Jump to content

Tammy Abraham


Recommended Posts


17 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

What if he goes to another team, bangs in 20 a season and we're stuck with our latest misfiring, expensive, new play thing? 

I was about to say that. He’s very reliable when we’re playing bottom half PL teams, he’s possibly the best finisher at the club. He knows how to score.

We sell him, we could end up with Haaland, Werner and Giroud. Giroud, as fantastic as he is, can’t be trusted to perform every week. Werner, well he’s been pretty gash so far. Who knows how well will Haaland do?

Haaland flops, we have Werner and Giroud to fall back on. God help us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d imagine he’d be worth at least 40 million , when you consider the price Watkins went to villa for and Joelinton to Newcastle. He’s significantly more proven than both of them when they went for big fees. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

What if he goes to another team, bangs in 20 a season and we're stuck with our latest misfiring, expensive, new play thing? 

That's exactly what's gonna happen he'll go back to villa or West Ham and start banging in goals and fulfilling his potential.

Funny how he was scoring last season under lampard in a more attacking system all be it with less expectation also which is frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Abraham, but i can understand why the club would be looking for something a bit better from their number 9. 

If you look at the goals he scores, the vast majority are 1st time finishes, where he is usually getting on the end of a cross or cut back, or where the ball falls nicely for him. He very rarely engineers the shooting opportunity for himself, the only time he has really done that was for 2 of his goals at wolves, and the winner against arsenal. 

Now if you compare that to haaland or lukaku who we have been linked with, they score those types aswell, but they also score way more goals, by just engineering half a yard for themselves and getting shots away.

Abraham will always score goals, because he has that 6th sense to sniff out where to be, but he is very much a poacher, and I think we need more than that in the lone striker role. 

His hold up play is improving, but still not to the level where it could be deemed a real asset. His aerial ability is quite poor considering his size. 

He is young still, so he has time on his side to develop, but in the 18 months since that purple patch and his hat trick against wolves, i dont think he improved or even replicate those performances enough since. 

I dont see this as the same situation as salah, de bruyne, or lukaku, Abraham has had plenty of opportunities compared to those 3, and he is also older than all 3 of those when they left. 

Id love him to stay and be a good rotational option, but i also wouldnt blame him or the club if he was to leave.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2021 at 17:57, Ray_Cfc said:

That's exactly what's gonna happen he'll go back to villa or West Ham and start banging in goals and fulfilling his potential.

Funny how he was scoring last season under lampard in a more attacking system all be it with less expectation also which is frustrating.

He was underwhelming last season too. Had that purple patch at the start but otherwise struggled for the rest of it.

And to be honest, I don't think he'd start for those two teams you mentioned either. If we forgot all about Tammy being from the academy I think very, very few would consider him good enough.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He was underwhelming last season too. Had that purple patch at the start but otherwise struggled for the rest of it.

And to be honest, I don't think he'd start for those two teams you mentioned either. If we forgot all about Tammy being from the academy I think very, very few would consider him good enough.

 

 

 

 

Think he is better than Watkins & Antonio, and you can’t underestimate the service Grealish, Barkley, Fornals & Bowen provide for their frontmen. Presently we have no creativity in the middle of the park, and lack genuine width/pace upfront. Against 75% of the other teams in that will sit deep against us, those are very important.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't help him to have that many starting youngsters among him I'd say. If there would be at least one player like Hazard around who can create stuff completely on his own thus carrying a game (at least attacking wise) it'd be much easier for Tammy I'd say. But right now you have a bunch of highly talented guys like CHO, Mount and James (+Gilmour in the background as well) and a bunch of brand new assets like Hakim, Werner, Havertz (mostly young too plus new to the league) but only Giroud as the sinlge experienced guy in the last third who could at least theoretically lead those guys, unfortunately this is his direct competitor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Think he is better than Watkins & Antonio, and you can’t underestimate the service Grealish, Barkley, Fornals & Bowen provide for their frontmen. Presently we have no creativity in the middle of the park, and lack genuine width/pace upfront. Against 75% of the other teams in that will sit deep against us, those are very important.

He's part of the problem though. Because he consistently struggles to control the ball and to keep it when we play it up to him as a target-man.

Every attacker have been extremely underwhelming but Abraham haven't exactly delivered himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 02/03/2021 at 16:57, Ray_Cfc said:

That's exactly what's gonna happen he'll go back to villa or West Ham and start banging in goals and fulfilling his potential.

Funny how he was scoring last season under lampard in a more attacking system all be it with less expectation also which is frustrating.

Yep and when it came to the crunch Lampard panicked and reverted to a player he ignored for half a season.

I like Tammy as a rotation/horses for courses option and if he's willing to play thay role going forward ideal, but if he's demanding undisputed number 1 status then I think that's where the problems start as I don't think he has a complete enough all round package to be our long term number one.

On 02/03/2021 at 11:51, dansubrosa said:

I wonder how much we’d pay for a 22 year old English striker who scored 15 goals.

Calvert Lewin, Darren Bent, Jermaine Defoe, Danny Ings and Danny Welbeck are examples of the top of my head of English strikers with a similar number of goals at that age and I can't recall any links to us nor any eagerness from the fans to sign them.

So if they're anything to go by, the answer to your question is, we wouldn't!

Edited by Argo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Argo said:

Yep and when it came to the crunch Lampard panicked and reverted to a player he ignored for half a season.

I like Tammy as a rotation/horses for courses option and if he's willing to play thay role going forward ideal, but if he's demanding undisputed number 1 status then I think that's where the problems start as I don't think he has a complete enough all round package to be our long term number one.

Calvert Lewin, Darren Bent, Jermaine Defoe, Danny Ings and Danny Welbeck are examples of the top of my head of English strikers with a similar number of goals at that age and I can't recall any links to us nor any eagerness from the fans to sign them.

So if they're anything to go by, the answer to your question is, we wouldn't!

Yeah, they're all good examples. So many English players become the "flavour of the month" and there is clamour for them to be in the England squad. They get to play for England, do okay but then someone better comes along and they slip back down the pecking order. Look at Patrick Bamford. Has scored goals wherever he's gone but never quite looked CFC standard. Even now, folk say is he good enough for PL, and he goes games without scoring but he's doing okay at Leeds and then some say put him in the England squad. 

Sturridge was another and I was gutted he didn't get a proper chance. Very good on his day but a clear fitness and attitude problem.

I was always surprised we didn't nick Defoe. By far the best out and out finisher of all those and when we had very little in the way of strikers for a period, he would have been a handy option and almost guarantees goals. I'd have taken a Defoe in his prime over any of our current strikers.

Edited by Nibs
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nibs said:

Yeah, they're all good examples. So many English players become the "flavour of the month" and there is clamour for them to be in the England squad. They get to play for England, do okay but then someone better comes along and they slip back down the pecking order. Look at Patrick Bamford. Has scored goals wherever he's gone but never quite looked CFC standard. Even now, folk say is he good enough for PL, and he goes games without scoring but he's doing okay at Leeds and then some say put him in the England squad. 

Sturridge was another and I was gutted he didn't get a proper chance. Very good on his day but a clear fitness and attitude problem.

I was always surprised we didn't nick Defoe. By far the best out and out finisher of all those and when we had very little in the way of strikers for a period, he would have been a handy option and almost guarantees goals. I'd have taken a Defoe in his prime over any of our current strikers.

Defoe was a decent #2 but he would never get you the big numbers 20+ goals, he was a 10-12 goals a season, i think Tammy will be a similar player come the end of his career, regular scorer but never the big numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/03/2021 at 10:56, Sindre said:

He was underwhelming last season too. Had that purple patch at the start but otherwise struggled for the rest of it.

And to be honest, I don't think he'd start for those two teams you mentioned either. If we forgot all about Tammy being from the academy I think very, very few would consider him good enough.

 

 

 

 

He did better last season than he has this season in terms of goals scored.That's the point I was making.

There's a list of young players that have been on the books at Chelsea in one way or another in the past that have gone on to be very successful at other clubs.That's the only concern I have if we let go of Tammy.

Either way I suspect he will leave sooner or later if the rumours of Haaland coming are true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a fan of Tammy. Last season he was injured and that knocked his form. For me his other problem is his wor rate. Pretty much useless at pressing and even when we have the ball doesn’t work hard enough making runs. I know Serie A isn’t the same standard but Lukaku works reall hard at Inter, long runs to each corner, holds the ball up, creates chances and finishes some. Not saying lukaku is the answer just point to how hard top forwards work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with people who are saying he's not an elite level striker. Coco said it perfect, he's like a Defoe level striker, very very good but not quite good enough to be a regular for a title challenging team.

I still want to keep him though, a very good squad player. It looks like he wants regular football though so what can we do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have compared him to Defoe, Defoe was a lethal finisher yet agree Defoe didn't gel as a lone striker and Tammy often plays that role.

Crouch might be a better comparison as at least they have similar builds and also play striker.

Crouch was far superior in the air, as good as Tammy with his feet yet did not play a closing down game if I recall and normally played in a front two.

I think it is difficult to compare Tammy, he was good last season as a new striker for about half the season.

This season don't think he has had that run due to competition and also not being clinical enough in certain games.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tammy Is a fox in the box player, play to those strengths and he'll score bag fulls, as he'll do when played regularly up and down the division. Enjoy him while he is still in blue lads, its back to the old pros and experience under tuchel so he'll be out of the door with others from the all conquering youth team come the summer.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's being reported that he's still suffering from the ankle injury.

Apparently posted this online yesterday as well (if it means anything at all), so we may see him back in the squad for the Leeds game:

0_TammyPNGAbraham-ha.png

Would seem silly to so ostentatiously keep him out of the squad otherwise, particularly when we've seen people like Emerson (when we already have Chilwell) and Caballero (when we already have Kepa) making the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!