JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

There's been a sense of inevitability for most of the season that Conte will not be coaching us next season, and I think subconsciously that's had an effect on the playing group. In essence, they've emotionally checked out and are simply going through the motions until the season concludes. Football is such a competitive game that it only requires the personnel being a couple of percent off their best (physically and mentally) to decline.

The first sign of trouble began in the off-season when Conte was unwilling to extend the duration of his contract despite a well-earned pay rise, which spoke volumes of a man who wasn't committed for the long haul after a highly successful first season, and when the summer signings were not to his liking this culminated in further problems.

Although in saying that, there's been a common trend with the club's inability to back its managers adequately in the transfer market after we win the title. It happened to Ancelotti in 2010 when we sold some experienced players but didn't replace them. It blew up in our faces in 2015 when Mourinho threw his toys out of the cot and it seems history has repeated itself albeit not as severely as the events of two seasons ago.

If we want to salvage anything from the season, then winning the FA Cup would be a nice way to see Conte off if he is leaving as most expect.

2 hours ago, coco said:

He's right about the quality though, would we be happier if he kept that bit quiet ? probably not.

He made his point then repeated it again and again and again etc...it can only have negative effect on current squad to be told you're not good enough, while trying to absolve himself of any blame for things going wrong

What a difference a year makes. This time last season I was so taken with our new manager, who despite not getting the players he'd asked for managed to put together a brilliant title winning side, which was just what the doctor ordered after the 2015-16 10th place fiasco. 

Now it's the opposite feeling. i still blame the board and owner for not backing him in the transfer market but that's no excuse for giving up and bitching and moaning at every opportunity about your hard lot in life. Disgraceful is what I call it. Magnificent in his first season and absolute shambles in the second. It's not even that we've been losing, it's the defeatist attitude coming from someone whose job is to motivate the players.

I've already said it on this very thread, he should have walked in the summer, I'm sure he would have had no problem getting a job in a top club after the title winning season. If he's such a man of principle that he reminds everyone who'd listen at every presser how he was let down by the club, why not just leave and go where you'll be appreciated? No, he chose money and a bigger contract for the same duration. So why then are you constantly bitching how tough your job is? Non one forced you to stay. Shut the f**k up and get on with it. 

We have a separate thread to discuss how sh*t our board is, so I won't mention them here. But there's simply no excuse to fail like the team did this season. Cry all you want about broken promises, about the players you didn't get, and crappy players you got instead, the fact is, you've had more than enough to finish in a top four spot and you f**ked up. This is on you.

Edited by abramovich

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

i still blame the board and owner for not backing him in the transfer market

Hang on a minute, great poster you are aside, what does this actually mean ? "Not backing him" does it mean we have not spent enough money in backing him ? or we didn't pick the players he asked for ? Did he ask for any players ? Was he even asked who he wanted ? Sure he isn't happy, that's obvious, but isn't he just not happy because were losing and he is saying "well i told you so months ago" in his head ?

The problem isn't Conte, but the person picking who we spend our money on, the only person who is unaccountable.

Let's hope he see's sense.

There are 4 equally good teams apart from us this season. We have no God given right to finish in the top 4. Spurs are the only one like us who didn't spend a lot but they also didn't have some core players leaving and were playing under the manager a lot longer than Conte.

We deserve to be in 5th as we aren't a top 4 side this year irrespective of who the manager is.

this season he has had tougher competition from a better city, an improved utd, and even an improved liverpool side. spurs have been about the same as they were last season. his ideas, unfortunately, have remained the same and it's led to this season being a disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, JoseBlues said:

There are 4 equally good teams apart from us this season. We have no God given right to finish in the top 4. Spurs are the only one like us who didn't spend a lot but they also didn't have some core players leaving and were playing under the manager a lot longer than Conte.

We deserve to be in 5th as we aren't a top 4 side this year irrespective of who the manager is.

BIB, we spent far more than Spurs!

we don't draw to a poor arsenal side at home; lose away to west ham; lose to bournemouth 0-3; lose to watford 1-4 away; draw to leicester at home. these are games we should be dominating and winning, at least at home. the others away we should be getting at least draws from. we were outplayed at home by arsenal, dominated by leicester and lucky to come away with a draw at home, beaten soundly by bournemouth, and capitulated vs watford. we really should have gotten at least 8 points from those games. it's not good enough. 

Edited by enigma

3 minutes ago, coco said:

Hang on a minute, great poster you are aside, what does this actually mean ? "Not backing him" does it mean we have not spent enough money in backing him ? or we didn't pick the players he asked for ? Did he ask for any players ? Was he even asked who he wanted ? Sure he isn't happy, that's obvious, but isn't he just not happy because were losing and he is saying "well i told you so months ago" in his head ?

The problem isn't Conte, but the person picking who we spend our money on, the only person who is unaccountable.

Let's hope he see's sense.

No, I don't think he got the players he'd asked for. And given that he overachieved in his first season with no backing in the transfer market I believe he had the right to feel angry with the board for letting him down again. Now, if at this point he'd told them where to go and left, I'd have nothing but respect and gratitude for Antonio Conte, but he chose to line up his pockets and proceded to sabotage our season while making sure everyone knew it wasn't his, but club's fault that we're playing so badly.

Clearly there's a rift between the board and the manager. Our board operates in a way that they treat each new manager as an employee. We give you the players we can get and you do your best with them, and if we're unhappy with the performances/results, out the door you go. Doesn't mean they don't listen to his suggestions, but that's what it is for them, a suggestion. I guess Conte counted on having more power in key decisions regarding the transfers and he was frustrated when he never got what he wanted. And the longer it went on, the more frustrated he got. My problem with him is that he allowed his emotions get in the way of doing his job and we all, the team, the board and most importantly, the fans, suffered as a result.

For me a breakdown between the board and Conte.

Conte off his own back 'dismissed' Costa - this pissed the board off.

After getting Morata they bought Bakayoko (Conte's target) yet then paid lip service with the other buys that have hardly figured. Palmieri was an exception and also a Conte signing.

Luiz was unhappy about the Costa situation and has since hardly played.

They are so unhappy about Conte they won't sack him and pay him off and he won't walk.

So we have this strange situation, a standoff.

As a professional I think he does try to win matches except when it comes to substitutions, I called him the clueless one yet am now thinking this is way of putting up two fingers to the board over the lack of good substitions ( a better man might have given Hudson Odoi and a few others a decent chance).

So to sum up for me the relationship between board and manager is broken irreparably.

With the exception of the FA Cup the sooner this season ends the better for the club.

Lol emotional. Of course he will be emotional. He isn't a robot. And what is this talk about tanking our season? He is trying his best. Sure, he has failed tactically in some games as he isn't perfect but he isn't intentionally trying to lose. To be frank, I expected better from you Roman.

Personally I don't think it is a question of conte getting the players he asked for spepcifically.

All signings are obviously hit and miss, and the majority of our signings have been misses so far. Morata and Rudiger have good in spells, but none of the rest have looked worth the money. 

Player recruitment has been pretty poor for the last 2/3 years. We are spending money, but clearly not on the right players. 

With no director of my football in at this point, who is targeting the summer signings coming up? You would think a lot work is already being done in terms of recruitment across Europe, especially with agents and clubs trying to get work transfers in motion before the world cup. 

I'm expecting a disappointing summer again if I'm being honest.

I’ve posted before elsewhere in match day threads, regarding Antonio. If you look at the Squad, players that start and formation it causes all sorts arguments/discussions. This shows no obvious settled side. If we need to change shape there is so many personnel that can’t play in a change.

youth is also a problem, people think it’s a solution.  We bring in Andreas into defence starts well and is ok. Then starts to make mistakes and people want him out! People in the game have stated youth get by on adrenaline at the start and play ok but will hit a brick wall and form will dip. If certain people want youth don’t complain when they make mistakes.

Antonio obviously didn’t get what he wanted. We got rid of a lot of players and bought in some players knowing we had extra games with Chp Lge. Purchases weren’t cheap and as there is no fan clubs for each individual player it shows Antonio was let down. 

3 hours ago, abramovich said:

What a difference a year makes. This time last season I was so taken with our new manager, who despite not getting the players he'd asked for managed to put together a brilliant title winning side, which was just what the doctor ordered after the 2015-16 10th place fiasco. 

Now it's the opposite feeling. i still blame the board and owner for not backing him in the transfer market but that's no excuse for giving up and bitching and moaning at every opportunity about your hard lot in life. Disgraceful is what I call it. Magnificent in his first season and absolute shambles in the second. It's not even that we've been losing, it's the defeatist attitude coming from someone whose job is to motivate the players.

I've already said it on this very thread, he should have walked in the summer, I'm sure he would have had no problem getting a job in a top club after the title winning season. If he's such a man of principle that he reminds everyone who'd listen at every presser how he was let down by the club, why not just leave and go where you'll be appreciated? No, he chose money and a bigger contract for the same duration. So why then are you constantly bitching how tough your job is? Non one forced you to stay. Shut the f**k up and get on with it. 

We have a separate thread to discuss how sh*t our board is, so I won't mention them here. But there's simply no excuse to fail like the team did this season. Cry all you want about broken promises, about the players you didn't get, and crappy players you got instead, the fact is, you've had more than enough to finish in a top four spot and you f**ked up. This is on you.

Great post, and echos my thoughts totally, I bet if any of us moaned about our bosses or work conditions, and put in a performance like Conte has at work this year, we wouldn't be at our job still.

After getting Morata they bought Bakayoko (Conte's target) yet then paid lip service with the other buys that have hardly figured. Palmieri was an exception and also a Conte signing.
They are so unhappy about Conte they won't sack him and pay him off and he won't walk.

As a professional I think he does try to win matches except when it comes to substitutions, I called him the clueless one yet am now thinking this is way of putting up two fingers to the board over the lack of good substitions ( a better man might have given Hudson Odoi and a few others a decent chance).
So to sum up for me the relationship between board and manager is broken irreparably.
With the exception of the FA Cup the sooner this season ends the better for the club.

Rubbish on the Costa dismissal. It's clear as day that Costa wanted out and used a dirty trick to damage Conte.

8 minutes ago, EmeraldBlue said:
2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Rubbish on the Costa dismissal. It's clear as day that Costa wanted out and used a dirty trick to damage Conte.

It's the way he went about it.

4 hours ago, abramovich said:

No, I don't think he got the players he'd asked for. And given that he overachieved in his first season with no backing in the transfer market I believe he had the right to feel angry with the board for letting him down again. Now, if at this point he'd told them where to go and left, I'd have nothing but respect and gratitude for Antonio Conte, but he chose to line up his pockets and proceded to sabotage our season while making sure everyone knew it wasn't his, but club's fault that we're playing so badly.

Clearly there's a rift between the board and the manager. Our board operates in a way that they treat each new manager as an employee. We give you the players we can get and you do your best with them, and if we're unhappy with the performances/results, out the door you go. Doesn't mean they don't listen to his suggestions, but that's what it is for them, a suggestion. I guess Conte counted on having more power in key decisions regarding the transfers and he was frustrated when he never got what he wanted. And the longer it went on, the more frustrated he got. My problem with him is that he allowed his emotions get in the way of doing his job and we all, the team, the board and most importantly, the fans, suffered as a result.

i mentioned this somewhere else, can't remember what thread, but by several accounts (none official, so take what you will from what I'm about to say), Conte actually was halfway out the door this past summer, then the club gave him his new contract and he stayed.  However, in sorting that fiasco out seemingly some of the targets Conte had identified had all already moved on or signed contract extensions/larger buyout clauses.

It is why I wish the club would sort themselves out in the transfer market quickly and efficiently.  The more these things drag on, waiting for the Hollywood signing or whatever, the more chance you have of something messing up.

Anyway, thought I'd share that "insider" story (again, i'm not claiming to be the insider here)

8 hours ago, abramovich said:

This is the only time despite AVB that I've seen so many people content with sacking Conte. I remember when Jose got the sack after a horrible period of continuous losses and obvious player rebellion, there were still so many fans that were more upset and angry at the player power and the sacking of Mourinho. Just look at the Mourinho thread if you don't believe me, first few pages, it's currently in the rival section. 

Even with AVB I never saw so many people who were against the manager. Because all Conte appears to care about is his own brand, there's quite a bit of evidence that shows he's trying to deflect all the blame from himself. How many managers have you seen who've walked on mutual benefit? Did we not just see Pardew go yesterday. Now completely different scenario I know but if Conte was a man of principle like you just brought up then he would have left in the summer before he found out the club was not going to pursue his targets.

Surely Conte must have already have known the situation before he signed his contract, that he doesn't have a lot of say, that we aren't going to chase down all the players he wants for huge fees.

It's hard to trust him, now I've already made it clear in the matchday thread that I don't know the entire situation so I'm not going to contradict myself here. I'm just saying what it feels like, to me, it looks like Conte is prioritising his pay cheque over everything else and he's blaming a lot of shortcomings on himself. Despite the merry-go-round of managers going and player power rebellions, there is something a bit different here.

When AVB first came here he wanted to sign multiple players, he wanted Alexis Sanchez, Barcelona signed him, he wanted to bring in Alvaro Pereira, Porto wanted more than 20 million for him and we would offer 18 at most. He wanted Luka Modric and we chased him all summer only to end up with Raul Meireles in the last minute. He didn't want players like Lukaku who we signed anyway and expected AVB to just make due with him (he ended up playing on the wing now and then and did nothing). But I can't remember AVB bitching in the press before and after every game for not getting his targets, and AVB got played a much worse hand than Conte ever did let's face it.

There is something deeply wrong with the board and player power, we have been the British Real Madrid for years minus the galactico signings and huge spending fees. However Conte is not innocent and he definitely has to share a lot of blame for this season, and the worst part about it is he might have done some of it on purpose for selfish reasons, I really hope that's not the case though.

Edited by Slojo

11 hours ago, abramovich said:

I thought he specifically wanted Baka and Morata, that’s 100m spent his way, and two key positions filled. Both signings have not lived up to expectations - being very kind to Baka there. 

For me Conte has acted like the spoilt kid who hasn’t got EVERYTHING he asked for at Christmas.

Edited by Blue Exile

1 hour ago, Blue Exile said:

I thought he specifically wanted Baka and Morata, that’s 100m spent his way, and two key positions filled. Both signings have not lived up to expectations - being very kind to Baka there. 

For me Conte has acted like the spoilt kid who hasn’t got EVERYTHING he asked for at Christmas.

Dread to think what it's like at Conte Towers at night when Mrs Conte says she has a migraine!!!! 

It’s not hard to have a lot of sympathy for Conte. He never got over the sh*tshow that was the summer of 2017 and while you could argue he needed to “forgive” the club and work miracles again as he did in his first season here you could understand why he couldn’t.

The Matic-disaster alone would be enough for any top manager to consider mutiny. Top class midfielder sold to the managers biggest rival and replace him with an average workmanlike PL-midfielder in Danny Drinkwater.
Not to mention they did nothing to add much needed depth to the squad which had great implications to Alonsos form throughout the season for example.

14 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

b.s.

Conte said it clearly, that he have zero word about the transfers and every transfer that the board make is not his choice.

He wanted Lukaku, they bring Morata.
He clearly said he wanted Walker/Danilo and Mendy/Sandro they bring him Zapacostta and Emerson Palmeri.

He wanted Tolliso, they bring Bakayoko ....

He wanted Bonucci/Van Dajk, they get him Rudiger.

He wanted Dzeko, they bring Giroud .....

Bakayoko is long term target, he is not Conte choice. And Conte said by himself he wanted Matic to stay in the team. The board sell him.

Conte also wanted Kolibali, Bonucci, Van Dajk, Chamberlane, Candreva, Dzeko, Sanchez, Vidal and so on, and the board brings complete different players ....

They bring injured players that cost less.

This is so wrong, someone else to make the transfers ....

If you choice manager, and he show you, he is good enough, and you pay him so much, and at the end his head is on the line, then he should be making the squad and transfers.

Thats how a club should be run.

Okay the board could said to him, look we have policy to bring expense players, who is young, untill 25, so we can use it for long time, and at the begining of the season, they should said to him, this is your budget for the season, no matter if its 100m, 200m, 300m, 500m. get what you want, and our scouts will help you.

Then he said his target and they should try the best to bring it to the club.

See what Conte said:

“I think the club decide our transfer market. As I said before, my task is to try to improve the team. About the transfer market, from the summer, the club decides every single player.”

Edited by brakeit