JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

8 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Do you not think its still a bit of an irrational quote in this day and age?

Sometimes managers have to sign players if only to appease the fan base and the hierarchy of existing players.

If we are setting our store by Hazard, (and there is no sub-text from me whether we should or shouldn't, I am just glad that he is part of our team now) I am not sure that he would be overly enamoured with us just bringing through RLC, CHO Ampadu etc. He will believe that a marquee signing or two to work alongside demonstrates ambition.

I get what Sarri is saying and it is refreshing and I am excited about the possibility of us bringing through some real young talent, but I also think he will need to be able to play the markets as well to keep a balance in the side.

Time will tell.

I think it's perfectly rational for a manager or coach to say. Especially one who is conditioned to place less value on buying players and more on developing those already there. He's had either no budget nor notoriety to work with or an @sshat of an owner who by the looks of things is very domineering and probably wasn't too keen in allowing Sarri to dictate transfer policy anyway. I think it's a plus as far as the board is concerned. They won't have to deal with an upset manager (knock on wood) if they don't go out and buy buy buy. The guy was a banker and he understands assets and finding value etc. so I don't take that quote literally. I'm sure he recognizes there is a time and place for transfer spending but he prefers not to rely on it. Maybe he gets a whiff of big spending and takes a liking to it once he's here, time will tell. 

On the other hand, if that's the message from a club I think they would not be long for the top. 

I'm glad the inevitable is over and done with. From my point of view it started with the board being slow to react in the transfer market and back the manager by giving him players that would help us compete at the top, but Conte wasn't completely blameless, he still had a top 4 capable team but he sulked and moaned from day 1 of last season and his mood never improved. The endless little digs at the board did him no favours and in the end, there was no way things were going to be fixed after that, so sacking him was inevitable.

The media will try and spin this and say things like "another successful manager sacked" "player power" without much context, but we and even they know that there was no way Chelsea could move forward with Conte as head coach. It's different to other managers, they were sacked for performances on the pitch, Conte was sacked because his relationship with the board and a few players completely broke down.

3 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

And that is specifically my point - no, I don't know and neither do you or anyone else outside of the club and Conte. 

You honestly think that a professional football club would have contracts and terms and conditions of employment that DON'T include a defined disciplinary procedure? 

If the Costa text happened as was reported, and that was, in what appears to  be your current opinion, reason to both sack Conte and break your contractual obligations to pay his contract off, then he would have been sacked at the time with no pay-off.  That didn't happen then and most likely has nothing to do with what is going on now.

You shouldn't let your hatred of Conte and your disappointment at the last season affect your attempts at rational judgement.

A person taking an employer to an industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal  facing an employers defence of "he did something wrong 18 months ago, but we didn't think it required punishment then, but now we've changed our minds because we've found someone to replace him" would be cheering loudly and his counsel would be writing "slam-dunk" on the case files.

I think that's where you're getting it wrong. I know you don't like "reports" but this discussion is based on reports so I might as well give you the whole thing. The reports are that Buck drove to Cobham yesterday morning and informed Conte that he was being fired based on "a series of irregular behaviour". It has been mentioned that Chelsea are using the Costa debacle as a reason. None of the reports have said that was the ONLY reason they pointed to. It's just the most high profile one we know of and so journos latched on to it. It won't hold up as much if that was the only reason they have, especially because of how long ago it was.

I don't hate Conte. I don't think I hate anyone that works in football apart from Rafa. I'm sure Conte the man is a lovely bloke and an admirable family man. But Conte the manager is who I'm irritated by (not hate). Loved the first season but his second season is a complete 180 both in achievements on the pitch and in his general attitude.

And for what it's worth, no one in here has said Chelsea would take Conte to court out of thin air. Just that if Conte decided to go that route, Chelsea have more than enough to win and even turn around and sue him in the spirit of being petty. Not that we would take the first step.

I actually wouldn't have cared if it was Enrique or Blanc or some average git who replaced Conte. As long as he was leaving. He has been wanting to leave for months now anyway. No point keeping him.

Always thought it was a bit odd when he first turned up, and didn't bring in any players he'd ever coached before ... a clue there that his style, and the climate his management creates, isn't perhaps one that people particularly want to be around.

Onwards and upwards anyway. Thanks Conte for the trophies, especially that one season of near perfection on and off the field, and welcome Sarri, assuming it is him we have been waiting for and not Gareth Southgate :-)

Poor old Conte, shortest statement in history with no thanks and to top it off didn’t even get a stupid word across the article on the home page. Something like ‘Sacked’ ‘Good Riddance’ ‘Piss Off’. The board really are heartless. 

6 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Poor old Conte, shortest statement in history with no thanks and to top it off didn’t even get a stupid word across the article on the home page. Something like ‘Sacked’ ‘Good Riddance’ ‘Piss Off’. The board really are heartless. 

lol

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

If the board believe Conte will file a lawsuit, saying "thank you for your services" would indicate the board were happy with his employment. 

3 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

If the board believe Conte will file a lawsuit, saying "thank you for your services" would indicate the board were happy with his employment. 

It's true.
The club is trying to get out of paying him compensation. In the end they couldn't say anything else, otherwise they would put their entire plan in jeopardy.

3 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

I think that's where you're getting it wrong. I know you don't like "reports" but this discussion is based on reports so I might as well give you the whole thing. The reports are that Buck drove to Cobham yesterday morning and informed Conte that he was being fired based on "a series of irregular behaviour". It has been mentioned that Chelsea are using the Costa debacle as a reason. None of the reports have said that was the ONLY reason they pointed to. It's just the most high profile one we know of and so journos latched on to it. It won't hold up as much if that was the only reason they have, especially because of how long ago it was.

Here's a couple of legal concepts for you: affirmation/waiver & estoppel by conduct. You're far better off just sticking to posting your rather tiresome speculations on football matters rather than coming across as a complete fool. Just a suggestion.

Bet Conte never saw being sacked without any compensation coming. He thought £9m was coming his way. 

I guess in the end, if you play games with your employer, they will come for you. Don’t bite the hand that feeds. 

I’m sure though that there will be an out of court settlement - prob a reduced rate. 

Edited by JM7

4 hours ago, Munkworth said:

At least they mentioned his name!

5 hours ago, Munkworth said:

The club gave Scolari and AVB full compo and a glowing tribute despite both epically flopping, if they are holding off giving Antonio either there's got to be a very, very good reason for that.

Loved his passion in his first season, infectious.

A shame he had to go, but like almost all Chelsea managers, they leave winning the lottery and an improved CV.

Thanks to Conte for another Premiership title and FA Cup during his time as manager. The first season was really enjoyable, after a tricky start following our previous troubled season, he made the tactical and strategic changes to help the players perform strongly again with a new formation that helped us dominate the league then the rest of the season. It was a great year with some splendid football and some excellent matches, really loved his passion and celebrations then as manager too, built a great rapport with the fans during that time, and some great achievements like our long winning run, and getting 30 wins in a Premiership season, while it was good it was a special time.

Sadly what a contrast the generally disappointing second season - from the beginning the falling out with the board that lead to practically total alienation between both sides and a running feud through the season with neither side giving ground, plus apparent increasing disharmony between manager and increasing number of players, with the negative effect we saw on results particularly in the latter part of the season. The only bright spot being getting the FA Cup win we missed out on the year before. But not enough to avoid the feeling there would have been more troubles ahead if he stayed, and that relationships between manager and club hierarchy plus some players, were damaged beyond repair.

Still despite the troubles, I am still thankful for the good times - best of luck to Conte for the future - will be curious seeing where he goes next, and when. Ciao Antonio.

38 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Class words from a man who didn't stoop to the boards level.

Will always have a special place in this supporters heart, in my lifetime I can't remember a more popular and passionate manager at the bridge.

Cheers Antonio.

Mourinho V.1.

4 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Mourinho V.1.

Eventually yes but not at that level and certainly not as early as the fans took to Antonio.

I remember back then at the bridge and from the few tiems I was down last season the Antonio chants certainly were the best I have experienced for a manager.