Bobbywoodhogan

What TV Show Are You Waarching?

On 07/06/2018 at 08:54, erskblue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b4fx2q/scotland-78-a-love-story?suggid=b0b4fx2q

Interesting look back at Scotland's anticipation of footballing glory and the dramatic fall.

Some very good stories told by those supporters who travelled.

Just finished watching the programme. Very interesting. That was a great Scotland team but a shame that it all went wrong. Weren't going to win the World Cup but should have progressed from the group stage. I remember all the news headlines and reports about Bud being sent home. I didn't watch the Scotland v Netherlands game as didn't think that Scotland would win and couldn't believe the result when I heard it later. A great goal from Gemmill. One of the finest in World Cup history.

16 hours ago, Boyne said:

Just finished watching the programme. Very interesting. That was a great Scotland team but a shame that it all went wrong. Weren't going to win the World Cup but should have progressed from the group stage. I remember all the news headlines and reports about Bud being sent home. I didn't watch the Scotland v Netherlands game as didn't think that Scotland would win and couldn't believe the result when I heard it later. A great goal from Gemmill. One of the finest in World Cup history.

I watched it and found it a sad and tragic story.

I did recall it as an 11 year old seeing Gemmill's nugget of a goal yet the BBC program last night was funny. Just so much material for a remake along the lines of Mike Basset England manager. From the material on that program it could be a cracker.

@Boyne , the BBC claimed the Celtic V Rangers divide was forgotten for the tournament, was that true?

Edited by Strider6003

18 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I watched it and found it a sad and tragic story.

I did recall it as an 11 year old seeing Gemmill's nugget of a goal yet the BBC program last night was funny. Just so much material for a remake along the lines of Mike Basset England manager. From the material on that program it could be a cracker.

@Boyne , the BBC claimed the Celtic V Rangers divide was forgotten for the tournament, was that true?

There have been clips of Archie's goal in a few films and TV shows. It was used in Trainspotting. Yes, Scotland's trip to Argentina could make a great drama.

I can't recall if the divide was forgotten during the World Cup. Fans from both clubs would have gone to Argentina and I can't recall any stories of trouble.

I can't recall any hype over Scotland playing in the 1974 World Cup. Strange as the squad for that tournament was probably better than the one in 1978. The manger, Willie Ormond, was better as well.  So many great Scottish players haven't played in a World Cup but then so many great players from around the World have also missed out.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:59, Boyne said:

There have been clips of Archie's goal in a few films and TV shows. It was used in Trainspotting. Yes, Scotland's trip to Argentina could make a great drama.

I can't recall if the divide was forgotten during the World Cup. Fans from both clubs would have gone to Argentina and I can't recall any stories of trouble.

I can't recall any hype over Scotland playing in the 1974 World Cup. Strange as the squad for that tournament was probably better than the one in 1978. The manger, Willie Ormond, was better as well.  So many great Scottish players haven't played in a World Cup but then so many great players from around the World have also missed out.

I think from memory there was no trouble, as both sets of supporters were caught up in the hype of Argentina 78.

In 1974 Scotland were just glad and very excited about going to West Germany. It was their first World Cup tournament since 1958.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

I think from memory there was no trouble, as both sets of supporters were caught up in the hype of Argentina 78.

In 1974 Scotland were just glad and very excited about going to West Germany. It was their first World Cup tournament since 1958.

Not qualifying between 58 and 74 meant that so many great players of the sixties and early seventies missed out. Would have been great to have seen Eddie and Charlie play in a World Cup.

20 hours ago, Boyne said:

Not qualifying between 58 and 74 meant that so many great players of the sixties and early seventies missed out. Would have been great to have seen Eddie and Charlie play in a World Cup.

Totally agree.

We've started ER again from the start as one of the freeview channels is showing it.  It really was ground-breaking television, all the better for many years of fond memories.

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Watched the Barry Davies programme on Wednesday evening on bbc 1..

Great commentator. Worth a watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b95t71/barry-davies-the-man-the-voice-the-legend

Forgot that was on - will have to catch up on that as I did like him as a commentator  - better than Motty IMO.

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

We've started ER again from the start as one of the freeview channels is showing it.  It really was ground-breaking television, all the better for many years of fond memories.

I detest anything Hospital based especially if it's got that ugly f**ker George Clooney in it. Made the vow to not watch any hospital dramas years back as whenever I watched Casualty the main character had symptons I thought were similar to mine and they were never alive come the end of the episode!!

Have been watching Get Shorty and really enjoying it - Chris O Dowd is great in it.

Edited by Nibs

15 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Forgot that was on - will have to catch up on that as I did like him as a commentator  - better than Motty IMO.

I detest anything Hospital based especially if it's got that ugly f**ker George Clooney in it. Made the vow to not watch any hospital dramas years back as whenever I watched Casualty the main character had symptons I thought were similar to mine and they were never alive come the end of the episode!!

Have been watching Get Shorty and really enjoying it - Chris O Dowd is great in it.

Like you I hate most hospital series, but I made an exception for Green Wing, which though based on a hospital was not really about that. Hilarious!

18 minutes ago, moi said:

Like you I hate most hospital series, but I made an exception for Green Wing, which though based on a hospital was not really about that. Hilarious!

Yes, as you say Moi, I think Green Wing is the exception. Great cast - I love anything with Mark Heap in it!

6 hours ago, moi said:

6 hours ago, Nibs said:

Yes, as you say Moi, I think Green Wing is the exception. Great cast - I love anything with Mark Heap in it!

Green Wing was a brilliant series. Must watch it again. As Nibs wrote, a great cast.

Also watching Simon Reeves travel program's, last night was in Russia and very interesting.

After I caught - The misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan, this time in Ethiopia and again very interesting so the eye treatment his guide undertook was brutal.

On 06/07/2018 at 10:39, Nibs said:

I detest anything Hospital based especially if it's got that ugly f**ker George Clooney in it.

On 06/07/2018 at 11:15, Nibs said:

How can you never have been tempted by Scrubs? Very funny but can have you breaking down mentally at the same time with a few episodes. 

On 09/06/2018 at 21:33, Munkworth said:

I just watched the latest episode of Friday Night Dinner and I think a little piece of me died at the end :sad:

Poor Wilson...RIP.

I watch less & less on the tele these days (preferring to do other things) but no-one could deny that it really is the golden age of tele series given netflix et al & all the other streaming services on offer.

I suppose last year the 3rd series of Fargo was for me the best tele series I watched.

This year, I've watched some more very good tele series:  Australian Productions - Mystery Road; BBC - Killing Eve  & Apple Tree Yard.

I really hope Sandra Oh gets the Emmy for her work in Killing Eve.

Peep Show: I remember when this was originally shown on TV and for some reason I didn't really take to it. I started watching the first series again recently and boy was I wrong. What a brilliant sitcom.

Another series I was completely wrong about at first is Only Sunny in Philadelphia, I gave up on it about half way through season one and came back to it about 5 years later, but to be fair the first season is pretty shaky. Everything from season 2 onwards is great.

I watch less & less on the tele these days (preferring to do other things) but no-one could deny that it really is the golden age of tele series given netflix et al & all the other streaming services on offer.
I suppose last year the 3rd series of Fargo was for me the best tele series I watched.
This year, I've watched some more very good tele series:  Australian Productions - Mystery Road; BBC - Killing Eve  & Apple Tree Yard.
I really hope Sandra Oh gets the Emmy for her work in Killing Eve.
The third of Fargo was the best? I really enjoyed the first two but for some reason I never got around to watching the third.