JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

9 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Then if that's your logical rebuttal, his post still applies to your reasoning. Pep has had huge transfer backing and still had the audacity to go on about transfers, every manager in the league has complained about transfers at some point. 

Complaining and putting a point in once in a while is acceptable. Using it as a stick to beat down the board, the current players, the new recruits from May to March is "unprofessional", not really tough to get the difference.

You can also compare him to Klopp and Poch who despite a lower budget have gone on to do their business this season. You dont see those managers cribbing and moaning at every press conference, pre-match and post match interview.

I’d be happy if Conte delivers same approach to the previous leg against Barcelona.

I know we did awful against City, but Barcelona will give us more space and on another day we would have scored 3/4 which is pretty impressive tbf.

If we’re clinical tonight with same level of performance then I don’t see why we can’t score 2/3 goals.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Huge difference in the way that Pep Guardiola has been bankrolled at City compared to Conte at Chelsea though, that's a pretty apples and oranges comparison. 

And this is the Pep who played a game without a full quota of subs a few days after they didnt sign Mahrez...which I`m sure was just a co-incidence and definitely not him making a point...

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

If we’re clinical tonight with same level of performance then I don’t see why we can’t score 2/3 goals.

Playing at Stamford Bridge is completely different to playing at the Camp Nou. Barcelona have conceded 6 goals at home in 13 games. They've also scored 38. We've lost our last 3 away games including the no show at City who are very similiar playing wise to Barcelona, City maybe abit pacer and direct. Can Chelsea score 2-3 there? Of course, football is football. Take your chances. But will they on current form? Mentality, tactically and confidence wise it's not the same Chelsea of years gone by who had a hold on Barcelona. Yes, we still matchup well against them. But realistically we missed our big chance in London. There has to be onetime where Barcelona play their A-game and break this Chelsea spell that Chelsea have on them. On paper it's a win for Barcelona, and onetime it will happen where we get beaten by 2 or 3. But just not tonight, please. 

Finally we can get rid of him once and for all. Very negative in both his football and his mentality. Already started with the we're going to have to "suffer" nonsense. You don't hear Guardiola saying that. You don't hear Klopp saying his team will have to suffer. You don't even hear Pochettino say it. 3-0 loss and he'll try and spin it to something positive. Just get rid. 

7 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Finally we can get rid of him once and for all. Very negative in both his football and his mentality. Already started with the we're going to have to "suffer" nonsense. You don't hear Guardiola saying that. You don't hear Klopp saying his team will have to suffer. You don't even hear Pochettino say it. 3-0 loss and he'll try and spin it to something positive. Just get rid. 

How was he negative today? We went for it. He gave the fans what they wanted. We lost 3-0. I don’t have that same horrible feeling tonight like I had after the city game. 

1 minute ago, Munkworth said:

How was he negative today? We went for it. He gave the fans what they wanted. We lost 3-0. I don’t have that same horrible feeling tonight like I had after the city game. 

He didn't go for sh*t. Looking threatening after being down 2-0 after Barcelona gave us the ball to play. Why not go for it in your own backyward when you have a realistic chance to win? But no, 25% possession at Stamford Bridge and a couple of speculative long distance shots for a multimillion pound assembled side. 

Just now, The Liquidator said:

He didn't go for sh*t. Looking threatening after being down 2-0 after Barcelona gave us the ball to play. Why not go for it in your own backyward when you have a realistic chance to win? But no, 25% possession at Stamford Bridge and a couple of speculative long distance shots for a multimillion pound assembled side. 

Well we didn’t have much of a chance to go for it with it at 0-0 did we? I agree he’s been very negative as of late but not this game. 

We went for it much more over these 2 legs than we did when we got past Barca on the way winning the Champions League in 2012. A combination of mistakes and bad luck led to a different result this time. Conte has rightly been blamed for some poor results recently but I don't think you can blame him tonight.

22 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Well we didn’t have much of a chance to go for it with it at 0-0 did we? I agree he’s been very negative as of late but not this game. 

only because they scored early we literally had no choice and Barca being up 4-1 on aggregate they can afford to be more pragmatic

I just find it interesting how Conte doesn't come in for more criticism by going for a very conservative approach at home and basically making it mission impossible at Camp Nou. 

The home game was a very underwhelming performance by us but Conte through the media managed to paint it in a positive light. It really wasn't.  We didn't create anything meaningful and barely touched the ball. He also blundered by playing Hazard out of position but everyone has forgotten about it. We were never going to go past Barca but Conte has done a poor job. Even Basel v City looked more competitve than us vs Barcelona.  

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Curse of modern football I'm afraid- piss taking management looking for a payoff, (!why can't he just be straight and admit he's had his head turned or he's just plain homesick, rather than play this silly hard done by in the transfer market charade ); Crying all the way to the bank it's known as.

Nb: result today about as bookies would have predicted, my comments are in connection with his usual funeral parlour post match condition.

Edited by Ewell CFC

I thought we done well tonight and certainly didn’t deserve the 3-0 scoreline, so I can’t really blame Conte for this one.

At least we played like a big team compared to the Man City game.

We lack a world class striker and it showed tonight.

Edited by 2211

Looks to me like we might struggle to sell Courtois after tonight with that huge tv audience.

I don't hold anything against Conte tonight, think it was just errors that cost us both in defence and in attack.

The only difference I would have made would have been to have Fabregas on the bench and Drinkwater on though the latter was not even on the bench. 

28 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Looks to me like we might struggle to sell Courtois after tonight with that huge tv audience.

I don't hold anything against Conte tonight, think it was just errors that cost us both in defence and in attack.

The only difference I would have made would have been to have Fabregas on the bench and Drinkwater on though the latter was not even on the bench. 

In hind sight after looking at the entire match I would have

1. Drinkwater For Fabergas to shore up the defense.

2. Zappacosta for Moses cos, Zappacostas played much better and his height and physicality troubled the Barca player

3. Brought in Pedro for Giroud and moved Hazard to the #9 position (i know i know - we tried that in leg 1). Bring on Morata did nothing. We played with a scarecrow.