Tammy Abraham

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Guest Sindre

£34 million would be a good price for us but it remains to be seen if Abraham will accept going there.

He wouldn't be the typical Mourinho striker in my view as he's weak and a terrible header but would wish him all the best if he did go.

26 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Considering how often Chelsea seem to sell players who turn into super-stars elsewhere . . . what are the odds that 5 years from now Tammy Abraham is scoring like 25 goals a season and suddenly Chelsea wants him back??

This is what will happen. Nice to have him back when he is 28 for 150m. 

31 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Considering how often Chelsea seem to sell players who turn into super-stars elsewhere . . . what are the odds that 5 years from now Tammy Abraham is scoring like 25 goals a season and suddenly Chelsea wants him back??

We sell more players who don't become "superstars". In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who would qualify. A few may be "very good" perhaps, but "superstars"...

Edited by Valerie

28 minutes ago, Valpo said:

The problem with Chelsea, and other major clubs, is that you don't have the patience or luxury to wait years for youngsters to develop. Either you make it or you don't in your first year or 2, like Mount and James.

When you spend hundreds of millions on transfer each year, you want to WIN NOW, not tomorrow or next year.

35 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

My mate who supports Roma is not convinced he's headed there. He thinks it's Arsenal. Tammy may prefer them but that's no good to him if they haven't agreed on a fee. 

Must admit I have my doubts. Though maybe Tomoris success in Italy will convinced him to go there for a couple of seasons. If he does well I can see a PL club buying him, same as Tomori.

2 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

The problem with Chelsea, and other major clubs, is that you don't have the patience or luxury to wait years for youngsters to develop. Either you make it or you don't in your first year or 2, like Mount and James.

When you spend hundreds of millions on transfer each year, you want to WIN NOW, not tomorrow or next year.

Seems if you had good scouting to figure out who has the potential to be great you could focus on loaning out those players.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Seems if you had good scouting to figure out who has the potential to be great you could focus on loaning out those players.  

What a great idea! Make sure you let the club know  :laugh2: Oh, and make sure those potentially great players don't have an opinion of their own...

59 minutes ago, Valerie said:

We sell more players who don't become "superstars". In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who would qualify. A few may be "very good" perhaps, but "superstars"...

While I agree with you that we sell many more players who do not become world beaters, we have sold some who have become 'superstars'. Surely Salah, de Bruyne, Lukaku qualify here.

But I'm not complaining, this is part of the game and every club has to let go of talented players because of current realities, whatever they may be.

Tammy may go on to become a great player but his position as a back up at the moment is untenable in his own eyes. And if he doesn't want to be loaned (can think of many reasons for that), there isn't much the club can (should) do.

TT made his views on Tammy pretty clear today. Tammy isn't happy, and hasn't been happy for months.

I said a few months ago that I felt that the pathway back for Tammy (coming of his injury), was to keep his head down, work hard, bulk up, stop the Bambi on ice charade and take his chance as and when he got the opportunity.

Unfortunately, he hasn't really taken any of the limited chances he has been given, doesn't look like he has bulked up, or ironed out any of the flaws in his game. He looked poor pre-season, fell over again and again, and is looking nowehere near ready to fill a space in a team chasing the title.

35m would not be the best, or worst deal int he current climate.

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

While I agree with you that we sell many more players who do not become world beaters, we have sold some who have become 'superstars'. Surely Salah, de Bruyne, Lukaku qualify here.

But I'm not complaining, this is part of the game and every club has to let go of talented players because of current realities, whatever they may be.

Tammy may go on to become a great player but his position as a back up at the moment is untenable in his own eyes. And if he doesn't want to be loaned (can think of many reasons for that), there isn't much the club can (should) do.

I thought we were talking youngsters that came through the academy. Of those, I can't think of any player we regretted selling because they became top players. Names get mentioned obviously, Aké for instance, Bramford perhaps, and I'm probably overlooking a few. However, none of the players we sold would have been the proverbial missing piece of the puzzle and helped us to win at least two trophies every season. Come to think of it, we haven't done too shabbily this century without them anyway.

Salah, De Bruyne and Lukaku are terrific players (even though some doubt the latter judging from his thread), but how many have we sold or sent on eternal loan for the past 10 years or so? I have no idea, but it must be significantly more than the paltry 3 players who turned out great. As you said @ashwin, this happens at every club. Every club has limited places and patience to develop youngsters to become regulars in the first squad. Club owners and governing boards want to win prizes now; managers wanting to keep their jobs know this (especially with an owner like Abramovich) so they take limited risks with unproven youngsters, instead going with players they trust to do well now. And if Tuchel thinks Tammy can't deliver enough goals, it's a waste of a player's career and a waste of a spot on the bench to keep him on, hoping that one day he'll be magic. My take on this is that Tammy is better off somewhere else, and for his sake I hope he'll be happy wherever he's going.

But in view of our history of selling/loaning players, the scenario of us buying Abraham back in 5 years for silly money is an unlikely one.

Edited by Valerie

I see reports saying how players have agreed a deal with a club before a fee has even been agreed, has something changed? I thought players can only talk to other clubs when a fee has been agreed else it's tapping up?

Looks like Chelsea and Roma have agreed a fee but Tammy has only agreed to join Arsenal.

21 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

I see reports saying how players have agreed a deal with a club before a fee has even been agreed, has something changed? I thought players can only talk to other clubs when a fee has been agreed else it's tapping up?

Looks like Chelsea and Roma have agreed a fee but Tammy has only agreed to join Arsenal.

Yeah I expect Tammy to turn Roma does otherwise he would not be in the squad for tomorrow. 

Arsenal have only offered to loan Tammy so far too. I guess if we make it clear to Tammy he can either go to Roma or be stuck in the reserves for 2 years maybe he changes his mind.

58 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Yeah I expect Tammy to turn Roma does otherwise he would not be in the squad for tomorrow. 

Arsenal have only offered to loan Tammy so far too. I guess if we make it clear to Tammy he can either go to Roma or be stuck in the reserves for 2 years maybe he changes his mind.

Exactly we’re not a charity. If arsenal want him they can pay 50m. Or he goes roma or stays on our bench

44 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Very Few English players go aboard, so unless Tammy is a huge Jose fan. Never fond of doing business with Arsenal, especially when they don't bother to pay. 1 or 2 injuries, we are down to bare bone, so keep him if we don't get a good fee.

Agree, though in this case if the choice is roma or our reserves he would be fool to turn down the move.

If tammy really believes in himself then he should look at the example of Salah who spent a few years in Italy and got a big move back, and is now a PL and CL winner.

8 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Never fond of doing business with Arsenal, especially when they don't bother to pay.

I don't really get this one tbh, players giving us their best years then heading there to wind down is one of the biggest nods of approval we could get, it firmly (if it hasn't already) confirms who are now top dogs in London.

That said I don't want Tammy going there but more for his sake than anything else. Arteta's system is so attacker unfriendly Aubameyang has turned into a parody, Tammy would be feeding of utter scraps and would do well to even sniff double figures.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

I don't really get this one tbh, players giving us their best years then heading there to wind down is one of the biggest nods of approval we could get, it firmly (if it hasn't already) confirms who are now top dogs in London.

That said I don't want Tammy going there but more for his sake than anything else. Arteta's system is so attacker unfriendly Aubameyang has turned into a parody, Tammy would be feeding of utter scraps and would do well to even sniff double figures.

Ironically they actually beat us twice last season, so I'd say they don't need that much help in beating us again this season. If they actually offer 35-40M up front, it's a complete different story, just a cheap loan deal they can go f* themselves, and we aren't doing deals based on player's happiness.

43 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Ironically they actually beat us twice last season, 

Dalglish's Liverpool beat us four times out of five, O Neil's Villa had the measure of peak Jose's Chelsea. We barely ever lost at Old Trafford in the pre Roman era even when they were top class and we were pants.

Head to heads mean little to nothing in the grand the scheme of things.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Arsenal's record in 2021 isn't too shabby and falls a little under the radar. They will have the advantage of a lot of their players being rested over the summer and a more complete squad pre season albeit interrupted by covid. A lack of European football will help with preparation for Premier League games in a similar way that it did for us in Conte's first season.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/stats/premier-league-by-season/premier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

Personally I would prefer not to sell to them, we all know the media will be chomping at the bit for any hint that we haven't spent our money wisely and a direct comparison will be inevitable. Whilst admitting to not being Tammy's greatest fan, more so with his hold up play  and strength than his ability to being in the right place at the right time in the penalty area. At 23 he is possibly going to have a 'break out' season like so many young strikers do as they become more streetwise to the professional game. I'd prefer it not to be with the Gooners, who still are a huge club. Football honours have been cyclic for most of the time I've watched, its nice we now have the ascendancy, lets keep it that way with no helping hand. As for Tammy I do wonder if a move to Italy could be the making of him, new experience etc. Its interesting that the offer from Roma may well include a 'buyback clause', the club are no doubt aware of his potential.

Edited by charierre