JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

5 minutes ago, forbzy said:

However if we want to challenge again next season we will need to upgrade the first team. We have some decent squad players but the first team hasn't been improved in some time. All of our signings in the last year or 2 have been like for like squad replacements while our rivals have upgraded.

Well Kante was an upgrade last season.  Christensen and Rudiger are upgrades this year to Cahill/Luiz.  We have just missed out more than other squads.  Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, all misses.  And costly misses at that.  Thats over 100m tied up in three squad players right now. 

What I would like us to do is stop playing this negative catenaccio we have been playing for the past 5 years.  It's just an aging tactic that keeps games as close as possible praying for that one counter attack to win you a game.  I truly believe it is the source of our problems, why we cannot continue our rise to prominence.  It's not fun to watch, players don't enjoy themselves, and the team ends up losing to teams they shouldn't.  And against the big boys it makes us look scared so there's lots to pick apart for the media.  

We need an offensive strategy that doesn't start with defending.  And under Conte that simply does not exist.  

When a problem like this happens once you can perhaps blame the manager. But we are stuck in a continual cycle now it seems. Unless the board changes their outlook I cannot see anything changing here.

The general assessment was that Conte managed to get the team to over achieve last season when we won the league. That was also without the distraction of European football. Yet despite spending a healthy amount in the transfer market to strengthen the squad, I don't see where we improved our first team. If anything we took a step backwards in the short term as Morata has not yet proven to be an adequate replacement for Costa. So the results are not too surprising.

3 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

Well Kante was an upgrade last season.  Christensen and Rudiger are upgrades this year to Cahill/Luiz.  We have just missed out more than other squads.  Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, all misses.  And costly misses at that.  Thats over 100m tied up in three squad players right now. 

What I would like us to do is stop playing this negative catenaccio we have been playing for the past 5 years.  It's just an aging tactic that keeps games as close as possible praying for that one counter attack to win you a game.  I truly believe it is the source of our problems, why we cannot continue our rise to prominence.  It's not fun to watch, players don't enjoy themselves, and the team ends up losing to teams they shouldn't.  And against the big boys it makes us look scared so there's lots to pick apart for the media.  

We need an offensive strategy that doesn't start with defending.  And under Conte that simply does not exist.  

Fair enough. I can't believe I forgot about Kante who was a huge factor in our win last season. As good as Christensen and Rudiger have been, they are still young and not the finished article. Certainly better than what we have seen from Cahill and Luiz this season, but I don't know that they are an improvement on the Cahill and Luiz that were so excellent last season.

6 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

Yes all misses this season though Drinkwater is having a go. Bakayoko has been played out of position, he is not the man to being the ball out of defence yet may be the man to carry it forward. Slim chance he gets in a two man midfield. 

6 minutes ago, forbzy said:

When a problem like this happens once you can perhaps blame the manager. But we are stuck in a continual cycle now it seems. Unless the board changes their outlook I cannot see anything changing here.

The general assessment was that Conte managed to get the team to over achieve last season when we won the league. That was also without the distraction of European football. Yet despite spending a healthy amount in the transfer market to strengthen the squad, I don't see where we improved our first team. If anything we took a step backwards in the short term as Morata has not yet proven to be an adequate replacement for Costa. So the results are not too surprising.

The other teams were in rebuilding phases - City, with three at the back, Utd needing to win the Europa and Liverpool looking inconsistent. Spurs looked like the real challengers.

The writing was on the wall that we needed more investment to progress I was one of those saying blow £60m on Sandro if he was available. Morata has been disappointing and looks like a mistake. 

I can only think the fall out with Costa and then Luiz stopped the board in spending big for Conte and this is the gradual decline we are seeing now.

I think the way forward will be a back four with more bodies in midfield and then even Bakayoko might look like a decent player again. it would certainly give us more attacking options going forward.

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Yes all misses this season though Drinkwater is having a go. Bakayoko has been played out of position, he is not the man to being the ball out of defence yet may be the man to carry it forward. Slim chance he gets in a two man midfield. 

The other teams were in rebuilding phases - City, with three at the back, Utd needing to win the Europa and Liverpool looking inconsistent. Spurs looked like the real challengers.

The writing was on the wall that we needed more investment to progress I was one of those saying blow £60m on Sandro if he was available. Morata has been disappointing and looks like a mistake. 

I can only think the fall out with Costa and then Luiz stopped the board in spending big for Conte and this is the gradual decline we are seeing now.

I think the way forward will be a back four with more bodies in midfield and then even Bakayoko might look like a decent player again. it would certainly give us more attacking options going forward.

Agreed. A critical summer ahead if we plan on staying in the top 4. Assuming Conte is gone, will the board back the next manager with the type of quality signings required to compete with our rivals? Or if the preferred option is to start bringing the youth through we should be hiring the right manager for this strategy, and to manage expectations accordingly.

I think Conte's tactics have grown stale for the team. They crave a more offensive and aggressive approach. His positional game has grown tiresome for them and is shown to be primitive compared to Guardiola and the team are feeling that way as well. Too many players have come out recently for it to not be the case. They need new stimulus.

Conte was a good bridge gap between Mourinho'said style and the styles utilised by positional, possession based teams. His style was sort of a mish mash of Guardiola and Mourinho's principles and was a perfect stop gap to getting our players familiar with the methods of said managers but the team needs to evolve past what he offers now. My picks for next manager would be Tuchel, Sarri or Enrique. Sarri far ahead at the top and Enrique bottom. 

Mourinho had a lengthy stay of execution-  until December the second time around. Probably kept getting the benefit of the doubt in that rut due to his legacy.

Conte seems to be on borrowed time and we are in the third month now of 2018.  Previous Chelsea managers have arguably gone quicker and for less. I wonder if the board isn't going to pull the trigger as it doesn't seem as quick and painless as before..

The nail in the coffin was before the match definitely, he really needs to stop going on and on about transfers it's getting boring now. You've made your point Antonio, how can you expect the board to pay out 70 million on players like Vidal for you and other world-class stars when you show no signs of wanting to stay here? 

I've seen all this before and I've been saying it for months now, he's got everything wrong this season. 

Has there even been the slightest inking that Conte is close to getting the sack? The lack of stories in the media about his departure says to me that he is no closer to getting the push than what he was before last nights game! If he is still here by the time we get knocked out by Barcelona, then Roman has probably decided to keep him, at least until the summer that is.

If someone told me before the game, we would lose 1-0, or I just saw the final time score, without any stats, I would be generally okay and actually be semi-happy with the result.

However, I watched the game and the scoreline is nothing to be pleased about. We played as if we were a team fighting for relegation. No passion, no fight. Okay, the first half was fine, but as soon as they scored we didn't react, the players just stood there like nothing. Were we even playing football? Thank god, City didn't push up a gear. 

The players didn't believe they could win that game and unfortunately, that is down to Conte. As a manager, you need to psych up your players and make them believe that they can beat anyone. Yes, he is annoyed about the players brought in, saying they are not good enough and that we should have got better payers - I think we all agree with him. However, he shouldn't keep bringing it up, all it does is tell the current players that they are not good enough. THIS could be seen as it looked as if every player lacked faith in themselves and the tactics. 

The false 9 is just plain stupid, the way we play it. If we were to play it, I would put Pedro (when on form) upfront, not Hazard. Hazard is a waste there and he said so time and time again that he doesn't feel comfortable playing in that position. You could see this in his body language yesterday. Not only that, what is with him being subbed off every game? Honestly, I can't see him here next season anymore. 

The false 9 system works well when you play possession football and not counter-attacking. Yesterday, it was obvious we wouldn't have much of the ball and therefore it would be better starting Giroud as you can't boot the ball up to Hazard, can you?

I loved Conte last year and didn't want to lose him as I felt he could be a long-term manager. However, he is making it obvious that he doesn't give two sh*ts about staying. I am now starting to feel like we need a new manager. I don't care if we play counter-attacking football, as long as we play football because what we played yesterday wasn't.

3 minutes ago, Chigzzer said:

If someone told me before the game, we would lose 1-0, or I just saw the final time score, without any stats, I would be generally okay and actually be semi-happy with the result.

However, I watched the game and the scoreline is nothing to be pleased about. We played as if we were a team fighting for relegation. No passion, no fight. Okay, the first half was fine, but as soon as they scored we didn't react, the players just stood there like nothing. Were we even playing football? Thank god, City didn't push up a gear. 

The players didn't believe they could win that game and unfortunately, that is down to Conte. As a manager, you need to psych up your players and make them believe that they can beat anyone. Yes, he is annoyed about the players brought in, saying they are not good enough and that we should have got better payers - I think we all agree with him. However, he shouldn't keep bringing it up, all it does is tell the current players that they are not good enough. THIS could be seen as it looked as if every player lacked faith in themselves and the tactics. 

The false 9 is just plain stupid, the way we play it. If we were to play it, I would put Pedro (when on form) upfront, not Hazard. Hazard is a waste there and he said so time and time again that he doesn't feel comfortable playing in that position. You could see this in his body language yesterday. Not only that, what is with him being subbed off every game? Honestly, I can't see him here next season anymore. 

The false 9 system works well when you play possession football and not counter-attacking. Yesterday, it was obvious we wouldn't have much of the ball and therefore it would be better starting Giroud as you can't boot the ball up to Hazard, can you?

I loved Conte last year and didn't want to lose him as I felt he could be a long-term manager. However, he is making it obvious that he doesn't give two sh*ts about staying. I am now starting to feel like we need a new manager. I don't care if we play counter-attacking football, as long as we play football because what we played yesterday wasn't.

It was truly embarrassing and I can understand people's frustrations however not to the extent of it in this thread, but that's a topic for another time.

As for the performance, I honestly took it from a lot of Liverpool fans who called our negativity disgusting and it's the first time I've ever agreed with a group of scousers before. Liverpool actually went at City and had a go at them and got something out of it, what we did was plain embarrassing. I can't stand Jamie Redknapp but even he was very right, what we did was a crime against football, the viewers don't deserve that, setting out to not get humiliated? What on earth is that about. Are we at a war for goal difference or something? I think not. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

As for the performance, I honestly took it from a lot of Liverpool fans who called our negativity disgusting and it's the first time I've ever agreed with a group of scousers before. Liverpool actually went at City and had a go at them and got something out of it, what we did was plain embarrassing. I can't stand Jamie Redknapp but even he was very right, what we did was a crime against football, the viewers don't deserve that, setting out to not get humiliated? What on earth is that about. Are we at a war for goal difference or something? I think not. 

Exactly, for a change we do deserve the criticism we are getting.

If we don't make the top 4 it'll be more likely because of having less points than our rivals not because of goal difference. 

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It was truly embarrassing and I can understand people's frustrations however not to the extent of it in this thread, but that's a topic for another time.

BIB. They are right, it was disgusting, and embarrassing! I'm actually contemplating not watching any more of our games while Conte is in charge! I've never contemplated missing any of our games before, even with Mourinho at his worst! But that non-football we played yesterday was nauseating!

Not sure why anyone wants to come to their workplace if they are so peeved, upset etc.

As professional players I will make an assumption that they just go through the motions of turning up, as they did yesterday, when their apathy towards their job is brought on by the managers constant moaning and whining. Like many of you we seen it in our own workplaces, why would footballers be any different?  Of course non of us fans will know the real truth behind the hiring of Antonio, the promises, details of his contract, expectations etc. I would think the expectations and reporting structure, transfer policies etc, would have all been laid out in front of him beforehand; if so then what's his gripe? unless the Board or owner gave him certain promises and never fulfilled them...(pure speculation on my part of course), but it does seem strange to go from a genuinely enthusiastic manager, full of hope for the future of this club one minute to someone who is trying to destroy it the next.  

One thing is for sure and certainly since Roman has become the owner, is that this club will never have stability when it comes to appointing a 'Coach' albeit carrying the 'Manager' title; the Board it seems, will always have the final say in the transfer market, regardless of their understanding of the actual game itself and there lies one part part of the problem. I still believe that the Board took away most, if not all, of any input the 'manager' had when it came to transfers several seasons ago as we continued to buy high priced flops recommended by the managers themselves. The clubs '30 year old' policy also I think has had an effect, as it takes out many experienced world class players out of the equation, and while the Board and the club as a whole want their youth players to integrate into the first 11, they fail to understand that with that will come failure, at least in the short term, and failing to reach targets is not something they will tolerate.  The club has forced recent managers into a 'catch 22' situation and this I think is where Conte finds himself.  He knew the squad was not good enough to challenge for the title again and as history shows, that unless you refresh your first 11 it is unlikely that you will retain the title the following year; he also knew that Utd, City and Liverpool would strengthen...we needed to do the same, especially with the CL to contend with; everybody knew that...except the Board it seems; while the Board were dithering in the summer, City and Utd were now paying the new going rates (thanks to Pogba and Neymar) for decent players; our rivals were strengthening leaving us with the scraps, and that no doubt was first piss off for Conte.  Albeit Morata I think was a good buy; I still believe he will improve next season..providing he stays. 

I believe Bruce Buck came out after the summer and acknowledged that we did not have a great transfer window and the Board had let Conte down; no doubt Conte himself was hoping things would be righted during January...that was the second piss off and probably the last which has now dragged on for 2 months and will continue until he has gone....with the Board ready for the next smuck of a 'manager' who they can piss off and begin the cycle all over again.  We have had some great managers at this club all of which at some stage pissed the Board off; they can't all be bad ...can they?   

Antonio will be gone following the Barca game; it appears that intentionally or not, that he is destroying the moral of the players and the club in general, the sooner he is gone the better and the sooner the Board wake up to the new market place the sooner we can get back to some form of normality...whatever that is around here. 

1 hour ago, shedpensioner said:

Could he be sacked for gross misconduct? I know if I slagged off my company in public, I’d be out the door.

I even have to watch what I put on Facebook.

Good point. With the amount of money at stake he's no doubt received legal advice on how far he can push things without breaching contract.

A " gagging" order effectively preventing coaches from airing grievances publicly might hamper future hirings however.

Like pretty much everyone else though I agree that his critical comments throughout this season have been angled towards getting himself the sack, which is sh*t behaviour in anyone's book.

A coach should want to take the job because he wants to succeed with Chelsea, not because of the pay-off they'll get if they get sacked. It boggles my mind that these contracts even have that kind of clause. Why should a manager be given a sh*t ton of money for failing so bad he gets the sack? 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

So yesterday was nothing to do with Conte but only the players? That's completely wrong, Conte had a whole week to set his team up while City played on Thursday, is that really all he can come up with, I bet 1 player didn't enjoy that and we certainly know Hazard has had enough of Conte's false 9 sh*t, if you can't see how wrong it was at half time or not prepared to make changes after City scored then there are big questions to ask about the manager.

It was 0-0 away from home to the best team in Europe at half time. If that is not good enough then yea, Conte isn't good enough. I'm sure it crossed Conte's mind to play possession or to be more attacking at half time, then he had a look at his players and laughed out loud. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

1 minute ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

It was 0-0 away from home to the best team in Europe at half time. If that is not good enough then yea, Conte isn't good enough. I'm sure it crossed Conte's mind to play possession or to be more attacking at half time, then he had a look at his players and laughed out loud. 

0-0 at half-time while the supporters of Chelsea are going mad in the stands and shouting sarcastic cheers when Chelsea eventually do something. Yeah all about the players why Chelsea have been a disaster since Christmas, there's no excuses for all the things Conte has done wrong this year and there has been plenty.

It never crossed Conte's mind to go more attacking even after City scored, teams at the bottom of the league had more shots on target. Like i said City played Thursday, travelled back that night, Conte has a whole week and delivers that sh*t. City never went up the extra gear as they never needed too.

It's all about the players though and Conte has done nothing wrong, if only Fab can be a better passer we would have won :laugh2:.

The score line did not tell the real story it was beyond pathetic

21 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

It must be humiliating for highly technically gifted players like Hazard, Willian and Fabregas to "play" (and I use that loosely) this way while they cast envious glances to the total football being played by Guardiola's team. Players are tired of the over the top defensive approach and it shows in the body language. 

Just thought I'd bump this for those few posters who are justifying yesterdays performance. We are the laughing stock of European football at the moment. But hey, we almost got a 0-0! :JC_doubledown:

Posted (edited)

So - Mourinho's not good enough, Conte's not good enough, Poch wouldn't be good enough, Sarri wouldn't be good enough, Ancelotti wouldn't be good enough, Simeone wouldn't be good enough, 

Why is it that the very top managers in the game, aren't good enough for Chelsea? Could it be to do with the environment they'd be made to work in here?
Could it be that our failures are more due to the bones of the club, and not the brains we bring in for 2 seasons at a time?

I can't picture any of those managers having 3+ fruitful seasons here. And I don't see how that could be down to them, some of the greatest the game will ever see. 

So - who's good enough to be at the helm? Must we go digging in Germany, Ukraine, Portugal etc. for an unearthed tactician master? (I think that could be best, considering we've less luck with the more established managers. But, I've no idea who out there would be right for us. At a stretch, I'd gamble on Sampaoli - but who knows if he could handle the Premier League. He isn't exactly available either.)

Edited by fiel

If you continually bang on about how you haven't got the players you want, eventually the players you have will turn on you.

That's what's happened, and yesterday was the clearest indication of it, as are some of the quotes from the players following matches recently.

It's very poor psychology from Conte, unless of course he wants to lose his job, in which case he's probably patting himself on the back.

For what it's worth, I hope we keep him till the end of the season, not because I think we have any hope of salvaging anything, but I'd prefer the club let him hang himself rather than give him the satisfaction of the sack.

5th would be outright failure, so let him fail first, and then get rid of him.