Tammy Abraham

Nibs

18 hours ago, axman2526 said:

For me last season showed TT does not rate him, and with 2 years left on his deal and him very likely wanting more minutes a move makes sense. So I would venture a guess the club would be happy enough to sell him.

TT does not like strikers who are not working together with the team to recover the ball.
You could see this while TT was in Paris and he benched Icardi during the whole CL final in Lissabon. Instead he preferred Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. And during the season in France he benched Icardi and Moise Kean played a lot of matches instead of Icardi.

Icardi is the type of striker who is really disliked by TT: lazy in pressing situations, only waiting that others assist him in front of the goal and then he scores.

So the main key to convince TT is to work hard in those pressing situations against the ball. I think this was TT's explanation as well why he was replacing CHO after he brought him in as a substitute.

The solution for Tammy Abraham is really simple: Work hard in training. Especially in these situations when you try to recover the ball.
Basically I dont see such a big difference between Abraham and Moise Kean in front of the goal but Tammy must improve his work rate in the defense. Then TT will rate him higher.

Edited by TheGermanOne

41 minutes ago, TheGermanOne said:

TT does not like strikers who are not working together with the team to recover the ball.
You could see this while TT was in Paris and he benched Icardi during the whole CL final in Lissabon. Instead he preferred Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting. And during the season in France he benched Icardi and Moise Kean played a lot of matches instead of Icardi.

Icardi is the type of striker who is really disliked by TT: lazy in pressing situations, only waiting that others assist him in front of the goal and then he scores.

So the main key to convince TT is to work hard in those pressing situations against the ball. I think this was TT's explanation as well why he was replacing CHO after he brought him in as a substitute.

The solution for Tammy Abraham is really simple: Work hard in training. Especially in these situations when you try to recover the ball.
Basically I dont see such a big difference between Abraham and Moise Kean in front of the goal but Tammy must improve his work rate in the defense. Then TT will rate him higher.

This is the problem with alot of these big target strikers though. Haaland and Lukaku are no different from Abraham when it comes to chasing around defenders with the rest of the team. They like to conserve energy when they can, but they are just way more effective when they decide to use it. Diego Costa is one of the few that managed to do both, waving Eden Hazard and the other attackers forward to join him in a high press. 

1 hour ago, TheGermanOne said:

So the main key to convince TT is to work hard in those pressing situations against the ball.

IIRC Joelinton did this for Hoffenheim. Just saying, not actually suggesting we should sign him (even if just on loan). 🤪

1 hour ago, comtrend said:

This is the problem with alot of these big target strikers though. Haaland and Lukaku are no different from Abraham when it comes to chasing around defenders with the rest of the team. They like to conserve energy when they can, but they are just way more effective when they decide to use it. Diego Costa is one of the few that managed to do both, waving Eden Hazard and the other attackers forward to join him in a high press. 

Law also linked and also not this type of forward. Think the media have no idea who we would like to sign and are just slinging mud hoping something sticks.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

There's been smoke for months about Tuchel wanting Mando in the squad next season.

As it stands he's probably the back up to Kai.

Agreed. Kai is the lock up front imo, the other 2 spots are up for grabs.

54 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Agreed. Kai is the lock up front imo, the other 2 spots are up for grabs.

Hopefully if/when Mando becomes a trusted member of the squad it can show the contract rebels below that their is a pathway.

Livramento is a tricky one as (like with Lamptey before him) he will always be second fiddle to Reece unless wingbacks are here to stay but Bate and Jude (the latter isn't rebelling at this point but next summer he will have a year left) need to be convinced. 

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Hopefully if/when Mando becomes a trusted member of the squad it can show the contract rebels below that their is a pathway.

Livramento is a tricky one as (like with Lamptey before him) he will always be second fiddle to Reece unless wingbacks are here to stay but Bate and Jude (the latter isn't rebelling at this point but next summer he will have a year left) need to be convinced. 

Hopefully indeed. Though we do have a good academy and realistically we cannot get all over them in the team and squad, some have to go. If we can sell with the same options we got on Guehi then that is a good way to go imo.

22 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Are we are looking to sell because he wont sign a new contract or because Tuchel doesn't seem to rate him?.

I would venture it is both. TT not using him is not going to convince him to sign a new deal, at the same time not signing a new deal does not help his chances to play.

50 minutes ago, BordeauxBlue said:

I'd rather we not sell him to Arsenal. 

can't really sell him anywhere unless we sign someone better IMO.

he is still a 15-goal striker, which could be invaluable in this squad, especially with Giroud gone.  

His contract situation is abit worrying given the club value him at £40m and he is probably worth that fee to be honest. Young (mostly) Proven PL scorer will be snapped up. He has 2 years left now? 

Why have the club let so many players contracts run down?

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

His contract situation is abit worrying given the club value him at £40m and he is probably worth that fee to be honest. Young (mostly) Proven PL scorer will be snapped up. He has 2 years left now? 

i think its not just us... across everywhere the players hold the keys - look at united with Pogba / Pool with Gigi/Barca/Bayern etc.. all are struggling in this area..

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

Well here’s a conundrum to contemplate , if TA was available to buy from another club, would Chelsea be interested in pursuing him ? 

I doubt it ? 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Well here’s a conundrum to contemplate , if TA was available to buy from another club, would Chelsea be interested in pursuing him ? 

I doubt it ? 

Why not though? DCL has been floated as a potential signing, and you bet if Tammy was coming off his 1st PL playing for a rival he would have been an option.

The reality is there is a lack of quality forwards in the 18-25yr range, and once your Benzema, Lewandowski etc retire a player like Tammy would be a prized possession.

44 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Why not though? DCL has been floated as a potential signing, and you bet if Tammy was coming off his 1st PL playing for a rival he would have been an option.

The reality is there is a lack of quality forwards in the 18-25yr range, and once your Benzema, Lewandowski etc retire a player like Tammy would be a prized possession.

I had high hopes for Abraham but he went backwards last season. He has always had a knack for goals but you do wonder if he has enough about him to be a player who can perform at the top level (Arsenal & West Ham NOT being the top level obviously!)

Last season, he should have been kicking on, but at times he looks far too lightweight, no good up holding up the ball, poor in the air, and spent too much time falling over. Shame, as I would have loved an academy player to become our main striker but just don't see it with Tammy and can see why DCL is thought of as the better players as he does have a more complete striker look about him.

Tbh I don’t think Calvert Lewin is any better than Abraham, you put Tammy in Everton team and he’ll probably get similar figures to Calvert Lewin.

Having just won the champions league and wanting to compete for the premier league title, I’m afraid Abraham isn’t good enough to push us to a title charge. We need someone like Drogba or Costa. Haaland seems to be the obvious answer, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at Lewandowski either.

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

I read what you’ve written it makes me think that second best will do ? sadly Tammy will never be good enough, imo.

There is much to like about TA the man, but like Nibs says, he flatters to deceive, he will find his level and will do an alright kinda job for a lesser club , but he’s not good enough to play at the highest level , again, imo.

I wouldn’t have DCL either, he would definitely be an improvement, but I just don’t think he’s got ‘it’ - right now our stock is high on the back of winning big ears and RA has , seemingly, pockets full of Wonga to spend - I say let’s press ahead, make £150m bid for Haaland + agents/dads fees and chuck a player or two in to sweeten the deal for BD, let’s get Chiesa, Declan Rice, let’s put 110% trust and belief in TT and get him who he wants, let’s not miss this opportunity to build a lasting dynasty that will attract the best young stars of the future . 

Success begets success .

Thinking out loud a bit but why are English players so reluctant to go and make a career for themselves abroad? Tomori aside all our players who have gone stay in the EPL.

And it's a running theme going back decades, even when Serie A and La Liga pissed all over the Premier League very few ventured out.

If Arsenal is willing to pay 40M, sounds like a decent deal for us. He's not going to make it at Chelsea, best we could hope is a backup striker for the first choice, or a big fee transfer ( and 40M is as good as it's going to get). Even at Arsenal, he will have a battle to be the starting striker

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I read what you’ve written it makes me think that second best will do ? sadly Tammy will never be good enough, imo.

There is much to like about TA the man, but like Nibs says, he flatters to deceive, he will find his level and will do an alright kinda job for a lesser club , but he’s not good enough to play at the highest level , again, imo.

I wouldn’t have DCL either, he would definitely be an improvement, but I just don’t think he’s got ‘it’ - right now our stock is high on the back of winning big ears and RA has , seemingly, pockets full of Wonga to spend - I say let’s press ahead, make £150m bid for Haaland + agents/dads fees and chuck a player or two in to sweeten the deal for BD, let’s get Chiesa, Declan Rice, let’s put 110% trust and belief in TT and get him who he wants, let’s not miss this opportunity to build a lasting dynasty that will attract the best young stars of the future . 

Success begets success .

I admire your optimism but we will be lucky to get Rice out of those players listed. The other two are not happening.

10 minutes ago, Argo said:

Thinking out loud a bit but why are English players so reluctant to go and make a career for themselves abroad? Tomori aside all our players who have gone stay in the EPL.

And it's a running theme going back decades, even when Serie A and La Liga pissed all over the Premier League very few ventured out.

Fear of the unknown,  lack of ambition, lack of confidence, too comfortable where they already are ???? but I suspect the biggest issue is not being able to communicate or understand another language and not being prepared to take yourself outside of your comfort zone to survive in a country where you are a foreigner.

I spent 20 years working all over the world, fortunately the contract language was always English , so everyone had to speak in my mother tongue, it made work easier, but outside of that things could be difficult.

I’m sure a lot of European and African players speak some English, but surely the English imports would almost have to learn the language of the country of the club that they signed to otherwise it doesn’t work does it ?  Also, what an opportunity to learn another language and experience a new culture

Mind you, Monkey chops Bale seems to have made it ‘work’, even if he is the most despised Galacticos in the history of RM ? (He’s also one of the richest too - no chance he is walking away early from his £600k a week contract)

4 minutes ago, thebluekid said:

I admire your optimism but we will be lucky to get Rice out of those players listed. The other two are not happening.

Oh I don’t say it will happen , what I say is stop f**king about trying to be a clever clogs and do everything you can to make it possible and if it doesn’t happen then you live without regrets and any ‘if only’s !’

Unlike some, I don’t get hung up spending Romans money !