Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justin

Chelsea in for Falcao?

The rumours I've seen don't involve a permanent transfer. The real problem is his wages and ambition. The same as Torres, who would've been a decent 2nd/3rd choice striker for most top sides. If he chose to go to Monaco, no way will he accept his true worth at a top club.

Well Ibrahimovic is getting on a bit, and I can't imagine he's made anyone particularly happy with his recent c**ty comments about the club and country. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in the summer, hopefully he f**ks off to the MLS where his ego will be pandered to.

Ain't gonna happen but i'd love Ibra here to be honest (more so if Drogba moves on/retires). Still has a year on his contract though so reckon he'll stay with PSG. Would have no complaints if we sign him on a free next summer.

I still think he can unearth that inner beast again, but he's played for monaco and sat on the bench most of the season for utd, so we can't gage how good he can be again without consistent playing time. He had good stats at monaco to be fair, but at utd he's been unfortunate. I don't think he would even get a chance in our team either because Costa is here now. He will probably go to Italy or back to Spain. I would like to see him back at atletico.

He was a fantastic striker and also not someone who I felt relied overly on pace. Considering that, his decline has been surprising but when you look at the numbers, he has 4 goals and 5 assists in 1018 minutes this season which are hardly horrible for a guy recovering from a serious injury, playing in a new league under a manager that doesn't seem to want him and for a team that has played some dire stuff for most of the season. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I know people blame him for his career choices, but I'm not sure that is entirely down to him personally. I do feel a bit sorry for him, being one of the best strikers of our generation and missing out on the world cup, and now possibly never getting to play in the champions league again.

Mourinho said that we were priced out of the cavani and falcao deals when they made their respective moves to psg and monaco, and that it was principally due to wages 

"When asked if Financial Fair Play was the reason he pulled the plug on moves for Falcao or Cavani, Mourinho replied: "Correct. Because of transfer fees and salaries. Players are not just about transfer fees, but big wages. Of course there's a certain profile of player we don't go near." "

If these players were too expensive and we werent considered good enough just because of the salaries we are prepared to pay, then hell mend them. We should not be a retirement village for money-grabbing bar steward wash-out has-beens living on reputation and seeking one final pay day. We have been stung in the past by going for players on the wrong side of their peak and paying over the odds for them. 

In my opinion, falcao can go and f**k himself. 

Should have bought him years ago when he was at Athletico. No chance in hell now.

Well, the quote from CFC_RFC_TID is from February 2014 and Jose was commenting on Falcao's move from Atletico to Monaco back in 2013 . This January Mourinho was asked about Falcao again and once again stated that he had no interest in signing Falcao, but this time he was offered by Mendes in the summer of 2014.

So basically he was available to us twice, but we decided he wasn't worth it. I'd imagine the first time it was the fee plus wages, second time it was that plus him coming off long term injury. In short, I don't see him Jose changing his mind.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11629088/Radamel-Falcao-desperate-to-join-Chelsea.html

I'm on the fence about this one, erring on the side of no. However there are a number of things that make me think that it could be a decent deal.

Firstly, the injury he suffered was a horrendous one and whilst you can be back playing sport again within 6-9 months, the consensus is that full recovery takes up to two years. Of course you can get some freaks who are back competing at the same level much sooner (Adrian Peterson being the poster boy in the NFL) but then there's also those who never get back to the same level.  Falcao tore his about 17 months ago. He could still get back there.

Secondly, United were appalling this year. I don't think many of their attacking players shone and I think that has a lot to do with Van Gaal's tactics as well as some unfortunate injuries to key players....well A key player - Carrick. Seriously, the squad composition at that club is utterly appalling so I'm not surprised that a striker new to the league struggled.

Thirdly, he's had that year here now. He knows what to expect....hopefully.

Fourth. Price. I have no idea about the complex machinations at Monaco brought about by the owner's divorce but not only do they have a striker who is seen as damaged goods because of his injury, he's also coming off a tremendously underwhelming season. You'd hope that even in the crazy world of football contracts that he and Monaco might ease back on some of their demands. He's also still a fairly big name internationally so there's always the commercial side to consider.

Fifth, he might actually fit the squad. If Costa is established as number one striker then you're looking at needing high quality replacements and I don't think I'm alone in believing Loic Remy is that. Falcao as another back-up eases the burden on him so we might get the best out of him. That leaves Solanke as fourth choice to get minutes where he can and Bamford out on-loan for another season. If Falcao does well then hooray for us. If he doesn't then we look elsewhere (or within).

Now the obvious problem here is that Costa has had problems with his hamstrings and Remy has developed some sympathy pains that have left us with only Didier up-front at times this season. He's worked hard but age has an undefeated record and would we trust all our hopes with Falcao? ACL re-injury rates are no higher than injury rates in the general population but he's not getting any younger.

Finally, there's the links with Jose. He knows the striker from Spain but he also shares the same agent and if Jorge Mendes is involved then my belief that a deal might happen goes from 20% to 70%. If Jose reckons he can still do the job then I'm inclined to trust him and maybe he becomes another Eto'o as someone mentioned above, but with two other top-class strikers alongside him.

So I'm not going to write him off just yet, nor am I going to suggest a deal to get him would be a bad thing. He was a great striker and he'll want to get back there, so what better way to do that then go to a team looking to retain the league and progress in Europe? He has the Copa America in summer which could be a great thing in terms of his fitness and also his form and we could get the benefit of that one last hurrah from him.

Great post BD, i am also of the opinion that Man U misused him, i saw him in a few matches and he didn't look that unsharp. and he wont loose thatsupreme goal scorers instinct, could be a shrewd investment.

Great post BD, i am also of the opinion that Man U misused him, i saw him in a few matches and he didn't look that unsharp. and he wont loose thatsupreme goal scorers instinct, could be a shrewd investment.

he looked absolutely dreadful every time i watched him play for utd

we should steer clear

Think what happened with Torres will forever have us going more to the side of no on deals such as this one.

He WAS one of the most feared strikers in the world, destroyed us in the super cup game we had against Atletico. However he looked a shadow of that player at United, and I doubt he would come cheap.

In all honesty, we need a forward who is comfortable and produces in at least 2 if not all 3 positions behind the main striker and is equally as impressive playing as the main man if Costa and Remy are out.

So when Costa can play he can slot in alongside Willian and Hazard. When he cannot we can move that new guy forward. Who that player is I have no idea. Hopefully Jose knows.

We're not in a position where we need to be taking a gamble on a players form or fitness up front.

Costa is the main man and I don't see that changing. Remy has his limitations but is a more than competent striker.

So what does Falcao actually offer? He's not shown anything to suggest he's close to recapturing the form that made him one of Europe's best and if we're going to invest in a striker I'd like to think that they'll improve us, I don't think Falcao would.

We're not in a position where we need to be taking a gamble on a players form or fitness up front.

Costa is the main man and I don't see that changing. Remy has his limitations but is a more than competent striker.

So what does Falcao actually offer? He's not shown anything to suggest he's close to recapturing the form that made him one of Europe's best and if we're going to invest in a striker I'd like to think that they'll improve us, I don't think Falcao would.

There's not a single transfer that doesn't include a measure of risk in terms of that players form and fitness. What I think we saw with Falcao last season was a striker on his way back from a serious injury but who still had those same instincts.

So this transfer is about potential upside. If he's prepared to lower his demands you're talking about potentially getting a world class striker on the cheap when they are at a premium in the current market. We have a number one, we have a capable number two so maybe we can take that risk.

It's not as easy to dismiss as some are suggesting.

There's not a single transfer that doesn't include a measure of risk in terms of that players form and fitness. What I think we saw with Falcao last season was a striker on his way back from a serious injury but who still had those same instincts.

Of course there is always risk but not all players are outside of the club's wage structure and haven't fully recovered from what can be a career ending injury.

The cons massively outweigh the potential pros on this on.

If the club want a high profile striker of the skill set a fully fit and firing Falcao has then that's what they should buy not drop a small fortune on a player who looks like his best days are already behind him.