Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

As usual, one person reports it and suddenly every journalist is repeating it, like a bunch of parrots. The press know this is a big story, I doubt if they know if there is any truth behind the story, they don't care.

They arent held accountable, they can spew any old nonsense with absolutely nothing to back it up other than "Sources at the club" or "insiders close to the player/manager" etc. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

They arent held accountable, they can spew any old nonsense with absolutely nothing to back it up other than "Sources at the club" or "insiders close to the player/manager" etc. 

Exactly, and the Twitterarti lap it up.

I keep seeing this Di Marzio name mentioned . People claim he is 'reliable' but clearly he is a joker.

Antonio is off on holiday anyway, where's the substance to these rumors?  Media is--and always has--been all about throwing drama against a wall and seeing what sticks.  There's no reason not to anymore, with all the money they get.  News is now more "entertainment" than fact.  

I understand the above but i have a huge problem with it because it sends unnecessary negative signals to players and supporters, and forces clubs to make announcements like "everything is fine don't believe the reports"...which in turn can be spun into a negative...by the media!!  Like, "look, see!  they wouldn't need to make a statement if everything was fine!" When in actuality they are the ones who drummed up the nonsense in the first place.

People are drawn to drama, it's probably the best form of entertainment we've got and it keeps fans plugged into the media so why wouldn't they.  It's all a bit much for me.  

Antonio Conte will be fighting a losing battle if he tries to take full control at Chelsea, even though the Premier League champions currently expect the Italian to start the season as head coach.

Reports emerged from Italy, where he is spending the summer, that Conte is considering his future over frustration regarding Chelsea’s transfer strategy and a desire to have greater power.

Chelsea described themselves as “relaxed” about the situation and it is understood that Conte has not communicated any displeasure directly to the board.

The club have made Conte an offer to become the highest-paid manager in Chelsea’s history following his superb first season in charge, but will not be held to ransom while the contract extension remains unsigned.

Chelsea believe their structure and strategy has been extremely successful over recent years, as proved by two Premier League titles in the last three years.

Despite managerial changes, Chelsea consistently win silverware and deal well in the transfer market. Even the players who make minimal impact on the first team are generally sold on for profit.

So it makes little sense from Chelsea’s perspective to rip up what has been a successful formula to suit the wishes of Conte or any other manager.

Owner Roman Abramovich can also point to the fact that he was supportive of the 47-year-old during difficult times last season. Following the 3-0 thrashing at Arsenal in Sept, Abramovich spent three successive days at the training ground and made a point of only consulting with Conte.

Abramovich could have easily found players who would have complained about Conte’s tough training sessions at that time, but he was only interested in trying to understand what his head coach was doing and offering help.

Since the Premier League title win, tension has steadily built as Chelsea attempt to kick-off their summer spending, find a solution to Diego Costa’s situation and end any uncertainty over the futures of star duo Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois.

Diego Costa and Antonio Conte
Diego Costa (left) was told by text that he was no longer part of Conte's plans CREDIT: REUTERS

Conte’s decision to tell Costa that he was not part of his plans by text message stunned Chelsea and could well have cost the club millions as their negotiating position is now weakened.

It is believed that Conte took matters into his own hands after becoming agitated over a perceived lack of transfer activity regarding incomings and outgoings since the end of last season.

Conte left for holiday believing a deal to sign Virgil van Dijk was virtually agreed only to find Liverpool had made their own move for the central defender, which has hardened Southampton’s stance and pushed up the asking price.

He was also disappointed Chelsea did not make a bid to sign Dries Mertens before the 30-year-old signed a new Napoli contract at the end of May.

Conte has made it clear he would like to sign Leonardo Bonucci from his former club Juventus, but Chelsea would have to pay over £50m for the 30-year-old and make him one of their highest-paid players.

Despite some setbacks, Chelsea still expect to spend around £200m as they close in on a deal for Monaco midfielder Tiemoué Bakayoko and are confident of landing striker Romelu Lukaku from Everton.

Juventus left-back Alex Sandro is also a player on Conte’s wanted list who Chelsea are chasing, while there is interest in Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez and Everton midfielder Ross Barkley.

Willy Caballero is due to complete a free transfer switch to become Chelsea’s new back-up goalkeeper once his Manchester City contract formally expires on June 30.

Caballero has already started speaking with some of the players he believes will be his new team-mates about life at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea faced criticism and allegations that Conte was unhappy about the speed of their transfer dealings last year, and yet the signings of N'Golo Kanté, David Luiz and Marcos Alonso proved to be inspired.

There is a greater urgency this time around as Chelsea also have to plan for a Champions League campaign and have already lost Asmir Begovic and captain John Terry.

Pressure to deliver quickly has been increased by the fact Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool have already been active in the transfer market.

Talks have been held with the agent of Courtois and Hazard himself regarding their futures, with Chelsea insistent that neither man will be sold during this transfer window.

Courtois turned down Chelsea’s first new contract offer, but he and the club see that as a normal part of negotiations and plan to resume talks next month. Hazard is expected to be offered a new deal worth around £300,000-a-week.

Edited by Sindre

Conte's unexpected success last season hasn't done himself any favours with the board in terms of signings, according to that article by Matt Law the board feel they are doing a stellar job, 2 titles in 3 years, the reality is we had a good season with Jose after making good signings, then played the strategy of not needing much improvement and finished 10th, conte rescued us and it seems now they think that formula works, rather than it was the manager who changed things around for us, well if they lose conte and sign no one, lets see if we can pull off another mid table finish, if what is being reported it true the board are quite naive and self congratulatory willing to rst on their laurels as everyone round us strengthens, and will earn the wrath of the if losing conte and having a poor season, we are in a position to do great things with a great manager, wtf are they playing it here if this is to be believed. We are making more money than ever and spending less on transfers. 

Conte, if true appears like isn't doing well here, first killed Diego's sale price now the fact that there are rumours he is going to leave or at least stall on his contract based on the club not getting transfers tells selling clubs when chelsea come charge more, they need to buy or they will lose their manager, that's probably why Matt Law has reported that Chelsea are saying they won't be held to ransom.

If they don't say that anyone who we want to buy from will pull our pants down, if Conte is frustrated I see why, I think the board have the totally wrong approach but if he has handled these things as they are being reported,at first glance you would say he hasn't done well, another way of looking at it however is,  I suspect he feels maybe he has to make a stand, he knows that we have weaknesses, he knows that next year after setting such a high bar he will be struggling to win anything, especially with CL which as always with Chelsea may result in his sacking, I can see why he doesn't want to take on a season that he is being set up to fail in, it's his managerial career, if I was him I would quit rather than have what happened to Jose, if push comes to shove I would hope the board will realise they have to keep him and he should be rewarded with the players he wants, I mean whats the f**king problem here other than the board flexing it's muscles and thinking they know better despite our atrocious season before last. 

The board have made some awful decisions over the years. They've sacked good managers. Hired terrible ones. Refused to spend money when our rivals were outpacing us. I'd like to think they would finally have learned from their mistakes and now that we finally have another top quality manager, who the fans adore, that they would back him. But you just never know. 

If 9 months from now we are going through the whole sacking/bringing in a temporary interim situation yet again, I honestly think some of us will start to lose a bit of interest.

Edited by Zeta

All valid points though we just don't know the truth of the matter. Supposedly Conte is on holiday and the official transfer window does not open for a couple of weeks yet of course journalists need to have something to write about. We just don't know how much has any substance and how much is due to artistic license.

Off season, no real interesting stories going on, how are these football journalist going to make money or get 1000s following on Twitters? Easy, write a story about Conte leaving Chelsea or Ronaldo leaving Madrid. The scary thing these days is, once a non sense been retweeted 20 times, people started to believe it, or at least considering the what ifs. Conte is on holiday, unless his wife is the source of these stories, there's no truth in it. The only thing I could think of is his agent is working in the background to make ensure Chelsea offers his client the best deal.

It's the norm the challengers out-spend the champion in the next transfer window, otherwise how are they going to ever catch up? Let's judge our terrible transfer 2017 mid July, at least.

Chelsea went through a period with a group of players at their peak and they could win trophies some years without a manager really. That's probably why the board thinks sacking managers by the year works.

The year Mourinho win the league on his comeback Chelsea did their business early and Mourinho got the players he wanted. We all know what happened the summer after.

Conte did a great job which a bunch of players IMO out finished their final point's finish by quite alot. Looks like Conte wants the relevant players to improve and push the squad to the next level.

Never smoke without fire I didn't want to believe they Costa rumours in January but I won't make that mistake again. Conte walked out on HIS team Juventus so walking out on Chelsea is nothing. I don't think he will be here for the season start I so hope am wrong but am preparing for the worst now.

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

Costa has played a good part in 2 titles, and probably a more major part in getting 2 great managers sacked. Well done c**t.

I always thought it was Hazard to blame who was shagging Eva. Well I guess I was wrong.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

I always thought it was Hazard to blame who was shagging Eva. Well I guess I was wrong.

I think there may have been more than one doing that and when that was discovered it split the dressing room. May be wrong, perhaps JM might tell in a decade and then we might get the truth.