Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

29 minutes ago, Pendergast said:

It's true, fellas. Mou and Pep have 2 or even 3 guaranteed transfers every window because they are the most famous managers in the world. This is fact, nothing against Conte. 

How do you explain our last transfer season, which was under Jose.

I have to disagree, this is totally on the board and has nothing to do with the manager.

Nope, players would do something if they really wanted to join us. You have seen many footballers doing this for a manager they want to work with. Now, because he is our current manager, that's why you are attacking me, but you know that I'm telling you a FACT. Conte is less attractive than Mou, Pep, Klopp and Diego Simeone. 

It is not due to Conte. It is because our board has become conservative and are crying injustice when every club has a right to raise prices. You don't think a player is worth it, move on quickly which our board doesn't seem to fathom. I guess they have additional insight on Koulibaly and maybe that is why they have put all eggs in him. I really don't count all these last minute panic bids all around.

All our bids have been rejected by clubs, not players.

3 days to prove that and to bring big names. Otherwise he will be on the same level with Wenger - talking about "craziness" of the market, no transfers, complaining from other clubs behaviour, sweet things like "work is the most important" and at the end - no trophies. Conte should've called Bonucci, Barzagli, Morata and Pogba and tell them - 'we are building a solid team here, want you to be part of it, we have worked together so well, we can do it again'' or s**t like this. To attack them with SMSs every morning and if he is charming enough - to force them to send transfer request to their clubs. Then it's easy. The good manager must do this. It's his job. 

Stop with this last season. Mourinho knew about the rebellion but the board didn't bring him Stones, Pogba, Cavanni and Draxler. 

Just now, Pendergast said:

3 days to prove that and to bring big names. Otherwise he will be on the same level with Wenger - talking about "craziness" of the market, no transfers, complaining from other clubs behaviour, sweet things like "work is the most important" and at the end - no trophies. Conte should've called Bonucci, Barzagli, Morata and Pogba and tell them - 'we are building a solid team here, want you to be part of it, we have worked together so well, we can do it again'' or s**t like this. To attack them with SMSs every morning and if he is charming enough - to force them to send transfer request to their clubs. Then it's easy. The good manager must do this. It's his job. 

Stop with this last season. Mourinho knew about the rebellion but the board didn't bring him Stones, Pogba, Cavanni and Draxler. 

I think you need to consider money and the allure of Champions League is a factor, also for the likes of Bonucci and Barzagli Juve is the pinnacle.

With all due respect our perceived "failure" to sign the big guns has f**k all to do with Conte.

46 minutes ago, Pendergast said:

Nope, players would do something if they really wanted to join us. You have seen many footballers doing this for a manager they want to work with. Now, because he is our current manager, that's why you are attacking me, but you know that I'm telling you a FACT. Conte is less attractive than Mou, Pep, Klopp and Diego Simeone. 

Welcome to the forum Rafa.

1 minute ago, Pendergast said:

You are laughing but that's a big part of good management. 

How do you know he didn't try to convince them? We bid for Stones, how do you know Pep/City didn't tap him up? We bid for Pogba... we apparently bid for Bonucci too. While I agree we should be signing players of the calibre you mentioned given our current circumstances there's only so much Conte and the board can do.

1 hour ago, Pendergast said:

Players cannot force through moves, see John Stones last summer as an example. 

By the way who was our manager at the time?

Who has Klopp or Simeone signed to suggest players want to work with them more than Conte?

You're not telling me a "fact" you're sharing a very blinkered opinion.

1 hour ago, Pendergast said:

Yeah, sending them loads of smilies and "I heart u" texts is all that's needed to get a player.....

Edited by dkw

I agree that we should be looking to get those targets you've listed & it annoys me when people say we can't afford or can't compete with the likes of United & Citeh, with the TV money etc we should at least be able to put up a fight.

For example if it's true United are paying £30m across 3 years for Pogba, we 100% surely could afford that, but it's by the by now...

BUT, I find it incomprehensible that you have found a way to somehow blame Conte for that.

I also find it bizarre that you think harassing players is the way to get them to come.

I'm happy with the business we've done but I certainly think there should have been more of it & that is firmly down to the board, no one else - especially not Conte.

Also why is Klopp on that list? Their defence is even worse than ours and he's had over a year now to fix it and has done nothing to improve their situation.

3 hours ago, Pendergast said:

Ok, he might be less attractive to players we want to buy, highly doubtful though, as for players do something if they want to join us, what happen to J. Stones then?

or was it because he did not want to join us enough.  FACT is, we can only guess why no defenders are coming our way.

4 hours ago, evissy said:

We were 10th and without CL. I think that is a bigger factor. Conte is a big name among managers.

And the other elephant in the room, is that while London has a certain appeal, overall for many players the better climate, lifestyle and culture in places like Spain and Italy is very hard to overcome, which is why in general top players don't come to the PL, or if they do then they are typically in the eary stages or twilight of their career and the money sways the heart ...

Frank Lampard: Why Antonio Conte is perfect for Chelsea

Frank Lampard, who quizzed New York City team-mate and former Conte player Andrea Pirlo on Chelsea’s new boss, is delighted with the way things are developing under the Italian.

“I spoke to Pirlo about him as soon as I got here.

“Obviously I am interested in Chelsea and he was very highly spoken of how his former task master works

I know their pre-season has been very tough for starters, you saw that a bit in the West Ham game.

“He is the perfect fit for Chelsea after what happened last year. It was a real slump of performance.

“Physically I thought they didn’t look as sharp and the game was too slow. Now, it is early days, but you see the start of a team who is going to press and play with a quicker pace.”

2 minutes ago, Upsetter said:

Frank Lampard: Why Antonio Conte is perfect for Chelsea

Frank Lampard, who quizzed New York City team-mate and former Conte player Andrea Pirlo on Chelsea’s new boss, is delighted with the way things are developing under the Italian.

“I spoke to Pirlo about him as soon as I got here.

“Obviously I am interested in Chelsea and he was very highly spoken of how his former task master works

I know their pre-season has been very tough for starters, you saw that a bit in the West Ham game.

“He is the perfect fit for Chelsea after what happened last year. It was a real slump of performance.

“Physically I thought they didn’t look as sharp and the game was too slow. Now, it is early days, but you see the start of a team who is going to press and play with a quicker pace.”

where did you find these gems at?

22 minutes ago, Upsetter said:

Taken from the Daily Star. slightly amended from the original which includes a fairly obvious typo:

still good stuff & great insight - BTW I was thinking that Cesc & Don Antonio would be a match made from heaven after seeing how Don Antonio turned around Pirlo's career - remember he had came from Milan & everyone was saying that Pirlo was over the hill? Man that guy still has game - always a joy to watch

13 hours ago, Pendergast said:

To attack them with SMSs every morning and if he is charming enough - to force them to send transfer request to their clubs. Then it's easy. The good manager must do this. It's his job. 

This is very amusing!

Edited by Michael440
  • coco unpinned this topic