ForeverCarefree

Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

Looks like he's off then. Hopefully we can push them for a bit more money if they want him so badly, he was good for us but it'll also be nice to be rid of the biggest sh*thouse in the league. I just hope he gives it his all in the remaining games and goes out on a high note. 

Talk of Aubameyang going to PSG now for 60 million, surely we could hijack that deal with the Costa money, Paris is as rainy as England and if we win the title and get the war chest out to make some big signings i'd say we could get him on board to replace Costa. Sanchez, Aubameyang, Nainggollan, and a Right wingback and I think we'll be in good shape for next year. 

He'll be hard to replace, but at least we'll have more than doubled our money on him and he wont be going to a rival, or any other European league where he could hurt us...

Win the title and then you can go Diego..... if that's what you want! 

I am beyond caring if he stays or goes. Fact is we wouldn't be where we are this season without him. But the way he's been since the turn of the year we've effectively played with 10 men in many games and that's not right. My only issue is who can we get that will do the same job or as good as a job when he's in form? 

In two minds about this.

On the face of it, £76m for a striker who has barely performed since the initial interest surfaced in January is a great deal, and that's a good amount of money to reinvest.

However, what even is £76m in today's climate? Costa's goal record for us is phenomenal, and the fact that he's been so hot and cold and STILL managed that is scary. He went missing for a lot of last season and has been poor January through to the Southampton game. But the fact remains he's scored 19 league goals this season, and scored 20+ in our last title winning season. Without those goals, where would we be?

Clubs around Europe will use this to their advantage. Everyone now knows a) we have tons of money to spend and b) we are desperate for a striker. And guess what? Everyone's price tag goes up £20m. 

I just hope we have been aware of this situation for some time and are already working on a BIG deal to bring in a new striker. As annoying as Costa is he will be sorely missed and we need to find a like for like replacement, which is someone who can guarantee us 20 goals next season, and not just hat tricks at home to relegation fodder, big goals against big sides, and yes I'm referring to Lukaku... Who is likely to cost us similar money to what we're receiving for Costa and in my opinion isn't on his level.

Sad to see Diego go, we've been lucky to have him and it's a shame he's picking money over a terrific career especially as he's in his prime...Hasta Luego Diego

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

That photo looks more like Oscar than Costa from behind tbh.

A bit disappointing that we'd take £60m for Oscar but just £76m for Costa. I was expecting at least £85m.

it's diego, oscar's agent is kia jorabchian, judging from the douchebag bluetooth headset i think thats jorge mendes sitting on the left

3 hours ago, enigma said:

he hasn't been trying for the majority of this half of the season and we're still winning games, so no need to worry now. the disappointing thing for me is the rumoured fee for him at €90 million. i was expecting us to bargain a bit harder, but seeing as he seems to want to leave i guess not much we can do. 

Or, could it be a matter of...........get the Costa deal done now, so that we can be ready with cash in hand to make an early deal on a quality replacement ?

Costa was never going to stay long at CFC, he moaned from the very beginning. Thanks and goodbye

46 minutes ago, Batshuayi said:

In two minds about this.

On the face of it, £76m for a striker who has barely performed since the initial interest surfaced in January is a great deal, and that's a good amount of money to reinvest.

However, what even is £76m in today's climate? Costa's goal record for us is phenomenal, and the fact that he's been so hot and cold and STILL managed that is scary. He went missing for a lot of last season and has been poor January through to the Southampton game. But the fact remains he's scored 19 league goals this season, and scored 20+ in our last title winning season. Without those goals, where would we be?

Clubs around Europe will use this to their advantage. Everyone now knows a) we have tons of money to spend and b) we are desperate for a striker. And guess what? Everyone's price tag goes up £20m. 

I just hope we have been aware of this situation for some time and are already working on a BIG deal to bring in a new striker. As annoying as Costa is he will be sorely missed and we need to find a like for like replacement, which is someone who can guarantee us 20 goals next season, and not just hat tricks at home to relegation fodder, big goals against big sides, and yes I'm referring to Lukaku... Who is likely to cost us similar money to what we're receiving for Costa and in my opinion isn't on his level.

Sad to see Diego go, we've been lucky to have him and it's a shame he's picking money over a terrific career especially as he's in his prime...Hasta Luego Diego

This has already been debunked in the Lukaku thread. Lukaku has scored more goals against bigger teams than Costa this season and on par with most top teams strikers.

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

Be interested to see who we think we can buy as a suitable replacement for £75m or less. 

I think Lukaku is as good as signed already, maybe a fee in the region of £60m.

Will be Morata or Lukaku.

Bellotti been reported but he doesnt strike me as a PL player although not seen too much.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Lukaku. He's refusing to sign a new deal at Everton, he supports Chelsea, he's PL proven, he's young, we've probably got a buy-bakc clause of some kind. It's a no brainer really.

21 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Will be Morata or Lukaku.

Bellotti been reported but he doesnt strike me as a PL player although not seen too much.

belotti does look good, but he's italian and they're notorious for stayng put in italy, even more so if they're highly promising young italian. i can see him going to inter or milan in future with their chinese money. it depends if we play with two up top next season, because if we do then lukaku and morata would complement each other nicely. 

Just now, enigma said:

belotti does look good, but he's italian and they're notorious for stayng put in italy, even more so if they're highly promising young italian. i can see him going to inter or milan in future with their chinese money. it depends if we play with two up top next season, because if we do then lukaku and morata would complement each other nicely. 

Disagree regarding the two complimenting each other. Both are big guys with similar strengths. Be suprised if we sign both (would be well over £100m)

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

This has already been debunked in the Lukaku thread. Lukaku has scored more goals against bigger teams than Costa this season and on par with most top teams strikers.

Maybe so, but I'd take Morata over Lukaku any day if we had the choice of the two. More big game/big club experience and that's the sort of level we should be aiming for.

28 minutes ago, Zola said:

When the chips are down, is Lukaku the type of guy to pull a team together and fight to the end? I am not convinced, yet.

Lukaku is only 23, the only way is up. Where's Costa been since January pulling the team together and fighting to the end. Chelsea have done alright with 10 men.

You know this may well turn out like the whole torres-carroll deals. 

We probably ideally want to keep Costa. I believe conte rates him and would not talk as highly of him otherwise. However as we have seen money talks and it seems more than coincidence that Diego's form dropped like a stone once we turned down the China interest. 

So with that said we do not want to lose Diego and have to pay extra to replace him. So it would not surprise me if Diego's final price does not end up being a little higher than the price of whoever we sign. Just as Liverpool demanded 50mill to cover the 35mill on Carroll leaving money over for them I can see us paying 70mill for a replacement we are likely already negotiating for and getting around 80mill for Diego. If our buying price goes up so likely does the cost of Costa. 

End of the day I am not concerned because we are going to go through a transitional few years imo and I hope we give conte that time to build while we likely are going to become weaker. We have young talents that we really need to bed in to our squad and team. Many key players are getting older and with jt gone we lose a massive leader. Next season will be a slog as we start to rebuild Costa being here or not makes little difference to it imo.