Andreas Christensen

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Some people (not on here) keep saying that Chelsea won't give young players a chance and that Callum Hudson-Odoi could be the first from the academy to break through since John Terry.......they forget about Christensen though.

Usually make up some excuse. "They signed him as a 16 year old". Meanwhile Pogba is credited to united who signed him at the age of.... 16

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Some people (not on here) keep saying that Chelsea won't give young players a chance and that Callum Hudson-Odoi could be the first from the academy to break through since John Terry.......they forget about Christensen though.

And Bertrand.

9 minutes ago, Argo said:

And Bertrand.

Bertrand might have gotten a very surprising start in a CL final, but he was never a regular for the first team.... and I think that's what people mean by break through, at least it's what I mean by that.

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

To be fair he only somewhat became a regular last season when he made 27 BPL apps, only one other BPL app prior to that.   If he plays regular this season then 100%, 1st since JT to break through. If he ends up on loan or riding the bench some how (say they bring in yet another CB) then I'll be quite unhappy and still consider it no one since JT.

I will also point out that if Christensen becomes the first since JT, he will follow my theory that pretty much any success we have had with loans is when they are structured over multiple years at one club so they have an incentive to actually help develop the player instead of using them as a stop gap for when their own players are injured etc.  I think he has the ability and we just need to allow him to get there (aka accept a few mistakes while he improves/learns)

4 hours ago, Stim said:

Usually make up some excuse. "They signed him as a 16 year old". Meanwhile Pogba is credited to united who signed him at the age of.... 16

Ummm, Juventus can get the credit in my mind because with them he went from player not wanted at MUFC to the 100million pound man wanted by MUFC..... and look, back at MUFC he's a 100million pence man, and yet the WC seemingly has revived his value again,.

35 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

Bertrand might have gotten a very surprising start in a CL final, but he was never a regular for the first team.... and I think that's what people mean by break through, at least it's what I mean by that.

He was in the squad for three years, made 57 appearances and won 3 trophy's, for me thats breaking through no matter what way it's spun.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

He was in the squad for three years, made 57 appearances and won 3 trophy's, for me thats breaking through no matter what way it's spun.

He averaged 7 BPL starts a season over those 3 years.

Heonly hit double digit starts in one season..... and the trophies won while he was mainly on the bench really don't factor in my view. 

I think it's spinning it to portray that as breaking into the first team as a regular but I imagine we're just going to have to accept we disagree on this.

On 03/08/2018 at 20:29, Argo said:

He was in the squad for three years, made 57 appearances and won 3 trophy's, for me that's breaking through no matter what way it's spun.

2010 1 sub appearance

2011 13 starts ; 2 sub appearances

2012 26 starts ; 12 sub appearances ; 2 goals

2013 : 3 starts, plus loaned to Villa

2014 : Sold to Southampton

Basically doing fine under AVB, RDM and FSW, especially when you consider we still had Ashley Cole at that point, but Mourinho didn't fancy him, and he got loaned, and then sold.  Don't think we have subsequently signed any left backs who are any better than Ryan. Felipe Luis probably was, but Jose hardly ever played him so hard to judge LOL. Certainly don't think of Rahman, Alonso or Palmieri as any tangible upgrade ...

3 hours ago, Tom_cfc said:

With Christensen not starting on the weekend and Luiz favoured. Anybody think this may be the favoured permanent choice.

i think from last seasons performance and the World Cup he would be my first choice

If he's not going to be first choices and regresses this season, then I can see him moving on next year.  Its not looking good for him if the manager rates him below the likes of Luiz, who's one of our weakest links. He cannot afford to hang around as a fringe player at his age.

It's still too early to tell. Christiensen arrived back late, so he's fallen behind David Luiz in the pecking order. 

David Luiz on paper is the sort of defender that a manager like sarri would love, the trouble is though, he isn't a very good defender, he makes a lot of mistakes, especially in a back 4. So I'm expecting there will be a point in the season where christiensen gets the nod, and if he does well, he will be back in the team.

12 minutes ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Not sure I agree with you on that. Christiansen had a few howlers last season and they seemed to affect him. Luiz on the other hand breezes on regardless!

But that was one period. Nobody knows because it’s the first time it’s happened. He could get back in the squad and be fine. He could go straight back to cock-ups. I’m sure having a decent midfield in front of him now can help too. 

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

If David does a Luiz once too often Christensen will get his chance, he just has to impress when the time comes. 

Saying that when he does have his head in the game, he has pulled out some good performances and in other occasions he made a few errors that have cost us hugely.

in my opinion if your looking for consistency out the two I’d stick with Christensen