What TV Show Are You Waarching?

Bobbywoodhogan

On 09/02/2021 at 11:28, bluehaze said:

Here's a few things I've been watching lockdown has upped my viewing. The Strain all four series very good and very prophetic one of the characters says '' We underestimated Sars and we are open to a world wide pandemic anytime because of the amount of travelling on planes that we do'' !!.

@bluehaze Have you seen the 1970s series The Survivors? A great series about a virus which decimated society and survivors had to re-build society from scratch. I watched a couple of episodes a few months ago - the first time I'd watched them since first broadcast - and found them very prophetic and apt for current times. Episodes can be found on youtube.

On 11/02/2021 at 15:34, Boyne said:

Watched a very interesting programme about the actor Hedy Lamarr the other night. Lamarr was born in Austria but left that country in the 1930s to escape Nazism: she was Jewish. Her acting career started in Austria and she appeared in a controversial film Ecstasy aged 17 in 1933. After leaving Austria she went to London and was spotted by Louis Mayer of MGM and sigend up to that studio - those were the days when studios had a lot of control over actors.

Whilst best known as an actor she was a keen inventor and scientist something which had been encouraged by her father. An it was in the field of invention that is probably her greatest legacy. With George Antheil they developed the system of frequency which they saw as being used to guide torpedoes against enemy shipping. A patent was submitted to the U.S. Navy  in 1942 but was rejected. Eventually it was used by the U.S. Navy from the late fifties but by that time Lamarr's rights to royalties under patent laws had expired. The work that Lamarr and Antheil did paved the way for Wi-FI, GPS and Bluetooth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09jhrlt/hollywoods-brightest-bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/hedy-lamarr

I heard about her about a year ago and was both amazed yet also recognised the tragedy of her life.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I heard about her about a year ago and was both amazed yet also recognised the tragedy of her life.

I think she was married six times and had difficult relationships with some of them. Her father was only forty when he died and she missed him. A shame that she did not receive any money for her invention but great Lamarr was finally recognised for it.

21 minutes ago, Boyne said:

I think she was married six times and had difficult relationships with some of them. Her father was only forty when he died and she missed him. A shame that she did not receive any money for her invention but great Lamarr was finally recognised for it.

Yes and not until her late 80s and then again posthumously. 

Watched Episode of Elizabeth R on BBC 4 last night. It was first broadcast on 17 February 1971. I may have watched it as a kid, I can't remember. My parents probably watched it.

Glenda Jackson played Elizabeth a role she reprised for the film Mary, Queen of Scots. Last night's episode the latter years of the reign of Elizabeth's half-brother, Edward VI and the control of the Council and in particular the fall of Thomas Seymour (he was deposed by his brother, Edward); Thomas Seymour's treatment of Elizabeth when she was his ward. Seymour had married Catherine Parr, Henry VIII's last wife. There were allegations that Elizabeth was raped by Seymour with Parr encouraging him. The episode also covered Elizabeth's relationship with her half-sister, Mary I and the tensions over Mary's wish to return England to the Roman Catholic Church. That was never going to happen due to political and religious reforms in the reign of Edward VI. Also mentioned were Wyatt's rebellion, the fall of Cranmer, the plan to have Lady Jane Grey and that great statesmen William Cecil.

Definitely worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033w6j5

• 1 month later...

14 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Mike Wozniak is going to win it. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him, he's pretty out there. Also like Lee Mack and Charlotte Ritchie. Don't really know much about the other 2 but clips I've seen look good.

On 18/03/2021 at 17:48, dkw said:

I'm looking forward to seeing him, he's pretty out there. Also like Lee Mack and Charlotte Ritchie. Don't really know much about the other 2 but clips I've seen look good.

Jamali Maddix is quite funny - he’s got a great little documentary series called Hate Thy Neighbour where he goes around America and meets all their different nut job groups. Recommend giving that a watch :good2:

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

Jamali Maddix is quite funny - he’s got a great little documentary series called Hate Thy Neighbour where he goes around America and meets all their different nut job groups. Recommend giving that a watch :good2:

I might watch it now instead of this cup match, awful 45 minutes. 

I forgot to cancel my latest Amazon Prime trial so I've started watching some of the content on there. I really enjoyed Undone, which is brilliant and one of the best things I've seen for years. I'm now working my way through Bosch; I avoided this at first because the idea of watching another cop show didn't appeal to me despite all the great reviews, but Bosch is a really well done and engrossing series. I've also started watching the Tick, and although I thought it was crap at first, after a few episodes I'm starting to really dig it.

5 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

There’s some good stuff on Amazon it’s just the terrible UI makes it hard to find anything!

Yeah, it'd actually be preferable to watch everything on Kodi, but I feel obliged to make the most out of my €8 payment.

Ronnie Barker sketch from yonks back , i cant say the name of the sketch never mind spell it but its about saying words the wrong way 

You will have to watch it at least twice to fully appriciate it 

One country who have really upped their game TV wise in the last few years are Australia. There has been some great Aussie or Aussie/ Anglo productions recently Glitch, Upright, Frayed, Wanted the hilarious No Activity which has it's own US version which I haven't seen doubt it would be as good as the Aussie version and my personal favourite Mr Inbetween a show that deserves a wider audience.

Over the last few weeks I watched every episode of Still Game. A brilliant comedy set in Glasgow and the main characters are pensioners. The comedy was about their experiences and relationships with each other and on occasions with the local neds. One of the characters, Isa reminded me a bit of my Gran.

Some great patter and wonderful Glaswegian slang.