Alvaro Morata

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

^^^

Totally agree. 

Some matches he looks fantastic, other games he spends 90 minutes on his arse. Very frustrating but so far the good far out weighs the bad.

Joey Barton was really signing his praises the other day - saying he is a better all round player than Harry Kane. He certainly has the ability to be better but he does need to stop the falling over and find a bit more consistency.

5 hours ago, CFCholland said:

He has plenty to improve on, I hope he starts with his attitude. He looks like a pretty strong athletic guy, there's no need for him to go ground as much as he does. His constant moaning at the ref is getting tiresome too.

He's not getting anything from the refs at the moment, but that's because he spends as much time on the ground as on his feet. They don't know what to believe anymore, and I'm sure his constant moaning at them doesn't help.

He is a technically sound player, he's got speed and tremendous heading ability, he needs develop his finishing and change his attitude a little and I think we've got a real winner on our hands.

He's still got that Real Madrid attitude about him. Go down for soft tackles, petulant and always moaning at refs.

Still hasn't adapted to the PL, I hope he does. Like I said in the match thread he expects to get a foul for everything, he got nudged in the back by Mawson which put him off his shot and he was moaning for a penalty. 

I wouldn't care his buildup before that goal was smashing, had that of went in it would've been a belter. These are definitely things he can fix up on and learn so I'm not that worried, but he needs to start adapting now otherwise there are going to be times where this will cost us. 

This is the type of stuff we need to see more from Morata, acknowledge the defenders can touch you, and touch them back just as hard. He's shown how good he is with his back to goal, but he needs to actually acknowledge the physical limitations in the Premier League compared to the ones in Spain/Italy. You won't get a foul so easily, look how many penalties you see in the Spanish league every week compared to the PL. 

Edited by Slojo

I don't think he was going down too easily yesterday, i thought the ref missed a lot of fouls on him. The thing that annoyed me was his lack of determination to get on the end of crosses. There was some great crosses for him to get on to if he busted a gut, but he just didn't bother with some of them. It may still just be about learning about the Premier League. In Spain, you don't need to give 100% against the bottom teams, but in the Premier League it's different, you need to be on it in every game.

It's all about adapting though, he will get there in the end.

43 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think he was going down too easily yesterday, i thought the ref missed a lot of fouls on him. The thing that annoyed me was his lack of determination to get on the end of crosses. There was some great crosses for him to get on to if he busted a gut, but he just didn't bother with some of them. It may still just be about learning about the Premier League. In Spain, you don't need to give 100% against the bottom teams, but in the Premier League it's different, you need to be on it in every game.

It's all about adapting though, he will get there in the end.

He didn't do enough to get in front of the centre backs last night when balls were being put in. He was pretty poor last night, movement wasn't as good as it can be, and the chances he did get, he put them straight at the keeper. Needs to be a bit more ruthless, if he wants to reach the top. He fluffed 2 good chances to make it 2 nil, on another day, that could've cone back to haunt us. 

Overall very pleased with him so far though, but he can and will be even better. 

I thought he played well without scoring, should have got a penalty too. There was one instance in the second half when he broke free, got a push from behind and mis-kicked completely. It's the same kind of incident as the Walker shove on Sterling last season, of course the referee looked the other way.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

He did, then was climbed over by a defender for an obvious penalty that wasnt given.

Yeah that  is 1 one instance out of many. My point still stands that overall it wasn't his best performance in terms of movement. He was just on his heels a bit too much. Im sure he will pick it up again tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, big blue said:

Yeah that  is 1 one instance out of many. My point still stands that overall it wasn't his best performance in terms of movement. He was just on his heels a bit too much. Im sure he will pick it up again tomorrow. 

I watched him for a bit on the night and his movement seemed to stop when Willian picked up the ball. Make of it what you will, it may have been coincidence, just an observation. 

49 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not very clinical is he? 

Seems to miss a lot of chances, especially ones where you'd be banking on your striker to put a chance away. 

10 goals at this point for a not to clinical striker, not bad at all :) and joint 3rd in the prem.  Neither costa and Drogba were super clinical either, both missed one on ones and easier chances, the curse of two much time. 

I would agree thought that Morata when given time on the ball seems to over think it, yesterday was actually an amazing save, watch it again, he places it very nicely and the keeper does a great job with his foot. Against, United despite getting the winner he would often take far to many touches, just blast it in the net. 

It's a testament to his movement and overall play that he is getting so many chances though and i do believe he is a top top stiker, but as I said in the other thread, at the moment it's pretty much the Hazard and Morata show, we need another source of goals, if we are going to sacrifice the additional winger we need one for the center mids to be chiming in with about 10 goals a season currently we's be lucky to have 10 across all 3 

1 hour ago, barak81 said:

10 goals at this point for a not to clinical striker, not bad at all :) and joint 3rd in the prem.  Neither costa and Drogba were super clinical either, both missed one on ones and easier chances, the curse of two much time. 

I would agree thought that Morata when given time on the ball seems to over think it, yesterday was actually an amazing save, watch it again, he places it very nicely and the keeper does a great job with his foot. Against, United despite getting the winner he would often take far to many touches, just blast it in the net. 

It's a testament to his movement and overall play that he is getting so many chances though and i do believe he is a top top stiker, but as I said in the other thread, at the moment it's pretty much the Hazard and Morata show, we need another source of goals, if we are going to sacrifice the additional winger we need one for the center mids to be chiming in with about 10 goals a season currently we's be lucky to have 10 across all 3 

I just feel like there's been a few times when we've really needed him to come up with the goods and he's missed relatively easy chances for a top striker. 

Diego rarely scored more than one goal in a game but it was often the decisive goal and he would generally score fairly consistently. 

I can't fault his movement and positioning, as you say he wouldn't be getting so many chances if he wasn't doing that right and I also agree he wants too many touches. He's sometimes taking a 2nd or 3rd touch before trying to get his shot away when what you're hoping for is one touch to set himself and then to shoot. 

We do need goals from midfield. Seems like we tried to push Bakayoko up a bit more recently but it turns out he's taken scoring lessons from Claude Makelele. No idea if Drinkwater could score a few, he's got himself into a few good positions in his recent appearances. Fabregas has always disappointed me with his scoring record for us. For a player so good at passing the ball he doesn't seem to be able to pick out a spot in the back of the net! 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I just feel like there's been a few times when we've really needed him to come up with the goods and he's missed relatively easy chances for a top striker. 

Diego rarely scored more than one goal in a game but it was often the decisive goal and he would generally score fairly consistently. 

I can't fault his movement and positioning, as you say he wouldn't be getting so many chances if he wasn't doing that right and I also agree he wants too many touches. He's sometimes taking a 2nd or 3rd touch before trying to get his shot away when what you're hoping for is one touch to set himself and then to shoot. 

We do need goals from midfield. Seems like we tried to push Bakayoko up a bit more recently but it turns out he's taken scoring lessons from Claude Makelele. No idea if Drinkwater could score a few, he's got himself into a few good positions in his recent appearances. Fabregas has always disappointed me with his scoring record for us. For a player so good at passing the ball he doesn't seem to be able to pick out a spot in the back of the net! 

I think you may be suffering from a syndrome referred to as the "rebound". Morata is you're first girlfriend after you're massive love (costa) (also known as the Avraham Grant Syndrome) 

If we look at his goals

First one against Burnly, of the bench to get us back in with a shot

Everton, second goal, so we already had the lead

Leicester He got the opener

Stoke the opener and a further 2

Athaltico away the winner

United  - the Winner

Westbroam - the opener

Newcastle the second goal to take it to 2-1

So discounting the burly goal because we didn't make the full come back. If we weight deadlock breaking goals as significant and match winning goals the same. 

6 of his 10 total goals have been very important for us. That is a pretty damd good conversion rate of important goals

12 minutes ago, barak81 said:

I think you may be suffering from a syndrome referred to as the "rebound". Morata is you're first girlfriend after you're massive love (costa) (also known as the Avraham Grant Syndrome) 

If we look at his goals

First one against Burnly, of the bench to get us back in with a shot

Everton, second goal, so we already had the lead

Leicester He got the opener

Stoke the opener and a further 2

Athaltico away the winner

United  - the Winner

Westbroam - the opener

Newcastle the second goal to take it to 2-1

So discounting the burly goal because we didn't make the full come back. If we weight deadlock breaking goals as significant and match winning goals the same. 

6 of his 10 total goals have been very important for us. That is a pretty damd good conversion rate of important goals

Michy got the winner at Atletico?  

I agree with your overall point though...Morata can come up with big goals.  He missed his opportunity for a big goal yesterday, so it's most fresh in people's mind.  There is something about his touch though that has me very slightly worried.  He will take too many touches in crucial areas and miss his opportunity to score.

Morata is also more technical than Diego...by a longshot.  He has flair and the ability to dribble and drive by folks that we haven't had up front in a long time.  It's refreshing to see him link up with Hazard and Fabregas.  

6 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

Michy got the winner at Atletico?  

I agree with your overall point though...Morata can come up with big goals.  He missed his opportunity for a big goal yesterday, so it's most fresh in people's mind.  There is something about his touch though that has me very slightly worried.  He will take too many touches in crucial areas and miss his opportunity to score.

Morata is also more technical than Diego...by a longshot.  He has flair and the ability to dribble and drive by folks that we haven't had up front in a long time.  It's refreshing to see him link up with Hazard and Fabregas.  

You are correct, he got the equalizer which is still I would daub. Decisive goal. 

2 hours ago, barak81 said:

I get what you mean though, when the ball falls at Morata's feet and he is baring down on the goalkeeper, i actually give it a 50/50 and it should be 90/10 in favour of the striker, the likes of Kane, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Aguero, missing a one on one for them is like a collectors item 

I'd put Kane in a similar light to Morata on that front his movement creates a lot of chances but hisfinishing ability isn' spectacular