Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

I'm going to call it now - new contract for Costa. Mendes has many clients other than Costa and has been in China all week so I doubt the visit is just about him though no doubt he's taking advantage of the timing. Costa has likely had a massive offer on the table from China for years, as has probably every player of his calibre currently in Europe. Someone leaked this get the reaction we are now seeing.

Just now, PedroMendez said:

I will wait until i hear something from the club before I make any judgement in all likelihood the press have blow up a story literally out of thin air

Don't hold your breath. The club never comment on anything of this nature, a player has been dropped as far as they are concerned id imagine that's that.

If he signs for a club in China, then you'll get your statement.

1 minute ago, offside said:

If Costa is even considering a move to China, then I'm disappointed, surprised, and disgusted. Perhaps I'm naive. I genuinely thought Costa is someone who plays with passion for the game, not someone who would bugger off to a meaningless league purely for the money. Seriously, what could he buy with a higher salary that can't can't afford on his current salary? 

It's annoying and it hurts but if someone offered you 4 or 5 times your salary what would you do? 

Of course he earns a absolute fortune as it is but someone chucking 30 million a year at you is going to sway some folks minds 

18 minutes ago, Jamjar1986 said:

Dont understand why an agent would travel to china to broker the deal knowing chelsea dont want to sell ??

If and a big if the story is true and an offer comes in north of £80 then I have no doubt whatsoever he will be gone just like Payet at WHU all players have their price and whilst we haven't seen much evidence of players using it at some point a major player like Diego is going to exercise their rights using the Webster ruling and quite simply clubs won't run that risk.

Edited by terraloon
19 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Jorge Mendes have been brokering a deal with Tianjins chairman today according to Simon Johnson in Evening Standard. Clearly something in this lads.

Jorge Mendes brokers many deals being a 'super agent'.

You'll send the poor histrionic buggers on this board into meltdown now.

This may turn out to be something or nothing but for a lot of highly strung people on here  2 + 2 = the moon is made of cheese.

I am concerned for their mental wellbeing.

My tongue is in my cheek by the way for anyone thinking I'm on narcotics.

10 minutes ago, offside said:

If Costa is even considering a move to China, then I'm disappointed, surprised, and disgusted. Perhaps I'm naive. I genuinely thought Costa is someone who plays with passion for the game, not someone who would bugger off to a meaningless league purely for the money. Seriously, what could he buy with a higher salary that can't can't afford on his current salary? 

This is heartbreaking if true even if it doesn't come to fruition. 

:sad:

Well, look, 30m a year, if true, would make almost anyone think. Just because Costa is considering it, doesn't mean he is not in it for the game (btw, he would play football in China, too :) ). It's easy for us to talk, judge and criticise, but he is in a different world entirely. 

We really shouldn't jump to conclusions here as most of us neither know what happened nor what it feels like to be offered something so excessively lavish.

It's just my opinion, but I believe we only have one truly irreplaceable player. If they're offering >=80m and Conte says Costa isn't committed anymore, then give it a serious thought.

Edited by PythonLu
1 minute ago, PythonLu said:

Well, look, 30m a year, if true, would make almost anyone think. Just because Costa is considering it, doesn't mean he is not in it for the game (btw, he would play football in China, too :) ). It's easy for us to talk, judge and criticise, but he is in a different world entirely. 

We really shouldn't jump to conclusions here as most of us neither know what happened nor what it feels like to be offered something something so excessively lavish.

It's just my opinion, but I believe we only have one truly irreplaceable player. 

Branna? :-)

1 hour ago, MissouriBlue said:

Was that the Gigi story? That was amazing!

Apparently Buffon interrupted a half time talk by asking about the players' bonus, and Conte went ballistic on him.  

I can't see any managers responding well to that, and it was dickish on Buffon's part regardless of the fact that they had already won the league. Half time talks are no place to ask about monetary bonuses. 

7 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

I'm going to call it now - new contract for Costa. Mendes has many clients other than Costa and has been in China all week so I doubt the visit is just about him though no doubt he's taking advantage of the timing. Costa has likely had a massive offer on the table from China for years, as has probably every player of his calibre currently in Europe. Someone leaked this get the reaction we are now seeing.

That makes a lot of sense. I sure hope you're right. 

5 minutes ago, john4370 said:

Jorge Mendes brokers many deals being a 'super agent'.

You'll send the poor histrionic buggers on this board into meltdown now.

This may turn out to be something or nothing but for a lot of highly strung people on here  2 + 2 = the moon is made of cheese.

I am concerned for their mental wellbeing.

My tongue is in my cheek by the way for anyone thinking I'm on narcotics.

Definitely are... :laugh2:

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Club is blaming the huge China-offer for the whole situation, Costa faking injury to try to force a move?

According to Law, Roman intends to not sell DC even if he isn't used for the next two years.

If Costa or indeed any contracted player doesn't play a certain % of first team games in a season then that player doesn't need to be sold he quite simply in accordance with FIFA rules on players can  just walk away without any fee being paid. 

even the AP has now confirmed the story, think its safe to say its not just a media blow up

The league top-scorer has not traveled with Chelsea to Leicester following a dispute with the coaching staff, and won't be playing in Saturday's game against the champions, a person familiar with the situation told The Association Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday because they were not authorized to discuss Costa being dropped from the team.

The discord between Antonio Conte's side and Costa follows the striker becoming aware of interest from China, the person said, referencing the country's wealthy and ambitious Super League.

https://apnews.com/3085e896a9694b32a6852a43346588d0

even the AP has now confirmed the story, think its safe to say its not just a media blow up

The league top-scorer has not traveled with Chelsea to Leicester following a dispute with the coaching staff, and won't be playing in Saturday's game against the champions, a person familiar with the situation told The Association Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday because they were not authorized to discuss Costa being dropped from the team.

The discord between Antonio Conte's side and Costa follows the striker becoming aware of interest from China, the person said, referencing the country's wealthy and ambitious Super League.

https://apnews.com/3085e896a9694b32a6852a43346588d0

Well that makes it true then [emoji57] [emoji57]

Could this so happen to be the same person talking to every media outlet trying to stir something up

And this season was going so well...Costa just can't help himself can he? Everything going great for him and the club and he hits the self destruct button...all our rivals will be loving this...Leicester game was big before this after losing to sp*rs, vital we get three points now to dilute the sh*tstorm

Disgusting amount of money being offered here, And c-unts used to whine about our  £30/40k extra per week wages offered, I know it's rich coming from a City fan but the Chinese Super League really is disgusting. We can't do what the MLS has done, No, No, No, We're just going to get our financial c-ocks out and wave them all over the place, Disgusting, Again, I know it's rich coming from me but compare our spending and rise with that filthy money being spent over there, I hope he doesn't go because if Costa goes, Sanchez/Aguero/Suarez could all go and the last thing we want is European football weakened. I hope the Chinese Super League burns and crashes, I'm sorry.

If there was any justice in football Chinese clubs would be clamouring over a 38-year-old Robbie Keane or Landon Donovan or someone like that. In two years' time one of the clubs would sign Berbatov and he'd become the best player in the history of the league. Every so often a news article would pop up about Jermaine Beckford or Bradley Wright-Phillips scoring their twentieth goal of the season.

That's how a cash-rich nothing league behaves if they have any dignity.