intelligence to realize that he too has the teams best interests at hand even if he cannot always communicate it well when worked up. I also wonder how many people would have picked up on this statement in the absence of anyone else already having a go at the poster...

I personally believe that Lukaku isn't Chelsea level.

I don't know how that bad control stat is measured, but from watching both players it seems clear as day that Costa is more suited to playing with his back to goal, receiving the ball in tight situations and breaking down packed defences. Diego has far better close control and dribbles past players in tighter situations than Lukaku who I've only seen get past defenders when he has acres of space to use his pace and strength. Lukaku is fantastic when there's space behind the defence to run into, but we don't get that too often and Costa is pretty good in those situations too.

I doubt it mate. It's simply the fact that lukaku's had a poor first touch a couple of years ago, so most of the people just jump on the bandwagon and exaggerate his every poor touch to the max. In the last season, lukaku's first touch and back to the goal play improved substantially.

Also I feel Costa dribbling is absolutely horrendous. He has just one move (trying to fake shoot) and most defenders read it to perfection.

Lastly, I just bought in stats to counter someone who tried to show Costa as a better finisher theough stats

I don't know how that bad control stat is measured

Neither do i, its such an embarrassing stat to use, according to that same website Lukaku had a better touch at the Euro's then Bale, Ramsey, Ibra, Muller, Lewandowski, Rakitic, Giaccherrini, Nani, Perisic, Payet and Ozil, but anyone who watched the Euro's will know Lukaku couldn't trap a bag of cement 

COSTA OFFERED TO SERIE A PAIR

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been offered to Serie A sides Napoli and Inter Milan, reports Corriere dello Sport.

Costa, who is reportedly unsettled at Stamford Bridge, had been keen to return to his former club Atletico Madrid, but that possibility now appears remote after the Vicente Calderon side snapped up French forward Kevin Gameiro.

According to Corriere dello Sport, the Spain hitman has been offered to Inter Milan and Napoli amid the prospect of Chelsea re-signing Romelu Lukaku from Everton.

Costa would prefer to head to Napoli, but their primary attacking target is Inter’s Mauro Icardi. If Icardi ends up leaving Inter for Napoli, Costa could head to the San Siro as the Argentinian’s replacement.

I think it's now clear he wants to leave, and if we get a replacement we will allow him to go.

Annoying but when you take the rose tinted glasses off you can see understand why he wants to go.

I think it's now clear he wants to leave, and if we get a replacement we will allow him to go.

Annoying but when you take the rose tinted glasses off you can see understand why he wants to go.

based on what? you believe everything you read?

Sometimes I have slagged Costa off but no way is Lukaku better than him and the money Everton want is outrageous. We already have a Lukaku at the club so if Chelsea was going to sign another forward I would like to see someone different. Problem is Chelsea can't attract any forward better than Costa, the only one I can maybe see coming is Cavani.

Good goal and assist today, his movement and timing of his runs are outstanding, clearly looks like he wants to leave and he clearly has a bad attitude and is always sulking.  :laugh2:  :rolleyes:

He clearly wants to leave........erm....clearly.