Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Personally I would like him to become our designated penalty taker (not that we're ever awarded any). 

Kane and Aguero pad out their numbers from the spot, so imagine if Diego did the same? 

With the amount of penaltys we get, it probably wouldnt be worth it! lol

I hope hazard continues to take pens, Im not sure why he stopped last season, he has only missed 2 i think in his career. 

Costa missed a few in spain and he has only took and scored 1 for us. 

We are definitely due a penalty though, djilobodji with a dodgy tackle on Wednesday would be nice!

27 minutes ago, Zeta Orionis said:

Is he ever going to learn English?

I imagine he probably knows a bit and will obviously pick it up slowly purely by being in an English speaking country, but I can't imagine how fussed he is on really getting good at it. He strikes me as the kind of guy not interested in talking to the media (and who can blame him!), so it's probably easier not to/keep it under the radar. Plus he has a fair few Spanish/Portugese speaking team-mates around him.

On 12/8/2016 at 15:47, goose said:

Concur with Just on Costa. Can't claim to have really wanted him in the first place, didn't know enough about him and some on his antics annoyed me but I liked his fight and aggression. First season for us didn't really win me over, although scoring he still annoyed me with his stupid antics, always getting in people's faces over basically f**k all. Last season he was generally sh*te, and as Just states it was all only faux hardman acting. Would loved to have seen him gone in the summer.

It has obviously been the Conte influence this season that has helped change him round but credit to Costa as well. Surely he recognises that he is a much better player without all the hardman antics, snarling at players, puffing out his chest and generally winding the opposition up.

Although Aguero is a great player, he's a nasty,dirty wee sh*te and I'd take Costa in his current form over him any day. Although the press and opposition fans like to label Costa a dirty player I can't say that I have ever seen him go in over the ball intending to hurt players.

On Conti I think that he has an influence on attitudes has not only been on Costa but over the whole team. I think he has instilled a calmness in everyone and has a code of what way to behave on and off the field. Hasn't seemed to be a controversial comment by anyone since he's taken over.

Agree totally here Colin, with yourself and @just

I am slightly amazed at the transformation, and i am glad it has happened.  In the past I'm sure if I had a dig through this thread, I'd posted things like "he's a bar steward, but he's our bar steward,' or words to that effect.  Almost like how Liverpool fans were about Suarez.  No denying that Luis is a great player (and I'm not putting Costa in the same category, yet); however, he was a bit nuts and had to at least have even some of the most Ardent Anfielders rolling their eyes at his antics.

The career path of Costa, for me, bears a slight similarity to that of a certain Didier Drogba.  Arrived with a little hype, not overly well known, could tell we had a useful player if he'd just stop the whining and the play acting, had a rough start, and then developed into a sensational striker, a legend.  Now, it's not exactly alike, but I'm hoping that Costa takes a similar career path.  He's certainly had the change in attitude that we are all loving.

Conte, I truly hope he becomes a long term manager for us.  And I hope he surpasses Jose in the "legendary" status of managers (when I say this, I'm not dismissing Jose in any way).  As you mention, far less controversial comments, and that's just a start.  Conte stays focused on the task at hand; developing tactics, developing a team that knows its role, winning then on to the next objective.  It is so refreshing to see.  Similarly, the "he's a bar steward, but..." comment from earlier about Costa, was true for Jose.  I am a firm believer that Jose's "us versus them" attitude, his falling outs with media, refs, and pundits alike, was actually detrimental to Costa too.

Let me elaborate a little.  Remember that thing that seemed to keep happening with Jose vs Jamie Redknapp?  Now, wee tight trousers is an idiot, don't get me wrong, but he gets a lot of screen time, and time to think after being roasted by Jose; he also has a platform for rebuttal.  His clashes with Jose, as funny as they were, obviously stung.  And remember, it was wee Jamie who was pretty vocal about the "stamp" of Diego's against his beloved merseysiders.  It was Jamie who also started the idea that "if I was Man City, I'd be right on the phone to the FA" immediately after that game.  The dreaded #CostaCrimes

You also had, after tumultuous games, Jose saying that Costa was "man of the match."  When all I remember Costa doing was winding folks up.  We don't get that with Conte.  Conte will recognize the effort, talk about how Costa is working in practice, and then move forward.  It is so refreshing and long may it continue.  A dear friend of mine is Italian, and a Juve fan.  When I text him after Conte's announcement, he replied saying "I don't know if Chelsea realize just how great a coach they are getting.  You will win.

Long may it all continue

Scott

On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 20:38, ForeverCarefree said:

Personally I would like him to become our designated penalty taker (not that we're ever awarded any). 

Kane and Aguero pad out their numbers from the spot, so imagine if Diego did the same? 

Would be intetesting to compare Costa, Kun and Kanes numbers since over the last 2 and a half seasons with penalties taken out.

2 hours ago, chef said:

Would be intetesting to compare Costa, Kun and Kanes numbers since over the last 2 and a half seasons with penalties taken out.

I've had a quick look into this out of interest and this seems to be what i've found just taking into account the league:

Harry Kane

Played: 82

Scored: 53

Penalties taken: 12

Penalties scored: 11

Goals excluding penalties: 42

Goal/game ratio: 0.51

Sergio Aguero

Played: 65

Scored: 60

Penalties taken: 16

Penalties scored: 13 

Goals excluding penalties: 47

Goal/game ratio: 0.72

Diego Costa

Played: 69

Scored: 44

Penalties taken: 1

Penalties scored: 1

Goals excluding penalties: 43

Goal/game ratio: 0.62

Also remember to take into account the half a season Costa took off under Mourinho. Last season Aguero and Kane scored 24 and 25 goals each in comparison to Diego's 12, which will have dropped his ratio massively. 

Looking at this year alone Diego scores a goal or assists 1.13 times a match, compared to Aguero's 0.83 and Kane's 0.8.

Sorry for posting this complete  garbage  but just shows how anything we do makes a story  how sad.   Images from lastnight  showed Costa and others playing with that poor kid with cancer but yet the mirror  talk about this instead.  Like it's a crime to have a joke and that's all it was a joke.  The wording is so over dramatic.  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/watch-diego-costa-pull-disgusting-9462020

4 hours ago, bluegraham said:

Sorry for posting this complete  garbage  but just shows how anything we do makes a story  how sad.   Images from lastnight  showed Costa and others playing with that poor kid with cancer but yet the mirror  talk about this instead.  Like it's a crime to have a joke and that's all it was a joke.  The wording is so over dramatic.  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/watch-diego-costa-pull-disgusting-9462020

Sorry, don't get your point!

41 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

A bit contentious but is Costa a multiple Goalscorer, in the Aguero, Vardy, Sanchez mould, yes he scores a lot of 1s, haven't seen him score many multiples for us?, but I'm not bemoaning his talent...

I was thinking this just earlier and yeah he does seem to score 1 in a game mostly. I don't think I can recall too many times he's scored more than 1 goal per match but he's usually involved with an assist aswell. He's just a different kind of striker to those mentioned. I'd argue he's more consistent, while those will score a few goals per match and that's what boosts their rally's Costa's 1s in matches happen more regularly. If that makes sense.