JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

39 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Absolutely. Then again we sacked Carlo in a corridor after finishing second.

The way Carlo was sacked was awful, that it was done on the other hand ....

Are people blaming Conte for this serious? He won us an FA Cup and a PL and lifted us out of the doldrums of Jose's last season. 

Least we could have done was offered him some dignity and sacked him before making him take training sessions or better yet before engaging in a very open battle with another club to sign his replacment.

Neither Chelsea nor Conte’s representatives would comment on the nature of his sacking, but Italian sources described him as being “disgusted” by the way it has been handled.

It is understood that he felt his situation should have been dealt with a greater degree of respect, given he won the Premier League title and the FA Cup in his two seasons in charge.

Having been left in the dark over his future for the entire summer, Conte resumed pre-season training with the squad on Monday and even led a session on Thursday morning before the news was delivered and players were informed there would no longer be an afternoon workout.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Absolutely. Then again we sacked Carlo in a corridor after finishing second.

Very true mate, I just wish for once we could have a bit more class about the way we let go successful trophy winning managers, things may have turned sour towards the end but he did win us two titles in two years, the club should appreciate that a bit more.

Chelsea face a bitter legal battle with Antonio Conte, as it’s reported he was fired without the €11m pay-off, as Maurizio Sarri comes in.

The club faced another problem, which was that by ending Conte’s contract early, they had to pay him and his staff around €11m in compensation.

It seems as if this will continue to be an issue, because The Telegraph and Sky Sport Italia claim Conte is “disgusted” by the way he has been treated and asked his lawyers to haggle over the pay-off terms.

Sky Sport Italia maintain Conte and his staff were sacked for 'just cause' and therefore not eligible for the compensation, perhaps due to the infamous 'text' he sent to dismiss Diego Costa.

This infuriated the Coach and he is set to put up a bitter legal battle, which could end up in various tribunals and courts.

28 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

Why can't this man just take his cheque and leave? Why does he have to be so f**king hotheaded over every f**king thing???? Hasn't he ruined his image enough?

Probably because he’s right? The club have acted shockingly yet again towards a successful manager. It’s been public knowledge we’ve been chasing Sarri all summer and then we have Conte doing pre season training and sack him two or three days in? Piss poor from the club, no denying it!!

26 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Probably because he’s right? The club have acted shockingly yet again towards a successful manager. It’s been public knowledge we’ve been chasing Sarri all summer and then we have Conte doing pre season training and sack him two or three days in? Piss poor from the club, no denying it!!

If the rumours are true that he vanished off the face of the earth for 10 days last summer, then quite frankly he deserves no sympathy whatsoever.

35 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Do you know how much he cost the club in the Costa deal? We were offered 150m by a Chinese club. Could have taken it but then opted to give him a new contract. And then Conte f**ked it up with his SMS stunt. I supported him at the time because he was the manager and Costa had a history of being a child but can you honestly say right now that Conte acted right? Add to that as a poster mentioned just now that he went missing for 10 days last summer. Plus the constant bashing of the club in the media last season which was affecting the club's image. I can go on and on. 

This is the same guy who got up and dumped Juventus right in the middle of pre-season but it's suddenly not a nice thing to do now? On top of all he has cost us? Look, we're grateful for the title but he has absolutely no ground to stand on as far as "respect". He was all but baiting the board into sacking him between January and May because he knew he was guaranteed his pay off. There were rumours he actually wanted out LAST summer. 

He can end this thing now and let's all say our thanks and well wishes and move on but if he wants to do this the hard way, he may end up having to pay Chelsea millions in damages. He's also making himself look like a cancer to other clubs that may hire him down the line. There's really no upside to him trying to be stubborn about getting fired.

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:
Why can't this man just take his cheque and leave? Why does he have to be so f**king hotheaded over every f**king thing???? Hasn't he ruined his image enough?

Yeah because the club are always so gracious and dignified in releasing managers from their jobs.

It’s definitely all Conte’s fault and the board have done nothing wrong. Didn’t make him prepare an entire preseasons’ training schedule only to relieve him of his duties after four and a half days.

Frankly he should just jolly well bugger off and be grateful we gave him a job in the first place.

Our board are a joke. Completely classless.

I should imagine Sarri, early in the negotiations, has given them a list of players he wants them to bring in. He is gonna be as disappointed as Jose and Conte was when they don't turn up.

5 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Yeah because the club are always so gracious and dignified in releasing managers from their jobs.

It’s definitely all Conte’s fault and the board have done nothing wrong. Didn’t make him prepare an entire preseasons’ training schedule only to relieve him of his duties after four and a half days.

Frankly he should just jolly well bugger off and be grateful we gave him a job in the first place.

First of all, I'm the last person on this board to try to paint as a CFC board apologist or whatever it is you were trying to do. For years I've constantly criticised the rubbish they've done as far as winning one title and buying bang average players the next season or waiting too long on transfer deals and ultimately losing the target. Whatever the issue was, I've always mentioned it. So much so that I've gotten attacked on this forum several times for being ungrateful and spoiled. Someone even called me a glory hunter. So again, I'm the last person to try to paint as sympathetic to the board.

Having said that, you should see that when I criticise Conte, I'm doing it without any bias. NOBODY made him take preseason. He did that himself. Marina (and I assume Buck) had been trying to pay him less than the 9m in his contract to pay him off and he was having none of it. They even tried to use the Costa issue and he still didn't budge. This was just him making sure he covered all bases just so we wouldn't come back and say "oh you even neglected pre-season, we can't pay you full price". Had absolutely nothing to do with anyone forcing him.

4 minutes ago, just said:

Our board are a joke. Completely classless.

I should imagine Sarri, early in the negotiations, has given them a list of players he wants them to bring in. He is gonna be as disappointed as Jose and Conte was when they don't turn up.

[Maurizio Sarri on Transfer Market]: "Transfer Market is the refuge of the weak. It is for those who can't train their players. I'm a coach. Give me a group of players and I will coach them."

That said, we've already gotten the one player he supposedly asked for in Jorginho. I think he'll be just fine.

Not saying he's going to last long. No one does these days. But I doubt he'll be rolling out in his pressers every weak tearing the club a new one for not getting him new toys.

Honestly our board are an absolute disgrace. The guy wins us the league and the FA cup and this is how they treat him. I knew the writing was on the wall, but why not just sack him as soon as the season ends, why now when we've already started training for the season, baffling. Not sold on outr replacement either, i don't think this is an upgrade in any way.

Anyway thank you Conte for the 2 seasons you were with us, i hope you move on to a club where the board will back and appreciate you, the fans will miss you big time, all the best.

1 minute ago, dynamite said:

Honestly our board are an absolute disgrace. The guy wins us the league and the FA cup and this is how they treat him. I knew the writing was on the wall, but why not just sack him as soon as the season ends, why now when we've already started training for the season, baffling. Not sold on outr replacement either, i don't think this is an upgrade in any way.

Anyway thank you Conte for the 2 seasons you were with us, i hope you move on to a club where the board will back and appreciate you, the fans will miss you big time, all the best.

Isn't it obvious why? We were trying to get a new manager first and f**ked up that negotiation. Took 63 days to make real progress. If we didn't get him in the end, we would have been left with no manager. I'm no fan of this board but I'm not going to sit here and watch you lot try to make Conte the hero in this story all things considered. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/12/revealed-inside-story-antonio-contes-chelsea-downfall/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The article, since it's behind a paywall:

It was the 10 days last summer during which Chelsea could not get in touch with their head coach that the relationship between the club and Antonio Conte was terminally eradicated.

And there has been some sense of revenge about the way in which the Blues left Conte in the dark over his future after May’s FA Cup final success, even allowing him to return for the start of pre-season training on Monday.

There were few congratulations from on high after Conte’s team beat Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United at Wembley. Instead, there was largely silence that lasted until the inevitable was finally conveyed after he had taken training on Thursday.

Some sources still believe Conte was last year considering an offer from Inter Milan, when he did not pick up the telephone, return messages or respond to emails.

Whatever the exact reasons behind it, Conte’s disappearing act sent Chelsea into a state of panic and convinced them he wanted out. Peace talks were hastily arranged and a new contract was eventually signed as a reward for winning the Premier League title. But, tellingly, there was no extension.

Nobody could be sure Conte would not pull a similar trick again and Chelsea did not want to be liable for more than one year’s money if, as has transpired, they decided to sack the Italian.

It was not just Chelsea who had become suspicious, however, as Conte also lost faith in his employers during a summer in which he felt none of his main targets were signed.

Conte wanted Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Alex Sandro and Virgil van Dijk, but by the time Chelsea returned for pre-season on July 10 last year Lukaku had joined Manchester United instead and the Blues’ only outfield signing, Antonio Rudiger, was not ready to start training after playing in the Confederations Cup for Germany.

With a Premier League trophy to use as a bargaining chip against club policy, Conte felt empowered to take on his employers. He warned people their jobs were on the line and that they would see ‘the real Antonio Conte’ if he did not get what he wanted.

He is still rated as one of the best coaches the club has ever employed, but there is a feeling that Conte’s judgement became clouded at key points by an obsession to prove he was right.

There was bemusement from within the squad when he called a pre-season meeting to supposedly welcome Chelsea’s new signings and introduced Paolo Vanoli and Davide Mazzotta, who had joined his backroom staff.

For a short while nobody knew whether or not Conte was being serious, but it quickly became clear that he was underlining the fact there were no new players for him to show off.

Former technical director Michael Emenalo is believed to have been in the room for Conte’s joke that highlighted the gap that was already developing between the 48-year-old and his board.

Of course, one player who had not been part of the pre-season meeting was Diego Costa, who effectively went on strike in Brazil after being informed he was no longer part of Conte’s plans over text message.

That move went down spectacularly badly inside the Chelsea boardroom, as Conte had acted without their approval and had risked damaging Costa’s value.

The message was also forwarded throughout the Chelsea squad, who were astonished that the club’s top scorer in their title-winning campaign could be treated in such a way – even though he had been causing problems since rowing with Conte last January.

More difficulties with members of his squad surfaced during the season, as Conte dropped David Luiz after the Brazilian was perceived to have questioned his tactics during a stormy inquest in which Kenedy was given a dressing down for yawning.

Injuries contributed to his absence, but Luiz only played five times after the thrashing in Rome, which took place in October and Kenedy was loaned out to Newcastle United in January.

The 5-0 victory over Stoke City on December 31 meant that, despite all the angst, Chelsea finished 2017 in second place in the Premier League and still in all of the cup competitions.

But tensions boiled up again during a January transfer window in which Conte wanted the Blues to back him with bids for Sanchez and Sandro, both of whom he believed were available.

He had not spoken with anybody more senior than Emenalo, who left Chelsea in November, between August and December, and his requests were unsurprisingly ignored. In the end, he had to be content with Olivier Giroud, Emerson Palmieri and Ross Barkley.

Conte had nothing against Giroud, who proved to be a shrewd addition, or Emerson, but felt that, while United were pushing the boat out for Sanchez, Chelsea were trying to strengthen from the substitutes’ benches of Arsenal and Roma.

Once January passed and the transfer window had shut, Conte once again cut himself off from his employers and serious consideration was given to making a change after the embarrassing defeats to Bournemouth and Watford.

Rather than sack him mid-season and land themselves with a huge compensation bill, Chelsea decided to see if they and Conte could ride out the storm together.

But any hope of Champions League qualification was effectively eradicated by the successive defeats to Manchester United and City, when Conte’s tactics were widely condemned, along with his use of Eden Hazard as a false nine.

Hazard had been prepared to sacrifice himself for the supposed greater good up to that point, but sometime after the City loss the Belgian was pulled aside by Conte and had his commitment questioned.

Chelsea have desperately been trying to convince Hazard to sign a new £300,000-a-week contract, but word quickly got round that he was becoming annoyed by his head coach and it showed on the pitch.

More fall-outs were to follow, as Conte dropped Rudiger for giving a television interview in which he appeared to question the team’s approach and the former Juventus coach screamed at his squad that they were all “s***” during half-time in the Premier League victory over Southampton, in which Chelsea came back from two goals behind.

The FA Cup final success over United provided some consolation, but not even that could mask the disharmony in the background as Willian posted a picture on social media of the squad celebrating with carefully placed trophy emojis to hide Conte.

Luiz and Willian would have never played for Chelsea again while Conte was in in charge and there is every likelihood others would have been frozen out as well.

In his post-match press conference at Wembley, Conte repeated seven times ‘I can’t change’ which pretty much told Chelsea everything they needed to know and had Roman Abramovich reaching for the reset button once again - even if it took some time for him to press it.

Almost kicked our best player and GK out and some think he should have seen out his contract. Jose taught me to never in my life blindly support a manager anymore.

FWIW, considering how specific these stories are, I'm quite certain they're coming directly from a club source. Perhaps even a player. I know Fabregas is very friendly with the media.

Edited by Barrettinator