JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

Not sure a song has really picked up for mr konte since the start of the season....been living abroad for a few years and havent been to the bridge for a while. Me and my chelsea mates here have gone for "alle-ssandro konte.....alessandro ohhhh" (to the tune of "don't you want me baby"). Any other shouts? Feel the godfather deserves a song!

Already had one i was at watford away and they was singing antonio conte, does it better, makes me happy, makes me feel this way! basically on repeat to the tune of Aint nobody (loves me better)

7 hours ago, Jamieblue said:

Not sure a song has really picked up for mr konte since the start of the season....been living abroad for a few years and havent been to the bridge for a while. Me and my chelsea mates here have gone for "alle-ssandro konte.....alessandro ohhhh" (to the tune of "don't you want me baby"). Any other shouts? Feel the godfather deserves a song!

That Chaka Khan chant seems pretty popular?

For anyone who missed it, it's worth watching.

Feel the same about luiz there. He has the height, power, passing range, height and everything you need for a defender. He just seems immature for a cb which isnt acceptable because you are a cb and especially if you are in 3 man defense.

He was really good last match but they were a few instances where he got too comfy and was cheeky. Saw an instance where he ran to the midfield and even a cheeky pass. I even said it in the match chat when he did it.

Maybe making him the central defender and giving him responsibility in the three man defense might be the right way to counter it and prevent him from being bored and doing stupid things when he isnt involved.

This guy is naturally talented and made for being a cb. He has all the physical aspects any defender would dream of. If conte gets his mind to focus right, he could be one of the best defenders already.

Conte has seriously impressed me since his arrival. Take one moment to consider what he has done.

David Luiz is dominating our defence, especially in set plays. We are forcing teams to try and get round the sides, allowing them more possession, and only pressing for the ball when they come to us, it's a nice tight system at the back.

Conte has used Alonso to give Eden a free visa to roam, and allows Hazard to come in field and up field, even turning up down the right, and in front of Costa.

Moses at right wing back is another master move, he was made for the position.

Tibo looks like he's hungry and the ball is a prime steak, he and Luiz are forming a nice freindship on the pitch, they always tap fists.

Matic is the biggest turn around, Conte has got him playing the football Matic can play, a lot of our good moves start with him winning the ball in midfield and turning defence into offence.

Even Costa has behaved himself, that is some achievement in itself.

17 hours ago, robdog said:

IMHO we could just play Nate a bit more - no real need at CM

I agree playing youth sounds more romantic but if we want an elite squad he isn't at that level just yet he is also not yet good enough to give matic and kante any serious competition, competition not only provides cover and options but stops the team going stale 

2 hours ago, coco said:

Tibo looks like he's hungry and the ball is a prime steak, he and Luiz are forming a nice freindship on the pitch, they always tap fists.

This was thrown out the window by some when he signed, but Luiz personality is a huge positive to have in the side. His energy and passion is contegious. 

2 hours ago, chillz88 said:

Feel the same about luiz there. He has the height, power, passing range, height and everything you need for a defender. He just seems immature for a cb which isnt acceptable because you are a cb and especially if you are in 3 man defense.

He was really good last match but they were a few instances where he got too comfy and was cheeky. Saw an instance where he ran to the midfield and even a cheeky pass. I even said it in the match chat when he did it.

Maybe making him the central defender and giving him responsibility in the three man defense might be the right way to counter it and prevent him from being bored and doing stupid things when he isnt involved.

This guy is naturally talented and made for being a cb. He has all the physical aspects any defender would dream of. If conte gets his mind to focus right, he could be one of the best defenders already.

Why would we strip away his offensive output and creativity? The whole point of our current setup is to allow Luiz to do exactly this. Run up the pitch with ball to start our offense. Its an invaliable resource to have. Ask him to never venture upfield with the ball would be a huge waste of resource as it puts so much pressure on the opposition when they have to avclunt for Luiz springing a man free with a long ball over the top or bypassing the first link of pressure. Its a huge advantage for us. You can also see both Matic and Alonso are under instructions to sometimes cover for him. We have seen several instances were Cahill draws inside and Alonso drops deep when Luiz goes on a run

Just a gut feeling I think there is going to be some big moves in AND out of the club over the next few transfer windows. If we are going to play this 3-4-3 as our main formation moving forward then we need players we don't currently have for cover. We will also want/need to shift the ones that don't suit the formation to Conte's satifiscation. Could be interesting to see who comes and who goes.

23 hours ago, bola said:

In term of playing style or tactic, I don't see too much differences, it's still about keeping it solid and counter attack effectively .. This pattern of playing style is way too familiar, anyone who says otherwise then he or she is having a dory moment, suffering a short term memory loss.

Well yeah it's the same tactics if you consider we now deploy wing-backs rather than fullbacks and wingers. 

It's the same if you ignore that we no longer deploy a #10 and give the two players behind the striker more freedom to roam. 

It's the same if you don't consider us now using a back three which makes it easier for a central defender to carry the ball forward into space. 

It's the same if you don't look at that defensively we now have an extra man at the back when defending. 

But y'know, maybe I'm splitting hairs. 

9 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Well yeah it's the same tactics if you consider we now deploy wing-backs rather than fullbacks and wingers. 

It's the same if you ignore that we no longer deploy a #10 and give the two players behind the striker more freedom to roam. 

It's the same if you don't consider us now using a back three which makes it easier for a central defender to carry the ball forward into space. 

It's the same if you don't look at that defensively we now have an extra man at the back when defending. 

Incredible that someone actually thinks were playing the same way, pretty much every position is different for gods sake. The only thing the same is the keeper. I can only think bola just cant (or wont) admit to being wrong about Conte.

2 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

I agree playing youth sounds more romantic but if we want an elite squad he isn't at that level just yet he is also not yet good enough to give matic and kante any serious competition, competition not only provides cover and options but stops the team going stale 

agree to disagree mate - Nate has shown that his is up to the task - that lil' bit of skill vs Leicester City verified that for me - also Don Antonio trusts him - again Don Antonio says he inserts players that can get the job done - if he trusts Nate, then so will I

1 minute ago, robdog said:

agree to disagree mate - Nate has shown that his is up to the task - that lil' bit of skill vs Leicester City verified that for me - also Don Antonio trusts him - again Don Antonio says he inserts players that can get the job done - if he trusts Nate, then so will I

I welcome diversity of opinion but he is a couple of years away from being a top player, an inform matic and kante are leaps and bounds ahead of him, you're seeing cameo roles, in a big game you would see he isn't quite there yet, judging him on a back heal is a bit of a superficial asseesment of a central midfielder, it's a key job especially in this system you need complete dependability. I don't think anyone here would chose him as a starter in a big game, he isn't ready but I'm all for him getting more minutes. 

Why would we strip away his offensive output and creativity? The whole point of our current setup is to allow Luiz to do exactly this. Run up the pitch with ball to start our offense. Its an invaliable resource to have. Ask him to never venture upfield with the ball would be a huge waste of resource as it puts so much pressure on the opposition when they have to avclunt for Luiz springing a man free with a long ball over the top or bypassing the first link of pressure. Its a huge advantage for us. You can also see both Matic and Alonso are under instructions to sometimes cover for him. We have seen several instances were Cahill draws inside and Alonso drops deep when Luiz goes on a run

I guess you are right and he does have that mean pass in his game too. Its just that seeing luiz go forward when he is supposed to does need getting used to. I remember going bonkers and was always nervous when he did that in the mourinho days when just because he felt adventurous leaving space behind.

21 hours ago, cRyptic said:

For anyone who missed it, it's worth watching.

This is an excellent insight to tactical play, and with Thierry Henry being assistant coach of Belgium as well and having Conte as his new coach, Eden's play should improve immensely this season. That defensive discipline that Jose insisted on is a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, nutmegsw6 said:

That defensive discipline that Jose insisted on is a thing of the past.

Certainly seems to be working ! Only in three games so far this season have we failed to score two goals (all lost incidentally). When we have scored 2+, we are won 9 drawn 1 lost 0.

Contrast to our old manager's continuing negative approach at United, who have scored one goal in their last 4 PL games. I thought it was amusing to see Rashford and Lingard continually defending by their own corner flag at Stamford Bridge .... he's still trying to bash the creativity out of his attacking players in favour of defending and "tracking back".

Thankfully Conte is cut from different cloth.

On November 1, 2016 at 03:48, Jamieblue said:

Not sure that will catch on since his name is N'Golo if you mean kante and Antonio if you mean Conte

Edited by DonAntonio

haha, pretty poor post above on my part...named antonio "allesandro konte" instead. maybe best not to post after a 10 pint session! probably also why the song wasn't catching on :laugh2:  still, think he's doing a quality job right now. stamping his identity on the team, long may it continue :smile:

On 1/11/2016 at 22:48, ForeverCarefree said:

When we play 4-2-3-1 (on paper), in reality, the wide players of the 3 behind the striker are very much attached to the defence, similar to what moses and alonso are doing.. 

Wing back/fullback is just a term, by right, they perform the same role and we don't have winger, at least we haven't got 1 who play like one and since mata's gone, which player that actually play as #10? no, we never deploy this so called #10 as you're led to believe.. 

Of course conte is not without credit, he plucked out 1 player from the defence and replaced him as another player behind the striker, that's better than stuffing the defence with 6 players.. Also, instead of using hazard as wingback, he chose someone who's more appropriate for that role and then he uses hazard in a role who can play as #10 or second striker..

However, in a general play, we're still focusing on keeping the defence solid BY getting players behind the ball in quite significant number and mainly using counter attack as our offence solution..

In term of organizing offence, conte hasn't done much but when the team delivered 4 wins out of 4 with 11 goals scored and zero conceded, what more do you want?? T