Andreas Christensen

57 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

They went to pot when David Luiz left, it must help having a top class, experienced CB knocking about... :laugh2:

I don't want to be too negative, but I'm still not 100% hopeful they're Chelsea material myself... Christensen has been excellent, but I'll have to see how long they can keep these performances up until I completely judge, especially in a back 4. 

This is it for Andreas in my opinion this is his last chance to prove he has what it takes at Chelsea there has been too many false dawns. When he's on song he does look a proper defender other times he looks too weak to compete in the prem.

Let's assume that Barca game really shook him and he's finally gotten over it, I was disappointed with the red against Liverpool but aside from that instance I haven't seen him really put a foot wrong.

So the question I'm wondering is can he work in a 2 for us or will he always look good in a 3 but be exposed in a back 4. 

It's like he's exorcised all of his ghosts over the past few weeks:

- European performance against the Spanish form team - check

- Performance against Liverpool - check

And he threw in an arguably MOTM performance against boring boring Man Utd just for fun!

I can imagine a wise, white-bearded Thiago Silva nodding along appreciatively.

On 22/02/2020 at 15:49, EdinburghBlue said:

Christensen is severely underrated by most fans I think. He’s a quality player and I actually think his physicality has improved quite a bit of late. He’s winning a lot more in the air and doesn’t get pushed off the ball nearly as much as he used to in my opinion.

Surprised Cat GIF

On 03/03/2021 at 02:08, LongtimerLurker said:

This is it for Andreas in my opinion this is his last chance to prove he has what it takes at Chelsea there has been too many false dawns. When he's on song he does look a proper defender other times he looks too weak to compete in the prem.

Let's assume that Barca game really shook him and he's finally gotten over it, I was disappointed with the red against Liverpool but aside from that instance I haven't seen him really put a foot wrong.

So the question I'm wondering is can he work in a 2 for us or will he always look good in a 3 but be exposed in a back 4. 

I still stand by that red card was the right thing for him to do in the circumstances. He stopped him going clean through on goal & I’m sure Kepa was in goals so it was basically a goal if he didn’t bring him down.

37 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I still stand by that red card was the right thing for him to do in the circumstances. He stopped him going clean through on goal & I’m sure Kepa was in goals so it was basically a goal if he didn’t bring him down.

I would always rather concede a goal than get a red card at the 45th min mark

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

He's playing well, but he needs to keep this up until the end of the season before I change my mind on him.

Yep, don't want to be too negative, but we've seen this before with Christensen, he looked the dogs bollocks with Conte until that Barcelona game. 

Rudiger also needs to prove himself again. 

Just now, Slojo said:

Yep, don't want to be too negative, but we've seen this before with Christensen, he looked the dogs bollocks with Conte until that Barcelona game. 

Rudiger also needs to prove himself again. 

He never actually looked this good. Even before that Barcelona game he used to make silly mistakes and give the ball away easily.

What we're seeing from him right now is a whole new level.

Just now, wizardous said:

He never actually looked this good. Even before that Barcelona game he used to make silly mistakes and give the ball away easily.

What we're seeing from him right now is a whole new level.

Yeah tbf you're right, I'm not giving him enough credit. This is probably the best I've seen him. But he was top dog under Conte at one point, the hype was there and he went under the radar for quite a bit, couldn't really regain his form. Had a piss poor season last one, but so did every defender here. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Yeah. As discussed previously, the sentiment on Christensen at the time was so downbeat that he would have been lambasted no matter what he did. It looks like an inflection point in hindsight