Jose Mourinho thread

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sorry, but that's how it came across to me.

Not having a pop at you or anyone really and I know there are some folk that will never be able to bring themselves to criticise Mourinho.

Like many I WAS a massive fan, but not anymore. Sorry, but if he was as good as he thought he was and as we all thought he was, and he was paid an absolutely massive salary because of that, then it shouldn't have ended like it did. He might not have been 100% to blame for everything, but he was central to everything and when you are as good a coach as Mourinho, there is no way it should have gone the way it did.

Well said.

I detest Mourinho for what he has done to our club. He destroyed Chelsea the first time round by alienating our best players (Gallas and Robben). He did even worse the second time, shipping out talents like Mata, Luis, de Bruyne, Schurrle, Lukaku. The net result is that despite the largest salary bill in the premier league we face the first season without European competition in 20 years.

Gallas was the lynchpin of the best centre back pairing in the history of English football. Ever. Mourinho forced him out to accommodate Carvalho and the rest is history.

Terry and Carvalho was the best CB pairing the premiership has ever seen in my opinion. Won how many competitions together and only conceded 15 goals in there first premier league season as a pairing, a record I doubt will ever be beaten. Carvalho was a great player. Galas played LB under Mourinho till the swap for Cole which Chelsea got the better deal out of it.

I detest Mourinho for what he has done to our club. He destroyed Chelsea the first time round by alienating our best players (Gallas and Robben). He did even worse the second time, shipping out talents like Mata, Luis, de Bruyne, Schurrle, Lukaku. The net result is that despite the largest salary bill in the premier league we face the first season without European competition in 20 years.

Yep destroyed them by winning six trophies in three seasons in his first stint and he also destroyed them by winning the double last season.

You all make very good points chaps. No real argument from me.

I know at times I must come across as anti-Mourinho and I guess NOW, perhaps that is the case. Loved the guy until this season and I suppose deep down, the way it all ended, I feel let down. I wouldn't go as far as some have suggested that he actually engineered the situation so he could take the vacant (soon to be) job at Man Utd. But although he pledged his love for us and he won the PL and Capital One cup last season, I just got the feeling things had changed. A sixth sense - might be wrong, but just like the old cliche of getting back with an old flame and hoping to rekindle what you had in the past, I got the feeling that Jose hoped it would be like that but the magic just wasn't there anymore - he wasn't The Happy One for long.

Always respect your views Nibs since you speak sensibly and rationally.

There is a question I do have though and that's what was the distinct impression from Mourinho that you made the form the opinion that he wasn't the happy one anymore? Was it early in his stint or just this season and what was he doing that made you believe he was no longer the happy one?

When he left the first time I was gutted. The second time not really, I felt it was kind of inevitable. i also think there is enough culpability for all sides to accept.  Still I dont feel too sorry for someone who is a multi millionare and who financially doesn't need to work again.

I love how it was Jose who almost got us relegated ....well you know, never in the actual relegation zone and well before christmas.

But lets actually imagine we almost got relegated....how was it the manager and not the players who almost got us relegated?

As many of the "Jose out camp" have admitted, they stopped playing for him....and the club...and the fans.... and to even collect a pay cheque with the barest semblance of dignity

So if it was all just down to the payers not playing for the manager, in what mollycoddle world is it all the managers fault that the players are intentionally not giving it their all? Try that at your job, let me know if they fire you or the manager.

Who knows, maybe our amazing board has given players a clause in their contracts that state "In the event of not being happy with your manager, please feel free to collect your whole pay while putting in a fraction of the effort expected". I suspect if the players were contractors and football was like every other industry, many of them would of been done for breach of contract in terms of failure to perform. But this in Football in the modern world where apparently players can do no wrong and can hold the hopes and emotions of the fans hostage while collecting massive pay.....all because they dont fancy the manager (how many here actually like their own manager?)

Oh, and good thing we caved and gave the players what they wanted. Not only do they have the better track record, but clearly they are desperate to be here and do well....Oh wait.

My stance has never been Mourinho is faultless.

My stance is that either the manager or some of the players needed switching and in the interests of the club, it was better for certain players to go for a myriad of reasons.

Amongst them the obviousness that some of those players wont be here long regardless.

That the manager is a far better bet for success.

That, believe it or not, its probably going to be harder to replace Mourinho than Hazard (a problem inherent with going through managers at a rate of 13 in 12 years, many of them top level).

That the squad needed mixing up anyways.

That selling players can raise funds (important in Romans new era of posterity) while sacking Mourinho was going to cost millions and send a clear message of the lack of support managers can expect at Stamford Bridge.

Oh, and chiefly, that the club is never going to be well served in the long run by players fickle enough to do what they did pre-Christmas (or some are still doing) when they are willing to sell out the manager who only guided them to their only BPL title ever (save a very few), the club who paid them handsomely and the fans who sang their names when everyone else in the country despised them.

Quite frankly, Ive not seen a single thing that has changed my mind.....

Great post... It's amazing how you can present people with crystal clear logic and they just refuse to see or accept anything that takes them of there cockamany path, but then again, it does look like Trump could be the next US preseident so who the f knows. 

The only reason I can really accept for a dislike of Jose is that he does bring the drama. He hates losing, he wears his heart on his sleeve and it is there for all to see both when we win ad when we loose. Personally I loved that about him but I can see how some people would like the more refined, roy hodgson style of management but if i look back through out history, most top managers had this "defect" Clough, Ferguson, Cappelo, Lippi, these guys hated loosing and it showed. I guess we get the odd affibal guy do well, Bobby Robson, every one loved Bobby... and now it looks my Claudio may win the league, I still can't quite wrap my head around that, but by and large I think at this level of the game, the real winners are the ones that hate loseing almost as much as they love winning (money ball) and for those that didn't like that about Jose, I only hope that Conte doesn't actually speak any English for you 

Yeah I have.

Same. But the argument for using youth is that you develop something for the long-term. Well Mourinho forged the Cech-Terry-Lampard-Drogba spine that lasted from 2004 through to 2012. If you listen to them, or other players like Cole or Robben, then you hear them talk about the impact he had on them especially mentally.

Jose defined a generation at this club. 

Always respect your views Nibs since you speak sensibly and rationally.

There is a question I do have though and that's what was the distinct impression from Mourinho that you made the form the opinion that he wasn't the happy one anymore? Was it early in his stint or just this season and what was he doing that made you believe he was no longer the happy one?

Cheers Jezz.

Hard to put my finger on it to be honest and my memory is not what it used to be, but whereas I thought and hoped he would come back and everything would go just how he planned it would and his mood would reflect that, it wasn't the case. I just picked up in his demeanour that things were not right, even when we were winning games and the trophies last season. Many of the interviews seemed strained and he wasn't acting like someone who had "come back home". I got that impression fairly early, although obviously this season, things escalated.

Edited by Nibs

Cheers Jezz.

Hard to put my finger on it to be honest and my memory is not what it used to be, but whereas I thought and hoped he would come back and everything would go just how he planned it would and his mood would reflect that, it wasn't the case. I just picked up in his demeanour that things were not right, even when we were winning games and the trophies last season. Many of the interviews seemed strained and he wasn't acting like someone who had "come back home". I got that impression fairly early, although obviously this season, things escalated.

Maybe his father's brain haemorrhage soured his mood a bit.

Or maybe it was the subsequent stroke. Or the one after that.

Cheers Jezz.

Fair enough to have that opinion and thinking about it you may be onto something but I'd need to go back to re-watch interviews and check out his general demeanour especially in 2013 and 2014 if this is possibly true or not.

I must admit at the time I didn't sense any vibes like that from Jose and after he signed a new four-year contract in the summer I think this went some way to alleviating the fears of many who thought Jose wouldn't want to pledge his future to the club in the long-term.

I tend to agree with ShedEnder91 though that his father's illness may have played a significant role in his mood and general demeanour especially towards the end.

He did appear to be somewhat more grumpier and frustrated especially this season but whether that was due to the form of the playing squad and what happened behind the scenes with transfer dealings in the summer or whether it was personal circumstances no really knows for certain.

Edited by Jezz

He built the squad
that won the double.

You seem to struggle finishing your sentence, thought I'd help. Lets see if I can help you further with that line of logic.....

Then he wanted to change it up after obvious problems were displayed over half a season (and still picked up the title) and got backed by the board providing players not even fit for the bench. To be fair, the board did try with a couple of bids for quality players after the season had already started....lets just ignore that even a fish monger knew they would fail.

Real shame that he wasnt given the chance to do it again in January or the summer.

Funny how some people use the stupid arguement in the quote above. I say stupid because it is. Yes, he built the squad...it then won the double... he then wanted to refresh the squad, it didnt happen, oh now its his fault for building the squad in the first place. Boy, we'd be much better off if Mourinho had just kept the same side that finished 6th then a distant 3rd the two seasons prior to his arrival.

The problem wasnt building this squad...IT WON THE f**kING DOUBLE

The problem was (oh, still is) that it became clear to the manager (and everyone who cared to look) that the squad needed something more in order to remain #1 in England and hopefully go further in Europe....oh wait, thats not the problem, thats identifying the problem.....The problem is the board did not a f**king single viable thing to address it or support the manager.

that won the double.

You seem to struggle finishing your sentence, thought I'd help. Lets see if I can help you further with that line of logic.....

Then he wanted to change it up after obvious problems were displayed over half a season (and still picked up the title) and got backed by the board providing players not even fit for the bench. To be fair, the board did try with a couple of bids for quality players after the season had already started....lets just ignore that even a fish monger knew they would fail.

Real shame that he wasnt given the chance to do it again in January or the summer.

Funny how some people use the stupid arguement in the quote above. I say stupid because it is. Yes, he built the squad...it then won the double... he then wanted to refresh the squad, it didnt happen, oh now its his fault for building the squad in the first place. Boy, we'd be much better off if Mourinho had just kept the same side that finished 6th then a distant 3rd the two seasons prior to his arrival.

The problem wasnt building this squad...IT WON THE f**kING DOUBLE

The problem was (oh, still is) that it became clear to the manager (and everyone who cared to look) that the squad needed something more in order to remain #1 in England and hopefully go further in Europe....oh wait, thats not the problem, thats identifying the problem.....The problem is the board did not a f**king single viable thing to address it or support the manager.

Thank you for saving me the time