Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

You don't need a target man to counter, I was using the Torres goal sarcastically, if you want to see how to counter attack without a target man, see the Costa goal against WBA in August. Defending is five times harder when sprinting backwards towards your own goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrXpjX6VOw

That was from their corner though. We weren't set up to defend and counter.

If we were to sit back and soak up pressure we need someone to hold the ball up so we can get numbers forward fast and support him.

That's why teams with 10 men will normally play with a target man, rather than someone small but quick.

Otherwise 9/10 it just keeps coming back.

It's a bit different for set pieces because the opposition leave there small quick players back, our target man goes with the big centre backs, and we play speed against speed.

He stopped his pressure on the defence, he stopped shooting, he stopped winning balls for the team. Something is really wrong with him and in our current situation we don't have enough time to wait for his revive. Until he will gain his old form, we need to play other players. We have two players who can play on his role and probably do better than him.

1) Remy - he came on from the bench for the last 10 minutes and already had more chances than Costa had in all game. He has experience and already proved scorer, he can do for us.

2) Bertrand Traore - we still couldn't see the best of him, but he can surprise us and the opponent. He scored 17 goals last season and was good when he played for us. I expect to see him.

Not his worst game this season but still nowhere near good enough.

Can't believe he keeps getting picked, week-in week-out.

I don't rate Remy as a footballer, but he should be our first-choice striker, at least he looks like he wants to score.

Some of the macho bullsh*t Costa comes up with is cringeworthy.

Thinks he's a tough guy.

He's more a poodle than an alsatian.

We need players who will show up and be counted.

He ain't one of them.

According to Talksport he has been reported to the FA by a Stoke steward for 'assault'

I just saw the video on twitter and I suspect the FA will fine Stoke for wasting their time and the Stoke steward will presumably be sacked 

the Vine is on the most recent tweet from this 'Analysts Eye' twitter page for anyone who wants to watch it 

https://twitter.com/TheAnalysisVids?lang=en

I have always said it, even before we signed him, he isn't going to score wonder goals. This guy is all about getting on the end of passes and crosses, always has been.

We made a serious error in signing him if we thought he could be a player that could hold up play, win 50/50 duals, win headers, link up play with the midfielders, play decent passes etc etc. He's just not that kind of player. He's not Aguero, he's not Messi, he's not Suarez, he's not Drogba, he's a hard working goal poacher.

If you want to get the best out of him he need's to stay in the penalty area and have crosses and passes fed into him. If you want him doing anything outside the box, it's all going to go wrong.

Look at his best moments with Atletico Madrid, everything great about him happened in the box. His best moment's in a Chelsea shirt have also been happening in the box. That is just the type of player he is, if we wanted something else then we shouldn't have signed him.

Costa is a shadow of his in form self but had Butland not got his trailing leg to his shot today he might have started to get some belief back, we need some proper competition for his position as it really is hard to picture Remy or Falcao leading the line for more than an odd game here and there.

Surely he can't have lost it over the close seaon and definately the form of Fabregas early last year flattered him but competition for his place is the only way we'll find out for sure.

He looks like he's gone backwards tbh, wondering if injuries have taken their toll

Bobby, I think the injuries and the unremitting crap he has suffered since he arrived have taken their toll. He's been painted a villan from day one and I am sure that when he is on the receiving end of rough treatment from others that goes completely unpunished he must feel that England simply hates Diego Costa. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get back to Spain, he's on a hiding to nothing over here.

I have always said it, even before we signed him, he isn't going to score wonder goals. This guy is all about getting on the end of passes and crosses, always has been.

We made a serious error in signing him if we thought he could be a player that could hold up play, win 50/50 duals, win headers, link up play with the midfielders, play decent passes etc etc. He's just not that kind of player. He's not Aguero, he's not Messi, he's not Suarez, he's not Drogba, he's a hard working goal poacher.

If you want to get the best out of him he need's to stay in the penalty area and have crosses and passes fed into him. If you want him doing anything outside the box, it's all going to go wrong.

Look at his best moments with Atletico Madrid, everything great about him happened in the box. His best moment's in a Chelsea shirt have also been happening in the box. That is just the type of player he is, if we wanted something else then we shouldn't have signed him.

So if he isn't the answer then who is ? who is the alternative

So if he isn't the answer then who is ? who is the alternative

I don't know of any striker that we could realistically sign that would be good enough to play in the system we play. If there was a young Drogba or Ibrahimovic out there we would be set.

When we signed Costa, our tactics and style of play should be be set up to get the best out of him. In the first few months of last season i think that is exactly what we were doing, but since December we have gone back to playing the style we played when we had Drogba. That simple will not work with Costa upfront, if Mourinho wants us playing that style then he shouldn't have signed Costa.

Edited by Scott Harris

Bobby, I think the injuries and the unremitting crap he has suffered since he arrived have taken their toll. He's been painted a villan from day one and I am sure that when he is on the receiving end of rough treatment from others that goes completely unpunished he must feel that England simply hates Diego Costa. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to get back to Spain, he's on a hiding to nothing over here.

I would him blame him either mate

Accused of assault by the Stoke steward now. And to be honest it looks like he stamped him on the clip thats available.

He is being a silly ****

What video is this? The only one I've seen is Diego going to get the ball and the steward making a meal of nothing.

They're on about Jose being in contact via equipment they saw on the bench as well, they really won't give up for a minute.

What with Costa's "assault" and Jose's illegal actions maybe they'll try and get some points off us next just so they can print that we're in the relegation spots.

Edited by Chippy