JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

I find it funny that we lose 2 games and all of a sudden, half our squad is "not good enough". If i go back to the opinion/post i was laughing at, there were other names in it too: chalobah, rlc, bats. 

Not good enough, and yet that squad is sitting 4 points at the top of PL with 32 games played, Fa cup semi: so  I call that opinion as BULLsh*t.

begovic is a solid back up: thats his role in the squad and we are not doing any better than that EVER.

Zouma: is a great young talent, off a very serious injury. The kid is still just 22 years old and being a defender, has a massive shelf life. 

Matic and Costa are 2 of the main reasons why we are, where we are. We have 24 wins out of 32 PL games (75% win rate) while losing 5 (arsenal away, united away, spurs away and pool home) being 4 out of those 5 defeats. We surely have work to do to improve, but to say that they are not "good enough", is down right stupid.

It's people's opinion. Matic to me is a passenger in the majority of games (look back I've said this before even when we were winning). He's gone backwards since his one outstanding season where he seemed to be everywhere! Considering the stick Cesc gets for his defensive duties the fact Matic escapes blame when that's his role as a midfielder, people just ghost past him.

Kante for me is the huge reason we are where we are, he's been a revelation and reminds me of Matic in that outstanding season he had but faster.

Costa, I agree has been a massive part of it, but if you're denying his form in the second half of the season has been awful then you're delusional. Inconsistency and half seasons are exactly what players like Oscar have got it in the neck for before. 

I've said this before, Costa is a world class goalscorer when on form, but as a technical footballer, he's extremely average. His touch, dribbling, distribution is awful. So naturally when the goals dry up he doesn't look half the player he is when he's scoring. 

8 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

It's people's opinion. Matic to me is a passenger in the majority of games (look back I've said this before even when we were winning). He's gone backwards since his one outstanding season where he seemed to be everywhere! Considering the stick Cesc gets for his defensive duties the fact Matic escapes blame when that's his role as a midfielder, people just ghost past him.

Kante for me is the huge reason we are where we are, he's been a revelation and reminds me of Matic in that outstanding season he had but faster.

Costa, I agree has been a massive part of it, but if you're denying his form in the second half of the season has been awful then you're delusional. Inconsistency and half seasons are exactly what players like Oscar have got it in the neck for before. 

I've said this before, Costa is a world class goalscorer when on form, but as a technical footballer, he's extremely average. His touch, dribbling, distribution is awful. So naturally when the goals dry up he doesn't look half the player he is when he's scoring. 

Matic has surely been an integral part of our success. He might not be the 14-15Matic, but still has been damn good.

Costa has 17 goals to his name, comparing him to Oscar who was not just an average player who has probably found his level playing in the Chinese league, is just wrong on so many levels. As you said, Costa is a world class goal scorer when on form, Nothing and I mean nothing in Oscar was remotely world class.

I agree with you that Costa is more than just frustrating to watch. If you read my comments in the lukaku thread, you would know that I would gladly swap, moreover, I dont want him to start games because he is not providing us ANYTHING currently. That still does not mean that "he is not good enough"(whatever that means). 

My main point is that, while the team is going through a slump in form, its still in no way time to panic. Saying half our squad is "not good enough" is a ridiculous opinion, no matter how you see it. 

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Matic has surely been an integral part of our success. He might not be the 14-15Matic, but still has been damn good.

Costa has 17 goals to his name, comparing him to Oscar who was not just an average player who has probably found his level playing in the Chinese league, is just wrong on so many levels. As you said, Costa is a world class goal scorer when on form, Nothing and I mean nothing in Oscar was remotely world class.

I agree with you that Costa is more than just frustrating to watch. If you read my comments in the lukaku thread, you would know that I would gladly swap, moreover, I dont want him to start games because he is not providing us ANYTHING currently. That still does not mean that "he is not good enough"(whatever that means). 

My main point is that, while the team is going through a slump in form, its still in no way time to panic. Saying half our squad is "not good enough" is a ridiculous opinion, no matter how you see it. 

We'll need to agree to disagree on Matic because I genuinely don't see what he brings to the party anymore which is sad because as I mentioned when he was at his peak he was an absolute monster in the centre of the park. It's hard to put a finger on where it's gone wrong for him and how he seems to have gone backwards as a player.

The comparison to Oscar wasn't so much in terms of ability it was more in relation to the fact that neither have really been consistent all the way through a season, which in itself is extremely frustrating. I maybe didn't make that clear, I agree nothing Oscar done was world class bar maybe the goal against Juve, that was pretty special.

I agree that's it's definitely not time to panic and to say half the squad isn't good enough is a stretch but that doesn't mean to say there aren't positions within the team we could strengthen. it just seems to be that a lot of posters are in agreement that striker and central midfield are two of the key positions where we need new players.

Matic hadn't been anywhere near 'damn good' since we won the title and even towards the end of that season he went completely off the boil.

He's been terrible ever since and not once has he looked like getting back to the player that dominated Toure in Manchester. He's been poor longer than he has been good which tells me he's not likely to get back to where he was for us back then.

I'm grateful for what he achieved for us but it's time to cut our losses while he still has a value above his head, we can do much better and we need much better.

No surprise we dominate the awards with spuds, we for the first half of the season were electric while Spuds since Jan have been just as good if not better than we were beforehand. Just hope that JT announcing he is going will spur some of the players on to give it 100% to the end of the season and lift some silverware for him.

21 minutes ago, Blueblur said:

PFA team of the year announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39648483

Us and Spurs dominate it! 

Cahill over Dave.... Shocking. 

Azpilicueta has to be the most underrated player in the league. 

4 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Tell me about it. I'm under the impression that he is actually invisible to fans and pundits who don't support Chelsea. He's never bloody mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, Blueblur said:

Tell me about it. I'm under the impression that he is actually invisible to fans and pundits who don't support Chelsea. He's never bloody mentioned. 

In terms of pure defending only Alderwierld can make a claim to be as good/better in England. I can't believe we went after Stones all summer when he was avaliable for £11m, forget the sales of Luis, KDB, Lukaku THAT was Jose's big transfer blunder. 

25 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

It's actually embarrassing how little people rate him, he's an incredible defender, he's rarely played his actual position and yet has been consistently the best defender in the league. f**king idiots.

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's actually embarrassing how little people rate him, he's an incredible defender, he's rarely played his actual position and yet has been consistently the best defender in the league. f**king idiots.

I honestly believe he is in his best position right now. Infact if we reverted back to a flat back four I'd want him to be CB (not now because we don't have any top fullbacks for a flat back but hopefully that changes in the summer). 

Losing to Palace and United so close is bound to make us nervous but 4 points ahead is still a dream.

For me Contes big game is Saturday. Lose to Spurs and they have the mental edge on us. They'll be chomping at the bit and will successfully hunt us down.

If we beat them, then I think although they will keep fighting in the league we will have mentally taken the league away from them. Huge game. Conte has to get his team and bench right. Spurs bossed us at the Lane and we need to match 3 in the middle.

On 21/04/2017 at 10:09, AnIrishTrueBlue said:

They'll be chomping at the bit and will successfully hunt us down.

I still don't understand this logic. Spurs have no way to directly influence our results, short of a lasagne-gate scandal of sorts. If they indirectly influence us to the point of choking then we don't deserve the title.

No one on or off the pitch should be remotely concerned about Spurs. 4 wins and the title is ours no matter what anyone does. 

Edited by SydneyChelsea

I thought hazard's comments after the game were a testiment ro conte's man management skills. Although hazard will have been disappointed to be benched for his fa cup semi, he took it on the chin, and both he and costa came on with a good frame of mind. 

Really like conte, isn't afraid to make the big decisions,  whether its changing for players, or leaving out superstars, he does what he thinks is best for the team, and most importantly, he keeps the players on side. 

Hopefully we end this season with a double, and roman backs himfully in the summer. 

Antonio Antonio!!!

If Jose gave us a tactical masterclass last weekend, we've passed the lesson on to Spuds. That gameplan was executed down to a T. 

I along with many others were worried when we lined up without Eden and Costa. I was also worried when we were conceding a lot of ground to them, but now it's over. They never really threatened us other than the goals, Tibo didn't have much to do.

I think Conte done brilliant tonight and I'm elated that it's still 1971 the last time Spuds beat us twice in a season :biggrin:

On 4/20/2017 at 12:53, Argo said:

Conte is the best thing to happen to us since Hazard, he should get a new contract regardless of what happens now. 

I think there's no questioning this. He will get a contract extension.