Nibs

Tammy Abraham

On 03/04/2017 at 19:24, BCFC22 said:

Good evening all you Blues fans

Hope you don't mind but Im a Bristol City fan visiting your forum as I thought  I'd take the time to pass on some comments about ( your )Tammy Abraham 

Im no starry eyed teenager but a a mid 50s , bit of a grumpy , Bristol City follower ,and someone who is losing love for the game I've lived and breathed for 50yrs

Ironically the Blues are a team I followed closely for a number of years after you signed my childhood Chris Garland in early 70s, I even have a slightly scratched prized 'Blue is the colour' 45' !!

I had a 10year spell scouting for a number of League Clubs and spend periods of games even now watching individual players rather than the game / following the ball so like to think I can provide a reasonable assessment of a player.

So Tammy Abraham... 

First and foremost , alongside just about virtually every City fan I know , we are extremely grateful to Chelsea that have been fortunate enough to loan Tammy this season. If we avoid relegation it will be largely off the back of this lads young shoulders.

Without him we would have been dead and buried weeks ago

Im not a close follower of Premiership Football (Seems a million miles away from where we are) , particularly in respect of watching games in the flesh, and so I'm not in a educated position to say whether Tammy is likely to break through at his home club.

As a top four club , who sign players of the quality of Hazzard , Costa etc I fully understand how and why it's always going to be ridiculously tough to break into such a quality side

Ive seen all but two of our games this season and increasingly been watching Tammy and his development in his first taste of senior football.

Tammys goal return as a standalone stat is indeed impressive but I can assure you doesn't IMHO come close to reflecting his ability or contribution

The Championship , is a tough place to make an impact , especially at his age, and He has scored 22 goals this season in a very poor side in turmoil. He's scored those goals , in spite of extremely poor service and support , not because of decent or even reasonable service and support.

He has been deployed for virtually the whole of the season as a lone striker with an overweight and unfit Lee Tomlin deployed as a 10 to support him, which he doesn't , save for a single game in front of Sky Cameras !!!

As a result Tammy has been a isolated figure up top with poor support and a service normally thrown in his general direction and often somewhere around his throat.

Centre halves in the Championship tend to be physical, often with some premiership experience and I'd say are probably more physical (as they can get away with a bit more in Championship !) and this lad has in truth, been battered most of the season from two centre halves in opposition sides , as I said often in a losing cause with dreadful support and Service.

From the first minute he has appeared for us , does this lad lose faith or become demoralised - Not a bit , on  a dozen or so occasions this season I've Sen him clattered and go or stay down in obvious pain but the lad gets treatment , gets up, and shakes himself down , time after time , game after game .... fantastic

Every single game the lad comes off the pitch having left absolutely everything on it - fantastic to see, noticed, and appreciated by suppporters - the standard response to our (regular) defeats has been 'Tammy , Tammy ....Abraham' ringing round the ground , just that , always that , which sort of says everything

Hes a talented lad no doubt, good first touch , with decent service can hold the ball up well and link play, and a willing runner in the channels.His finishing is pretty damned good, not perfect but he has the skill of finding space in the box and reading the game to be in the right place to poach goals - lovely to see a poacher, but he's a whole lot more than that and has shown when on the rare occasions he's clever enough and good enough to make the most of any decent service.

He's not the polished gem yet but has developed even with us and has got to grips with the physicality and pace of First Team football week by week

In my 50 years of following my club , as some of you will have , I've seen hundreds and hundreds of players and over a hundred loanees

In all those years Tammy comes a very close second to Andy Cole in the obvious and significant impact he's had at our club over all those years

As good as Andy Cole , close but not quite , but Cole was 21 when he came to us and Tammy has another two years before you could make a fair comparison - In two years time Tammy will be up there with a 21 yr old Andy Cole from what I have seen.

I won't try and tell you anymore about your player whose career I will follow closely - I have no doubt that he will go on to forge a good career in the Premier League , hopefully in a Chelsea shirt and I'm confident that he will represent his country, possibly as a mainstay in a few years time

So a massive Thankyou for the privilege of having this lad at Ashton Gate this season

And finally and most importantly

Ive started to fall out of love with the modern game and the modern footballer , full of ego and only interested in £££ , but this lad is a complete breath of fresh air in absolutely everything , about his commitment , humility , attitude , desire - truly awesome

The way he conducts himself both on and off the pitch has been a complete joy as has witnessing his obvious and deep desire to play well and to achieve results

His interaction with supporters is a joy and he has become admired and idolised amongst our fanabse and will walk our player and young player of the year and rightly so

Embarrassingly his desire , commitment and obvious pain when the final whistle blows and we have been beaten is far in excess of every single one of our own players ( At Brentford on Saturday he mouthed 'Sorry' to our away following !!!! as he left the pitch after another defeat, despite having played HIS heart out for 90 mins ploughing a lone furrow up front again - when do you ever see that from a modern player !!)

I  have some connections at Bristol City and reports of this lad confirm everything I've witnessed, humble, extremely hard working, always has a smile on his face, eager to learn and improve ..... tick tick tick

This lad has Id suggest a World Class attitude , whatever his ability is eventually assessed to be and I , as a football fan hope the lad goes on to have a fantastic career at the highest level and reaps the rewards that would bring .... because you know what..... this kid deserves everything he gets

I thought you may like a third part view of the lad from someone whose seen lots of him this season and watched him closely in all aspects

If he gets the chance at Stamford Bridge please get behind this lad as he is a gem , certainly attitude wise and will give everything for the shirt , that I can promise you

He is a complete credit To Chelsea Football Club, to the academy and the staff that work there

Most of all he's a credit to his parents , and most of all to himself - So nice to say that about a  young modern footballer

I will be really sad to see this lad go back to you in May as he's helped me keep some faith in modern day footballers

Good luck for the rest of the season - undoubtedly another title possibly a double is on its way :)

Love Conte - Think you are in for some years of sustained success  !!!

Fantastic post. I really hope Diego Costa gets to read it.

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

There's no way this lad would be performing worse than Costa right now.

What a finish.  The keeper never expected it at all and thought he was going for a chip.

On 09/04/2017 at 00:17, BCFC22 said:

Eve all

Three little stories about Tammy in last 10 days

Brentford (a) Ran his heart out and gave everything in a pitiful team performance - at the end walks over to the away support and mouths 'Sorry' despite personally having nothing to be sorry about

Preston (a) The vast majority of the side , not him , down tools on our clueless head coach and capitulate - At the end the Head Coach and players head straight off down the tunnel - Not TA - despite running himself into the ground goes over to away fans and quietly enters the away section and spends some time with , and speaks to , some of the youngsters who idolise him

In the week picks up a knock and according to Head Coach is virtually in tears thinking he may miss a vital game today

Today - great performance leading the line , another two goals and his usual beaming smile

This lad is a total class act as a professional footballer , already , both in his ability and as I keep saying as a man / character, all at 19 yrs old

Incredible goal return for a 19'yr old in his first taste of (tough) Senior Football in a disfunctional side

(remember he's missed a few games due to an injury too )

So much respect for him

Will be gutted to see him go

Hes too good for us that's for sure !!! 

Yes, brilliant post. Much appreciated. As you say, it's impossible to know if he can make it with us but it's great to read that his attitude cannot be faulted. I've loved watching him for the youth team, and he has the potential to be  a success, but I'd have put big money on Gael kakuta and Josh Mac coming through, so no-one can be sure what the future holds for him.

Thanks again for posting.

Really appreciate your posts, @BCFC22. It's good to get a perspective from someone who watches him week in week out. I'm quite hopeful that Conte will give him a chance in the summer and next season. I've been so impressed from the highlights I've seen of him. Our most impressive young loan player this season for sure and he's still got loads of potential to hit.

Certainly would be performing better than Costa right now, in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

Honestly, how good is this kid?

His hold up play is brilliant but what was more apparent today was his "geeing up" of his team mates.

He is 19 years old, on loan and could easily just coast through games but there were 2 occasions today where I thought , mate I could not love you any more.

Not sure what the score was, possibly 1-2 when he was visibly encouraging everyone to up their game and secondly when Brownhill cut in from the right and hit a poor shot off target, Tammy went straight over to him to offer more encouragement.

This lad is a credit to his family, to Chelsea FC and more importantly a credit to himself.

We are so very lucky to have had him this season

Clearly he has given a good account of himself as the fans think so much of him. Having taken good care of him, playing and resting him at the correct times I hope we look to send more of our young starlets there to gain experience.

problem is bristol city get relegated we won't send any loanees there. hopefully other championship sides will be as good as bristol city have been with giving tammy chances.

11 minutes ago, enigma said:

problem is bristol city get relegated we won't send any loanees there. hopefully other championship sides will be as good as bristol city have been with giving tammy chances.

Bristol City aren't getting relegated.

34 minutes ago, charierre said:

Bristol City aren't getting relegated.

it seems you might be right. i knew they were near the bottom, but just checked the table and yeah looks like they'll be safe. i wonder where tammy will go next season though. i genuinely believe he'll score goals wherever he goes next. he seems to have that something about him. 

Well their strikers at the moment are: 

Vardy - Decent and presumably he'll stay, unless he forces his way out
Slimani - Average
Okazaki - Nothing special
Ulloa - Never plays

I would assume they'd maybe get rid of 2 of those in the summer, so it really depends how many he's fighting against for a spot in the team, as teams will generally favour their own players over loan players if they have to choose. But a PL loan would be great for him, if he can get the minutes.

I remember watching all of Diego's goals from Atletico the year before we signed them.  The goals were very simple, right place right time goals and sometimes that is all you need.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:00, Zeta said:

Well their strikers at the moment are: 

Vardy - Decent and presumably he'll stay, unless he forces his way out
Slimani - Average
Okazaki - Nothing special
Ulloa - Never plays

I would assume they'd maybe get rid of 2 of those in the summer, so it really depends how many he's fighting against for a spot in the team, as teams will generally favour their own players over loan players if they have to choose. But a PL loan would be great for him, if he can get the minutes.

Vardy and Ulloa are aging in football terms.

I see Slimani as cover for Ulloa though don't think they have cover for Vardy and so perhaps see Abraham as cover for Vardy.

Okazaki I see as a second striker to come off the bench.  He hasn't got any obvious strengths yet often seems to score or create an assist for them (at least last season, anyway).

i see a few people commenting on that video stating how he's a goal poacher in a way like it's a bad thing. in the youth team i remember him scoring a variety of different goals. when you're playing at a higher level you're not going to get chances to score screamers every week, if at all, so you gotta think smart and be efficient with limited chances. i never understand the criticism for a striker being a goal poacher and scoring tap ins.