Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 minute ago, Saaladin said:

Drinkwater? That's your defining sub? Ok.

I think I made my point clear enough.

So you dont see how bringing on a player like drinkwater for fabregas in a game where our Midfield was being torn apart would make a difference? Maybe you are conte. 

15 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

You are literally just absolving Conte of any blame on the basis of "fatigue". 

Anyone would think we are fielding a 5 a side team because we can't field a full side of 11 players, the way you are talking. 

I am baffled as to how you can blame the size of the squad when Conte doesn't even use the players that he does have. 

No doubt that will be someone else's fault... probably the boards for not buying good enough players I would guess.  

I have to admire your determination to defend Conte, but it just doesn't wash with me I am afraid. 

There is no excuse for the way he has conducted himself over the last few months; it's as pathetic as it is unprofessional. He hasn't earn't his wage as a Manager, in any capacity, and we can roll the "fatigue" excuse out as many times as we like, but it doesn't change a damn thing, especially when he has players in the squad he isn't even using. 

You keep ignoring the size and quality of the squad as if that means nothing.

Sorry but Conte isn't a wizard. He's not going to give them magical powers.

We had a team that won the league playing a fairly light schedule. That team was stripped of 2 key players.

So not only was the team not reinforced and improved for the season to come it was downgraded.

Yet you will continue to say that Conte didn't do his job. I'm still not sure what you expected from this squad of players. Everyone knew Chelsea was shorthanded going into the season too. It's not like Conte was alone in his assessment.

No one really thought that Chelsea was going to challenge based on their summer activity. The Manchester clubs were always favored so its not like this was a surprise and some massive disappointment occurred. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

So you dont see how bringing on a player like drinkwater for fabregas in a game where our Midfield was being torn apart would make a difference? Maybe you are conte. 

In the form Drinkwater is in? No I don't. And I don't know how you can say our midfield was torn apart.

Sorry but how many chances did West Ham really create? One? Two?

I would keep Fabregas on in case we concede a goal I would need one of our most creative players on the field.

21 minutes ago, Saaladin said:

No one really thought that Chelsea was going to challenge based on their summer activity.

Challenging is one thing, We currently sit in 2018 with less wins in the league this calendar year than the likes of Swansea, Newcastle and Bournemouth.

No matter what bunkem you can find to justify it to yourself, Even with a weakend team this is not acceptable 'I repeat' NOT acceptable.

27 minutes ago, Saaladin said:

In the form Drinkwater is in? No I don't. And I don't know how you can say our midfield was torn apart.

Sorry but how many chances did West Ham really create? One? Two?

I would keep Fabregas on in case we concede a goal I would need one of our most creative players on the field.

Sorry, I meant the spurs game. 

57 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

You are literally just absolving Conte of any blame on the basis of "fatigue". 

Anyone would think we are fielding a 5 a side team because we can't field a full side of 11 players, the way you are talking. 

I am baffled as to how you can blame the size of the squad when Conte doesn't even use the players that he does have. 

No doubt that will be someone else's fault... probably the boards for not buying good enough players I would guess.  

I have to admire your determination to defend Conte, but it just doesn't wash with me I am afraid. 

*There is no excuse for the way he has conducted himself over the last few months; it's as pathetic as it is unprofessional. He hasn't earn't his wage as a Manager, in any capacity, and we can roll the "fatigue" excuse out as many times as we like, but it doesn't change a damn thing, especially when he has players in the squad he isn't even using. 

* In comparison Benitez is in arguably a worse position in regards to getting the players he wanted, but he has handled the situation far more professionally and coached Championship players to 10th in the PL and probably avoiding relegation, whereas in this 2nd half of the season we are in relegation form. 

48 minutes ago, Saaladin said:

Nope, you haven't made any point at all. 

You asked for an example, I provided one. 

The basis of your whole defence of Conte is "fatigue" so one would imagine introducing a midfielder with fresh legs to replace the most fatigued player on the pitch might help the team. 

You are going to have to do a lot better than that to prove your "point"

1 minute ago, mclovin83 said:

Nope, you haven't made any point at all. 

You asked for an example, I provided one. 

The basis of your whole defence of Conte is "fatigue" so one would imagine introducing a midfielder with fresh legs to replace the most fatigued player on the pitch might help the team. 

You are going to have to do a lot better than that to prove your "point"

My point is that you came up with one example. 

And that example - from a coaching perspective is not a good option. 

If I am winning 1-0 with a whole half to play why would I take out one of my more creative players after 50 minutes? What if we concede? Now I'm stuck with Drinkwater on the field and not much in terms of forward passing out of my CMs.

Now would it make sense to bring Drinkwater on leading 1-0 at minute 75? Sure. I can get on board with that. Problem is we conceded well before that so Fabregas had to stay on to help rescue the points.

46 minutes ago, Saaladin said:

You keep ignoring the size and quality of the squad as if that means nothing.

Sorry but Conte isn't a wizard. He's not going to give them magical powers.

We had a team that won the league playing a fairly light schedule. That team was stripped of 2 key players.

So not only was the team not reinforced and improved for the season to come it was downgraded.

Yet you will continue to say that Conte didn't do his job. I'm still not sure what you expected from this squad of players. Everyone knew Chelsea was shorthanded going into the season too. It's not like Conte was alone in his assessment.

No one really thought that Chelsea was going to challenge based on their summer activity. The Manchester clubs were always favored so its not like this was a surprise and some massive disappointment occurred. 

We are just going round in circles here. 

You say the squad is too small for Conte, but Conte doesn't use all the players he has at his disposal. 

We lost two key players, and they were replaced at a cost of circa ££120M. 

You say we downgraded, but of course you absolve Conte of any contribution, whether it be the fall out with Costa to the deterioration of the form of Bakayoko. 

Conte isn't a wizard, you are right. The problem is, he isn't even pretending to be a Manager at the moment. 

Nobody is expecting miracles; we are expecting a Manager who looks likes he gives a toss. 

If I am winning 1-0 with a whole half to play why would I take out one of my more creative players after 50 minutes? What if we concede? Now I'm stuck with Drinkwater on the field and not much in terms of forward passing out of my CMs.

Now would it make sense to bring Drinkwater on leading 1-0 at minute 75? Sure. I can get on board with that. Problem is we conceded well before that so Fabregas had to stay on to help rescue the points.

This is all great except for he fact Fabregas was the worst player on the pitch, and could barely run in the second half.

Call me crazy, but I think I would have thrown caution to the wind, and replaced said worst performing player on the pitch with one who could run. 

Now would it make sense to bring Drinkwater on leading 1-0 at minute 75? Sure. I can get on board with that. Problem is we conceded well before that so Fabregas had to stay on to help rescue the points. Why? Because Conte has little else in terms of influential players that can come on so his only real move is to keep status quo.

1 minute ago, mclovin83 said:

This is all great except for he fact Fabregas was the worst player on the pitch, and could barely run in the second half.

Call me crazy, but I think I would have thrown caution to the wind, and replaced said worst performing player on the pitch with one who could run. 

Maybe he was tired, in fact he probably was. But Fabregas is not on for his running. He's there to control the pace of the game and make key passes. 

1 hour ago, Saaladin said:

Is Drinkwater any worse than Henderson? The same player was in a midfield that made the run away leaders look like schoolkids and is captain for the CL semi finalist's.

The squad is nowhere near as bad as you are trying to claim, we have a core group of top quality players and while you could feesible argue we could and should have better support players, most of them (and even worse players than them) have been title winners before. 

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Stop it.... Just don't even tempt fate like that for gods sake. 

Bit off topic but the word was back in 2004 if Jose and Rafa didn't end up at Chelsea and Liverpool respectively they would have ended up at the other club, how different would things have looked.........

Edited by Argo

35 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

Does anyone think Conte can do anything to save his job? That is, that he wants to actually keep it. 

Not waive his release clause. lol

I think he wants to stay for next season and see how it goes before he commits further. Maybe results get him sacked next season but unlike Jose I don't think he would try to subvert the club and team to get himself sacked and move on to a bigger club. He's already had his two dream jobs so money to spend seems to be the only issue he's concerned about. 

2 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Not waive his release clause. lol

I think he wants to stay for next season and see how it goes before he commits further. Maybe results get him sacked next season but unlike Jose I don't think he would try to subvert the club and team to get himself sacked and move on to a bigger club. He's already had his two dream jobs so money to spend seems to be the only issue he's concerned about. 

If United was Jose's dream job he's got a very funny way of showing it.

If Conte was struggling with an obvious player rebellion, I think it's fair to say a majority of the forum would be here supporting him. But given Conte's attitude and the rumours sufficing, (what Vialli said was VERY worrying, why would Vialli say that?) then it's not going to be the case. At the beginning I respected how he went public with the board, I think there is definitely something going on at this club where the board aren't doing a good enough job of satisfying the manager or supporting him. 

But now it's excuse after excuse, he's not to blame for anything, it's what the board wanted etc... Well, it seems to be what Mr Conte wanted also, why don't you just take some responsibility for how the season has gone and explain that you need more time with the players. 

I don't think I've ever heard of a manager complain so much who's had over 200 million to spend about transfers. I'm in the middle here but I lean more to Conte, a big part of me wants him to stay but I get pessimistic whenever I hear him talk about the board and belittling his own players. The rumours don't help also, It's almost as if he's lying to the media when he says he wants to stay, other people are saying different behind the scenes. Who do I believe? 

57 minutes ago, Argo said:

Bit off topic but the word was back in 2004 if Jose and Rafa didn't end up at Chelsea and Liverpool respectively they would have ended up at the other club, how different would things have looked.........

I feel faint.... 

On Sunday we were struggling to finish chances, how about the manager changes this at about the 60 minute mark & not wait until 80 minutes?

its not even a difficult change, Moses off, Giroud on, Dave to right back shuffle to 442 and be more of a threat, give their centrebacks something different to think about.

thats being a manager, not changing like for like!