Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

I find it hard to believe the board asked Conte who he wants and he said Carroll. I suspect they offered him a list of sh*t choices and Carroll was one of the least sh*t to choose from.

Exactly. Please people give Conte SOME credit. Does anyone honestly think that Conte went to the powers that be and told them he wanted Andy Carroll?!!

17 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Exactly. Please people give Conte SOME credit. Does anyone honestly think that Conte went to the powers that be and told them he wanted Andy Carroll?!!

there's a possibility he did,  he wanted to sign llorente last season so he's obviously after that kind of player. Plus Carroll is the complete opposite to the players we were told the board wanted to sign,  young and with a possible sell on value.  he did sign bendnter for juventus remember. 

Edited by dkw
6 hours ago, just said:

Roman enquired about Tottenham via Zahavi, Daniel Levy confirmed this. Sven Goran Ericsson advised him that we were better value in terms of cost and Jesper Gronkjaer getting us into the CL swayed it in our favour. We were not Roman's first choice.

Roman has done great things for Chelsea but has also made many mistakes. As Ewell26 said in the club investment thread the decisions and actions of the board are the decisions and actions of Roman and that has been laughable at times with our never ending managerial merry go round and, in recent times, our transfer dealings. 

I have no doubt Roman has built up a strong attachment to OUR club over the years with us, but IMO I do doubt that his passion is as strong as it was in his early years. And nothing lasts forever. The goalposts have moved. Wealthier owners have taken over top clubs and relegated us to the second tier of the transfer market. I feel this a reality many Chelsea fans still have to accept and as that reality affects our ability to bring in the top stars it will be harder to compete with those clubs on a level playing field.

A point worth making is that the bloke is 3 billion worse off since the onset of the global financial crisis. Compared with the nation state wealth of Man City, he's a comparative financial small fry.

How Man Utd can continue spending at this rate is another question

Edited by Ewell CFC
51 minutes ago, Nibs said:

The most absurd thing I've ever heard. Talk about lowering your standards lol. I'm pretty sure Conte wasn't even aware of Andy's existence until his name popped up on TV.

Seeing as how we seem to be OK with buying injured players so far (Barkley, Drinkwater), My assumption is that the board really trusts our medical staff a lot. Maybe they thought Andy Caroll if physically fit will be an improvement over Llorente who Conte wanted. Both are big physical hold up players- only Caroll is obtainable, younger and also within budget. Caroll has the potential to be a decent signing if he can stay fit and if all we are looking for is a striker who is capable of holding up the ball front. 

When i look at the transfer prices for players and the fact that we are building a new stadium - i dont blame the board that much for penny pinching. My problem is them spending average money on players who are only a shade or two better than our own youth players. 

6 hours ago, just said:

Roman has done great things for Chelsea but has also made many mistakes. As Ewell26 said in the club investment thread the decisions and actions of the board are the decisions and actions of Roman and that has been laughable at times with our never ending managerial merry go round and, in recent times, our transfer dealings. 

I'm not sure the managerial merry go round is as laughable as you suggest. Real Madrid are on their 10th manager since Roman took over, but does anyone ever say they are a laughable club because of this? They also may be looking for another manager soon if Zidane carries on this poor run.

The longevity of Wenger and Fergie make us look bad in comparison, but short managerial reigns really are mostly the new norm. I disagree Roman is "laughable" because he sacks managers.

Also, laughable transfer windows? Most transfer windows, Roman has funded squad improvements and for that we should be grateful. This has resulted in the success we never thought we would have. You can count on one hand the amount of transfer windows Roman has perhaps failed to improve the squad. You could question how we spend it, but money has always been available. He must have been through around 30 transfer windows as owner now.

7 minutes ago, Nickcook26 said:

I'm not sure the managerial merry go round is as laughable as you suggest. Real Madrid are on their 10th manager since Roman took over, but does anyone ever say they are a laughable club because of this? They also may be looking for another manager soon if Zidane carries on this poor run.

The longevity of Wenger and Fergie make us look bad in comparison, but short managerial reigns really are mostly the new norm. I disagree Roman is "laughable" because he sacks managers.

Also, laughable transfer windows? Most transfer windows, Roman has funded squad improvements and for that we should be grateful. This has resulted in the success we never thought we would have. You can count on one hand the amount of transfer windows Roman has perhaps failed to improve the squad. You could question how we spend it, but money has always been available. He must have been through around 30 transfer windows as owner now.

The same people moaning about "trigger happy Roman" would be crying into their cornflakes had we gave Scolari and AVB time to "stamp their mark".

1 hour ago, dkw said:

there's a possibility he did,  he wanted to sign llorente last season so he's obviously after that kind of player. Plus Carroll is the complete opposite to the players we were told the board wanted to sign,  young and with a possible sell on value.  he did sign bendnter for juventus remember. 

@Ernie_blue

Conte wanted Llorente because they've won Serie A together in Juventus the same way Conte wanted Arturo Vidal. He's worked with both players and knows their strengths and weaknesses very well.

The Andy Caroll story was pure gossip mate. David Moyes (West Ham Manager) confirmed he's never been contacted by Chelsea.

Edited by ChelseaFanBoy
2 hours ago, ChelseaFanBoy said:

@Ernie_blue

Conte wanted Llorente because they've won Serie A together in Juventus the same way Conte wanted Arturo Vidal. He's worked with both players and knows their strengths and weaknesses very well.

The Andy Caroll story was pure gossip mate. David Moyes (West Ham Manager) confirmed he's never been contacted by Chelsea.

How do you know the story was pure gossip?

4 minutes ago, ChelseaFanBoy said:

^^ I just explained why. 2nd Paragraph.

That means absolutely nothing, that's like a new owner being interested in buying Chelsea and Conte saying well the chinese guy hasn't contacted me.

"They've not made contact with me,” Moyes said.

“If they've made contact with someone else I don't know about it."

You obviously don't contact Moyes regarding the transfer. Moyes also said Carroll had an injection 10 days ago and was carrying an injury, Chelsea wouldn't have pushed through any deal until they got any news on the injury, the news come and the deal was dead.

1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

That means absolutely nothing, that's like a new owner being interested in buying Chelsea and Conte saying well the chinese guy hasn't contacted me.

"They've not made contact with me,” Moyes said.

“If they've made contact with someone else I don't know about it."

You obviously don't contact Moyes regarding the transfer. Moyes also said Carroll had an injection 10 days ago and was carrying an injury, Chelsea wouldn't have pushed through any deal until they got any news on the injury, the news come and the deal was dead.

The soundbites we get through the press are all pretty much BS anyway. The so called Carroll injury keeping him out of action could have just as easily been him recovering from a bender or being in rehab. The truth is never mentioned at the time.

This is just becoming a joke seriously. I love Conte and I love Roman.

Roman has earned the right to be given some slack for things being how they are. As a business man first and foremost before a football fan, he had and still has his motivations for buying a football club. His club has won almost every if not all competitive trophies before them in a 14 year ownership period that he has overseen with expenses well beyond north of a billion quid. Critics say his reign has been disastrous and i laugh, they criticise the rate of manager in and outs and i laugh even harder.

On a global scale are Real Madrid derided as a joke club or useless or badly run or whatever label of the day is favoured when describing Chelsea? With their 14 managers since Roman took over here.

Is Barcelona derided with their 7 managers in the same time? Or Juventus with their 9, Inter with their 12, Napoli with their 8.

Or closer to home are Tottenham or Liverpool with their 10 or 6 respectively. Man city with their 7 or Newcastle with their 13. Even Man Utd after departure of Fergie now on their 3rd. We are on our tenth manager and whilst not the best or worst on the scale of comparisons, i'm just trying to describe the nature of the beast we are dealing with.

Managerial changes happen, more often than people want to make you believe, and its not unique to a particular club, league or country (internationals) so don't let them deceive you. Managerial stability is great but way over-rated. It only happens in 2 situations. A club cannot afford it or the club is winning things. Of course we will leave Arsenal out of this discussion as trying to resolve their grouping still comes up with "error, cannot compute". Don't let the media narrative about our club fool you. 21 years I've been following Chelsea now, it has never changed. There have been times of calm and a bit of goodwill but never sustained. Roman coming just made it worse.

I love Conte who, I would agree with some people saying, has earned the right to criticise our transfer activity and get the players bought for him he wants, but only to a certain extent. My counter argument to that is Conte knew what he signed up to. He was appointed as a first team coach not a manager and this was made very publicly clear when he signed the dotted lines.

If the board accedes to his transfer requests it is because they want to work with him and him going about things the way he has will not do him any favours. Like someone said in an earlier post I saw on here, (can't remember who that reasonable person is now) they were keen to open up contract talks and offer an extension to his contract which is a sign of belief and willingness to keep him as long as the contract extension would stipulate but the man came back and said no to an extension and only took an increased package. Fair enough, after all he over achieved already. But that does not mean he should make transfer demands that totally go against the clubs recruitment policies (no matter how crap those policies may be). First of all being at odds with their policies would make them unhappy and feel he isn't sharing whatever vision they have. 

Secondly, as a man that has made it clear that he didn't want to commit to the club in the long term, with his transfer requests being out of their long term scope, do we really expect anything less than what is currently playing out?

I know if a member of my team tells me he wasn't thinking long term with the organisation (and more specifically i know it could be in 2 years or less), I wouldn't be giving him the big ticket - long term projects to handle. He may be involved due to his level of skill and impact on the team but i'll make sure my own wider team goals will be put first.

Player performances are always affected by managerial uncertainty. Positively or negatively. He laid his bed, he should lie in it. Plus his moaning doesn't help the players mental state when they go into games. 

Now for the fans, who am I to criticise his or her opinion. Football is an emotional sport. Everyone has their thoughts and feelings. The passion that drives fans is same everywhere and people react differently to same situations due to personality types. We are all commentators in the sport we love. Just keep your chin up, and know players and managers come and go, but Chelsea stays.

35 minutes ago, abister1 said:

Roman has earned the right to be given some slack for things being how they are. As a business man first and foremost before a football fan, he had and still has his motivations for buying a football club. His club has won almost every if not all competitive trophies before them in a 14 year ownership period that he has overseen with expenses well beyond north of a billion quid. Critics say his reign has been disastrous and i laugh, they criticise the rate of manager in and outs and i laugh even harder.

On a global scale are Real Madrid derided as a joke club or useless or badly run or whatever label of the day is favoured when describing Chelsea? With their 14 managers since Roman took over here.

Is Barcelona derided with their 7 managers in the same time? Or Juventus with their 9, Inter with their 12, Napoli with their 8.

Or closer to home are Tottenham or Liverpool with their 10 or 6 respectively. Man city with their 7 or Newcastle with their 13. Even Man Utd after departure of Fergie now on their 3rd. We are on our tenth manager and whilst not the best or worst on the scale of comparisons, i'm just trying to describe the nature of the beast we are dealing with.

Managerial changes happen, more often than people want to make you believe, and its not unique to a particular club, league or country (internationals) so don't let them deceive you. Managerial stability is great but way over-rated. It only happens in 2 situations. A club cannot afford it or the club is winning things. Of course we will leave Arsenal out of this discussion as trying to resolve their grouping still comes up with "error, cannot compute". Don't let the media narrative about our club fool you. 21 years I've been following Chelsea now, it has never changed. There have been times of calm and a bit of goodwill but never sustained. Roman coming just made it worse.

I love Conte who, I would agree with some people saying, has earned the right to criticise our transfer activity and get the players bought for him he wants, but only to a certain extent. My counter argument to that is Conte knew what he signed up to. He was appointed as a first team coach not a manager and this was made very publicly clear when he signed the dotted lines.

If the board accedes to his transfer requests it is because they want to work with him and him going about things the way he has will not do him any favours. Like someone said in an earlier post I saw on here, (can't remember who that reasonable person is now) they were keen to open up contract talks and offer an extension to his contract which is a sign of belief and willingness to keep him as long as the contract extension would stipulate but the man came back and said no to an extension and only took an increased package. Fair enough, after all he over achieved already. But that does not mean he should make transfer demands that totally go against the clubs recruitment policies (no matter how crap those policies may be). First of all being at odds with their policies would make them unhappy and feel he isn't sharing whatever vision they have. 

Secondly, as a man that has made it clear that he didn't want to commit to the club in the long term, with his transfer requests being out of their long term scope, do we really expect anything less than what is currently playing out?

I know if a member of my team tells me he wasn't thinking long term with the organisation (and more specifically i know it could be in 2 years or less), I wouldn't be giving him the big ticket - long term projects to handle. He may be involved due to his level of skill and impact on the team but i'll make sure my own wider team goals will be put first.

Player performances are always affected by managerial uncertainty. Positively or negatively. He laid his bed, he should lie in it. Plus his moaning doesn't help the players mental state when they go into games. 

Now for the fans, who am I to criticise his or her opinion. Football is an emotional sport. Everyone has their thoughts and feelings. The passion that drives fans is same everywhere and people react differently to same situations due to personality types. We are all commentators in the sport we love. Just keep your chin up, and know players and managers come and go, but Chelsea stays.

Reason will prevail!

1 hour ago, abister1 said:

Wonderful post, very well said

21 hours ago, Slojo said:

It's been a very depressing 2018 for Chelsea football club, hasn't it? I can't wait until things start looking up again. 

Only if you're stupid enough to believe everything you read and frankly anybody that is deserves to feel miserable.

In the world of reality nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

2 hours ago, startedwithglenn said:

Only if you're stupid enough to believe everything you read and frankly anybody that is deserves to feel miserable.

In the world of reality nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

Yeah, my feelings have nothing to do with the fact that we've won 1 game out of 6 this year. 

5 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

The soundbites we get through the press are all pretty much BS anyway. The so called Carroll injury keeping him out of action could have just as easily been him recovering from a bender or being in rehab. The truth is never mentioned at the time.

Needed an injection,  sounds like he could have been on an all nighter.

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Yeah, my feelings have nothing to do with the fact that we've won 1 game out of 6 this year. 

Well you'll feel even worse when I tell you it's 1 out of 7 :wink::biggrin:

But seriously, 4 cup games across 2 competitions, one we progressed and the other we didn't because of two very unlucky goals conceded.

And 5 points out of 9 from 3 league games, two of which were away, one of them at Arsenal, is completely in the realms of normal for a team expected to finish between 2nd-4th.

The two transfer windows really drove Conte nuts, we were on a decent run towards the end of the year then as soon as the transfer window opened everything went down hill.. Most of us agree he's right about it, but by putting everything in the open, and let it affect his judgment on the field is not the best way to go about it.

"Following his diplomatic comments in the broadcast portion of his pre-match press conference, in the cameras-off portion, Antonio Conte doubled-down on his assertion that not only is he happy to be at Chelsea and do the work that’s necessary to keep the club competitive at the very top end of the professional game, but that he’s precisely the coach Chelsea need in order to do that. After all, he’s a “specialist”, and not in failure. Failure is not an option; we know this."

sounds familiar?

Relations between Chelsea manager Antonio Conte and key transfer negotiator Marina Granovskaia have become so strained that the pair have been communicating through a third party - former Blues keeper Carlo Cudicini. (Times - subscription required)

there’s your problem... ???

Someone who has been promoted into a critical role who maybe hasn’t the respect of the coach?

Edited by cfcblue