Tammy Abraham

3 minutes ago, MayosNoun! said:

I’d still prefer Timo through middle and Pulisic left when fit. 

But, whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I wouldn’t drop Tammy right now. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a player to prove me wrong as much as I do with Tammy. 

I’ve slated his workrate when he replaces Werner who presses constantly. Tammy done this today for the first time throughout the game. He didn’t once slack off and he deserved his goal. His all round game wasn’t brilliant but again he scores and he pressed well. Has to start next game for me. 

Pulisic on his day, when fit, has to start. I don't really like Werner out wide that much, but I understand why he's playing there now. 

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

Pulisic on his day, when fit, has to start. I don't really like Werner out wide that much, but I understand why he's playing there now. 

On the contrary I feel as though Werner plays a lot better on the left as opposed to Centrally, I feel he can utilise his pace a lot better on the left and Tammy can do the dirty work Centrally mixing with the big boys.

The best thing for me is at the moment is that Tammy is playing really well and Timo is still either scoring or contributing whilst playing out on the left.

Pulisic, despite being our best player towards the end of last season has had injury problems this season and will probably need a few games before he gets back to anything like the form he had last season.

So while Pulisic is out and Tammy and Tim are doing the business then it's happy days IMO.

It'll be like having a new player rather than struggling without him and rushing him back too early.

At the minute Tammy and Tim deserve to start matches and Timo on the left works.

4 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Works well. Reality is this is a good problem. When Pulisic returns we’ll have options, and be able to rest others, which we’ll need. I’m still not convinced Tammy makes our best 11 though. 
keep scoring Tammy - we need some against Spuds. 

Spuds is the only match i will miss Willian.. always used to perform against that.. i hope Tammy / Werner are the new Boogeymen against Spuds for us.

22 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

We have a striker, Werner. Alot of clubs would love to have a backup centre forward as good as Abraham.

The only thing is if Pulisic is out a majority of the time Werner plays on the left, and if Giroud goes Abraham is the only striker then,I just Don't feel he is a top striker.

11 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

On the contrary I feel as though Werner plays a lot better on the left as opposed to Centrally, I feel he can utilise his pace a lot better on the left and Tammy can do the dirty work Centrally mixing with the big boys.

I think Frank realised this ages ago. Timo can't use the turbo unless he has space, he's more suited to play up top in a counter attacking team, most of our attacks come from recycled ball high up the pitch, and when we do have chance to counter from our half, he can still be lethal from out on the left as we could see yesterday. I think Frank has got it bang on, and the table proves it, top scorers.

27 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

The only thing is if Pulisic is out a majority of the time Werner plays on the left, and if Giroud goes Abraham is the only striker then,I just Don't feel he is a top striker.

He's 23 years old and got 15 league goals last season, and is still improving. 2 strikers is fine, He is only backup he doesn't have to be a top striker. When Pulisic is injured and Lampard doesn't 100% trust Hudson Odoi maybe go for another winger who can play on the left and right. Then Werner can stay up top when Pulisic is injured.

29 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

He's 23 years old and got 15 league goals last season, and is still improving. 2 strikers is fine, He is only backup he doesn't have to be a top striker. When Pulisic is injured and Lampard doesn't 100% trust Hudson Odoi maybe go for another winger who can play on the left and right. Then Werner can stay up top when Pulisic is injured.

I know what you mean,but don't you feel Werner is best coming in from the left.

33 minutes ago, coco said:

I think Frank realised this ages ago. Timo can't use the turbo unless he has space, he's more suited to play up top in a counter attacking team, most of our attacks come from recycled ball high up the pitch, and when we do have chance to counter from our half, he can still be lethal from out on the left as we could see yesterday. I think Frank has got it bang on, and the table proves it, top scorers.

He plays left for Germany too, and for his old club, it seems his natural movement is to drift left even when he's apparently playing central. People seem to want a front 3 of of pulisuc/werner/ziyech but I'm not sure it will work at all. I think having Abraham as a central striker with 2 playing off him suits us much more at the moment and brings the best out of Werner. Its not like he's never central anyway when Abraham plays, weren't was ahead of him quite often yesterday as Abraham came short with his back to goal, allowing weren't to run past him and get behind a defence.

15 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I agree with this. I think we all often jump to conclusions too quickly. Werner had a couple of underwhelming performances on the left so we assume it’s not the right position when reality is he / the team / Lampard were still adapting.

Probably his worst game of the season today. I said in the match thread that he is to us what Jesus is to City. A decent player, but not somebody that is good enough to start every game and win you titles.

I don't think he should be starting every game ahead of Giroud either. In a game like today, against a packed defence, it's not a game I would have preferred Abraham in. Giroud is a much better option for this type of game and I am struggling to understand why Lampard played Abraham ahead of him. It's not just today either, already this season we are seeing Giroud on the fringes and Abraham playing pretty much every game ahead of him. I'm not really seeing anything to suggest that Abraham is a better footballer than Giroud right now, so I don't understand why Giroud isn't at least sharing the role with Abraham.

9 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Probably his worst game of the season today. I said in the match thread that he is to us what Jesus is to City. A decent player, but not somebody that is good enough to start every game and win you titles.

I don't think he should be starting every game ahead of Giroud either. In a game like today, against a packed defence, it's not a game I would have preferred Abraham in. Giroud is a much better option for this type of game and I am struggling to understand why Lampard played Abraham ahead of him. It's not just today either, already this season we are seeing Giroud on the fringes and Abraham playing pretty much every game ahead of him. I'm not really seeing anything to suggest that Abraham is a better footballer than Giroud right now, so I don't understand why Giroud isn't at least sharing the role with Abraham.

He's a good player but he had a mare there. I didn't think he was that bad in the first half as numerous others were saying, were signs that he was still in the game and dangerous, especially when he slipped past Dier like he wasn't even there. 

But 2nd half that all changed, he was atrocious, you can't miss chances like that in a game like this. 

I think this performance has just given Giroud some hope at Chelsea, he should be playing over Abarham after a game like that. 

17 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Yep. Think Giroud would have scored from one of those headers. Ironic that Tammy is probably better on the deck and maybe would have done better than Giroud with the late chance.

I would have preferred to see Giroud start today but I think against him is his lack of pace and ability to press, so agaisnt a side like Spurs, Lamps is always going to go with the players who have more athleticism and energy, so I can completely understand his thinking.

But I'm with you on the Jesus comparison. Not good enough to start week in week out and when everyone is fully fit, I don't expect he will.