Jump to content

Tammy Abraham


Recommended Posts

Tammy is not the perfect striker but it is hard to understand why he isn't playing more regularly at the moment when Werner consistently disappoints. The way Werner continually starts despite his failings reminds me of our desperation to get Torres scoring. If Tammy had been given as many starts recently as Werner I am sure he would have returned some goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think it depends how you interpret the stats, if you interpret the stat to make a point that Tammy is as good as Haaland then clearly that is incorrect as anyone who understands football will know that Haaland is levels above Tammy. If you look at those stats and make a case that he should be starting more games for us as he clearly is a goal scorer then those stats help make your case considering at the moment we are struggling for goals.

The problem is, as shown in his output this season (see my earlier post), he isn't regularly scoring or creating important goals this year.

So to play him, you need to drop someone who has had more impact. For all of Timos problems, it is undeniable that he has been involved in (scored, assisted or won penalties for) a lot more goals than Tammy this year. 

I will say that arguably Tammy deserves a chance up front more than say, the Havartz experiment, but it is understandable why we have tried that. But for the time being Tammy needs to continue working hard, developing, ironing out the flaws in his game - and when the opportunity comes, which it will, he needs to grasp it by scoring or creating goals that matter and win us games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, forbzy said:

Tammy is not the perfect striker but it is hard to understand why he isn't playing more regularly at the moment when Werner consistently disappoints. The way Werner continually starts despite his failings reminds me of our desperation to get Torres scoring. If Tammy had been given as many starts recently as Werner I am sure he would have returned some goals.

Because Werner has been involved in (scored, assisted or won pens for) significantly more goals that Tammy the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Because Werner has been involved in (scored, assisted or won pens for) significantly more goals that Tammy the season. 

Has he though? I am specifically focusing the last few months and not earlier in the season when he was contributing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

The problem is, as shown in his output this season (see my earlier post), he isn't regularly scoring or creating important goals this year.

So to play him, you need to drop someone who has had more impact. For all of Timos problems, it is undeniable that he has been involved in (scored, assisted or won penalties for) a lot more goals than Tammy this year. 

I will say that arguably Tammy deserves a chance up front more than say, the Havartz experiment, but it is understandable why we have tried that. But for the time being Tammy needs to continue working hard, developing, ironing out the flaws in his game - and when the opportunity comes, which it will, he needs to grasp it by scoring or creating goals that matter and win us games.

But he has played a total of 200 minutes ever since Tuchel has come in, time which includes 90 against Barnsley where in my opinion he was MOTM. He has been taken off after 45 on 2 occassions (Southampton & Burnley), in both of those occasions his performances were not as bad for example as Jorginho against WBA and Ziyech against Man U & Barnsley yet he was substituted.

I understand the argument of continuing to work hard and taking your chances but from a confidence, match fitness and sharpness perspective getting limited minutes cannot be helping. No one is saying he should be an automatic starter but I will reiterate this point strongly; for a team struggling for goals he should be getting more minutes then he has seen of late.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Has he though? I am specifically focusing the last few months and not earlier in the season when he was contributing more.

Since Feb, Werner has 5 assists, which include assists for game winning goals against Spurs, Athletico 2x Sheffield Utd) and 1 goal (Newcastle).

In that same time Abraham only played 65 mins, so unfair to compare over that short period, hence the need to look at longer term bigger picture. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Section of the fans are being too harsh on him because he is homegrown & we never bought him for big money. Gabriel Jesus is a few months older, has been in the league for close to 5 season and you won’t see Pep discarding him. Like someone argued he is years away from his peak, and I haven’t heard him demand to be 1st choice, just give him some chances which Tuchel isn’t.

As for the calibre of teams linked with him, who could have predicted Jota would end up at Liverpool? Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at either Dortmund as replacement for Halaand or Inter for Lukaku.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

But he has played a total of 200 minutes ever since Tuchel has come in, time which includes 90 against Barnsley where in my opinion he was MOTM. He has been taken off after 45 on 2 occassions (Southampton & Burnley), in both of those occasions his performances were not as bad for example as Jorginho against WBA and Ziyech against Man U & Barnsley yet he was substituted.

I understand the argument of continuing to work hard and taking your chances but from a confidence, match fitness and sharpness perspective getting limited minutes cannot be helping. No one is saying he should be an automatic starter but I will reiterate this point strongly; for a team struggling for goals he should be getting more minutes then he has seen of late.  

1) You say more minutes than he has seen of late, but it is important to note that he has been injured of late.

2) Prior to his injury, Tammy featured in 4 of Tuchels first 6 premier league games (failing to take the opportunity of whatever minutes he got as he failed to get a goal or assist). In addition he played the full 90 in the cup against Barnsley, where he scored the winner.

3)  He was out injured from our game on the 28th Feb against Man Utd. In that time he missed 5 premier league games, 1 FA cup game and 3 Champions league games. 

4) Although he may now be fit (or at least getting back to match fitness), I understand why he hasn't been put straight back into the team - and maintain that he needs to continue to work hard, keep his head down and take his chance as/when he gets them. If he does that and takes his chance, he will play. If he doesn't, then he won't get game time. Simple as.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was injured and not fully recovered yet? I think someone said that when he did not feature in the team sheet last weekend. If that is the case, explains why Tuchel has not been calling him until yesterday, when he was on the bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Section of the fans are being too harsh on him because he is homegrown & we never bought him for big money. Gabriel Jesus is a few months older, has been in the league for close to 5 season and you won’t see Pep discarding him. Like someone argued he is years away from his peak, and I haven’t heard him demand to be 1st choice, just give him some chances which Tuchel isn’t.

As for the calibre of teams linked with him, who could have predicted Jota would end up at Liverpool? Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at either Dortmund as replacement for Halaand or Inter for Lukaku.

Tuchel has been in charge for 16 games, of which Tammy was injured for 6 (possibly 7 of those games if we include WBA last weekend - but for there sake of argument, lets say he was fit and available for that game)

Out of the remaining 10 games, Tammy got minutes in 50% of those games. Scoring one goal against Barnsley (0 assists). 

By comparison, Giroud was available for all 16 games, and featured in 7 of them, scoring 2 goals (0 assists) in the process. Percentage wise, he played less of the games (47%) he was available for than Tammy. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RMH said:

I thought he was injured and not fully recovered yet? I think someone said that when he did not feature in the team sheet last weekend. If that is the case, explains why Tuchel has not been calling him until yesterday, when he was on the bench.

Don't let a reasonable reason get in the way of a good conspiracy!

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

1) You say more minutes than he has seen of late, but it is important to note that he has been injured of late.

2) Prior to his injury, Tammy featured in 4 of Tuchels first 6 premier league games (failing to take the opportunity of whatever minutes he got as he failed to get a goal or assist). In addition he played the full 90 in the cup against Barnsley, where he scored the winner.

3)  He was out injured from our game on the 28th Feb against Man Utd. In that time he missed 5 premier league games, 1 FA cup game and 3 Champions league games. 

4) Although he may now be fit (or at least getting back to match fitness), I understand why he hasn't been put straight back into the team - and maintain that he needs to continue to work hard, keep his head down and take his chance as/when he gets them. If he does that and takes his chance, he will play. If he doesn't, then he won't get game time. Simple as.

With the exception of Barnsley in any of the other appearances he didn't feature for more then 45 minutes.

I think he needs a run of games, I think him not even being part of the match day squad for WBA has left a number of fans somewhat frustrated with the limited opportunities he is getting especially considering his contract situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RMH said:

I thought he was injured and not fully recovered yet? I think someone said that when he did not feature in the team sheet last weekend. If that is the case, explains why Tuchel has not been calling him until yesterday, when he was on the bench.

 

2 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Don't let a reasonable reason get in the way of a good conspiracy!

After WBA game Tuchel stated he was fit but he had limited space in the match day squad to include him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

With the exception of Barnsley in any of the other appearances he didn't feature for more then 45 minutes.

I think he needs a run of games, I think him not even being part of the match day squad for WBA has left a number of fans somewhat frustrated with the limited opportunities he is getting especially considering his contract situation.

He has done very little this season to justify getting a run of games. He has done even less in the game time he got under Tuchel to justify it.

This is a chicken and egg situation.  In order to get a run of games at a top club like Chelsea, a player need to be playing and delivering (no freebies here), but how can he do that if he never plays. 

Now that his injury has cleared up, and he is working his way back to match fitness, I fully expect him to be given chances. The big question then becomes, will he take them? So far this season, he hasn't. Lets hope that changes as/when he gets a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

 

After WBA game Tuchel stated he was fit but he had limited space in the match day squad to include him.

Ah, ok, I had missed that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

He has done very little this season to justify getting a run of games. He has done even less in the game time he got under Tuchel to justify it.

This is a chicken and egg situation.  In order to get a run of games at a top club like Chelsea, a player need to be playing and delivering (no freebies here), but how can he do that if he never plays. 

Now that his injury has cleared up, and he is working his way back to match fitness, I fully expect him to be given chances. The big question then becomes, will he take them? So far this season, he hasn't. Lets hope that changes as/when he gets a chance.

If the front line was on fire and banging the goals in I would agree that their is no way Tammy gets into the team and will need to make the most of his limited time on the pitch and look to make some impact. Unfortunately with the exception of Mount none of the other attacking players have been able to nail down a spot which is the reason I believe it is worth giving Tammy a run of games whether that means him starting games or even regularly coming on for the last 20 to 30 minutes.

Chelsea need to be careful with the Tammy situation because the likelihood is that Giroud will be leaving at the end of the season and if Tammy refuses to sign due to lack of minutes or him not being convinced that he is part of Tuchels plans then the board may be forced to sell him. It wont be the end of the world if we manage to sign Haaland or Aguero but the chances of that happening are slim and without a genuine CF going into next season or someone who is on the level of Tammy but who will require a season to settle will result in more disruption in the frontline.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Imran_CFC said:

If the front line was on fire and banging the goals in I would agree that their is no way Tammy gets into the team and will need to make the most of his limited time on the pitch and look to make some impact. Unfortunately with the exception of Mount none of the other attacking players have been able to nail down a spot which is the reason I believe it is worth giving Tammy a run of games whether that means him starting games or even regularly coming on for the last 20 to 30 minutes.

Chelsea need to be careful with the Tammy situation because the likelihood is that Giroud will be leaving at the end of the season and if Tammy refuses to sign due to lack of minutes or him not being convinced that he is part of Tuchels plans then the board may be forced to sell him. It wont be the end of the world if we manage to sign Haaland or Aguero but the chances of that happening are slim and without a genuine CF going into next season or someone who is on the level of Tammy but who will require a season to settle will result in more disruption in the frontline.  

If Tammy chooses not to sign an extension, then that is his prerogative. He should get games on merit, not due to his contract. It is up to him to make himself part of Tuchels plans (like Cesc did under Conte). Now Tammy is getting back to fitness, it is up to him to work hard in training, and take his chances when he gets them. It shouldn't happen for free.

Whatever happens, we certainly won't be going into next season with only Werner up front.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

If Tammy chooses not to sign an extension, then that is his prerogative. He should get games on merit, not due to his contract. It is up to him to make himself part of Tuchels plans (like Cesc did under Conte). Now Tammy is getting back to fitness, it is up to him to work hard in training, and take his chances when he gets them. It shouldn't happen for free.

Whatever happens, we certainly won't be going into next season with only Werner up front.

But the thing is we have a number of players who are getting minutes based upon reputation and the fee we've paid for them rather then merit, being forced to sell Tammy because he wasn't given sufficient time on the pitch to build a rapport with a fairly new squad would be a tragedy. I hope Tuchel is having reassuring conversations with Tammy stating he will get minutes and that he is part of his plans because due to injury and fixture congestion he may not have been able to spend much time with Tammy.

We need to remember Tammy is incredibly young and in the case of Fabregas it was a prime Fabregas who had spent 3 seasons playing with the likes of Costa, Hazard and Willian who had an exceptional understanding and chemistry with Fabregas.

I think at this point we are just going round in circles, my view he needs more consistent minutes to build match sharpness to have an impact & your view he was getting sufficient minutes before injury and after injury he will continue to do so and he needs to have an impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coco said:

To hasten a resolve to the problem we have up front, either make him or break him, i believe he will succeed if Tommy keeps persevering with him.

As a matter of interest, how long would you give him to make or break ? 

One of the interesting things I find about Werner is that, although he isn’t scoring goals, his threat and movement in and around the last 1/3rd of the pitch worries opposition defenders and gives them problems, whereas Tammy is fairly predictable and easy to read - let’s be honest, for a big guy, he’s no real threat in the air, he doesn’t really do holdup centre forward play very well and he goes to ground/falls over way too easily. I think average rated defenders find him easy to play.

He seems a really decent bloke, maybe that’s his problem, maybe he needs to develop that c**t of a player that Costa was/is or maybe he is just out of his depth ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

As a matter of interest, how long would you give him to make or break ? 

I think he will make it by the end of the season, we'll get top 4 and who knows what else ? the season will be a success and the weight will be lifted from his shoulders for next season when we push city for the top spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, coco said:

I think he will make it by the end of the season, we'll get top 4 and who knows what else ? the season will be a success and the weight will be lifted from his shoulders for next season when we push city for the top spot.

Wow, sorted then :good2:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk of him being involved ina swap deal for Rice. Not sure how i feel about that. 

I like Rice, and if we also get haaland or lukaku, then i suppose the squad will be better off, however its hard to see an academy player sold. 

Now Abraham is fit, he needs to make an impact when he next gets an opportunity. I know there will be comments like 'well what impact does Werner have', but at end of the day Abraham only played 3 out of Lampards last 9 games, he has only played 3 or 4 times under Tuchel, although he has missed out mostly through injury, and from a purely cynical point of view, If neither Abraham or Tammy are playing particularly well, Werner will get the nod because he of his reputation, and because the club have invested alot in him for the next 5 years, compared to Tammy who has 18 months left on current deal.

Hopefully see him start against palace, as he will be fresh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

 

So to play him, you need to drop someone who has had more impact. For all of Timos problems, it is undeniable that he has been involved in (scored, assisted or won penalties for) a lot more goals than Tammy this year. 

 

Timo werner has played the most minute among our attacker by far while playing as number getternyet his number is very2 pedestrian, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So listening to TT in todays conference it seems to me as if Tammy won't see any game time for the rest of the season barring a complete catastrophe. Yet we have to put up with Werner, Havertz and Ziyech stinking the joint out. Tammy has any sense he'd be looking for a new club in the summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!