Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

11 minutes ago, atomis said:

No matter what it has been dealt with badly.........the Club damn well knew he was a goner........yet we waited and waited and waited.......Thus why he is suing for damages.

No doubt, but if the rumours are true about his unexplained absense (which apparently cost us Tolliso) then he won't have a leg to stand on. 

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

No doubt, but if the rumours are true about his unexplained absense (which apparently cost us Tolliso) then he won't have a leg to stand on. 

Are you referring to his alleged 10 day absence in the summer of 2017, when he supposedly went flirting with AC Milan ?. I hadn't read that it cost us Tolisso. 

Edited by Osgood is Good

Just now, Osgood is Good said:

Are you referring to his alleged 10 day absence, when he supposedly went flirting with AC Milan ?. I hadn't read that it cost us Tolisso. 

I have in a couple of places, could be right or wrong, and yes the alleged absence last summer.

19 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

From my point of view, Conte doesn't deserve a penny. He was criticising his employers to the media almost every week last season, he damaged his own reputation with his behaviour.

Problem is Scott no one really knows what went on behind the scenes, it could have been and sounds like a dog's breakfast....I mean if the club are so hard up that they have to bring a petty thing up like parking in the wrong spot is beyond belief.  I think it's fair to say that both sides are equally to blame for this mess. Split the difference and stop pissing about, both sides will learn from their mistake..................oh I forgot this isn't exactly the first time we have run into dismissing managers, yet somehow we generally make a mess of it. 

The club can sack the manager whenever they want. He didn't like the timing. Tough titties. 

The club should sue him for breach of contract. Every single week he was moaning in his press conferences about transfer policy, saying it had nothing to do with him, complaining about his squad, complaining about the board. This was a dereliction of duty because it created a negative atmosphere amongst his troops, but more importantly, contracts are watertight. You get paid a lot of dough to do your best with the hand your dealt, you can't be slagging the club off. If you do that, you're out of a job and you've breached the terms of your agreement.

That's why managers tow the party line even when they're not happy. All managers want more players, more money, etc etc, they don't all shoot their mouth off every week. Look at Pochettino, if you want a perfect example. Managing a top football club is a very privileged position. You get paid well you get adulation if you're doing well you get to work with top players.

Edit: Chelsea are contesting this for a reason. Why should he be able to take the piss out of us? He's wrong. Of course Chelsea should contest it. The guy hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Edited by Davey Baby

41 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Problem is Scott no one really knows what went on behind the scenes, it could have been and sounds like a dog's breakfast....I mean if the club are so hard up that they have to bring a petty thing up like parking in the wrong spot is beyond belief.  I think it's fair to say that both sides are equally to blame for this mess. Split the difference and stop pissing about, both sides will learn from their mistake..................oh I forgot this isn't exactly the first time we have run into dismissing managers, yet somehow we generally make a mess of it. 

Scolari and AVB both epically flopped yet we had no problem giving both a full pay out. If the club are refusing to pay a title winning manager then he must have done some heavy duty sh*t last season, even worse than what's being rumoured/reported!

Edited by Argo

17 hours ago, atomis said:

No matter what it has been dealt with badly.........the Club damn well knew he was a goner........yet we waited and waited and waited.......Thus why he is suing for damages.

He could have quit any time he wanted. But no, he wanted the big payout of being fired. So now apparently its not enough for him to get a vast payout, he also wants another one for the timing? Bollocks to that.

2 hours ago, Kentonio said:

He could have quit any time he wanted. But no, he wanted the big payout of being fired. So now apparently its not enough for him to get a vast payout, he also wants another one for the timing? Bollocks to that.

As mentioned, as would we all. I agree f**k the 8.7M in damages etc....f**k that. He was a goner long before he was sacked, yet we waited on what exactly? No matter what he was finished, no matter who would replace him, he was still done. So why the brutal wait? We handled it badly, made a meal of it. 1 day after the FA-cup he should have been sacked.........this will drag on.

Should never have given him the improved contract. 

There was clearly some bad blood between him and the club coming off the back of the title win. The alleged 10 day absence and the Costa saga but we handed him improved terms anyway. 

So we only have ourselves to blame for how much money he's owed. 

• 4 months later...

Chelsea and Conte begin their legal dispute over severance pay today at a Premier League managers’ arbitration tribunal. 

Allegedly Chelsea are going to argue Conte cost Chelsea money over his treatment of Diego Costa. 

Personally I think the whole thing is ridiculous and we look extremely petty withholding payment. 

If we were that upset with Conte, why did we let him take charge of the team for a further 12 months? 

We wasted £160m on crap transfers after selling Costa so getting out knickers in a twist over a few extra quid on selling a player who appears to have been past his best anyway is just pathetic. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Chelsea and Conte begin their legal dispute over severance pay today at a Premier League managers’ arbitration tribunal. 

Allegedly Chelsea are going to argue Conte cost Chelsea money over his treatment of Diego Costa. 

Personally I think the whole thing is ridiculous and we look extremely petty withholding payment. 

If we were that upset with Conte, why did we let him take charge of the team for a further 12 months? 

We wasted £160m on crap transfers after selling Costa so getting out knickers in a twist over a few extra quid on selling a player who appears to have been past his best anyway is just pathetic. 

I totally agree and that also suggests that the club basically allowed the relationship with Conte to deteriorate purely over the petty Costa saga. They could have sorted it out that summer and backed him properly. Instead they just allowed things to stagnate for a further year.

Also while Conte made key mistakes with the Costa texts, it was never disputed that Costa wanted to leave several months earlier. Ultimately the drama over the texts may have led to Costa leaving at a lower price, but he was leaving either way. The amount we potentially missed out on was small compared with what has been squandered since by the board.

8 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Ultimately the drama over the texts may have led to Costa leaving at a lower price, but he was leaving either way.

£57M for a 30 year old want-away striker (and yes, he had been pining for a move since January of his first season).

That they got that after he had already began boycotting training, was magical. I don't know how much more they could have expected unless they had an agreement beforehand.

Marvelous piece of business by the Chelsea board. 

There's a saying in recruitment... it's not the players you miss that kill you, it's the players you get that can't play that kill you.

We robbed Atletico blind on that move... unfortunately, we turned around and blew it on Morata who flopped. 

I blame Conte for pouting... for talking down the team constantly... but I don't blame him for being upset to begin with. He wanted to make a Champions League run, and instead, the Board begins a rebuild.

40 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

They clearly feel they have a decent case against him, we have never had any issue paying off managers before even the ones that have flopped.

As if we weren't going to have a difficult enough time finding someone to replace Sarri (if/when he gets the sack), now potential replacements will have to wonder if they'll have to fight for their their contractually obligated pay of they too get sacked.  

Yet we pay Drinkwater thousands each week just to dribble around training cones.  

Pence wise.  Pound foolish.

Edited by Boston Blue