osgood57

Emanalo The Problem

Well, you say this, but you also credit Emenalo for near enough everything positive that happened in the club. How can we criticise people for criticising Emenalo on the technicality of "We don't what happens behind the scenes" while praising him for anything positive that happened? It works both ways. 
What's to say Wilkins was worse than Emenalo? I actually remember when Wilkins left we couldn't stop losing games for quite some time, we lost 3-0 to Sunderland at the Bridge. 
I did? Where? I have no idea about his role or input. He himself was proud of academy and progression in general. I said he got us Eden but in reality I have no idea how the dealings happen. But neither do you.

The fact that Emenalo was in the club for 10 years which was the clubs most successful period and ge got along well with Roman tells you a lot. Ray Wilkins didn't really last that long in his position. Not bashing Ray here but that is the fact.

If Emenalo was responsible for our summer dealings he didn't do very well. Maybe this is why he decided to leave, who knows.

42 minutes ago, evissy said:

I did? Where? I have no idea about his role or input. He himself was proud of academy and progression in general. I said he got us Eden but in reality I have no idea how the dealings happen. But neither do you.

The fact that Emenalo was in the club for 10 years which was the clubs most successful period and ge got along well with Roman tells you a lot. Ray Wilkins didn't really last that long in his position. Not bashing Ray here but that is the fact.

If Emenalo was responsible for our summer dealings he didn't do very well. Maybe this is why he decided to leave, who knows.

Just to pick up on "he signed Eden". 

That was 5 years' ago. 

There has been a failing by the board in the past 5 years' to get Chelsea to a point where we can sign world class players (and bear in mind, Hazard was just a world class youth player when we signed him). Whether that is a deliberate mistake as we don't want to spend the money. Or whether that is a failure of the club to elevate us to a higher level, I don't know. 

We are elite in terms of trophies won. We are competitive in terms of revenues, we have one of the biggest fan bases in England now (Arsenal and Tottenham can't sell 30,000 to a league cup game, we can sell 40,000). But it has been 5 years' since we signed a truly world class player and if you were to rank the best Chelsea XI of the past 20 years, only Hazard would get in the team. (Maybe Kante, but he wasn't recognised as the player he is today when we signed him).

I can't blame Emenalo for that as I don't know all the facts, but that isn't a fault of the manager. That is a board issue. 

Edited by benjsross

We will never know how good or bad he actually was, how involved he was with various moves made both regarding new managers and players. You can't bag him for transfer dealings and at the same time not give him credit for others. The issue is we honestly don't know the truth.

Rumor has it the in the summer Emanalo wanted Lukaku and Conte wanted Morata. If he was responsible for Hazard, Cahill, Kante, Willian and DAVE!! well done, but it's kind of obvisue that was was responsible for Dilabojy dogy, Hector? Baba Rahamman, and a few others that clearly were not on any of the managers shortlists. 2015 transfers where actually a bit of a Joke. Also I don't care what happened sunday selling Matic was a massive mistake. 

20 minutes ago, benjsross said:

Just to pick up on "he signed Eden". 

That was 5 years' ago. 

There has been a failing by the board in the past 5 years' to get Chelsea to a point where we can sign world class players (and bear in mind, Hazard was just a world class youth player when we signed him). Whether that is a deliberate mistake as we don't want to spend the money. Or whether that is a failure of the club to elevate us to a higher level, I don't know. 

We are elite in terms of trophies won. We are competitive in terms of revenues, we have one of the biggest fan bases in England now (Arsenal and Tottenham can't sell 30,000 to a league cup game, we can sell 40,000). But it has been 5 years' since we signed a truly world class player and if you were to rank the best Chelsea XI of the past 20 years, only Hazard would get in the team. (Maybe Kante, but he wasn't recognised as the player he is today when we signed him).

I can't blame Emenalo for that as I don't know all the facts, but that isn't a fault of the manager. That is a board issue. 

Honestly not all that bothered about the "world class" label, that hasn't really worked out so well, i.e. Sheva, Torres... 

What has been successful is the ability to get the hot prospects, Essien, Drogba, Joe Cole, Hazard, Kante, Now Morata... those that are pretty obvious about to make the step up and just need the platform, either the club or the regular games. Hopefully Baka can step in to the bracket as well.

Money isn't infinite, not even at Chelsea....

We can make all kinds of conspiratorial aspersions as to what Emanelo did or didn't do right and whatever strings people might think he pulled in whatever direction.

But unless you have inside information (in which case go ahead and share), we can only really judge him by his transfer record given the resources available.

I've made a long post in the past looking at every single one of our major (first team) purchases and sales. Look for it if you can be bothered.

When I did this I found in general our transfer activity has been pretty good. Not excellent, not poor, but definitely above average. At the time of my post, some people disagreed with my assertion that Emanelo was doing an above job for all sorts of whacky, unjustified reasons. But hardly anyone disagreed with my ratings of our transfers that put together presented a picture of an above average job being done.

Note: when I say above average, i mean compared to others at a similar level in his field.

6 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

No it wasn't Matic was terribly inconsistent for the majority of his time at Chelsea. 

Was a major player in winning two titles. Massively underated and if you think he's Inconsistent then you have never watched him live because the TV cams don't do his performance justice. You get no TV credit for standing in the right place yet it's such a big part of the game 

Don't really care what he did or who he signed. Fact is we were very successful during his 10 years here and he, along with others on the board, deserve credit and praise for that.

I'll trust Roman's judgement on how to run a club over most and from all accounts Roman thought very highly of him. Wish him all the best, would be nice to see Emanalo get back into coaching or even management one day.

22 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Don't really care what he did or who he signed. Fact is we were very successful during his 10 years here and he, along with others on the board, deserve credit and praise for that.

I'll trust Roman's judgement on how to run a club over most and from all accounts Roman thought very highly of him. Wish him all the best, would be nice to see Emanalo get back into coaching or even management one day.

I understand there are a number of U 15 girls teams trying to make contact with him as we speak....................

Who said Christmas can't come twice? We beat United, then the 'most hated man' in the club has gone the next day. In all seriousness, he's not that bad. During his time, we won 3 league titles, the CL, Europa, FA cup.. We started to make surplus in the transfer market, and got good players in the process. Sure, we missed out some, but which club could have signed everyone they targeted? He certainly didn't ruin the club as some wrongfully put it, are we not a better club than 10 years ago? Surely he deserved some credit. Not sure why he left, don't really care, let's hope we get a Hiddink or Pirlo next up.

I don't understand why the media made out this was a move to get sacked, didn't they say Emanalo was the one tried to get Conte sacked in the first time? Tough time for CFC indeed:Troll_Face:

I think Matic - talk is really old. It is something pundits cling on due to lack of interest in Chelsea.

Matic did good. He was one of our best players but at times he was a massive passenger and lacked any kind of leadership.

I think Matic wanted to go and the club let him which is modern way of thinking in the sport. We did brilliantly with Cech who wanted to stay in London but was stuck behind Tibo. I think we showed personality and cojones with that move. Other clubs will follow our example as we wont hold players for ransom. It is 2017.

To cling on to something old that is not working is stupid imo.

1 hour ago, evissy said:

I think Matic - talk is really old. It is something pundits cling on due to lack of interest in Chelsea.

Matic did good. He was one of our best players but at times he was a massive passenger and lacked any kind of leadership.

I think Matic wanted to go and the club let him which is modern way of thinking in the sport. We did brilliantly with Cech who wanted to stay in London but was stuck behind Tibo. I think we showed personality and cojones with that move. Other clubs will follow our example as we wont hold players for ransom. It is 2017.

To cling on to something old that is not working is stupid imo.

My L'arse mates strongly agree with you. Bless them.

4 hours ago, barak81 said:

Was a major player in winning two titles. Massively underated and if you think he's Inconsistent then you have never watched him live because the TV cams don't do his performance justice. You get no TV credit for standing in the right place yet it's such a big part of the game 

I can't subscribe to that. After his performance in the F.A Cup final, I never wanted to see him play again. Out of all the great performances last season, he was the weak link, sloppy, slow, rigid, covered well, physical presence, that was it, he had legs on Fabregas. Do you really think Conte was desperate to keep him? 

At a time I thought he was amazing, but that time came and passed when he failed to return to his form of 2014.

If you watch Emenalo's interview (on the official webpage) you see how proud he is of our loan system. Seems that Chelsea and especially Emenalo really love the system but everyone else thinks it is toxic. I bet other big clubs will copy it and it will be a norm in some extent.

Interesting to see wheter this is what continues after Emenalo.

18 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I used to sing the Wilkins song week after week at The Bridge. (Same as the Ossie song with Wilkins, not Osgood.) I was a fan.

As an observer of the game however, he is clueless. He talks in cliches and his comments often seem entirely divorced from what he's commenting on. Everything he says in that interview is Jurasic nonsense. As for Townsend agreeing with him about Matic!!

I felt the same even when he was an assistant manager whenever he done post match interviews for Carlo. I could only imagine Conte or Jose trying to work with him.

6 hours ago, evissy said:

If you watch Emenalo's interview (on the official webpage) you see how proud he is of our loan system. Seems that Chelsea and especially Emenalo really love the system but everyone else thinks it is toxic. I bet other big clubs will copy it and it will be a norm in some extent.

Interesting to see wheter this is what continues after Emenalo.

One thing I can certainly agree with you on, the loan system has worked. And you're probably right, a lot of clubs will copy it. 

The only thing that shocked me is how RLC wasn't loaned out earlier. 

You guys seen this? https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/11/7/16617832/chelsea-fc-michael-emenalo-marina-granovskaia-everton-ross-barkley-antonio-conte-rumour-report

Don't know how true it is, but if it indeed is true, I honestly don't know what to make of it. It would be a good thing if it means Conte gets more say in transfer dealings. Otherwise, it would be absolutely bizarre, as I would have thought the position would have gone to someone with a football/coaching background. 

Interesting times ahead. 

Now it`s time Abramovic to change and Granovskaia and all will be okay. There have to be consequences for the summer transfer windows. I do even think Marina is a lot more guilty then Emanalo. Cause it`s her job to bring the player Conte/Emanalo want. And buying in the last moment is her speciality. She need to go too.

3 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Emanalo transformed the academy and did an excellent job on sourcing the current generation of players. I wish him well.

Neil Bath transformed the academy, not Emenalo.

Edited by DidierDidier