JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

I have no idea what happened yesterday. We had United on the ropes for the first 35 minutes by playing possession football while being lethal when we got that one chance on the counter.

Then everything just seemed to fall apart suddenly. Our composure left us and we let their midfield get a foothold in the game after thoroughly dominating them for the first third of the game or so.

We are in a lot of trouble now with regards to top 4. Seven matchdays ago we were very comfortable in second with a good gap to fourth place and even bigger gap to fifth.
Now we are fifth with a hellish schedule in front of us.

25 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I have no idea what happened yesterday. We had United on the ropes for the first 35 minutes by playing possession football while being lethal when we got that one chance on the counter.

Then everything just seemed to fall apart suddenly. Our composure left us and we let their midfield get a foothold in the game after thoroughly dominating them for the first third of the game or so.

We are in a lot of trouble now with regards to top 4. Seven matchdays ago we were very comfortable in second with a good gap to fourth place and even bigger gap to fifth.
Now we are fifth with a hellish schedule in front of us.

With regards to top4, we will need to win against both pool and spurs to have a chance in hell. 

Its time for him to go tbh. When we won the league we pretty much had a whole weeks rest every week so were able to keep the players fresh and use them each week plus we had costa and matic.

This season was a big test for conte and he has failed us. The signings have been piss poor , the text to costa to tell him to do one and the selling of matic to utd.  

Its time for him to go tbh. When we won the league we pretty much had a whole weeks rest every week so were able to keep the players fresh and use them each week plus we had costa and matic.
This season was a big test for conte and he has failed us. The signings have been piss poor , the text to costa to tell him to do one and the selling of matic to utd.  

Yes, Conte is to blame for everything....

It like asking him to race a Ferrari in a Hyundai and then saying he has failed us.

Also, maybe he needs to have a word with his friend. He says in every interview that he is going to honor the contract.

1 minute ago, JoseBlues said:

Yes, Conte is to blame for everything....

It like asking him to race a Ferrari in a Hyundai and then saying he has failed us.

Also, maybe he needs to have a word with his friend. He says in every interview that he is going to honor the contract.

Of course he is saying hes going to honour his contract. If he walks away he gets nothing, if hes fired then he gets all his money. 

If the board is bringing in another manager then they need to bring in someone that is going to go on alongside their long-term goals, rather than just looking for short-term success. The last two managers didn't meet eye to eye with the club on transfer policy and youth policy, and the team has suffered as a whole. I see no point in bringing in a successful manager if that manager is going to end up clashing with the board eventually when they don't get who they want. Either we hire an in-house manager like what Barca have been doing (that is someone from within the club or a former manager) or we bring someone that meets eye-to-eye with the board. It's about time CFC start having a vision.

I don't go along with this 'blame Conte' stuff. Sure, he's made mistakes but it comes down to the players to produce the results. Both the Barca and the MU matches were winnable and the tactics were good. We didn't win either but can you honestly say that united deserved to beat us and that Barca weren't lucky?

2 hours ago, strangebutblue said:

I'm so tired of people twisting things to suit their agenda.

Costa was gone anyway, he wanted out BEFORE Conte even joined the club, he said so himself. He then tried to force a move China last January. Costa was always going to leave, you can't have your number 1 striker constantly asking for a move and then putting on a sulk for half of the season when he doesn't get that move. If Conte didn't send Costa the text, then Costa comes back and asks to leave anyway, so it makes no difference. 

Also, Matic leaving wasn't down to Conte, that was a board decision. Conte even said a few times before the season began that he would have preferred to keep Matic to take the pressure off Bakayoko. Conte never wanted to use Bakayoko so much so soon, he was forced to because of the sale of Matic.

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Costa was gone anyway, he wanted out BEFORE Conte even joined the club, he said so himself. He then tried to force a move China last January. Costa was always going to leave, you can't have your number 1 striker constantly asking for a move and then putting on a sulk for half of the season when he doesn't get that move. If Conte didn't send Costa the text, then Costa comes back and asks to leave anyway, so it makes no difference. 

Also, Matic leaving wasn't down to Conte, that was a board decision. Conte even said a few times before the season began that he would have preferred to keep Matic to take the pressure off Bakayoko. Conte never wanted to use Bakayoko so much so soon, he was forced to because of the sale of Matic.

Why sign Bakayoko if we already had Matic though? 

Also, Costa would have had to stay if Conte didn't upset him. It was unprofessional on Costa's end to have a strop and refuse to return, but Conte really should have kept things civil even if they weren't getting along. The whole situation should and could have been handled better. Whether Costa wanted to leave or not, the club wouldn't have let him leave unless he honoured his contract. 

5 minutes ago, enigma said:

Also, Costa would have had to stay if Conte didn't upset him. It was unprofessional on Costa's end to have a strop and refuse to return, but Conte really should have kept things civil even if they weren't getting along. The whole situation should and could have been handled better. Whether Costa wanted to leave or not, the club wouldn't have let him leave unless he honoured his contract. 

There is no controlling a player like Costa, I'll back Conte over him any day. 

6 hours ago, adineen98 said:

Conte has been confirmed as the preferred candidate to take over as Italy manager.

I think that all but cements his departure at the end of the season.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/antonio-conte-chelsea-future-summer-italy-fa-next-job-sack-race-a8191271.html

No idea why it's even newsworthy, he already said he'll reject any offers in the summer and wants to stay. 

9 minutes ago, enigma said:

We signed Bakayoko because we needed more options in midfield, Matic wasn't reliable enough to keep that position uncontested.

Costa would have stayed if Conte didn't upset him? Costa had been upsetting the squad for 3 years. There was no way Costa was staying this season, he wanted out of England more than ever. He would have finished his holidays and put in a transfer request as soon as he returned for pre-season training. Even if the club said no to the transfer request, it would have done us no good. Costa would have just sulked his way through another half of a season, offered the team nothing in attack for months, and then his value would decrease. There are only so many times you can put up with that. What Conte did is seen by some as unprofessional, they may be right, but what i took from it was somebody that wasn't willing to wait around. We couldn't afford to go months with our striker not putting in the effort again. Each of the 3 season's that happened with Costa, we have had to slog our way through games.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I wish someone could tell the pundits on TV this.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

We signed Bakayoko because we needed more options in midfield, Matic wasn't reliable enough to keep that position uncontested.

Costa would have stayed if Conte didn't upset him? Costa had been upsetting the squad for 3 years. There was no way Costa was staying this season, he wanted out of England more than ever. He would have finished his holidays and put in a transfer request as soon as he returned for pre-season training. Even if the club said no to the transfer request, it would have done us no good. Costa would have just sulked his way through another half of a season, offered the team nothing in attack for months, and then his value would decrease. There are only so many times you can put up with that. What Conte did is seen by some as unprofessional, they may be right, but what i took from it was somebody that wasn't willing to wait around. We couldn't afford to go months with our striker not putting in the effort again. Each of the 3 season's that happened with Costa, we have had to slog our way through games.

Costa was leaving full stop but no one can back the childish txt message from Conte, that was very immature and I can see how that can piss a lot of people off like other players and the board. You sit a player down and tell them face to face, Conte bottled it and had to send a txt message, that's one thing the club did do well and got a nice fee after that debacle.

Costa leaving full stop makes no excuses in the sh*t way it was dealt with.

7 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

I don't go along with this 'blame Conte' stuff. Sure, he's made mistakes but it comes down to the players to produce the results. Both the Barca and the MU matches were winnable and the tactics were good. We didn't win either but can you honestly say that united deserved to beat us and that Barca weren't lucky?

Can't work both ways, when we won last season it was apparently mostly down to him, he can't get all the credit and none of the blame.

A few questions that I would like to know from Conte:

1. A few games ago, when he kept playing Bakayoko, did he purposely want to make a point to the club, that the summer signings are not his preferable choice ?
  2. When Morata is not suited for a particular match, is it more logical to employ Hazard as "false 9" than using Giroud ?
    Hazard as "false 9" has a limitation in his performance.
  3. Willian and Fabregras are not young anymore, but the creativity of them are vital, since he is employing Hazard as "false 9".
    What is the purpose of buying Barkley and Drinkwater, if you don't want to start employing them regularly ?

14 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:

And in both the opposition made changes scored and Conte did not have a match winning response. 

He can set teams up well yet seems unable to respond quickly enough to the oppositions changes and so gets caught out in the big matches.

Taking Hazard off every game and his inability to make game changing substitutions is his most annoying trait. When you have a truly world class player such as Hazard you leave them on as they can always have that game changing, moment of magic. As for the Utd game, everyone could see Morata wasn't up for it so why doesn't he sub him off for someone that actually wants to give it a go? 

13 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Costa was leaving full stop but no one can back the childish txt message from Conte, that was very immature and I can see how that can piss a lot of people off like other players and the board. You sit a player down and tell them face to face, Conte bottled it and had to send a txt message, that's one thing the club did do well and got a nice fee after that debacle.

Costa leaving full stop makes no excuses in the sh*t way it was dealt with.

We still don't know for certain that text message was sent with that exact content. Nobody has seen it, we only have Costa's word for it, as far as I'm concerned not the most objective source in this case. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye, in which neither party has covered himself with glory probably.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

We still don't know for certain that text message was sent with that exact content. Nobody has seen it, we only have Costa's word for it, as far as I'm concerned not the most objective source in this case. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye, in which neither party has covered himself with glory probably.

Costa is a prick, he will score goals but he was disruptive and annoying. No one can say for certain what happened just like January's move to China aswell. If the txt message was true it's just awful management and I can't see how anyone can back that.