Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:09, Davey Baby said:

I'd be happy with 5th place, especially after what happened last season. I'd be happy with relegation. I'd sooner have been relegated than have the FSW managing us. I think many would have been okay with 5th this season, given the loss of personnel last summer, Terry, Matic and Costa and so on. I just want a manager that wants to manage us. I want a manager that wants to be at Chelsea. A manager that occasionally puts the needs of the club that employs him before his own ego. Conte gets paid a cool 8 million a year to manage us. You'd think the least he could do is focus on getting the best out of his troops. You'd think the least he could do is try to motivate them rather than moping about the place with a face like a slapped arse, moaning about the board to anyone that will listen, falling out with any player with a personality. I want a manager that is committed to the club. Conte is committed to nobody but himself, a bit like our previous narcissistic manager. Forgive me for being sick and tired of it.

Narcissistic? quite a lot of I's in that post. I've had a great day and am extremely drunk but what would you measure as a good job after two years ?

Edited by bluehaze

If you read between the lines of many of Antonio's comments, there are constant, yet subtle digs at the board.  

Saying with these players we did the maximum is basically telling the squad "congratulations guys, you got 5th and an fa cup, which is some achievement because a lot of you are f**king sh*te"  -  it would drive me nuts hearing that. How can you expect a squad to still respect you fully with that sort of talk

That is why the board seem to be considering sacking him, not finishing 5th (although it will have some bearing)

Edited by RickUK

I think Conte is playing that card to blame the board a bit too much.
I personally blame him for not making Morata the new standard striker that would have replaced Costa, he said many times that he likes Morata and that he worked with him in the past and blabla whatnot but that whole thing didn't work out and you can't be among the top 4 without a proper striker it just doesn't work, we don't even need someone like Salah that will score 30+ or 40+ goals we just needed a striker that can score 20 goals in the league, that was it. And Morata was unable to fill in that role, at some point we were second right behind City and then the whole team suddenly stopped scoring and stopped playing normally and Morata was having some back problems and in the end in January Conte wanted Dzeko, didn't get him and the board gave him Giroud - he did his role well so I wouldn't complain that much but Conte kept doing it...

Conte had some amazing games this season, this final was one of them for sure, in the past the 1-null wins were very respected so I give credit where it's due but lets not forget that he wanted some particular players and he actually did get them.
Examples are Zappacosta,Emerson,Rudiger so for me I think he could have stopped with the passive-aggressive bashing of the board and if he had tried to make peace and continue working normally maybe it would have been different in the end, he is a strong personality there is no doubt about that it's the main reason why Diego Costa left and why Willian now is looking to leave as well which makes me super sad and it does look like the attitude of David Luiz affected Conte as well and he just somehow stopped counting on him and officially he's injured but I'm not really sure if that's true.

Edited by Gol15

I still think he should get another year.

he is not a bad coach, he has delivered 2 trophies in 2 seasons, and hasn’t got full backing from the board.

i do think if he stayed he will put it right next season by at least finishing top3 with possibly another trophy.

He won't get another season because he doesn't want another season. It's so obvious from the interviews today 

He said playing that way (defensivly) was the only way to get succes with these players...which is another firing shot to the board and players. Then you had the p,ayers saying basically they would like to be more attacking 

It's clear there are too many divides between the board, manager and players for it to work again next season.

We were lucky today because 2nd half we played sh*t football and rode our luck, he didn't make any posiive changes when we really needed them. We won and I thank him for last season and the final but his time is up because he isn't interested anymore and it shows big time. 

Edited by Chelsbear

Well, I've just got home from celebrating, I've really enjoyed myself and I want to thank the players and Conte, winning when you least expect it is just amazing. 

Now I've always sat on the fence, but I think it's time Conte moved on. I think that's what's best for the club, I don't like his tactics, his negativity, his substitutions, I think the best move for the club would be to get a new manager with different ideas for a change. 

Not the alcohol talking, that's what I firmly believe after assessing everything, thank you Conte, but I think it's best if we both parted ways. 

55 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

He won't get another season because he doesn't want another season. It's so obvious from the interviews today 

He said playing that way (defensivly) was the only way to get succes with these players...which is another firing shot to the board and players. Then you had the p,ayers saying basically they would like to be more attacking 

It's clear there are too many divides between the board, manager and players for it to work again next season.

We were lucky today because 2nd half we played sh*t football and rode our luck, he didn't make any posiive changes when we really needed them. We won and I thank him for last season and the final but his time is up because he isn't interested anymore and it shows big time. 

My concern is I felt like Tibo & Hazard have echoed Contes feelings recently. They’ve had shots that’s the club need to spend to compete. That’s exactly what Conte has said all year. The board have a massive decision to make soon as if we don’t spend to compete, they’ll both be off.

38 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

My concern is I felt like Tibo & Hazard have echoed Contes feelings recently. They’ve had shots that’s the club need to spend to compete. That’s exactly what Conte has said all year. The board have a massive decision to make soon as if we don’t spend to compete, they’ll both be off.

It's a fair point. Hazard says we need to sign good player and it's a call to action. Conte does the same and he's moaning.

If we signed good players there is no other manager I'd have right now than Conte. 

19 minutes ago, brakeit said:

No one can play attacking football with this players. Good luck with that, if you think we will have success with exactly this players and attacking football.

Conte said that the player restrict the style, and if we play more attacking(he said open) game against top team, because of the type of players we have, we lose this type of matches, and that`s why if we want to win, we played like that.

He said that after the final.

Good luck to play attacking football with only 1 class attacking player in Hazard side.

Fabregas is so slow and so bad, he is getting outrun by 40 year old defenders. He can`t even shot, because he is so slow, and he recieve the ball so, so slow.

We don`t have quality passers, neither quality players that can hold the game and have creativity in them. Only Fabregas is creative, but he is slow as hell, and he can`t hold the ball, because enemies player beat him and took him the ball in zero time.

Willan lack consistency big time. From the whole season he have 10 good matches, the rest he is shadow.

Last season we scored more then any other team, except Tottenham, because they scored 20 goals in their last 5 games against team that fight for nothing.

Even Guardiola with technical players, needed reinforcement, that fit his style.

You can`t play attacking minded football if you don`t have the right player for it.

Kante is insane in defence, but has zero in attacking. Bakayoko is a little bit above zero in both direction. Our WB aren`t top notch. Tho i have to say, Alonso is good, but he lack speed big time. And Moses is so so, but he is not even top class, you can even said that he is very good.

To be playing good football, you need a lot better players then this. You need quality midfielder, who can pass, has creativity in them, can build the game and have solid shots from distance, as well as can hold the ball, when needed.

Players like Toni Kroos or Modric.

So whatever the manager is, how exactly you want us to play attacking football with that exact squad?

In most attacking minded team, like City, Real, Barsa, even their central defenders, can pass the ball very good and can play against high press.

We don`t have such defenders, we don`t have such midfielders, and only 1 good winger, that is all.

Thanks Conte for all you did and for the 2 trophies that you give us.

I do think this would be our last 2 solid trophie for some time, but let`s hope i`m wrong, but with this policy ....

It`s funny, what the next manager should do, to keep his job ? He has to make double in his first season, then repeat, to not get SACKED?

When the next season start and the same sh**** repeat all over again, some people will pray for a manager like Conte, and they will finally understand how good he was and the real problem was Marina !!!

And again i will be RIGHT, just like i was back in the summer, when i said with this buys and leave it so late, we will crazy problems and not qualify for CL.

First part is right. You can't expect us to play like City or Pool because we don't have the players for that. Conte had played to our squad's strength. I can debate whether he would set us up differently if we had Vidal instead of DD or Lukaku instead of Morata but that's all hypothetical. 

Today was the last straw for me. We won but it was bc United are inept at attacking imo. The subs were ridiculous and it's really discouraging to see us play so negative in a winner take all final. In the league, where it's ok to get a draw here and there that's an understandable approach but today we needed a win and the approach was inadequate 

1 hour ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

First part is right. You can't expect us to play like City or Pool because we don't have the players for that. Conte had played to our squad's strength. I can debate whether he would set us up differently if we had Vidal instead of DD or Lukaku instead of Morata but that's all hypothetical. 

Today was the last straw for me. We won but it was bc United are inept at attacking imo. The subs were ridiculous and it's really discouraging to see us play so negative in a winner take all final. In the league, where it's ok to get a draw here and there that's an understandable approach but today we needed a win and the approach was inadequate 

I think its better to play like that in a cup final or sf instead of a league match. We needed to grind the result and we did that. Conte knew if his team keeps the ball and knocks at united door, they will counter us hard (Old Trafford match) So he gave them the ball n sat deep after scoring. Call it negative or whatever but for me, it was a master stroke from Conte and his Avg bunch of lads (barring Belgian Magician)

10 hours ago, fitz said:

Have you ever heard so many noncommittal responses about a manager from players who have literally just won a major trophy? It sounds like they had all prepared their answers before the game irrespective of what the result might be. If Conte stays I suspect there might be major player unrest next season.

True, not a single player has openly spoken positively about him or the future with him

4 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Winning a Cup was the last straw for you? I had to read that twice to make sure I hadn't misunderstood you.

That'll do me. Chelsea fans just jumped the shark. 

Edited by Spiller86
8 hours ago, brakeit said:

No one can play attacking football with this players. Good luck with that, if you think we will have success with exactly this players and attacking football.

Conte said that the player restrict the style, and if we play more attacking(he said open) game against top team, because of the type of players we have, we lose this type of matches, and that`s why if we want to win, we played like that.

He said that after the final.

Good luck to play attacking football with only 1 class attacking player in Hazard side.

Fabregas is so slow and so bad, he is getting outrun by 40 year old defenders. He can`t even shot, because he is so slow, and he recieve the ball so, so slow.

We don`t have quality passers, neither quality players that can hold the game and have creativity in them. Only Fabregas is creative, but he is slow as hell, and he can`t hold the ball, because enemies player beat him and took him the ball in zero time.

Willan lack consistency big time. From the whole season he have 10 good matches, the rest he is shadow.

Last season we scored more then any other team, except Tottenham, because they scored 20 goals in their last 5 games against team that fight for nothing.

Even Guardiola with technical players, needed reinforcement, that fit his style.

You can`t play attacking minded football if you don`t have the right player for it.

Kante is insane in defence, but has zero in attacking. Bakayoko is a little bit above zero in both direction. Our WB aren`t top notch. Tho i have to say, Alonso is good, but he lack speed big time. And Moses is so so, but he is not even top class, you can even said that he is very good.

To be playing good football, you need a lot better players then this. You need quality midfielder, who can pass, has creativity in them, can build the game and have solid shots from distance, as well as can hold the ball, when needed.

Players like Toni Kroos or Modric.

So whatever the manager is, how exactly you want us to play attacking football with that exact squad?

In most attacking minded team, like City, Real, Barsa, even their central defenders, can pass the ball very good and can play against high press.

We don`t have such defenders, we don`t have such midfielders, and only 1 good winger, that is all.

Thanks Conte for all you did and for the 2 trophies that you give us.

I do think this would be our last 2 solid trophie for some time, but let`s hope i`m wrong, but with this policy ....

It`s funny, what the next manager should do, to keep his job ? He has to make double in his first season, then repeat, to not get SACKED?

When the next season start and the same sh**** repeat all over again, some people will pray for a manager like Conte, and they will finally understand how good he was and the real problem was Marina !!!

And again i will be RIGHT, just like i was back in the summer, when i said with this buys and leave it so late, we will crazy problems and not qualify for CL.

Mostly valid points here brakeit, although i think most of us can claim to being wise after the event. The lack of stellar signings in the summer and the inclusion of mediocre crocked players like Barkley was always going to result in a frustrating season.

Whilst your assessment of the players is pretty accurate i do think that Bakayoko is getting used to england and is definitely improving. He may be a slow burner and could take off next year. Conte's treatment fo Luiz was poor management which definitely weakened us. Finally with enough bravery to throw in more of the kids which hopefully will develop its own team camaraderie could give us a much better dynamic of attacking football from a young team with the winning mentality of the existing more senior players.

With the resources we already have we may just need a better attitude from management to galvanise the squad and perhaps one big name signing up top to lay a marker down.

Realistically it seems the best option to appease the mostly negative media output about us and the fans, especially as we are not going to appeal to the big big players because we are out of the CL.

6 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Agreed but let's not forget palyers are fickle. If we ended up bringing back Bats and put Mason Mount in for Fabregas, played Callum Hudson-Odoi for the probably Man U bound Willian and Baka continued to improve into an effective midfielder that linked up play and added an attacking threat the players would be happy with their lot. If Morata then starting scoring (personally i think he has more chance of growing a new arse) or if we signed one big scoring striker to play with Bats then the players would be able to attack more and would be happy without us having to wade into the market.

A long winded answer to say we may already have the tools here, we're just too scared to use them.

I think the board should just come to Hazard and say;  'we've got a warchest of 200m this summer and we are going to invest big. Would you prefer that Conte was the manager, or would you prefer Sarri?' 

I'd imagine he would prefer Sarri so that he can play more attacking.. 

Weirdly i think whatever option the board choose, there won't be uproar.  I think a lot of fans would keep him if he played a bit more attacking football and got backed in the market.

Also, i think a lot of fans want him to go and are happy he can leave on a high.  Tough one, winning today though i am starting to think he might get a longer stay.  

Had we lost, id have been in no doubt he is going.. not so sure now
Those fans that want him gone are simply confused!
Bringing in a new manager is a gamble, any manager coming here will still need funds to strengthen this team.
Conte has won two major trophy without the board giving him the players he wants. Why not support him by strengthening the team in areas he wants and then judge him afterwards. I just don't know why that is more difficult to do than bringing in a new manager that will still want to sign players that will fit his pattern yet we don't know maybe he end up a failure at the middle of the season and then by January we will start wondering who the next manager will be again.
I still think he should get another year.

he is not a bad coach, he has delivered 2 trophies in 2 seasons, and hasn’t got full backing from the board.
i do think if he stayed he will put it right next season by at least finishing top3 with possibly another trophy.
I also want him to stay, but if the board won't give him the players he wants it's best for him to move on.
City had a great season because their board gave Pep what he wanted. Liverpool are having a great season because their board gave Klopp what he wanted(ask yourself where Liverpool will be if Klopp had given up on Van diyk and sign another defender of if their board had not support that signing despite the fee being too much) yet we are not backing our manager but we want him to always succeed. Seems most of us are not being realistic!
What if the players saying they will like to play a more attacking game actually means they also want the board to support the manager by bringing in players that will make the team play a more attacking game. Well, am very certain that is what Hazard want.
Let's look at it this way, if Willian had started the game today instead of Bakayoko or Fabregas in a 3-4-3 formation, yes we will play that attacking game we want and will have chances to score, but given the fact that we don't have a world class striker, if we don't take our chances we will be punished at the other end because Bakayoko or Fabregas always struggle in a 3-4-3 formation. It often leaves Kante and the defenders with so much work to do. But that would have been a different case if we were having an energetic midfielder like Naingollan, Vidal, Koke, Dembele or Veratti pairing Kante in the midfield, that will give the team balance and so much freedom to attack.
So the blame is still on the board and even players knows it, but none of them want to come out and BELL THE CAT.
35 minutes ago, Luca Vialli said:

I don't buy that. The impetus comes from the manager. Klopp is playing high lauded attacking football with some really mediocre midfield options.

Think Brakeit might be trolling with some of his posts. Bar Liverpool’s front 3 & Van Dijk, they have no business in a CL final & finishing above us. 

I am not buying Conte’s narrative that this is the best he could do with this team, a brilliant manager would adapt his setup to players he has at his disposal not the other way round. I also don’t think you can fully judge most of these players because of the way he sets up his team.

Well, I've just got home from celebrating, I've really enjoyed myself and I want to thank the players and Conte, winning when you least expect it is just amazing. 
Now I've always sat on the fence, but I think it's time Conte moved on. I think that's what's best for the club, I don't like his tactics, his negativity, his substitutions, I think the best move for the club would be to get a new manager with different ideas for a change. 
Not the alcohol talking, that's what I firmly believe after assessing everything, thank you Conte, but I think it's best if we both parted ways. 
It's so easy to forget Conte wasn't a defensive manager last season when Fabregas or Matic can pair Kante in the midfield in a 3-4-3 formation which worked well for us. But overnight Conte became a defensive manager when Fabregas is no longer good enough and the board couldn't get a better replacement than the young Bakayoko who haven't adapted to the league. And Conte had no choice but to resort to a more defensive approach to save our season just because the board can't support him.
It's right for him to leave. You have to go to somewhere you know people can appreciate your efforts. Emenalo did it, Conte should try it too!

Most cup Finals are cagey affairs, yesterday was no exception. ( emancipated by 2 managers whom the entertaining the public notion is a low priority)

I loved the win, got royally pissed- can't believe how many FA wins we've chalked up bearing in mind it's only just over 20 years ago we had a paltry 1 success to our name. Wish we played with a bit more verve and panache but you can't have everything.

Ps For selfish reasons, hope Hazard has a dog of a World Cup, because he's got to be looming large on a lot of radars.

Think Brakeit might be trolling with some of his posts. Bar Liverpool’s front 3 & Van Dijk, they have no business in a CL final & finishing above us. 
I am not buying Conte’s narrative that this is the best he could do with this team, a brilliant manager would adapt his setup to players he has at his disposal not the other way round. I also don’t think you can fully judge most of these players because of the way he sets up his team.
From your comments I think Pep and Jose aren't brilliant managers given the fact they always want players that fit there football pattern to succeed.
13 minutes ago, wallosh said:

It's so easy to forget Conte wasn't a defensive manager last season when Fabregas or Matic can pair Kante in the midfield in a 3-4-3 formation which worked well for us. But overnight Conte became a defensive manager when Fabregas is no longer good enough and the board couldn't get a better replacement than the young Bakayoko who haven't adapted to the league. And Conte had no choice but to resort to a more defensive approach to save our season just because the board can't support him.
It's right for him to leave. You have to go to somewhere you know people can appreciate your efforts. Emenalo did it, Conte should try it too!

Conte had to resort to a more defensive approach to save our season, you mean to save the 3 plus awful months which was mainly down to Conte. Conte has been defensive most of the year, he was defensive last year but not as much.