enigma

Kenedy officially signs for Chelsea

I don't think he is a sh*t footballer, i don't think he is a great one either, but i don't for a second think he is a wing back. He's a winger. Defensively, he is poor, and i don't think he is great running with the ball from deep. He's better in the attacking areas.

8 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

Yeah, the Chinese version of twitter isn't all that rational. They went into uber-attack mode when an Australian swimmer at the Olympics dared to question a Chinese competitors credibility due to previous doping bans.

In a western context there's nothing particularly 'offensive' in Kenedy's posts, but they would have stirred up a proverbial hornet's nest.

Let's differentiate race and culture because you can have a British Chinese guy who is only Chinese ethnically but British culturally.

Now culturally talking the Chinese are literally aliens that we have no hope of properly understanding or trying to rationalise what goes on in their heads, because they just think so differently to us, so marketing there can't be easy for a western entity, they probably have all kinds of cultural advisors.

Interestingly  a Brazilian guy said pouco or whatever he said that can mean f**k can also mean "come on" probably in a more vigorous way, which makes more sense in context anyway, so it seems there was very little offensive at all in the posts, they seem like a culture that are searching for insults and are very easily offended.

But the bottom line is the Chinese have money now, lots of it and a new found love for football so the club must be fuming doing a whole tour in sweaty balls Beijing for purely commercial purposes and Kennedy sh*tting the bed with his silly little posts.

Apparently a ban on us ever going back to China is being mooted.

Goal.com reports that Chelsea may be banned from China after Kenedy's offensive posts. The report claims the government authorities have ordered the Chinese media to "withdraw all related stories about Chelsea from their dual homepages and news apps."

In addition to this, Goal claims a source from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs are closely monitoring the situation as there are remote possibility of Chelsea facing an outright ban in China.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chelsea-kenedy-issue-apology-chinese-people-over-offensive-instagram-posts-1631571

Such a ridiculous overreaction.

Edited by Charles Ryder

A prime example of people taking offence to tiny little things, and others having to suffer because of it.

Apparently (according to some people on reddit who claim to speak Portugese), the literal translation of what he said was pretty much along the lines of "Damn, China!", he wasn't saying "f**k china".

3 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chelsea-kenedy-issue-apology-chinese-people-over-offensive-instagram-posts-1631571

Such a ridiculous overreaction.

Hardly unexpected from a state which is fundamentally autocratic and culturally insular, having bans on all social media and non state regulated internet sites. Kenedy really did f**k all wrong to be honest. He made a post saying 'f**king china lol'. If he had gone to america and saw a dude asleep he'd have said 'f**king america lol', it's a non issue being made into a massive issue by the millennial snowflake social justice warrior generation. Lighten up, China :wink:

The clubs grovelling apology says a lot about the consequences they fear this could have in the Chinese market place. It's hard enough there when you don't wear red without saying anything that could even possibly be taken as offensive. As others have eluded to, the Chinese machine is not very tolerant and you only need to look at how they trash each others Toyota's whenever their government clash heads with Japan. Bizarre.

Stupidity to say the least, what was he expecting when he posted that? 1000 likes from his Chinese fans. Any half politically incorrect tweet from a footballer would cause an outrage on social media, and to say what he said about a country/people he had little idea about was like driving a bus down the cliff blind folded. It's a huge setback for the Club, now the perception of CFC has taken a huge blow in China. Like it or not, it's a huge market the club need to get a piece of. I agree he should be heavily reprimanded, kick him out is way overboard.

I think the club did the right thing. Kenedy was a bit unsensitive but nothing too serious. As someone stated these are not holiday-trips but business ones. We are there to gain fans and to sell shirts essentially.

Club did well to respond as did Kenedy. Water under the bridge...

12 hours ago, didierforever said:

So a solitary goal video is all that you could get to prove otherwise? There might be 100s of these vids about Mikel and his "skills" too.

There's a couple of Mikel videos, I can't say that I've checked them out. I could post more Kenedy videos if you'd like, but I thought I would post one of his best moments, it's a goal that impressed me and I'm sure many others at the time and I haven't forgotten about it. Seconds after kick off and he scored a sublime goal, I think that's a glimpse of the potential he has, he may not make it with us, but I feel that he's good enough to play in the Premier League.

6 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

They have one strange government and are very easily offended, not condoning Kenedy's comments. 

11 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

Let's differentiate race and culture because you can have a British Chinese guy who is only Chinese ethnically but British culturally.

Now culturally talking the Chinese are literally aliens that we have no hope of properly understanding or trying to rationalise what goes on in their heads, because they just think so differently to us, so marketing there can't be easy for a western entity, they probably have all kinds of cultural advisors.

Interestingly  a Brazilian guy said pouco or whatever he said that can mean f**k can also mean "come on" probably in a more vigorous way, which makes more sense in context anyway, so it seems there was very little offensive at all in the posts, they seem like a culture that are searching for insults and are very easily offended.

But the bottom line is the Chinese have money now, lots of it and a new found love for football so the club must be fuming doing a whole tour in sweaty balls Beijing for purely commercial purposes and Kennedy sh*tting the bed with his silly little posts.

It seems China would be better off with Liverpool. Their victim mentality would suit each other perfectly. 

39 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

There's a couple of Mikel videos, I can't say that I've checked them out. I could post more Kenedy videos if you'd like, but I thought I would post one of his best moments, it's a goal that impressed me and I'm sure many others at the time and I haven't forgotten about it. Seconds after kick off and he scored a sublime goal, I think that's a glimpse of the potential he has, he may not make it with us, but I feel that he's good enough to play in the Premier League.

Fair enough if you rate him mate. I simply dont think he is good enough to warrant a LWB spot/Winger spot/non-HG spot. 

As for the goal, Oscar literally lived off his Juve goal/performance for 3 years. So i am not getting carried away with a goal.

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Fair enough if you rate him mate. I simply dont think he is good enough to warrant a LWB spot/Winger spot/non-HG spot. 

As for the goal, Oscar literally lived off his Juve goal/performance for 3 years. So i am not getting carried away with a goal.

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree, I think he's good enough to keep a squad position, but time will tell. I hope he goes on to develop and improve, if not for us, then good luck to him, I do like him and think he has potential to play at a high/good level. 

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree, I think he's good enough to keep a squad position, but time will tell. I hope he goes on to develop and improve, if not for us, then good luck to him, I do like him and think he has potential to play at a high/good level. 

He'd be perfect for a stoke/West Brom type team not for Chelsea, if we're using him as a squad filler you may as well just buy a random English bloke kill 2 birds with one with the HG quota

1 hour ago, LengmanJedi said:

He'd be perfect for a stoke/West Brom type team not for Chelsea, if we're using him as a squad filler you may as well just buy a random English bloke kill 2 birds with one with the HG quota

There is only a point in buying a HG option if he is better than Kenedy.

Kenedy is not taking one of the non-Homegrown spot this year as counts as U21 so replacing Kenedy with a HG player will have no baring on our BPL squad this season.  

The social media thing is a load of nonsense tbh. Stupid post from a kid, nothing more. 

In terms of his ability, I think he gets a hard time, he came to chelsea as an attacker, but he has never really had the opportunity to play there. So it is pretty understandable that he looks average because he is adapting to defensive duties he has probably never had. 

Is he going to be good enough for chelsea? probably not. He really needs premier league minutes though, so if there is a prem team that can offer him that, he should definitely go out on loan. 

I have a feeling he will be kept if we don't sign Sandro, purely because he doesn't take up a foreign place in the squad. 

There is only a point in buying a HG option if he is better than Kenedy.

Kenedy is not taking one of the non-Homegrown spot this year as counts as U21 so replacing Kenedy with a HG player will have no baring on our BPL squad this season.  

Neither of them are going to play for Chelsea anyway so what does it matter, just means we can fill up the first team with continental players

It seems you value Kennedy rather highly and I think he's horse sh*t lol so would rather have some English lads milling around as it helps us (in a way)

4 hours ago, LengmanJedi said:

Neither of them are going to play for Chelsea anyway so what does it matter, just means we can fill up the first team with continental players

It seems you value Kennedy rather highly and I think he's horse sh*t lol so would rather have some English lads milling around as it helps us (in a way)

The point was that Kenedy whilst counting as an U21 player has the same baring on the composition of the squad as a Homegrown player. Therefore if we switch Kenedy for a HG player it won't allow us anymore or any less non-HG slots in the squad.

So what would be the point of signing someone because there are HG unless they are better than Kenedy?

There are a few HG players that are better than Kenedy; Betrand, Shaw, Davies and Cresswell instantly spring to mind. It may also be useful to go with someone who will potentially be better than Kenedy so Sessegnon or that bloke from Celtic could work, but I don't see how signing just some random player who is HG makes any difference why waste the time effort and money for no gain.  

On the point of rating Kenedy I do think with some tactical training under Conte he has the potential to be an okay LWB (Betrand level) and could therefore make a decent squad player. 

Edited by PedroMendez

I think he'll be sent out on loan now for the season...he's a silly boy and now he's potentially blown his Chelsea career...when a crowd boos you in a friendly you know it's not going to be good...shame but that's modern business in football...

Don't think Kenedy had much of a future with us anyway. I'd have him behind Musonda, Boga etc in the AM/Winger stakes, and he's clearly no wingback.

Clearly lacking a bit of basic intelligence as well, which doesn't mark him out as a Conte-type player for me ...

I get the whole 'growing the brand' thing the club were attempting but this is why I'd of preferred a PreSeason in Britain, games against Rangers & Linfield etc...

Let the Kitchen Sinks support a team they have more in common with, someone like Liverpool, both seem to love playing the victim and murder.