JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

Always know trouble is brewing when the manager thread floats to the top of the board.

Very premature in my view given previous achievements. The fact that this sort of slump has happened twice in three years with two different manager should give the board insight that it isn't the manager.

I think the real challenge Antonio faces is tactical given the more limited time on the training pitch.  One of the downsides of his automated style of build up is that with all of the analysis now, teams can combat that. I feel starting with the Bayern game in preseason teams have worked us out. That means we are having to try new things and that hasn't been easy with limited training time. It's also not easy when you aren't given any upgrades to your squad.

I really hope Antonio can break the boom bust cycle. I have full faith that he can get the results we need.

On 17/10/2017 at 16:08, Argo said:

Conte needs to take his fair share of the slack aswell, this board excuse can only go so far. The board didn't make Cahill captain or keep picking him, and the board certainly aren't culpable for Antonio getting tactically outsmarted by Wenger and Roy fecking Hodgson off all people.

Yep agree, he's also persistent on playing out of form players like Willian. 

But I really hope we don't sack him, I'll be gutted, we should stand by him give him a full season, make it clear he's going nowhere. I hate when the board just waits it out, nothing good comes of it we just make things worse. The players all revolted against our last series of managers, it's time the board stops giving in to player power and back the manager. 

Conte must take his responsibilities and tell to some players that they not good. And then put them in the bench for some games, but its also dificult because, we not have the depth for it. 

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Fairly certain he is a deadman walking.

Whether it is over the next month, by Christmas or by the end of the season he is gone. Managers don't win battles with Romans board. They follow the company line and succeed along it or get tossed out on their ear.

As has been said already we did not have a good transfer window. Not enough to compete for the title but conte has screwed up as we should never be getting beat by the likes of palace and Burnley and certainly not getting held at home by arsenal.

Carlo return next?

That would be terrible. First of all, we should not be getting rid of managers the moment we go through a rough patch. The same patience that Mourinho was afforded last time should be afforded to Conte. I'm certain he's definitely not going to have us 16th in the league. We'll be in and around the title mix by January imo. Secondly, going back to ex managers almost never works. Thought we'd learnt that already from Mourinho? Hiring Carlo means we'll be looking to hire yet another manager in at most 2 years after that.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion and expectation, but to me, comments along the lines of ''more negativity...'' or ''you should be grateful'' are quite narrow minded/borderline insulting. Of course supporters are grateful for recent success, but, I also think we have the right to expect a squad capable of challenging properly.

On the subject of Conte, I think there are some warning signs.

The next window will be telling. If he get's no further support, or a Sidwell and Pizarro - he's gone.

There is no doubt in my mind the man is already gone.
He doesn't look half as interested or motivated as he did last season and it shows in the performances. I think he already knows he doesn't have the personel to fight for the league title this season(which i agree with) and everything that keeps the man here at the moment is the small chance of doing something of note in Europe. When our CL-campaign ends i think he resigns shortly after.

Conte was probably crying inside watching Llorente play a great game for Tottenham against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on tuesday for example. He should have been a Chelsea-player if not for board incompetence and just that one "small" piece could have saved the season and Contes relationship with them for me.

Oh god, imagine us regurgitating every sacked manager: after Carlo's second sacking we get AVB back, then Di Matteo....:laugh2:  And Hiddink on a retainer as a stopgap. Not the FSW though :sign0195:

To be honest letting Carlo go was a big mistake. He set the team up to demolish teams and played exciting football. Think we scored the most goals in that title winning season

Just now, Wolv said:

To be honest letting Carlo go was a big mistake. He set the team up to demolish teams and played exciting football. Think we scored the most goals in that title winning season

He and Claudio hold a special place in my Chelsea heart.

Last season we saw an animated and passionate Conte, get the feeling injuries aside he has lost his mojo. Perhaps mentally he is still dwelling in the past on missed player opportunities.

Problem is, if his mojo has gone who motivates the players?

I hope I’m absolutely wrong but I’m beginning to get a feeling that there’s something dodgy going on behind the scenes. It’s more than simply injuries and bad form and reminds me of Mourinho’s last few months where the players looked like they were playing but you could see they had mentally checked out. Or maybe the City defeat did more damage than we thought?

We now have players throwing a strop and disrespecting Conte everytime they get substituted, something we never saw last season(apart from Costa in the Leicester game) Michy and Willian last week and yesterday Luiz.

Anyway, for me the weekend’s performance will tell me everything i need to know. Lose and it’s pretty obvious that we have another case of players forcing another good manager out of this club. 

I am telling you now, we are very likely to lose on Saturday vs Watford. No I'm not being negative for the sake of it. Watford are 4th and on great form. Aside from the man city game they've put in good performances every week. That Marcos Silva guy or whatever and Clevererly will rip our midfield to shreds if Cesc and Baka are playing. Hazard and Morata will be isolated yet again. I also have a feeling we will go with 3-4-3 and play Willian lol. Luiz seems to have picked a knock, Conte wont risk him. Azpi needs a rest, play someone else or else he will keep leaking goals due to fatigue. But Conte's stubbornness will result in both him and Willian playing.

How the Watford match will turn out: we will be knackered from the Roma game, Watford with a week's rest will analyse how Palace beat us, press us high up the pitch, us lacking energy from mid-week will struggle to cover spaces and leave massive gaps yellow jerseys to run into causing havoc. No need to watch the game, already know how it will turn out. Conte needs to do something dramatic in these two days to change things around. 

Being outplayed by Watford at home is the last thing I wanna see. 

Edited by zes

He better finds a way to win or he will be gone very soon. I don't want to say or even think about this, but we ve seen it many times in the past and I guess we'll see it again very soon. Unfortunately our coach still doesnt have any power in this club and the players do exactly what they want. Bad(man), Azpilicueta and even my man Luiz. I have doubts in Willian and Pedro as well. 

As long as the power is in Emenalo The C, we will fire and hire coaches for 3 or less years. Until he gets the bloody job, which is his aim. 

7 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

That would be terrible. First of all, we should not be getting rid of managers the moment we go through a rough patch. The same patience that Mourinho was afforded last time should be afforded to Conte. I'm certain he's definitely not going to have us 16th in the league. We'll be in and around the title mix by January imo. Secondly, going back to ex managers almost never works. Thought we'd learnt that already from Mourinho? Hiring Carlo means we'll be looking to hire yet another manager in at most 2 years after that.

Carlo shouldn't be looked at even if he wasn't here before, but that's for another day.

For me i think how the club and team are evolving goes becomes before results, i would be fully behind Conte even if he finished 4th to 6th (even lower if there was seriously mitigating circumstances) if he was doing his best performance tactically and the performances were on a decent track but equally if we perform like the last few games for the rest of the season and grind 2nd i would have serious doubts and honestly wouldn't be fussed if he did go.

Edited by Argo

8 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

Hiring Carlo means we'll be looking to hire yet another manager in at most 2 years after that.

If i was Carlo i'd tell Chelsea and Roman to f**k right off, they treated that man like a leper, he don't need the money and he doesn't need Chelsea!!!

3 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

If i was Carlo i'd tell Chelsea and Roman to f**k right off, they treated that man like a leper, he don't need the money and he doesn't need Chelsea!!!

Or maybe it was more down to the fact he was getting tactically bent over by the likes of Mick McCarthy and Kenny Dalglish?

8 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

Do we not usually hire a new manager every 2 years or so?

If we somehow sack Conte then Theres no way I can supoort the boardroom and that eventually leads to the Club. I have followed this Club since 85.....many of us went through the bad days and the really bad days.......but damn it when is Roman gonna open his eyes that his beloved Club is sick? Where in bloody hell are his advisors informing him that the likes of Emanelo are destroying so much hard Work? A blind goat could see and sense that this team needed players, but yet Again we fail to back a class manager WHO has transformed us. No instead we will keep sufficating our manager until he walks, sacked etc.

Im baffled that such a tough and ruthless man cant see that his Club is in trouble......Make no mistake about it, if we lose Conte then we are done, not beacuse you cant possibly be so Lucky to hire such a class manager in succession, but beacuse the same system will still be active and ready to demolish the NeXT poor bar steward coming in. As much as I hate the likes City, I absolutely love how they support their manager and actually try to help the fella.......Chelsea Chelsea, always has been and always will be a huge pain in the ass to follow......I love this Club but man our current system really testing my limits.

34 minutes ago, atomis said:

If we somehow sack Conte then Theres no way I can supoort the boardroom and that eventually leads to the Club. I have followed this Club since 85.....many of us went through the bad days and the really bad days.......but damn it when is Roman gonna open his eyes that his beloved Club is sick? Where in bloody hell are his advisors informing him that the likes of Emanelo are destroying so much hard Work? A blind goat could see and sense that this team needed players, but yet Again we fail to back a class manager WHO has transformed us. No instead we will keep sufficating our manager until he walks, sacked etc.

Im baffled that such a tough and ruthless man cant see that his Club is in trouble......Make no mistake about it, if we lose Conte then we are done, not beacuse you cant possibly be so Lucky to hire such a class manager in succession, but beacuse the same system will still be active and ready to demolish the NeXT poor bar steward coming in. As much as I hate the likes City, I absolutely love how they support their manager and actually try to help the fella.......Chelsea Chelsea, always has been and always will be a huge pain in the ass to follow......I love this Club but man our current system really testing my limits.

If he keeps picking Cahill and carry's on being outsmarted by the likes of Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson, then he will be held accountable and rightly so. By held accountable im not nesseserily saying sacked, but he has made some absolutely horrendous decision's this season that can't be excused because "the board". 

15 hours ago, Cyborg7 said:

Conte must take his responsibilities and tell to some players that they not good. And then put them in the bench for some games, but its also dificult because, we not have the depth for it. 

But if you're in Conte's position how do you expect to win by discipline? The board never protects the manager, that's the main issue. We should have stood by Mourinho when players weren't performing for him, we didn't we just let it drag out until it got really bad. 

I hope the same doesn't happen here, I've seen it too much with Chelsea over the past 10 years, our players underperforming for the manager then suddenly become world class when new one steps in the same season. 

So now there are reports that various factions are complaining about Conte's training regime and methods being too hard and contributing to our injury backlog. Seems to go against the message from the playing staff that we need to 'work, work, work' to sort out our problems. Notwithstanding I fear the cycle of disruption is beginning to repeat itself irrespective of whether there is any truth to the rumours. Once you begin to openly criticise and report the way someone is doing their job then its downhill from there.

Perhaps Carlo is the right man for the job. Rumours there were that the Bayern players organised their own training sessions as they felt they weren't being worked hard enough.