T-val

Andreas Christensen

He has all of the qualities needed to be a good a defender apart from one crucial area, his strength. He will never be good enough for this league if he can't win aerial duels. It's absolutely vital that you have that in this league. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

He has all of the qualities needed to be a good a defender apart from one crucial area, his strength. He will never be good enough for this league if he can't win aerial duels. It's absolutely vital that you have that in this league. 

Does he?.

23 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Does he?.

Needs to hit the gym. Strikers in the Prem are normally basterds that go around pushing and shoving defenders. If he doesn't develop that side of the game then he should go to the Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A.

Just doesn't cut it for me.  Promised a lot 3 years ago (I recall his start against Spurs at Wembley), but hasn't progressed.

Limited in the air, rarely wins a duel, and shrinks into his shell as games go on.  We need vocal leaders; for me Christensen is too passive as a footballer.  Doesn't add any goals either, which is always helpful from a CB.  Squad player at best, wouldn't miss him if he left.

feel for him.. he is still young.. the problem is he seems to not have improved in his general play.. he is positionally very good.. but always plays the safe option for a ball playing CB.. he is actually a good height but just doesnt have the strength and got bullied by DLC who is actually of the same height... but is no drogba..

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I think you're overrating him quite a bit. The 'physically weak' part is well-known by now, but he contributes very little in general. He cannot distribute the ball effectively from the back, like Luiz did and presents zero danger at the other end. When we have a corner or a set piece around the opposition's goal he may as well stay in our own half, because he's quite useless in attacking crosses and yet to score a single goal in his Chelsea career.

He's just not good enough and never was.

Edited by abramovich

31 minutes ago, Remodez said:

I said Ake was better than Zouma and Christensen years ago and no one believed me!  

I don't think Ake is that good either though. He's been at Bournemouth for a while now and they always have one of the worst defensive records. I don't think Ake would stop us leaking goals.

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

It's not just about strength, it's also about physical bravery. He's never had it. He's a bit of a weakling. Gets bullied in the air every single game. Doesn't impose himself, he's not assertive enough. He simply will never be a top centre-half.

I've never realized this but it is actually spot on.

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think Ake is that good either though. He's been at Bournemouth for a while now and they always have one of the worst defensive records. I don't think Ake would stop us leaking goals.

Agree. Ake is a decent player, but not exceptional in any way,he won't improve us defensively, that's for sure. We need world class players to upgrade our backline. Bringing back Ake doesn't solve anything in that respect.

Lets be honest, Christensen hasn't been that player since the Barcelona game when he gave away that dodgy pass that lead to an equaliser. Since then he's been underwhelming, like Davey says, it's personality and to quote Brendan Rodgers, character, he lacks it. He can't seem to recover that old form and consistency, I haven't been impressed with him since he came back vs Valencia, Tomori is much superior to him at the moment. 

Edited by Slojo

Well... an utterly catastrophic and incompetent performance on his part. On the ball, off the ball, physically, mentally... he was left completely wanting. To be perfectly honest this isn't the first game which has left me wondering... what exactly are this player's qualities?

If we are looking at a new centre back for the squad, we can safely say that we know which one should be replaced.

23 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Is he no longer first choice for them?

No I don't think so, I was under the impression Pique / Lenglet are first choice. What makes the rumour interesting is the possibility that Barca want Christensen?

https://www.football-espana.net/82021/barcelona-track-chelsea-defender-andreas-christensen

Edited by the special one