enigma

Kenedy officially signs for Chelsea

1 hour ago, DonAntonio said:

Are you asian? Honestly if I was I'd laugh that off, it's hardly deep seeded hatred for the chinese and sub-ethnic groups its just light banter, but if it offended you or anyone my apologies. The reason it irritates me when people label things racist too easily is because racism in its real form is a vial poisonous thing, banter is banter, being oversensitive as I mentioned detracts from people who have been raped, murdered, bullied, harassed for no crime only because of their race. 

I don't care too much about it and yes I am asian.  However, many Asians in particular those who live in the West would find it insulting as the willy comments have been used extensively to emasculate Asians (and East Asians in particular) which any student of contemporary Asian studies in college/university would tell you.  Regarding China, it is very prickly about its identity and pride being insulted due to its history of being subjugated and humiliated for a century before the communists took power in '49.    

Edited by lchk

1 minute ago, lchk said:

I don't care too much about it and yes I am asian.  However, the willy comments have been used extensively to emasculate Asians (and East Asians in particular) which any student of contemporary Asian studies in college/university would tell you.  Regarding China, it is very prickly about its identity and pride being insulted due to its history of being subjugated and humiliated for a century before the communists took power in '49.    

Rape of Nanking, Japanese medical experiments on captured Chinese soldiers, having Hong Kong seized by the British, etc...

Just now, MissouriBlue said:

Rape of Nanking, Japanese medical experiments on captured Chinese soldiers, having Hong Kong seized by the British, etc...

All that and more.  The British exported opium to China and literally forced the Qing govt at gunpoint to legalize the trade.  On top of that, the French and the British burnt its old imperial summer palace to the ground with the obligatory looting.  It's been a long time ago but the Chinese government has never forgotten about these tragedies.

1 hour ago, lchk said:

I don't care too much about it and yes I am asian.  However, many Asians in particular those who live in the West would find it insulting as the willy comments have been used extensively to emasculate Asians (and East Asians in particular) which any student of contemporary Asian studies in college/university would tell you.  Regarding China, it is very prickly about its identity and pride being insulted due to its history of being subjugated and humiliated for a century before the communists took power in '49.    

In all cases I can't account for how masculine or emasculated chinese men feel, but that kind of plays in to gist of my light hearted comment, which was that their over reaction is tantamount to little man syndrome, certainly not intended as "racism" although this is very loosely on topic because of the situation with kennedy, I don't want this to drag on, all I can say in conclusion is it's a biological observation used to take a bit of a cheap shot, but it would be some stretch to call it racism, however I won't mention it again in as not to cause offense, hopefully back to football now, because if you gents continue discussing the social cultural history of the chinese diaspora, I'll get the blame for being off-topic because 2 pages ago making a light hearted jab at them for over reacting. I don't think this applies to you, you are quite reasonable but I think the social justice warriors in the forum have a target on my back so I'm not willing to give them ammunition, censorship filter on high alert from now on. 

Edited by DonAntonio

This whole episode is utterly pathetic, there's nothing remotely racist in anything he said, anybody who thinks there is or that there is anything to be offended about has seriously thin skin or just likes controversy. The only thing Kenedy is guilty of is joining half the rest of the first world population in putting any random thought onto social media, no racism, nothing to get offended about just a pointless post.

30 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Here come the FA sticking their nose in our business, it's has nothing to do with them and it's been dealt with by the club, I wish they'd f**k off.

They're like sharks smelling blood in the water any time they sense they might be able to fine someone.

Edited by Zeta

"Dear China, we're sorry if you were offended. A few things: One, Kenedy is 20 years old. He's just a kid, forgive him. Two, in his native tongue what he said wasn't that bad, and he said it in his native tongue, not yours. Three, he didn't mean any malice, that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain. Four, you really need to get over yourselves. The only reason we're apologising is because of money, otherwise we'd be rolling around in laughter and telling you to f**k off. We hope to visit again one day, or maybe not. Yours sincerely, Chelsea."

I think that's a damn fine statement from the club.

2 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

"Dear China, we're sorry if you were offended. A few things: One, Kenedy is 20 years old. He's just a kid, forgive him. Two, in his native tongue what he said wasn't that bad, and he said it in his native tongue, not yours. Three, he didn't mean any malice, that should be obvious to anyone with half a brain. Four, you really need to get over yourselves. The only reason we're apologising is because of money, otherwise we'd be rolling around in laughter and telling you to f**k off. We hope to visit again one day, or maybe not. Yours sincerely, Chelsea."

If this was an attempt to make Kenedy's "apology" look better then you absolutely smashed it.

10 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

Are you asian? Honestly if I was I'd laugh that off, it's hardly deep seeded hatred for the chinese and sub-ethnic groups its just light banter, but if it offended you or anyone my apologies. The reason it irritates me when people label things racist too easily is because racism in its real form is a vial poisonous thing, banter is banter, being oversensitive as I mentioned detracts from people who have been raped, murdered, bullied, harassed for no crime only because of their race. 

People suffer all of those horrible CRIMES against them for no other reason than their sexuality as well.

But you're okay with that right? Because you believe that being gay should be illegal and hopefully will in the future again.

The forum's resident small-minded homophobic bigot attempting to take the moral highground on racism is quite something to behold.

Racism isn't the only thing that is a "vile poisonous thing".

23 minutes ago, startedwithglenn said:

People suffer all of those horrible CRIMES against them for no other reason than their sexuality as well.

But you're okay with that right? Because you believe that being gay should be illegal and hopefully will in the future again.

The forum's resident small-minded homophobic bigot attempting to take the moral highground on racism is quite something to behold.

Racism isn't the only thing that is a "vile poisonous thing".

Trust you to pop up... leave things alone, dredging up bollox, I wasn't to "communicate directly with you" remember? at least be a man of your word, you don't choose what I find morally acceptable and not, it's f**k all to do with you now piss off and don't "communicate with me" and this has f**k all to do with football or the topic, this isn't Dr. Phill, it's a football forum.

Just now, Zola said:

Ah social media, everyone is offended by everything these days.

A world full of scousers

I wasn't having a happy day, but now you've really talked me into despair :sad:

12 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

WOW, if you made the quoted statement, then please change all the "we" to "I" and remove "Chelsea" as you clearly can't represent all of us.

What he did was stupid. If he was 26 then he would be transfer listed. But he is a child in footballer terms. Lampard, Terry and Jody Morris all did some terrible things at his age. 

I imagine he will probably stay and play f all - but that would have happened had he done nothing in China. 

29 minutes ago, bolu said:

WOW, if you made the quoted statement, then please change all the "we" to "I" and remove "Chelsea" as you clearly can't represent all of us.

Why? He has a point, Kenedy was a bit insensitive, but the overreaction is laughable and to top it all off, the club have had their apology thrown back in their face, can't get much more petulant than that. 

24 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Why? He has a point, Kenedy was a bit insensitive, but the overreaction is laughable and to top it all off, the club have had their apology thrown back in their face, can't get much more petulant than that. 

"porra" translates to F**K and if you put that word before a country's name, you will certainly cause trouble, and you won't say they are overreaction as you can't expect everyone to know it's not malice in his native tongue.  This statement is an overreaction itself and won't make Chelsea look good, as in China many people have said Chelsea has done enough and should move on. You can't stop some media or editors using this topic to stir more user to react, and you can't stop haters from other clubs overreacting on this topic to keep attacking Chelsea. However, do you really want to add fuel to the fire?

5 minutes ago, bolu said:

"porra" translates to F**K and if you put that word before a country's name, you will certainly cause trouble, and you won't say they are overreaction as you can't expect everyone to know it's not malice in his native tongue.  This statement is an overreaction itself and won't make Chelsea look good, as in China many people have said Chelsea has done enough and should move on. You can't stop some media or editors using this topic to stir more user to react, and you can't stop haters from other clubs overreacting on this topic to keep attacking Chelsea. However, do you really want to add fuel to the fire?

According to many other people pora translates as "damn". Put it this way, if he had posted "pora England" and "wake up England" would there have been this outcry? Would there hell, it's a massively over the top reaction to a kid posting something stupid. It wasn't racist in the slightest.

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

According to many other people pora translates as "damn". Put it this way, if he had posted "pora England" and "wake up England" would there have been this outcry? Would there hell, it's a massively over the top reaction to a kid posting something stupid. It wasn't racist in the slightest.

yes, my point is the media already sent the wrong message by saying that porra translates as F**k and they won't change that as they want to attract more debate, so you can't blame someone for overreaction if all he knows is you said F**K your country. BTW it was "wake up China you idiot!" 

Edited by bolu

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think it translates more like:

Wasn't it Lamps that got in trouble for joking about 9/11 a few days after it happened in an airport or something? Certainly didn't affect his career or Chelsea's brand recognition in America. Just the Chinese crying over f**k all with their victim mentality. More than happy to kill millions of their own people but meltdown if a 20 year old lad puts something on social media.