Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94

one other thing i am excited to see, is how he helps loftus-cheek and traore develop. those two both have a ton of potential. traore seems to always work hard in training, but i especially want to see how rlc can develop because the main thing he seemed to lack was work rate, but with conte demanding his players to "spit blood" i truly believe we could see a new and improved loftus-cheek next season. so excited! roll on september!

Can't say whether our players will react as positively to the hairdryer treatment as the Juve players in those pictures. Based off what we saw last season, its safe to say the majority of them have no spine or no loyalty, or both.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Can't say whether our players will react as positively to the hairdryer treatment as the Juve players in those pictures. Based off what we saw last season, its safe to say the majority of them have no spine or no loyalty, or both.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Atleast this time they know that it will be them that will be replaced, not the coach. Well, i hope anyways

Conte will have the players riled for the games against Jose for sure though.

Edited by JoseBlues

A good read that. My only worry is Conte being too hard is just like Jose.

I think Conte is a pragmatic manager, which is the complete opposite to Mourinho, who on a whim can quite regularly shoots himself in the foot.

Gagging for it now. The last few days have been turgid. My son summed it up succinctly when he said the Jose to Man Utd saga is similar to bombing your girlfriend off, only for her to then get off with someone your really don't like. It pi$$e$ you off massively but there is nothing you can do about it because it's your fault you bombed her off.

I've been scowling at the TV and the false smiles and platitudes, even though I still think the break, ultimately, was the right thing to do.

I am praying now that all I've read comes to fruition.

A high tempo, hard pressing team, playing fast, possession based but not obsessed football with two strikers is...well arousing for want of a better phrase.

I'm kind of hoping that Italy win the Euros as well, if England underwhelm once again.

Chelsea please back him. If we can rebuild the spine of this team and retain and improve some of the flair players we already have, this could be a really entertaining team. Success is necessary and would be brilliant but i just want to enjoy watching us again. Come on Chels!

p.s. I'm still not having Courtois, sorry. I would really like to see Conte bring in a new keeper.

That is a very interesting video. I don't think Hazard can play the role of a wing back. If we could have Cuadrado back, him and Willian would fit those roles perfectly. Maybe Hazard plays the No.10 alongside Costa? Definitely interested in seeing how Conte works it out.

Then again, Conte adopted that system due to Juve's lack of players. He adapts systems according to what he has. Juve didn't have the luxury of buying players at heavy prices like we do so it'll be interesting to see how he plays it this time. Definitely happy he's not stubborn with systems.

Ive said it a few times but I think Kenedy will be perfect for him on the wing. We may not use the same setup he had a Juve but I dont think it will be for a lack of wingers

Gagging for it now. The last few days have been turgid. My son summed it up succinctly when he said the Jose to Man Utd saga is similar to bombing your girlfriend off, only for her to then get off with someone your really don't like. It pi$$e$ you off massively but there is nothing you can do about it because it's your fault you bombed her off.

I've been scowling at the TV and the false smiles and platitudes, even though I still think the break, ultimately, was the right thing to do.

I am praying now that all I've read comes to fruition.

A high tempo, hard pressing team, playing fast, possession based but not obsessed football with two strikers is...well arousing for want of a better phrase.

I'm kind of hoping that Italy win the Euros as well, if England underwhelm once again.

Chelsea please back him. If we can rebuild the spine of this team and retain and improve some of the flair players we already have, this could be a really entertaining team. Success is necessary and would be brilliant but i just want to enjoy watching us again. Come on Chels!

p.s. I'm still not having Courtois, sorry. I would really like to see Conte bring in a new keeper.

Part of me hopes he doesn't do spectacularly at the Euros so that he can continue flying under the radar for next season.

Why the Courtois hate? Just don't rate him as a keeper?

Part of me hopes he doesn't do spectacularly at the Euros so that he can continue flying under the radar for next season.

Why the Courtois hate? Just don't rate him as a keeper?

Don't rate him and never really have to be honest. I wouldn't put Courtois in the top 6 or 7 in the EPL let alone Europe. My son is a semi pro keeper so we watch a lot of keeper training sessions on video and track them during matches. Coutois is so stiff and poor in so many areas. His training sessions are lacklustre with so little dynamism.

I could open this up into a major thread, highlighting the main goalkeeping points and where he falls short in so many areas. I am convinced that the issue with the goalkeeping coach (sorry can't remember how to spell the name) is that the coach is trying to put him straight on his numerous weaknesses but he won't try to improve and his arrogance makes him think he doesn't have to.

Anybody getting beat by Drinkwater from 30 odd yards having clear sight of the ball all the way and not getting anywhere near it, has nothing to be arrogant about.

This thread is not about Courtois, so apologies, Just watch Youtube training videos of Jack Butland and then watch Courtois to see the difference in intensity and ability.

Anybody getting beat by Drinkwater from 30 odd yards having clear sight of the ball all the way and not getting anywhere near it, has nothing to be arrogant about.

I was more concerned with Loftus-Cheek's inability to close down the angle for the pass to Drinkwater personally. Having said that I think Courtois has underperformed this year, compared to De Gea anyway.

We have to do our best to hold on to Courtois. He's a great keeper with so much more to come as well, granted it was an off season for him , but he wasn't the only one was he?

If we lose him that means we will have lost two of the 6-7 only truly world class keepers playing today in a year. That's such a modern day Chelsea thing to do.

Top class keepers don't grow on trees, we have to do our very best to keep him and to help him as much as we can with his development.

That's the joy of football. It's all about opinions. For me:

De Gea

Cech

Lloris

Hart

Butland

Schmeichel

are all better keepers than Courtois.

I think he is more on a par with Forster for stiffness, yet Forster's stats are actually better.

Like I say we watch a lot of this stuff in our house, but hey, it's just a personal opinion. 

I get the point regarding Loftus Cheek's lack of tracking but it still doesn't excuse Courtois' inadequate starting position and movement of feet.

Here are just a couple of clips. Butland's movement, and Hart's come to that vs Courtois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJwbpJCdt6U

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEpfJplEQU

obviously it's all about opinions- that much is implied.

I don't think schmeichel and butland have any business being mentioned alongside the others you cite. 

as for the video, surely the coaches dictate the type of training. at the end of the day you're watching edited bits of film that I don't think really have any value whatsoever when it comes to making a judgement on the relative merits of courtois and butland. I mean, I think they have even less to offer than youtube compilations, and that's saying something.

I am 99% confident every top manager in europe and every single manager in the premier league would choose courtois over butland and I'm 90% certain butland would himself say he's not as good a goalkeeper. I think he had a better season last year, but then courtois had a serious knee injury and was rushed back into a badly faltering side. I don't think butland has had one season to compare to tibo's previous four and he's only a year younger.

I think it's like comparing sergio aguero to jermaine defoe. there's a reason why at the same age butland was sitting on the bench watching begovic whilst courtois was picking up a league title with atletico madrid. I don't want to knock him because I do think he's a talented shot stopper, but there are players and then there are players.

Courtois definitely gets a free pass from me for last season. Not just because of the injury it also because he had the worst Chelsea defence in two decades in front of him. At times last season the defending was shambolic and that would affect any goalkeeper.

Those training videos are interesting but as G4 says, if there is a problem with intensity or whatever then surely that's as much down to the trainer/goalkeeping coach as it is the goalkeeper?

I maintain he is a top class goalkeeper, I've seen enough of him so far at Chelsea and Athletico to be confident in that and one off season isn't going to change my opinion. Courtois (if he stays) really is the least of our problems anyway.

Not really sure what those training drill videos are meant to prove?

If you have watched any of Christophe Lollichon's training sessions that he does with the Chelsea goalkeepers they are quite diverse and intense.

Not sure a training drill proves anything about quality personally.

De Gea

Cech

Lloris

Hart

Butland

Schmeichel

I think he is more on a par with Forster for stiffness, yet Forster's stats are actually better.

Like I say we watch a lot of this stuff in our house, but hey, it's just a personal opinion. 

I get the point regarding Loftus Cheek's lack of tracking but it still doesn't excuse Courtois' inadequate starting position and movement of feet.

Here are just a couple of clips. Butland's movement, and Hart's come to that vs Courtois

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJwbpJCdt6U

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEpfJplEQU

Interesting. Did you also watch Courtois whilst he was with Atletico? Was his training more intense? 

Tibo is a great keeper, like the rest of the team he had a bit of a mare last season, having a shoddy defence didn't help.

I believe Conte will get us in the top 3 next year, he's a manager with a plan and vision and demands the best.

De Gea

Cech

Lloris

Hart

Butland

Schmeichel

Schmeichel and Hart and worse than Courtois sure. 

Form me keepers fall in 3 groups

1) De Gea, Cech, Lloris

2) Forster, Butland, Courtois

3) Hart, Schmeichel, Begovic

not sure why defence comes into play when we're trying to rate a goalkeeper.. I mean it's not like we judge them by the amount of goals conceded , do we?

Chance like 1-on-1 would and should not affect a GK's score... A GK should be viewed as a standalone performer, they should not take the blame for their defence failure and at the same time, they shouldn't use it for their own failing..  

• coco unpinned this topic