Nibs

Tammy Abraham

Not fully fit so I'll give him somewhat of a pass, but he definitely doesn't have that quick decisiveness of a top striker at times, he has shown it at some points like his goal against Arsenal so there is hope of him getting better.

7 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Not fully fit so I'll give him somewhat of a pass, but he definitely doesn't have that quick decisiveness of a top striker at times, he has shown it at some points like his goal against Arsenal so there is hope of him getting better.

He's been getting into good positions when he was fully fit ... but if you're not fully fit then it has to have an effect ... the issue is that the back up options are very limited.

We need a world class striker to lead the line with Tammy learning for the future as he is not ready to be number 1. He doesn't seem to know how to attack the box.

As much as I want our academy products to succeed here, I said at the start of the season he's not good enough for this level, and he's not proving me wrong. He scored against a few minnows earlier in the season and has done basically nothing since,. baring the odd goal here and there. We need a much better striker if we want to improve.

Deary me the knee jerks are huge.

Bloke comes on for 30 minutes when just coming back to fitness against a team who bossed us and all of a sudden he's not good enough? 

He's just about scored more goals this season than our strikers in the last two seasons combined.

Few herbal teas might be required in here to help you relax.

I nearly flipped my coffee table when he didn’t shoot with that chance when he came on. Their defence retreated and retreated and he eventually got to the edge of their box. Could have even passed it but he had a clear sight at goal. 

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

As much as I want our academy products to succeed here, I said at the start of the season he's not good enough for this level, and he's not proving me wrong. He scored against a few minnows earlier in the season and has done basically nothing since,. baring the odd goal here and there. We need a much better striker if we want to improve.

Agreed. A very poor performance yesterday. With his conversion rate we can forget about titles any time soon, I don't want to know how many chances he has squandered this season. We need a world class striker and Tammy isn't it.

Deary me the knee jerks are huge.
Bloke comes on for 30 minutes when just coming back to fitness against a team who bossed us and all of a sudden he's not good enough? 
He's just about scored more goals this season than our strikers in the last two seasons combined.
Few herbal teas might be required in here to help you relax.

This is not knee jerk it's been happening a while now he may well turn into a elite striker but the signs I see suggest he will just be another okay striker and won't be a striker that changes the game ie. Costa, Drogba, Kun, Van Persie, Henry.

Games changers who can win you a title I may be wrong but his legs normally look like lead is in his shoes

7 hours ago, Brutos said:

This is not knee jerk it's been happening a while now he may well turn into a elite striker but the signs I see suggest he will just be another okay striker and won't be a striker that changes the game ie. Costa, Drogba, Kun, Van Persie, Henry.

Games changers who can win you a title I may be wrong but his legs normally look like lead is in his shoes

He's 22 years old. He's scored 15 goals in half a season. That's more than Didier scored in his first season at 25 having dominated in France and the UEFA Cup beforehand. 

Let's not rule him out and go looking for the chequebook to find the next Morata just yet shall we?

There's definitely some kneejerk here and lack of patience. But also it's something i've been wanting to say for a while, months even, I wish I did but I didn't want to be harsh. For me he's not that clinical in front of goal, he misses a lot of chances, I'm all for sticking with Tammy but this is an area he has to improve on and quickly if he wants to be our starting striker. He can't keep missing chances like that. 

39 minutes ago, Slojo said:

There's definitely some kneejerk here and lack of patience. But also it's something i've been wanting to say for a while, months even, I wish I did but I didn't want to be harsh. For me he's not that clinical in front of goal, he misses a lot of chances, I'm all for sticking with Tammy but this is an area he has to improve on and quickly if he wants to be our starting striker. He can't keep missing chances like that. 

And yet so many people's solution to our striking crisis is Timo Werner who is known in Germany for his ability to waste chances.

Sometimes the answer is patience rather than the chequebook. Tammy is not Kalou or Morata. Everyone misses. Tammy is only going to get better.

Edited by Spiller86

He's 22 years old. He's scored 15 goals in half a season. That's more than Didier scored in his first season at 25 having dominated in France and the UEFA Cup beforehand. 
Let's not rule him out and go looking for the chequebook to find the next Morata just yet shall we?

He isn't ready be number 1, and no one is giving up on him, we need a game changer in upfront in the next two seasons and I don't see him being that guy maybe he does morph into a deadly striker but currently misses far too many especially tap ins never in the 6 yard for crosses

59 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

And yet so many people's solution to our striking crisis is Timo Werner who is known in Germany for his ability to waste chances.

Sometimes the answer is patience rather than the chequebook. Tammy is not Kalou or Morata. Everyone misses. Tammy is only going to get better.

We need a backup striker regardless, so we should be buying another striker in the summer. 

I don't think anyone has lost patience / confidence in him, but we definitely need a top drawer striker while Tammy recoups the skills we know he has. We cannot just rely on him as our alternatives at the moment are not up to it, especially when Giroud leaves.

13 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

werner 25 goals league and champions league

(5 pens)

18 big misses.

Abraham 15 goals league and champions league

20 big misses. 

I think you have a fair point that both are similar in front of goal, but Werner has a better all around game, makes more chances for the players around him, and is versatile enough to play multiple positions. I think the main reason why im keen, is his buy out clause, which seems to be €30m, but i guess time will tell if theres any truth in that. If he was £80m then i would definitely want to look elsewhere, but for the price, and the versatility, meaning he could play with Tammy or instead of, i dont see theres a better candicate. 

I dont really want us to spend big money on an out and out striker, because i still believe in Abraham, even though he has some way to go in my opinion. 

So personally i think a hybrid is the way to go. Then have a 3rd striker who is more of a traditional 9, but would obviously be happy with very few minutes. Maybe Batshuayi or Giroud could fill this role for a season or 2. 

Tbf best option for us would be to get someone like Lautaro Martinez.Not necessarily him,but that type of player.He can play alone up front,behind a striker and on the wings.Someone who would threaten his position and make him work,but not really displace him so he can't play at all.

For me Tammy does come a bit too clumsy sometimes and his decision making and positioning have been all over the place.That being said he still scored 15 goals this season and he deserves at least 2-3 more seasons here considering he's only 22,The problem is that decision making and positioning are mostly natural and is bloody hard to learn.However I still have faith in the guy,I'm just not as optimistic about him as many people here.

We have a bunch of young players in and around the team right now.Reece,Tomori,Gilmoure,RLC,Odoi,Tammy,Mount ,Christensen and Pulisic.It would be great if all of them can grow into world beaters,but not all of them are going to make it at the absolute top level.I mean perhaps they will,but it would be somewhat miraculous.

There is nothing wrong in trusting young players,but we do have a lot of them now and some of them are going to have to show absolute top class really soon.

Edited by mm24

On 26/02/2020 at 10:12, Zeta said:

Minnows? Sheffield United and Wolves are fighting for a CL place.

Posted (edited)
On 26/02/2020 at 07:45, Brutos said:

I don't think Costa, Drogba, Aguero, RvP, or Henry were more or less accomplished in their first full seasons with their parent clubs at their ages than Tammy is.

Let's give him time to actually develop before we kill him for not meeting unrealistic expectations. 

Nobody wants to drink a wine that was just bottled.

Edited by Boston Blue

3 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

I don't think Costa, Drogba, Aguero, RvP, or Henry were more or less accomplished in their first full seasons with their parent clubs at their ages than Tammy is.

Let's give him time to actually develop before we kill him for not meeting unrealistic expectations. 

Nobody wants to drink a wine that was just bottled.

Hopefully he will mature like a wine, rather than a port...

(Port takes about 30 years to mature)