Jump to content

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Seems to be the case. Obviously they wanted to do something to try and keep him, but presumably he was not willing to commit himself any longer.

Lack of commitment on one or both sides. Maybe he is not happy with our transfer window. To be fair if he sees out these two years will be a surprise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

probably for the best. last season was fantastic, but there was also less against us, i.e. lack of champs league & injuries. next season will be the true test to whether last season was a "fluke" or not. if conte doesn't have an impressive season with us, then he he either gets sacked or stays for his last season; if he has a great season then the board will likely offer him a new improved contract extension. we learned our mistakes from jose's tenure here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good news, cant understand why anyone would turn it into a negative.

Hes got an improved contract which no doubt means he got some improved conditions he wanted too. I'm sure he wouldn't sign it without certain assurances too.

Remember - the club paid off Mourinho 4 months after signing a 4 year deal. This will suit them as well,  if Conte has another good season it wouldn't surprise me if they try and extend the deal this time next year.

Edited by bjd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its actually quite refreshing to see a manager play hard ball with the board and not commit. It might actually force the board to demonstrate that they are willing to actually back a manager rather than just over demand of them. 

Weve got one of the worlds best coach and the board appear to not want to give him what he wants. Just seems ridiculous and short sighted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bjd said:

It's good news, cant understand why anyone would turn it into a negative.

Hes got an improved contract which no doubt means he got some improved conditions he wanted too. I'm sure he wouldn't sign it without certain assurances too.

Remember - the club paid off Mourinho 4 months after signing a 4 year deal. This will suit them as well,  if Conte has another good season it wouldn't surprise me if they try and extend the deal this time next year.

It's obviously a statement by the club and the manager to put all the bullsh*t rumours of him leaving to rest, but you know, the usual lot just have to turn it into a negative, we can't have positive news about the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zeta said:

Seems to be the case. Obviously they wanted to do something to try and keep him, but presumably he was not willing to commit himself any longer.

Let's be honest here, there's flexibility for both parties and the club don't like paying managers off.

Conte signing a Klopp-esque six-year contract would just be disingenuous, and financially irresponsible. We all know how this story ends.

Edited by Charles Ryder
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

So what does that take him to, seeing as his contract wasn't up? plus something has happened to make him sign, i.e. he's getting his new striker?

He remains contracted as manager until the end of the 2018/2019 season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JM7 said:

Its actually quite refreshing to see a manager play hard ball with the board and not commit. It might actually force the board to demonstrate that they are willing to actually back a manager rather than just over demand of them. 

Weve got one of the worlds best coach and the board appear to not want to give him what he wants. Just seems ridiculous and short sighted. 

There's no reason why Conte shouldn't sign the new contract with improved terms as it's merely a pay rise and nothing more.  The board's original contract extension offer has been rejected and rightly so as it gives Conte flexibility to walk away without a very large payoff and join another club should he be unsatsifed with transfer dealings and whatnot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure it must be pretty rare for a player or manager to get a hefty payrise without having to extend his current contract. To me this sounds like the club knows Conte is really unhappy with how we have looked in the transfer market and the club is trying to make up for it by paying him £3 million more a year. Like a "we are sorry we have fecked things up again, but here have another £3 million a year and stay pleeeeeeeease"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...