Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 minute ago, Van Butsen said:

He got hauled off last night and that's when all resistance fell away.  I'm not making a case for or against Cahill, but that 100% happened last night.  He is the leader and the team do get around him whether we like it or not.

Conte in all probability over performed last season and is struggling to match that this season with a couple of damning scorelines not helping.  But overall has been a real positive influence on results, the squad and the club and I'm confident he has the experience to implement some result stability from here on.

I didn't see the full game last night due to work commitments so ill take your word for it but that's just a once off this season. We have looked a lot better defensively with the Azpi-Luiz/Christensen-Rudi back three for most of the season and with the German's pace and athleticism he can sweep up when Alonso get's wiped out a lot better.

6 minutes ago, Argo said:

I didn't see the full game last night due to work commitments so ill take your word for it but that's just a once off this season. We have looked a lot better defensively with the Azpi-Luiz/Christensen-Rudi back three for most of the season and with the German's pace and athleticism he can sweep up when Alonso get's wiped out a lot better.

Yep I agree anyway, but only marginally.  I think he's been scapegoated above what has been warranted this season and if he had made Rudiger's mistake last night we wouldn't hear the end of it. As such, it's all support and a "learning curve" for Rudiger. 

If Morata and others had buried some recent chances no doubt the outcome of the games may well have changed also.  Conte is one of the 3 best managers we have had in recent years, with Jose and Carlo being the other two.  So far this season he's had some tough luck in terms of injuries and the Board's apparent reluctance to spend over the odds on players;  City, Utd, PSG, RM, Barca and one or two others never seem to bat an eyelid over the price...big teams don't; if you want to play with the big boys you need to spend big money to ensure the man you hired can be given every opportunity to succeed.  This year although the Board did spend some cash they severely depleted the squad leaving the manager with half a tool box and a few spare parts while expecting the job to get done.

But there also seems to be a whiff malaise among this group of players, it just seems that way from where I'm sitting; and now with the training time severely reduced from last year, Conte's message to the players and his training regimes is now perhaps beginning to take its toll on the players. 

I think Conte is like Jose and Pep...give him the tools and he will get you results, but while the Board is making the decisions off the pitch Conte is struggling on it.

I just hope he keeps his head and his cool when facing the tough questions by the owner and the Board in relation to recent results, if not he just might lose it.

I'm thinking about 4 at the back considering how bad we were against Roma defensively in the 2nd half. 

Or we could just stick with the system we won the league with. Regardless it's a tough choice for Conte but what isn't a tough choice is not playing Fabregas, and if he plays Fabregas in a two-man midfield I don't even think I'll watch the match. (Well I'm working anyway, but still) 

Has to be Drinkwater-Kante for me, they must play. Look how good they were together at Leicester, Drinkwater isn't the greatest but he's more composed than Bakayoko, and much fitter than Fabregas. 

47 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

There just seems to be an attitude problem at Chelsea and while I didn't blame them during Jose's reign (Loved the guy but he was a right bar steward at the best of times), I cannot understand why they're doing the same to Conte. 

sh*t policy at the club from top to bottom. Entire club culture needs to be revamped. 

7 hours ago, Slojo said:

I'm thinking about 4 at the back considering how bad we were against Roma defensively in the 2nd half. 

Or we could just stick with the system we won the league with. Regardless it's a tough choice for Conte but what isn't a tough choice is not playing Fabregas, and if he plays Fabregas in a two-man midfield I don't even think I'll watch the match. (Well I'm working anyway, but still) 

Has to be Drinkwater-Kante for me, they must play. Look how good they were together at Leicester, Drinkwater isn't the greatest but he's more composed than Bakayoko, and much fitter than Fabregas. 

This. 

If Cesc plays, we are gonna get outrun, outfought, simple as that. If someone cant see that, well... 

It`s fun how some people change their opinion by night. Last season they was crying at Conte why he is starting with Matic, and why Fabregas is a reserve, now they are crying for exactly the opposite ...

Some people are just like that. They will cry no matter what happen, or what player starts or not. You can always find something to complain, when the match os over, it`s so easy ...

I say it many times in the summer, people will soon forget and turn on Conte .....
Exactly what happen. Board once again did a great job manipulating Chelsea fans....

1 hour ago, brakeit said:

I say it many times in the summer, people will soon forget and turn on Conte .....
Exactly what happen. Board once again did a great job manipulating Chelsea fans....

sh*t dude you should try reading the posts here before commenting on their content.

Turn on conte ?? I'd get rid of every member of the hierarchy,  roman apart before conte we are lucky to have him. Id assume that all three center backs that ran to the same player will be made to watch that sh*t again and again while getting a complete dressing down. If conte is sacked , and I assume he will be ( because that's how the club operates ) I don't see anyone doing a better job.. 

Whatever happens we need to stick with him. Apart from the fact that I can’t even think of a single decent manager out there right now we can get, we need to stop,with the constant hiring and firing. If the players know the manager isn’t going anywhere and has the backing of the owner perhaps they’ll start acting right and not throwing tantrums and getting our managers sacked whenever something goes wrong.

We have one of the best managers on our hands, let’s not act stupid again and lose him like we’ve done with certain players.

10 hours ago, TomCFC85 said:

There just seems to be an attitude problem at Chelsea and while I didn't blame them during Jose's reign (Loved the guy but he was a right bar steward at the best of times), I cannot understand why they're doing the same to Conte. 

Because the players have been shown by Roman they have the power, thats not a great situation to make for a manager, if they do sack conte I hope they appoint Marina manager so he can sack her next, not being able to buy players is the problem not the managers, Jose and Conte both world class, we need new players, I believe the conte and costa standoff may have been conte trying to show he has the power not the players, but that will backfire without the clubs support. 

1 hour ago, Drogbaholic said:

Whatever happens we need to stick with him. Apart from the fact that I can’t even think of a single decent manager out there right now we can get, we need to stop,with the constant hiring and firing. If the players know the manager isn’t going anywhere and has the backing of the owner perhaps they’ll start acting right and not throwing tantrums and getting our managers sacked whenever something goes wrong.

We have one of the best managers on our hands, let’s not act stupid again and lose him like we’ve done with certain players.

Spot On.

12 hours ago, enigma said:

That's exactly what I though and hoped would happen. Now lets hope for a reaction against Utd on Sunday.

If accurate, Kenedy getting a bollocking for yawning - the lad really doesn't learn does he :laugh2:

100% agree with you on this but then I saw this:

Roman only goes to training before the annual sacking, so that only means if we lose Sunday, he’a gone. Shame.

I know he's only been manager for a year, but we need to plan something for Sunday. To show both Roman and Conte himself that we believe in the manager.
Whether that be arranging at a certain minute to applause etc
But we need to show Roman, that we're fed up of this sacking culture, we want to keep Conte and it that means finishing 4th and going 2-3 years without a trophy, that's the consequence we'll just have to take, but I'm fed up of Roman not being able to see the obvious.

Roman isn't stupid. He gave Jose a lot of time before sacking him, in fact some could say too much time. We MAYBE could have got Europa if he got fired sooner. However, Roman also wants the best for the club (his business) and wants to see us succeed and continue succeeding at the top level.

I would much rather that than Arsenal or Liverpool who will stand by their coach even when getting poor results. I want Conte to stay, but if the results are not coming then there's little choice for Roman. The media harp on about Roman and his sacking of managers, but in any business if money is being lost (or in football, games are being lost) then the person responsible gets a warning or eventually the sack. However, I hope we go on a winning run until January, but that's no guarantee in this game. 

Edited by enigma

Always found this player power thing a bit of a grey area, if the player's can see the manager's dragging the club down ala Scolari and AVB, wouldn't it be poor mentality to just shut up and accept the situation? Im not saying this is remotely the case with Conte but this the manager's incharge and player's should submit like good little boys notion is silly.

1 hour ago, TomCFC85 said:

I know he's only been manager for a year, but we need to plan something for Sunday. To show both Roman and Conte himself that we believe in the manager.
Whether that be arranging at a certain minute to applause etc
But we need to show Roman, that we're fed up of this sacking culture, we want to keep Conte and it that means finishing 4th and going 2-3 years without a trophy, that's the consequence we'll just have to take, but I'm fed up of Roman not being able to see the obvious.

Yes, let's hope noise of the chants of "Antonio, Antonio................" are at the absolute maximum, especially bearing in mind who will be sitting in the other dug-out.

It's simple really and we have had enough goes on this managerial merry go round to suss it out, player power is very very forceful in the internal politics of the Bridge, started with Big Phil then AVB etc. etc.  Players know from experience whether they play poor intentionally or not that the manager is always first to go. FFS top elite coaches like Jose sacked twice and Carlo once, and now the latest to walk under a media driven crisis to the 'gallows' is looking like AC.  I've expressed my displeasure at this boom and bust cycling many moons ago, until there's a shift in the club's internal dynamics and decision making I fear it will continue.