Andreas Christensen

Christensen never grew to be our next leader-type in the backline. That's also a fact. He is still very underwhelming and not good enough.

On multiple occasions Zouma stepped up, even Rudiger had 1 good season but Christensen? When was he actually good for us? 

35 minutes ago, Dean said:

You’re absolutely right. This is 100% THE main criterion on which Christensen should be judged. I mean why can’t people see this? I’m reminded of people‘s ridiculous insistence that Drogba be judged by the amount of goals he scored. But anyone who understands football should know that match-winning/saving tackles is the far more important criterion for a striker. And you know what - not once in all those years at Chelsea did Drogba make a match-saving tackle. Yes you heard me correctly! Not once! None! Zero! 0! Nil! And the guy was like 188 and built like a tank. I never rated him much for that reason.

Slightly off tangent here and tongue in cheek, but I can think of one DD tackle that saved a match - against Ribery,  v Bayern Munich , CL final , penalty .

Robben really didnt fancy it , I truly believe that the penalty save/miss broke them, I honestly believe that at that moment, they knew our name was on that cup and it f**king was - get in!!!

Back on point and extremely serious - you never rated DD ???

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Slightly off tangent here and tongue in cheek, but I can think of one DD tackle that saved a match - against Ribery,  v Bayern Munich , CL final , penalty .

Robben really didnt fancy it , I truly believe that the penalty save/miss broke them, I honestly believe that at that moment, they knew our name was on that cup and it f**king was - get in!!!

Back on point and extremely serious - you never rated DD ???

Sorry , I just re-read your post - are you really advocating that tackling, in what ever area of the game, is the most important criteria on which a striker should be judged ??? 

Edited by Paddy
52 minutes ago, Dean said:

. And you know what - not once in all those years at Chelsea did Drogba make a match-saving tackle. Yes you heard me correctly! Not once! None! Zero! 0! Nil! And the guy was like 188 and built like a tank. I never rated him much for that reason.

🙄 What the f**k is this about, this is a joke or sarcasm right? For a start he made load so defensive clearances from set pieces, at one point he was probably our best defender at them.

59 minutes ago, Dean said:

You’re absolutely right. This is 100% THE main criterion on which Christensen should be judged. I mean why can’t people see this? I’m reminded of people‘s ridiculous insistence that Drogba be judged by the amount of goals he scored. But anyone who understands football should know that match-winning/saving tackles is the far more important criterion for a striker. And you know what - not once in all those years at Chelsea did Drogba make a match-saving tackle. Yes you heard me correctly! Not once! None! Zero! 0! Nil! And the guy was like 188 and built like a tank. I never rated him much for that reason.

Right, and in terms of his save percentage he comes off even worse than Kepa. Sure, he did some things well, but he was a lightweight where it really mattered. 

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

🙄 What the f**k is this about, this is a joke or sarcasm right? For a start he made load so defensive clearances from set pieces, at one point he was probably our best defender at them.

When our opponents had a corner they always had to get it over Drogba first, literally like having a spare center back for dead ball.

37 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Christensen never grew to be our next leader-type in the backline. That's also a fact. He is still very underwhelming and not good enough.

On multiple occasions Zouma stepped up, even Rudiger had 1 good season but Christensen? When was he actually good for us? 

I'm sure if you look through this thread you will see games where he was actually good for us. 

My memory isn't good enough to list of games but he had good games last season.

1 minute ago, Remodez said:

I'm sure if you look through this thread you will see games where he was actually good for us. 

My memory isn't good enough to list of games but he had good games last season.

Last season was one of our worst seasons defensively, if not the worst. He wasn't really good many games in a row, at best he managed to put 2 good performances in a row. 

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

What the truth hurt your feelings or what? Are you softer than Christensen? Please feel free to oppose to what I said with arguments, your wit won't impress me much

1.88 CB, regular starter for 4 years - 0 goals. Zero. Facts. Softie

I don't judge a centre back on how many goals he scores, and neither does any sensible person who knows anything about football.  Sky Sports Europe watchers who get all their knowledge from translations of what Jamie Redknapp manages to read from an autocue might judge a defender like that, but no-one else does.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

I do think it's a joke in response to that silly Droppy's outrage that Christensen as a centre back never scored a goal  :smile: 

Edited by Valerie

Andreas Christensen is in the wrong league, if he played in Spain, Italy or Germany he would be rated incredibly highly. He plays well against teams who prefer playing through the defense and may be technically superior as opposed to more physical teams who tend to lump the ball forward to a marauding attacker who will look to wrestle the CB's, case in point is West Ham against us last season in comparison to City against us.

Antonio absolutely humiliated both our CB's (Rudiger and Christensen) and in my view single handedly dragged West Ham to a win, compare that with City who played with a false 9 and Christensen read the game well and positionally looked elite considering the fluid and dynamic nature of their front line.

Not suggesting Christensen isn't blameless or doesn't suffer from inconsistency, silly mistakes. He showed what he can do against Man City in July but think the west ham game came soon after to undo all the positive vibes. I was very frustrated against Liverpool last month when he played really well for 44 minutes and then just fell asleep to not only let Mane get away, but did a ridiculous rugby tackle to get sent off.

I do find though he gets blamed even when he's not been at fault. Take the Southampton game for example...Zouma fcuked up for all three goals - slow to react to havertz losing the ball and caught in totally wrong body position, bad back pass and then did criminal thing of not even bothering to sprint back to try and rescue situation, then weak header from the set piece straight to walcott...yet christensen's name was still being dragged into it. 

15 hours ago, Slojo said:

f**king hell, if only you could apply this to Jorginho. 

I don’t think I said anything about Jorginho at the weekend? Just because I’m not a fan of his overall game, doesn’t mean I can’t see when he plays well. I actually thought he played well at the weekend and got a top quality assist, he’s been playing well since he was out back in to the team - in my opinion. 

Actually if you could point me to the last time I criticised him before the last time we had this conversation that would be great? You’re obsessed with me not rating him. Why does it upset you so much?

Edited by EdinburghBlue
4 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don’t think I said anything about Jorginho at the weekend? Just because I’m not a fan of his overall game, doesn’t mean I can’t see when he plays well. I actually thought he played well at the weekend and got a top quality assist, he’s been playing well since he was out back in to the team - in my opinion. 

I'm not saying you did this weekend but that seems to be the argument with Jorginho on this forum, if we lose a game he's always the scapegoat despite him making 0 mistakes, and I've seen you on that end. 

Even though I fully agree with what you said on that post, I just wish you would apply it towards other players. 

6 hours ago, Gol15 said:

He had a good period when he first broke through under Conte, for months he actually looked solid and I remember thinking we've got a great player here. 

It was ever since he made that f**k up against Barcelona he wasn't the same, completely dented his confidence or something. But after that mistake he kept making more and that was that, we never saw that old Christensen. 

2 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Was that Man City game the one where they played Bernardo Silva as a false nine?

To quote whatever pundit it was - Andreas Christensen could be the best centre back in the world if he never actually has to come up against a genuine centre forward.

I know what you’re getting at Because he didn’t face a physical forward but a bit simplistic to dismiss his performance because of the tactics city used. It was still Man City after all.

I cant actually remember the last bad game he had. Even in that liverpool game, i thought he was very very good before he bear hugged mane to the floor. Im not sure why he gets the amount of hate he does on here. Our other defenders make big errors that cost us games. Put him and thiago in defence with mendy in goal and i think we will thrive. Look how good zouma looks when with them two.