Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

I get the feeling the FA, along with media members and other football people, were disappointed when Gareth Barry said Costa didn't bite him. (Thumbs up to Barry.)

The media would love nothing more than a juicy biting story to cement the Suarez-esque narrative about Costa. The FA was left looking slightly silly when it emerged that Costa didn't bite anyone (not their fault, it was the media that jumped to conclusions), so it saves face to get him on something else.

Edited by offside

The problem we have is replacing him. For all his negatives we simply gonna struggle to replace him. There aren't many top strikers. I am not an ardent supporter of his, but who else will leave their club for us in summer? Only striker i think would take us to the top again is lewandowski, but that's going to be almost impossible acquisition.

He's gotta go. Sure, on his day he's unplayable, but his day doesn't happen often enough, and he's always an accident waiting to happen. Suarez almost won PL on his own but Costa isn't that good. Get rid of him and get over him. 

Really? I've been critical of his early season fitness but since he got up and running he's had more 'on days' than not.

In the last 10 league games, he's got either a key goal or assist in 8 of them. How many points is that worth? 

For my money, he's been the biggest difference in our 'upturn' in form because he suddenly got fit. He's the only thing keeping us from being in a relegation fight in my opinion. 

Are people really that offended by such a gesture? Its hardly a Nazi salute, if somebody in the heat of a football match gave me a finger I for one would just laugh it off as its just not something to worry about. Also I was unawares based on a lot of football sites that the reverse peace sign isn't widely known as a swear outside the UK.

He's gotta go. Sure, on his day he's unplayable, but his day doesn't happen often enough, and he's always an accident waiting to happen. Suarez almost won PL on his own but Costa isn't that good. Get rid of him and get over him. 

Suarez along with Sturridge and Sterling, let's not forget that.

More often than not Costa is carrying the can in the forward positions, especially this season when goals from midfield have been hard to come by.

Costa is a different type of striker to Suarez, apples to oranges and all that.

It may not be a popular view, but I'd get rid of him, if we could get good money. I admire his fighting spirit and he does work hard for the team but I'm tired of watching the same sh*tty antics over and over again. Every game he plays I expect him to start something out of nothing. Ultimately, I think, it does more bad than good. Costa is not that talented a footballer to justify all that patience from the team when it comes to all this unwanted attention to his theatrics. I realize that he uses these dirty tricks to get under the opponents' skin but by now they figured it out and so did the referees. What's more important, he cannot control himself and it puts the whole team at risk and it happens far too often for my liking.

The real problem is who to replace him with. But make no mistake, we should seriously consider it. He's a loose cannon, has fitness issues and is a  level below what is considered world class.

Edited by abramovich

Suarez along with Sturridge and Sterling, let's not forget that.

It's easy to forget because neither is in the same class as Suarez. He made everything tick and, for some reason, they thought they could get by without him. I don't think Barca would sell him at any price, even if he was a closet vampire.

I think Costa has to go for the same reason SAF would have shipped him out. Nobody's bigger than the club, end of.

It's easy to forget because neither is in the same class as Suarez. He made everything tick and, for some reason, they thought they could get by without him. I don't think Barca would sell him at any price, even if he was a closet vampire.

I think Costa has to go for the same reason SAF would have shipped him out. Nobody's bigger than the club, end of.

Eric Cantona? The guy had an 8 month ban and tried to leave the club but Fergie kept him around and put him straight back in the side.

Costa certainly isn't bigger than the club, but he's been carrying it for the last couple of months.

I am totally against selling him. So what if he has aggression in his game, it isn't really that bad, it's handbags stuff. The game against Everton was a one off in recent times. With the treatment he was getting in that game i think it's pretty sad that so many are against him.

With the luck we have had with strikers, i can't believe that people want us to get rid of him. It's hard enough signing a world class striker when you are at the top, think how much harder it would be trying to get one without any European football.

I am totally against selling him. So what if he has aggression in his game, it isn't really that bad, it's handbags stuff. The game against Everton was a one off in recent times. With the treatment he was getting in that game i think it's pretty sad that so many are against him.

With the luck we have had with strikers, i can't believe that people want us to get rid of him. It's hard enough signing a world class striker when you are at the top, think how much harder it would be trying to get one without any European football.

first incident under guus wasnt it? barry had been kicking him all game but he managed to keep his relative cool and seemed to stop himself from seemingly biting barry which looked the way it was going, the guy needs managing and handling to keep him focused on the game in hand and his aggression just needs to be kept in check by the manager is all.

Two things for me: 1) I love a player to have aggression in his game, Costa though doesn't seem interested in football most of the time he just wants to dish out dirty attacks on the opposition.

2) I don't get that he's been carrying the team at all, he's been decent at times this season and last but if we're relying on a single player to carry us we're more fukd than I thought. His upturn in performances has coincided with a number of other players doing likewise.

Two things for me: 1) I love a player to have aggression in his game, Costa though doesn't seem interested in football most of the time he just wants to dish out dirty attacks on the opposition.

2) I don't get that he's been carrying the team at all, he's been decent at times this season and last but if we're relying on a single player to carry us we're more fukd than I thought. His upturn in performances has coincided with a number of other players doing likewise.

Fabregas is the only player who has had a similar turn around to the season.  Outside of these two I cannot think of another who has done the same.  In fact, quite contrary.  Willian has trailed off, Hazard has been poor as ever, and Matic/Mikel/Oscar aren't providing much (if anything) going forward.  Pedro I guess has turned it around a bit, but he's been injured as well.  Hmm, all three Spaniards...bodes well for their European games coming up.  

Costa has been doing the damage, and I don't think it's really even in question.  I'm ok with people who have issues with his aggression, but to say he hasn't turned up since December is just ignoring facts.

I would keep him for as long as he wants to stay.

Maybe if some of the other players shared the responsibility of having a backbone then he wouldn't be so eager to unleash anarchy. He must be frustrated as f**k playing with so many gutless pansies who aint up for it. He’s too eager and doing it for everyone.

This guy would not have been half the menace if he was playing with a young JT, Carvalho, Lamps, Ballack, all players that played with passion which none of the current squad have.

He definitely needs to be man managed, a lot more. However, unlike many of his team mates, he didn't seems to have a problem finding motivation, especially in tough games. I only have to look back at the SouthHampton game. We were not in the game at all until he stepped it up. The idea we could replace him with some random striker from Italy or Spain is just laughable.

I would keep him for as long as he wants to stay.

Maybe if some of the other players shared the responsibility of having a backbone then he wouldn't be so eager to unleash anarchy. He must be frustrated as f**k playing with so many gutless pansies who aint up for it. He’s too eager and doing it for everyone.

This guy would not have been half the menace if he was playing with a young JT, Carvalho, Lamps, Ballack, all players that played with passion which none of the current squad have.

He was far worse when he was at Atletico and that's saying something. He was an absolute dick at Atletico and I was pleasantly surprised that he somewhat kept his dark side in check last season.