Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

When I see this pict, I wonder which one of these men are crazier :biggrin: - Love the emotion that Don Antonio has brought to CFC - we needed this - Gracie Don Antonio!!!

My only quarrel/complaint about Conte is the selection on the squad.

He has given Oscar two chances now and I think both times he has looked rather sub-par so on the squad selection I really do question some of his choices I don't see why Cesc can't do that Pirlo role that worked so well for Juventus just play Kante alongside a Matic or better yet give MVG a chance when he becomes fit with Kante.

So far Cesc should definitely start and Batshuayi starting with Diego Costa just playing a 442 or a 4121 might be worth doing if not that stick to the 4141.

My only quarrel/complaint about Conte is the selection on the squad.

He has given Oscar two chances now and I think both times he has looked rather sub-par so on the squad selection I really do question some of his choices I don't see why Cesc can't do that Pirlo role that worked so well for Juventus just play Kante alongside a Matic or better yet give MVG a chance when he becomes fit with Kante.

So far Cesc should definitely start and Batshuayi starting with Diego Costa just playing a 442 or a 4121 might be worth doing if not that stick to the 4141.

well after this latest performance, Cesc might get a chance. I have to agree w/ you about Cesc & the Pirlo connection there - I really believe Don Antonio remembers that September night in 2012 when Oscar did a job on Juve - the only reason why Juve got the draw was due to a misplaced pass by Mikel - still I want both Cesc & Oscar to remain on the side - they can still contribute - btw I thought Oscar was nice on Monday vs Wet Spam - he did get some tackles in & help distribute the rock around the pitch to other players

He's either a genius, or got bit lucky with the timing of his subs. I thought Pedro should have been off at half time, contributed nothing at all, and was jogging at the half way line when Capure scored. Another day, at least Willian would have tracked back to exert some pressure. He left Cesc so late in the game, maybe he put it off until Watford completely went into the hold the lead mode. I believe he's trying to accommodate 2 strikers and Cesc in his team, just haven't got the personnel to do it. I hope Roman gives him the backing, this man know what he;s doing, and the players clearly believed in him.

It has taken Chelsea six days to achieve consecutive wins, a feat they managed only once last season. Yet there is a sense that Antonio Conte must still work to ensure the players that endured that grim campaign do not look back and dwell. At the end of Saturday’s 2-1 comeback at Watford the Italian made a pointed effort of embracing every player. His arrival should mean a clean slate but the risk of a hangover will lurk a little longer and he believes some still need their confidence restored.

There was also evidence that remnants of the problems that resulted in that 10th-place finish remain in an ageing team requiring further enforcements if a title challenge is to materialise. “Listening, reflecting on the past always leaves you sad,” Conte said. “You can lose all your confidence. So, for this reason, it is important in these two games to win. You can continue to work, to trust in the work and to lift the confidence of the players because it is mostly the same squad as last season.”

But why make such a concerted effort to hug it out when most of his contemporaries insist a manager must keep some distance from the players? “I think that my experience as a former player helps me in this situation. It helps me to understand when a player needs a hug and when a player needs a bit of pressure. I think also that it’s important to create the right feeling because me and my staff try to give them 110% in our work every day and, for this reason, I also ask this of my players.”

Watching Conte’s eccentric sideline reactions – the frenzied hand movements, the incessant roaring – is an exhausting experience. He looks more tired than some players come full-time, eager to find a quiet corner to close his eyes and rest his voice. “Usually when my team play, I play with them. I try in every moment to suggest the right pass or the right position and it is important because sometimes when the ball is on one side it is, for example, important to push out. “Or when, at the end of the game, we played 4-2-4 to stay wide with two wingers. It’s not easy. But it is important to support the players and sometimes I know that they hear these things and sometimes they choose not to.” Few could argue against his winning mentality already taking hold, though. As the motto at Conte’s former club Juventus says, fino alla fine. Until the end.

It would be easy to put their late turnarounds, following on from the comeback against West Ham last Monday, down to the extra fitness sessions during pre-season, especially when Conte’s opposite number here, Walter Mazzarri, intimated some of his players are not up to scratch and faded at 70 minutes. But that would be ignoring the disjointed nature of Chelsea’s performance for much of the afternoon.

Several creases need to be ironed out and the pallid manner of their play, which meant the Hornets were marginally better before Conte’s formation change, suggests a couple of changes in personnel are required. While N’Golo Kanté’s qualities have fitted seamlessly, the midfielders in front of him remain a cause for much frustration. Pedro was aimless, Nemanja Matic laboured and Oscar drifted in and out of the action.

Defensively they were solid but with César Azpilicueta the only one under 30 and few fringe options, that is another department in need of strengthening. Then again a winner seemed inevitable once the substitute Michy Batshuayi scored his first goal for the club and Conte was excitedly telling his players to stop celebrating and get on with earning all three points.

One train of thought is that the manager would like to play the 4-2-4 system he finished with from the start but some players are not ideally suited. Cesc Fàbregas offered a creative spark that was conspicuously absent, setting up Diego Costa for the 87th-minute winner, but there was little guile before his introduction from the bench. Costa will be the acid test of Conte’s man-management skills.

Wherever the striker goes, controversy follows and it must leave a bitter taste in opponents’ mouths when he is lucky to be on the pitch and then scores the winning goal. Booked again for dissent, he attempted to win a free-kick with a preposterous dive that went unpunished. Yet conversely Costa told Brazilian media last week that he feels victimised.

Conte has discussed the striker’s approach but would rather “keep with me what I say” and it does not require a degree in psychology to recognise how important they will be to each other. “Diego must be focused on the game,” Conte said. “On the game. I don’t want him to focus on other players, other managers or the press or people that talk badly about him. He must just stay very focused on the game because, for me, the game and performance is the most important thing. “The others are only blah, blah, blah. It’s important to pay attention during the game because he is an important player and he can score a lot of goals. So I want him to put himself in the game, not to think of other situations. It’s not good for me, it’s not good for him and it’s not good for Chelsea or the fans.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/21/antonio-conte-chelsea-manager

It was great to win the game as late as that and I'd take that every day of the week however it shouldn't paper of the fact for large periods of the game it was really poor from us.

Maybe it's because the squad is largely the same as last season and Conte is still waiting to add 2/3 players to mould his side around.

I wonder how disappointed he is with our constant failings in the transfer window so far. One great addition in Kante but Conte clearly wants too add two or three top class players to that. Hence why we have been chasing Koulibaly, Higuain, Lukaku and i assume others that the media haven't picked up on this window, Not much more then a week left to do anything and it is not looking good.

I wonder how disappointed he is with our constant failings in the transfer window so far. One great addition in Kante but Conte clearly wants too add two or three top class players to that. Hence why we have been chasing Koulibaly, Higuain, Lukaku and i assume others that the media haven't picked up on this window, Not much more then a week left to do anything and it is not looking good.

Hopefully he doesn't go crazy like Jose did. The board try their best to make life as difficult as possible for the manager.

I'm wondering why wiith all his background in Italy we haven't bought in any Italian, "Next big thing", surely Conte knows better than anyone, i was expecting big links with Marco Veratti for instance??

Because Conte isn't in charge of our transfers or transfer strategy. 

I'm wondering why wiith all his background in Italy we haven't bought in any Italian, "Next big thing", surely Conte knows better than anyone, i was expecting big links with Marco Veratti for instance??

Seems he doesn't rate them very highly...

Ahead of Euro 2016, Italian coach Antonio Conte has revealed that he does not think there are many good young players in Italy. Speaking about the current state of Italian football, Conte expressed several concerns.

"There is a shortage of good young players in Italy," he told reporters.

He expressed his upset that this is happening in a country with Italy's impressive footballing history.

"We're talking about Italy here, a country that has always produced great talents," stated the Italian.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/national-teams/2016/06/05/57545ef6e5fdeadb748b466c.html

Edited by the special one

no, don't blame the board for being sensible.. For a start, are those players even considered as 'top player' though?

koulilaby or whatever his name is looking suspect, on top of that he would cost more than 50mils.. it's pretty much a gamble in his case..

higuain cost a whopping 75mils, surely this 1 is no brainer to avoid? lukaku is pretty much the same..

I'm not sure whether conte is sort of a guy who put all egg in 1 basket like jose, I wanna know who he wants and from there we can judge how complicated or easy to get it done.. 

I assume he talked to the club and gave them a list of targets which he wanted. So far the club haven't really been able to deliver.

He probably identifies areas/positions in the team that he feels need reinforcing but the identification and recruiting of transfers will have almost nothing to do with him. 

This is how/why we are ending up with players like Baba Rahman, Papy Djilobodji, Kenedy being bought into the first team.

Yes certain players might be specifically singled out by our managers but I reckon the majority of the dealings have very little to do with them. 

I'm probably reading far too much into it given his English, but pre-Watford, he actually used the word 'argue' when referring to his conversations with the board in relation to signings.

He is still learning English, and made a mistake.

Here is the opinion of a Chelsea fan who knows Italian. 

In Italian, the word "argomento" does refer to the topic, theme of a conversation. Example; the "argomento" of our conversation is Conte's latest press conference.

It might be possible what Antonio meant to say was "It is very difficult to speak to the press about the "topics of conversation=argomento" I am having with the club." Realizing then the mistake in translation and correcting it with just "conversations."

It is a very basic mistake to do if you've spoken Italian since birth, I went through that as well.

Edited by kiwi1691

Conference call: Always tough

NEWSTUE 23 AUG 2016

After his first experience of cup football in this country, Antonio Conte said he was glad his team didn’t pay the price for not being more clinical in front of goal.

Two goals from Michy Batshuayi and another from Victor Moses – all scored in the first half – did the damage against Bristol Rovers of League One, but we survived a couple of scares once the visitors reduced the deficit to 3-2 soon after the interval. One lesson above all stood out for Conte afterwards…

‘We must understand that when you have the opportunity to kill the game, you must kill the game,’ he said.

‘It’s a pity because we were dominating the game but then we suffered. Tonight I knew the English cup, I knew the atmosphere, and I can tell these games are very tough for all.

‘We created a lot of chances in the first half to score many goals, but I don’t like when you concede two goals in this situation, from a free-kick and a penalty.  

‘When you leave it open a situation like tonight can happen when you stay afraid of drawing the game until the end.’

Conte spoke in more detail about the first goal we let in tonight

‘We conceded one goal from a cross and we must improve on this aspect. We must feel the danger in every circumstance, above all when there is a free-kick or a corner, because in England usually there can be a great chance of conceding a goal after a corner or a free-kick.’

Ruben Loftus-Cheek, playing off Batshuayi, set up the debutant’s second goal of the game and the boss was impressed with what

he saw from the young Englishman

‘I liked it because he played a good game with a good intensity. He did what I wanted. In defensive situations he became a midfielder, when we were attacking he became a forward.

‘I am happy with his commitment and his attitude. Ruben has great potential. He is a young player who can improve a lot. I see him every day and during the training sessions he wants to improve, he wants to work very hard and I like this.

‘He has the right characteristics to play in this role [as a striker]. He is physically very strong, he is very good playing with his back to goal, he also has good technique, he sees the goal very well, and he has a good shot. He can play in this role.

‘It’s right to give opportunities to young players like Loftus with great talent to stay with the first team and help us. It’s the same for [Ola] Aina.’

Nathaniel Chalobah remained an unused substitute and Conte explained why

‘The first disappointment is mine because I wanted to put Chalobah on in the second half and play him but the situation didn’t permit this, and I preferred to put Oscar on until the end.

‘The situation could have become very dangerous. It’s a pity because I wanted to permit him to play and also because he deserves to play. He’s a good young player.’

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/08/conte-post-bristol-rovers.html

Edited by enigma

Happy about RLC and aina starts but so gutted about Chalobah.

Different Manager, same excuses.

How is Oscar a better defensive substitute than Chalobah? In what world?

I mean if u cant trust Nat against bristol rovers at the SB with a goal advantage then what is even the point of having him in the squad?

Am I to believe that he will be started against City/united on a fine day?

Also, further proof why players like Oscar, pedro, mikel need to be shipped off ASAP. Add nothing of value to the squad and eat into the youth player's couple of minutes of game play. 

• coco unpinned this topic